PDA

View Full Version : manic panic hair colour - if you used it, how did it go?

Rosa Harris
April 17th, 2014, 04:03 AM
did it take well?
did it dry and damage the hair?
how long did it last? and how did you take care of it during that time to make it last?
what mistakes did you make?
did you regret it?

Verdandi
April 17th, 2014, 09:52 AM
I used manic panic purple haze amplified on unbleached (but colour damaged ends) for a dip dye.

did it take well? - Yes, surprisingly, since my hair is rather dark.

did it dry and damage the hair? - Not the manic panic itself, but the clarifying wash prior to application is a bit drying.

how long did it last? and how did you take care of it during that time to make it last? - About two weeks, but I use a s&c that isn't meant for colour treated hair. It contains tea tree oil and strips colour like nothing else.

what mistakes did you make? - Except using the wrong things to wash (on purpose though) and managed to colour myself as much as the hair ;)

did you regret it? - Not at all

Calaelen
April 17th, 2014, 10:44 AM
Manic panic is non damaging. it is the usually necessary bleaching before hand that does the Damage.
I have used several shades of Manic Panic over bleached hair in the past, and it didn't do much damage as my hair is extremely hard to damage, even with bleach.

What I found is that Manic panic does not last as long as other similar deposit only crazy shades such as Special FX, or Ion.

I am a hair stylist, so I never had mistakes of my own, however most who do the bleaching before hand on their own do not know that bleach will work faster on the roots due to heat from the scalp. This results in bright white roots, but more yellow or coppery length depending on the starting colour.

All in all these sorts of product work on each head differently, and some colours reds and greens especially fade faster than others. The main thing that will affect your outcome is whether or not you bleach prior, and how your hair holds up to that.
I never regretted it. Depending on the colour/brand I used I got anywhere from 6 weeks to 1 year of colour, and most lasted on the longer end of that.

oatmealpie
April 17th, 2014, 11:10 AM
I found Manic Panic to be extremely conditioning and led to some very shiny hair.

Quixii
April 17th, 2014, 11:36 AM
Manic Panic always makes my hair feel extra conditioned, not damaged at all. :)

For me, doing it unbleached, essentially virgin hair, it always takes well at first, but fades fairly quickly, within a few washes. I find that the colours sticks around in its most faded appearance for a long while after, though. When I did rainbow, the green stayed around for what felt like forever, just adding this weird greenish tinge to those sections for the longest time. Purple can leave this really faint, barely noticeable greyish tinge, that I don't mind as much. :shrug: I also rarely shampoo the length, so that might have something to do with it.

I've never regretted dyeing my hair. :)

Robot Ninja
April 17th, 2014, 12:14 PM
did it take well?
Fuschia Shock took well on my faded red box-dyed ends; Purple Haze not so well. Both took well on my my medium brown roots and very well on my greys. Mystic Violet did not take at all and I was mad.

did it dry and damage the hair?
I do find it a bit drying honestly, but nothing conditioner can't fix. It's not damaging at all.

how long did it last? and how did you take care of it during that time to make it last?
I redo my roots every month or so, and it doesn't fade too much during that time. I only need to wash my hair every 5 days or so, and CO-wash with the coldest water I can stand which isn't actually all that cold because I am not a polar bear.

what mistakes did you make?
The first time I used it I rinsed it out in the shower. It looked like a murder scene and I looked like a mutant. Yes, the run-off will stain your skin. The stuff stains everything, especially the fuchsia. My shower curtain is pink, and there are pink fingerprints on my showerhead and my bathroom door even though I scrubbed my hands with soap twice before touching them. It's best to use it when you don't have anything planned for the next day, unless you don't mind being colorful in public.

did you regret it?
Nope, and I'm gonna keep doing it.

spidermom
April 17th, 2014, 03:25 PM
No damage, lots of shine.
Manic Panic faded out really fast, but it took Punky by Jerome Russell about 4 months to fade away completely.

chrissy-b
April 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Soft, shiny hair after application. I used it to tone down brassiness from bleaching. It lasted about two weeks. I only used a quarter-sized drop of the violet with a 1/2 cup of conditioner to dilute it, so that might be why it faded so quickly. Alone, it stains really well so be careful of drips. I'll do it again if I feel like going more ashy for a time.