PDA

View Full Version : ACV rinse with oils to make it smell nice?

snuflan
April 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Hey guys! I've been doing ACV rinses (and my hair absolutely loves it!) but.. I don't love the smell ;) I went to a shop to look for essential oils to make my hair smell nice.. But I didn't really like any of them :/ So I took a phew drops of my natural vanilla perfume and added that. It made my hair feel a little bit greasy after the rinse so I rinsed with water after.

Now. Can I keep doing this or should I buy a real essential oil? If so, which one would mask the smell best? :)

These are the ingredients on the perfume:
*jojoba olja (Simmondsia Chinensis), *vanilj (vanilla planifolia), *jasmine (Jasminum Grandiflorum), **gardenia (gardenia jasminodes).

Nadine <3
April 16th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Honestly, when I do a vinegar rinse, I do it between the shampoo and my conditioner. No smell and it works the same for me. :)

mysticmanic
April 16th, 2014, 01:47 PM
I personally like the smell of the ACV, but I quite often mix mine with rosemary essential oil or lavender essential oil! I absolutely love it. I find that it overpowers the ACV smell. I use one part ACV, two parts water. Then I add 10-15 drops of the rosemary or lavender essential oil :) (If you have blonde hair, I'd suggest using lavender, because the rosemary has slight darkening properties)

aztecangel
April 16th, 2014, 01:58 PM
Rosemary and lavender oil. I had dreadlocks for a little over a year and this was how I washed them! :) It's good for the scalp even if you don't have dreads.

snuflan
April 16th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Thank you for your answers! :) I think I'll go to the shop and smell the lavender again, maybe I was in a bad mood or something because nothing smelled good!

I have noticed though, that my hair gets waaay curlier with the ACV rinse, has anyone else noticed this as well?

Frozen_Farmgirl
April 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
I've never had a problem with the ACV smell personally . Once my hair dries the smell is gone, though adding oils might be fun just to make my hair smell nice :)

umbrellabones
April 16th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I add citrus essential oils like lemon and orange because I think they do the best job of making the acidic vinegar smell sweeter and prettier. I think the citrus works better with the smell of vinegar more than trying to mask it with other nice smelling oils that aren't acidic smelling. that's just my opinion though(:

ErinLeigh
April 16th, 2014, 06:12 PM
A bottle of citric acid power would give you a similar effect on hair without the smell. Just in case the vinegar becomes too much for your senses.

Hadley
April 16th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I would do it between shampoos and conditioner as well if you are doing one. Just make sure to rinse well.

Carolyn
April 16th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I would suggest trying white vinegar instead of ACV. Even when I used ACV I never thought the smell lingered once my hair was dry.

snuflan
April 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM
Thank you for your tips and tricks! I have bought some lavender now and will try that next wash :) I always thought the ACV lingered in the hair even though it was dry and it was kinda weird when my boyfriend was like "Umm what is it that smells so sour?!" Hehe. My hair is too short to use conditioner, but when I have longer hair I will try that technique!