PDA

View Full Version : How do you oil your hair?

Budgie
April 16th, 2014, 10:15 AM
I'm sorry if this sounds dumb, but everytime I try to add oil to my hair it looks limp and stringy. I really want to stop the frizz and protect my hair though. How do I add oil without looking gross?

höpönasu
April 16th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Just a few drops on the ends or length of your hair.

Budgie
April 16th, 2014, 10:18 AM
How do you make sure the oil is spread evenly?

Vrindi
April 16th, 2014, 10:19 AM
If you want to use it to control frizz, then you just need a VERY SMALL amount. Take a drop or two of your favorite oil (if it's solid coconut, just scrape up a little bit) and rub it all over your palms. Your hands should be slightly shiny, but not like you dipped your hands in oil. Then run your palms over your hair.

Also, what kind of oil are you using? I find that olive oil makes my fine hair look stringy, but it loves coconut or almond oil. I can put tons of coconut oil in it before it looks greasy. I only need a little bit of almond oil.

höpönasu
April 16th, 2014, 10:22 AM
^ Exactly like that. Sometimes it takes practice to find out good amount of oil suitable for your hair without making it look oily. I myself am an over-oiler but since I have my hair bunned or braided whenever they're oily it doesn't even mind. :o

ositarosita
April 16th, 2014, 10:22 AM
You can feel when the oil is even dispersed. If it's for frizz control you know your done when your frizz is gone. As it literally only takes about 2-3 drops. I second Vrindi, what type of oil are you using??Simply because it may be too heavy for daily use and may be best for hot oil treatments etc. For instance I can't use pure olive, or coconut but my hair loves super light oils like sweet almond oil, argan or macadamia

queenofheartz44
April 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM
How do you make sure the oil is spread evenly?

I oil at night before bed, and what I do is like Vrindi suggests and take a tiny amount and apply it to your ends. After that I take my BBB and brush from the ends up or my wooden comb and go from the ends up to distribute it. When that is done I do a french braid and go to sleep! The braid helps if I accidentally get too much oil, also doing it at night gives it a chance for your hair to absorb it so you shouldn't be greasy in the morning.

Budgie
April 16th, 2014, 10:25 AM
I was using coconut oil. I guess I was using too much.

queenofheartz44
April 16th, 2014, 10:27 AM
I was using coconut oil. I guess I was using too much.

I use coconut oil too, a very tiny bit of it goes a very long way. :D

Madora
April 16th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Heidi W's hair oiling tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjVwPKMQDYk

Sharysa
April 16th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I would caution people on saying "just a few drops" without fail. Maybe for thin/fine hair or just oiling the ends or scalp, that's fine, but my hair is nearly four inches around, coarse, and hip-length while straight. It's borderline wavy, so it tends to get dry easily; I need to comb oil through it all, so about three or four palmfuls of almond oil does it after it's half dry from a shower.

Imalath
April 16th, 2014, 12:51 PM
I use a bit of coconut oil the size of a grain of rice, rub it between the palms of my hands until it melts, then squeeze the length of my hair between them in long strokes from the ears down. If my ends are very dry, I will put a second grain of oil on my braid tassel every night. After washing, I use a bit of oil the size of a split pea and do the same motion while my hair is still damp. My scalp gets greasy before the oil makes my hair stringy, but my ends are very dry to begin with.

Weewah
April 16th, 2014, 01:48 PM
I only use oil as a pre-wash treatment the night before washing. I put in just enough so its kind of shiny/oily looking but not stringy. I can't trust myself to not put too much oil in when styling, and my conditioners contain oils anyways.

mysticmanic
April 16th, 2014, 02:00 PM
I like to oil my scalp/roots on days where I won't be seeing much of anyone! For daily use, I do exactly what Vrindi said and just add a small amount to my palms, rub my hands together a few times, and gently run my hands through the length and ends of my hair. For daily use, I like to use grape seed oil and coconut oil! <3

Aderyn
April 16th, 2014, 02:02 PM
I would caution people on saying "just a few drops" without fail. Maybe for thin/fine hair or just oiling the ends or scalp, that's fine, but my hair is nearly four inches around, coarse, and hip-length while straight. It's borderline wavy, so it tends to get dry easily; I need to comb oil through it all, so about three or four palmfuls of almond oil does it after it's half dry from a shower.

This. My hair is pretty fine, but also about 4 inches around, hip length straight and just a few drops doesn't cut it for me either. I get my palms glossy with coconut oil 2-3 times at the least to be able to lightly oil the bottom third of my hair.

I only use a few drops (or less) if I'm taming frizz up on my canopy or doing a very light oiling of the ends (which is usually all I need, but still).

Saldana
April 16th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Just to add to all the (very valid) wisdom shared above - if you're following the good advice (use just a little if you're getting too greasy, etc), you might want to try a few different oils, just to see how they work for you. For instance, my hair likes coconut oil in the winter, but jojoba oil in the spring and summer. And it doesn't like olive oil, ever. Even though my skin loves olive oil, my hair hates it.

ARG
April 16th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Just to add to all the (very valid) wisdom shared above - if you're following the good advice (use just a little if you're getting too greasy, etc), you might want to try a few different oils, just to see how they work for you. For instance, my hair likes coconut oil in the winter, but jojoba oil in the spring and summer. And it doesn't like olive oil, ever. Even though my skin loves olive oil, my hair hates it.

^Definitely that! I can swim in coconut oil and not have a problem, but avocado makes it go stringy and oil for a couple of day until my hair absorbs it all (I bun it instead of washing it out). I use a nickel sized amount of coconut oil, rubbed inbetween my hands, using one hand to gather my length (from shoulders down) into a pony, then with the other oiled hand I swirl the ends in until all the oil is gone from both hands. One oiled hand for the entire length and another for the ends.

I started off small, english pea sized and gradually increased until I knew my hair's tolerance.