PDA

View Full Version : Cones vs. No Cones: The Experiment

ChristineB
April 16th, 2014, 09:24 AM
First off: Thank you all for your WONDERFUL help! I am very grateful to have a site like this where I can come to for advice. <3

I apologize for making a follow-up thread on this so late. My life has been crazy busy the past month and I have barely had time to get on here but I appreciate everyone's time and patience. I took bits of all your advice, and I went cone-free. Kind of like the curly girl method, since some people suggested that the cause of my frizz may be from being curlier/wavier than I previously thought. In the past I have always used cone conditioners (Pantene namely). No shampoo.

(Here is the thread for reference: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121406&page=2)

The first time a few weeks ago, I did a big clarifying wash (TresEmme) and followed up with cone-free conditioner (also TresEmme) mixed with 2 tbsp. of organic honey. My hair looked and felt AMAZING. It was silky smooth, soft, and bouncy with ZERO frizz. My dandruff cleared up completely for the whole week! Was almost too good to be true. It did tangle quite a bit, however. Though nothing I couldn't deal with.

Here it is after washing it in the way stated above:

http://i59.tinypic.com/2cq0f3a.png

BUT.

The following washes were not so wonderful. The first wash without sulfate shampoo and my dandruff came back in FULL force. My hair is back to being frizzy but LIMP, although very shiny. It also tangles no matter what I do, and unless it is in a braid all day it will become a big mess very fast. Even taking it out of a braid is a chore since it has no slip!!

I don’t understand what I am doing wrong here. Maybe I need to keep washing my hair with sulfates once a week? Is it possible for your hair to actually like having sulfates?

Thank you all in advance for your help and support.

ositarosita
April 16th, 2014, 09:56 AM
My hair and scalp work best with sulfates. So it's very possible it's what works best for you

Did you oil or seal your ends in anyway??(it would allow slip control frizz seal in moisturise and control tangles

**Just wanted to say that your hair is AMAZING and is now my new inspiration, you have amazing length, thickness, the waves, the shine .. gorgeous

ErinLeigh
April 16th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I think it is very possible for hair or scalp to prefer sulfates.
I also think its ok to use them. Its hard when you want to try and do something "better" for hair and hair doesn't agree. Just trust your instincts. If scalp reacts well to sulfates just use them and then find a way to keep hydrated afterwards with some good conditioners, leave ins etc. Personally I love the WCC (condition twice) thread. With using cones, I use a cone free conditioner first, then the coney one second to seal in all the moisture. I had some great hair days doing that.

Your hair looks so very pretty. Your obviously doing something "right" so think of it that way. :) I mean it is truly just jaw dropping.

Also, if your hair misses the slip of cones, that's ok too. They are going to mostly be washed out from shampoo anyway. They may even help give the cuticle extra protection from the sulfates. Win win :)

I think the reason you had such a great experience first wash was simply because clarified hair soaks in conditioner better. I always do a really deep condition after clarifying. Doing the honey/conditioner combo probably gave hair a big burst of moisture. You could simply keep your normal routine and add that clarify/deep condition in when needed to restart hair once in a while. When my hair is well moisturized I have no frizz. I think that's what you experienced and it is wonderful. Just adding retaining more moisture (whether you use cones or not) may help take you back to that result.

Whatever you decide to do, if hair is responding positively to it, then just know you are doing what is right for you.

EDIT: did you have dandruff when you were cowashing with Pantene or did that come only after the one wash with sulfates? I overlooked the part you didn't use shampoo before and were a cowasher prior. Darn tiny phone

lazuliblue
April 16th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I have read that quite a few people have an 'adjustment period' when first doing the CG method, perhaps that is what is happening with you? Some people suggested you stick it out for 6 weeks to see if it is going to help (I've only just started CG so I don't know what's going to happen to my hair!)

sarahthegemini
April 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM
When I first went cone-free, it was because my hair was quite dry and I thought why not? Immediately, my ends felt like straw but I persevered and after a few weeks, my hair was soft, smooth, shiny and slippy. I'd say give it a bit longer to see, but if it doesn't work, go back to sulfates and silicones.

Aderyn
April 16th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I remember when I first ditched sulfates and switched to more "natural" shampoos and conditioners (which didn't contain cones, but at the time I didn't even know what cones were in regards to hair care), my hair was also a bit dry at first. It can take a while to restore the moisture balance of your hair, especially if the way you've been using cones has led to the blocking out of moisture.

Also, there's nothing wrong with using cones.

sourgrl
April 16th, 2014, 01:57 PM
My hair prefers a sulfate and cone free routine. My DS4, who has a mix of waves and tight curls, prefers sulfates and cones. There is a transition period when you go sulfate and cone free. Regardless, what works for one doesn't work for all. Give your hair time to adjust to the new routine then go from there.

lapushka
April 16th, 2014, 02:16 PM
I don’t understand what I am doing wrong here. Maybe I need to keep washing my hair with sulfates once a week? Is it possible for your hair to actually like having sulfates?

Yes, definitely possible. I always say (ad infinitum) that it's about what your hair wants, not about what *you* want, however determined you are to go natural or go this or that route. Your hair has the final word.

I, for instance, would love to CO-wash or would love to go with a milder shampoo, but because of seborrheic dermatitis, I need to have my scalp washed with harsher sulfates. It is the way it is. I have long stopped protesting and just go with what my hair wants, which on top of that is silicones as well. Oh shock horror. ;) It's really no problem because nobody here is going to "condemn" you because of the methods you use!

ErinLeigh
April 16th, 2014, 03:04 PM
double post

snuflan
April 16th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Lapushka, ACV rinses helped a lot with my seborrheic dermatitis :) You have probably already tried, but I figured I would throw that out there :)

starlamelissa
April 16th, 2014, 03:15 PM
lots of people prefer a sulphate and coney routine, including me.

lapushka
April 16th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Lapushka, ACV rinses helped a lot with my seborrheic dermatitis :) You have probably already tried, but I figured I would throw that out there :)

Tried everything under the sun, and only Nizoral helps when it's full-blown SD (the harsh sulfates just "prevent" any SD from cropping up in between bouts) - but thanks anyway for thinking of me! :flower:

jeanniet
April 16th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Yes, definitely possible. I always say (ad infinitum) that it's about what your hair wants, not about what *you* want, however determined you are to go natural or go this or that route. Your hair has the final word.

I, for instance, would love to CO-wash or would love to go with a milder shampoo, but because of seborrheic dermatitis, I need to have my scalp washed with harsher sulfates. It is the way it is. I have long stopped protesting and just go with what my hair wants, which on top of that is silicones as well. Oh shock horror. ;) It's really no problem because nobody here is going to "condemn" you because of the methods you use!

Yep, this, only opposite for me. ;) My hair hates sulfates and cones--I'd actually like to be able to use cones, but it's just a no-go. Use what you think works best. There are no hard and fast rules.