PDA

View Full Version : Sweat and hair

LunaLuvsU
April 15th, 2014, 08:53 PM
I was wonder what does sweat do to the hair and scalp if not removed. I dance and, obviously, I sweat quite a bit. Its average for me to dance almost everyday for around an hour (though im on a break at the moment) and I dont want to have to wash everyday. Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping it clean? I remember that before my break I would just comb out my hair thoroughly, do a little massage/scratch, and let it dry. That was before I actually took care of my hair though.

Aderyn
April 15th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Have you thought about just doing a water rinse/wash to clean your scalp in between your normal wash days? Or you could try a diluted wash.

Whenever I get particularly sweaty, that is more than sufficient for getting rid of the icky, gunky feeling. Not just for my hair, either, a water rinse in the shower overall gets rid of the sweatiness.

LunaLuvsU
April 15th, 2014, 09:12 PM
No I havent. Would that be alright to do almost everyday? When my hair gets wet, even if I dont use anything in it, the damaged part (about 20 - 23 inches) will poof or frizz and wont calm down until its been in my silk wrap for at least an hour. I guess I can just wear it up.. Im someone who wears their hair down most of the time.

Aderyn
April 15th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Well, I get my hair wet everyday without issue. YMMV, though.

How do you dry your hair? Have you tried letting it dry in a t-shirt or in a turbie towel? Using a little bit of oil or something on damp/wet hair to help with the poofiness/frizziness and definition? Braiding it when it's damp so it's a bit smoother when dry?

You could also try doing a scalp only wash of sorts to see how that works, just braid your hair and hold it out of the way while you rinse your scalp with water.

There are lots of benefits to wearing your hair up, though that's up to you. Just a few suggestions, worth giving a try and I think you could even give them a try prior to dance starting up again.

Syren_Curls
April 15th, 2014, 09:37 PM
I read about a woman with calf length hair's washing routine on another unrelated board at some point... she would bun her hair then loosen the bun in the shower to only rinse or wash her roots and scalp with a squirt bottle. Maybe something like that could be modified to work for you.

Otherwise, if you have to wet your whole length, maybe put in a leave in-even with a water only cleanse-to help temper the poof and frizz.

LunaLuvsU
April 15th, 2014, 10:41 PM
How do you dry your hair?

I usually do the turban until its a little drier than damp after that I comb it out with a wide tooth comb. If I just let my hair dry without combing it my bangs/shorter hairs go back to S waves and loose ringlets.

I will try rinsing my scalp with water. Thank you guys for the suggestions :)

trolleypup
April 16th, 2014, 12:35 AM
*shrug* I doubt that a couple days of sweat will destroy your hair. I've not noticed damage or increased shedding from the periodic times I spend my days working like a dog on trailcrew, and spending the evenings soaking in hot tubs (with no hair washing). I'd second the motion to use water only or water only scalp washes from time to time. I have noticed that water only when the scalp is still hot and wet work pretty well.