PDA

View Full Version : I spent too much time in the sun and now my scalp hair is dry :(

FallingDarkness
April 15th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I put my hair in an English braid and went outside, because it was an oddly beautiful day for Portland, but now I regret it sooo much because my hair (just the top where the sun had a good shot) is crazy dry!!! I hope it's not damaged, but I suspect it is. Is there any way I can fix this? :( My poor new growth... What's the point of taking such good care of my hair when I go and do something so stupid?!

swearnsue
April 15th, 2014, 08:36 PM
You can put some aloe vera on your scalp if you got a sunburn on where your part is. That's happened to me a few times and the scalp heals pretty fast. Remember not to freak out if it peels in a few days.

For the hair, do whatever you do to moisturize normally. Leave the conditioner on a bit longer though.

Buy a hat!

FallingDarkness
April 15th, 2014, 08:40 PM
My scalp isn't burned. I'm the palest person on the planet - my skin never tans OR burns, lucky me. Except it would be nice to be not a vampire at some point.
I'm DEFINITELY buying a hat, there's no way I'm going to let the sun ruin my gorgeous healthy soft locks of hair. Just when it's finally getting longish, too.
So I should apply my conditioning/moisturizing treatments to the top of my head hair too?

Aderyn
April 15th, 2014, 08:44 PM
I second the recommendation for just moisturizing as you would normally.

I doubt it would leave permanent damage. Think of all the people with beautiful, healthy hair living in much sunnier climates than the pacific northwest, it will take a bit more than just one sunny day to leave damage. :)

ETA: Just try getting your hair wet and letting it dry. Usually does the trick for me for the few times I've been caught in the sun for too long. Maybe a diluted condition to the top of your head. Then reassess and see if more is needed.

FallingDarkness
April 15th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Oh, okay, good. Next time I go out in the sun (assuming it comes back sometime) and if I don't have a hat, I'm going to dump coconut oil in my hair before I go out. LOL.
Honey and conditioner combo it is then! :) IDK why but honey is really working for my hair... :)

Syren_Curls
April 15th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I concur about the conditioner...even better about the honey ;-)

You might even try a heavier oiling and scalp massage to help distribute your natural oils if you still need added moisturizing. Or even a leave in.

Larki
April 15th, 2014, 10:25 PM
If you plan on hanging out in the sun in the future, I'd put a fairly heavy dose of leave in conditioner in. On ALL my hair, not just the length, scalp included, and sunblock on the part. That's what I do when I know I'm going to be spending a few hours outside, and it prevents damage/burns and drying out for me. And I'm also very pale, as a blonde.

ErinLeigh
April 15th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Oh, okay, good. Next time I go out in the sun (assuming it comes back sometime) and if I don't have a hat, I'm going to dump coconut oil in my hair before I go out. LOL.
Honey and conditioner combo it is then! :) IDK why but honey is really working for my hair... :)

Honey and conditioner is my heaven. Nothing works better for my hair. You could even add some aloe to it for a full on SMT just to help the scalp since aloe is good from after sun care. Lately I prefer to skip the aloe personally, but it may help in this situation. I did the same thing. Spent day at beach with no hat. I oiled hair, then deep conditioned and all seems fine. Don't worry too much. At least we know better next time :)