PDA

View Full Version : How to stretch Panacea usage?

Leslieslsa
April 15th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Okay so I just got the jars in the mail, and they are TINY. There is no way I can do a deep treatment on my dry hair without using the whole container. So how exactly can I use them I guess as a leave in? What is the best way to make them last? I know I asked a similar question before, but now that I got them in the mail, I realized how small they are! I paid 17 dollars for the one. I just want them to last, how can I do that with tailbone length hair?

Wildcat Diva
April 15th, 2014, 01:42 PM
You only need a little smudge at a time for a leave in. I do a smudge on my palms, apply. Then repeat on the other side, a smudge on my palms, then apply. I have a large jar for leave ins, but honestly I'd be more likely to do a coconut oiling prepoo or a SMT.

slynr
April 15th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I agree with WildCat. I do a fingernail worth on each side for leave in concentrating on the ends. Coconut oil for pre poo.

Leslieslsa
April 15th, 2014, 01:48 PM
So while you all are on here, what is an SMT? What does that stand for??

slynr
April 15th, 2014, 01:58 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

Question answered:)

shutterpillar
April 15th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I only use a pea size amount of panacea from my ears down. I start at the ends and work my way up. I have the tiny jars too (the sample size) and I have fine hair, so they last me quite a few months.

Be careful before you SMT. I know it's all just trial and error to see what your hair will tolerate, but I did the original SMT recipe and learned the hard way that my hair does not enjoy honey OR aloe gel. ;) There are tons of recipes out there for deep treatments. The one I use most contains half an avocado, my oil of choice (usually sweet almond), and an egg yolk. But like I mentioned, it's all an experiment to find out what works best for you.

ErinLeigh
April 15th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I tend to use coconut, olive or avocado on dry hair for any pre wash treatments - and jojoba, hemp or emu on damp hair if I am doing a post wash treatment. I use panacea as a finisher instead of a deep treatment.

For the panacea, I use post wash on dry or slightly damp hair (depending how I am going to wear my hair)
I use about a pea size amount and rub between palms to warm. Then I lightly smooth my hand over the canopy to apply as a styling finish, then press my palms together and slide down when I reach my ends. Hope that makes sense.

As a deep treatment maybe mix it in your hand with some other oil to make it last longer?

Vanilla
April 15th, 2014, 04:00 PM
Even for a deep treatment and pre-poo treatment on my hair, I don't have to use a whole lot (only about a pea sized dollop), though my hair is significantly shorter than yours and also finer.

If I am going all out and doing a heavy pre-poo treatment, I'll usually apply coconut oil first to the lengths, then panacea on the trouble spots on top of the coconut oil for me. My trouble spots happen to be at the nape of my neck, temples and ends.

Marika
April 16th, 2014, 01:24 AM
I use panacea like I would use a (silicone) serum. Just a little bit to the ends. I have the trial pack and I think the three little pots are going to last at least 2 years (and I wash my hair every other day)! I have hardly made a dent in them in 7 months! :bigeyes:

I wouldn't use panacea as a deep treatment because there are so many other ways to do it. Basically almost anything works as a deep treatment. Even regular conditioner mixed with some oil of choice, maybe microwave it a little bit and leave it for a while before rinsing.

Anje
April 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't use panacea as a deep treatment because there are so many other ways to do it. Basically almost anything works as a deep treatment. Even regular conditioner mixed with some oil of choice, maybe microwave it a little bit and leave it for a while before rinsing.

This is basically what I was thinking. It's only a deep treatment if I accidentally apply more than my hair can absorb. For me, a use is less than a pea and more like a fingertip-rubbing, though my hair is on the thinner, finer side and easily gets piecey from such things.

I've been using a 2-oz pot of Panacea (well, the winter/Freya one) for the last 2 months or so, and I've barely made a dent in it. 1/2-oz would probably last me 6 months of frequent use.