PDA

View Full Version : GOING TO HAVE A HAIR CUT, which one would you advise? Plus current length PICS

glitterbug
April 15th, 2014, 09:05 AM
Hi all :)

So I have regular trims, but I fancy that U shaped hair cut, I want to have some shape and soft look to my hair when its down. I wondered if it will look good on my kind of hair? also what other haircuts would you recommend for the style I'm after?
Secondly what length does my hair seem to you ? :S

Sorry about the fogginess in the pic

https://flic.kr/p/n8XuMd

Thanks!

adler
April 15th, 2014, 09:14 AM
The longest looks hip length to me :) I also have wavy hair and loved U shape the best on me. I thought it was much more fluid than blunt and V personally bugged me. I cut it myself using the methods posted here plus some long layers. Feel like that's best for our hairtype.

lapushka
April 15th, 2014, 09:16 AM
Looks hip to TBL to me, and there already is a slight U shape to your hair. Also, I don't think it needs trimming - at all. But go for it if you want to cut a chunk off. :shrug:

glitterbug
April 15th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the reply adler, yeah I agree that the longish layers would look good, but I am not sure how much thickness I would lose if I did that? Would you know, secondly which methods did you use for the U shape cut and long layers? :P

Looks hip to TBL to me, and there already is a slight U shape to your hair. Also, I don't think it needs trimming - at all. But go for it if you want to cut a chunk off. :shrug:

Yes I did notice it has a faint U shape :) and it has been cut not long ago, although I must say I hate how it looks when its down, since there is no shape or no interest added to it. I thought a shaping hair cut might help, but what would you suggest?

Leeloo
April 15th, 2014, 09:22 AM
I think the most popular is Feye trimming method.

DweamGoiL
April 15th, 2014, 09:34 AM
First off, let me say your hair is just GORGEOUS!!! Ok, having got that out of the way, I would second the U shape with some long layers mixed in. It will make the hair a bit less bottom heavy and more shapely. You don't need any real length cut off just some movement to your hair. My hair wasn't as long as yours, but I had the same problem and some long layers definitely helped. However, be warned, they do make updos a bit interesting at first :)

lapushka
April 15th, 2014, 09:36 AM
Yes I did notice it has a faint U shape :) and it has been cut not long ago, although I must say I hate how it looks when its down, since there is no shape or no interest added to it. I thought a shaping hair cut might help, but what would you suggest?

Not cutting it? :D
No, I'd probably get some face-framing layers if you want to add some interest to the face. And leave the rest untouched.

adler
April 15th, 2014, 09:37 AM
These are definitely not mine so I take no credit for coming up with these methods but I tweaked them to work for me:

http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/ this is the method that inspired me to cut my own hair originally. What I end up doing though is splitting my hair down the middle, pull both side to the front and trim straight across. Since your hair is a bit thicker than mine you will probably have to trim a little at a time (starting with the hair from the back). This method of cutting straight across in the front give a deepish U when flipped to the back. Also (and I don't know if this really matters but I always do it this way) when I pulled all my hair to the front on both sides before cutting, I always made sure that the back pieces were closer to my neck and the front hairs were more by my shoulder then cut straight across...hope that made some sense :p

Then for the layers I lean forward, take all my hair and brush toward my forehead, pony tail it and snip of about an inch. Depending how much layering you want will depend how much you will cut off. I got the idea from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-GAilMmCqQ . So far this method has worked wonderfully for many of the hair lengths I've had. I don't really have any good pics of mine otherwise I'd show but I could try to look if you'd like.

glitterbug
April 15th, 2014, 10:10 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone, lapushka: are these the type of layers you suggest for framing? http://women-hair-styles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Long-Face-Framing-Layers-at-home.jpg

or this one? http://women-hair-styles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Long-Layers-At-Home.jpg

lapushka
April 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Thanks for your replies everyone, lapushka: are these the type of layers you suggest for framing? http://women-hair-styles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Long-Face-Framing-Layers-at-home.jpg

or this one? http://women-hair-styles.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Long-Layers-At-Home.jpg

I think the second option would be better with really long hair. Not so many, you know...

SleepyTangles
April 15th, 2014, 10:19 AM
glitterbug, your hair is so thick, shiny and beautiful!! Just drool-worthy! It looks solid hip to me, maybe tailbone when straight/wet.

I've always had luck with my (slightly tweaked) Spidermom method: it gives a nice, definite U cut. I just divide my hair in two with a central part, then tie the hair under my chin with an elastic and cut the tip straight.
It works really well IMHO, but I know many people prefers Feye method.
I personally really like U hemlines, they look full but also natural. I think they work well with almost all kind of textures. I also think it will be a really subtle change with your current hemline.

A week ago i did the compact-cut version for long layers, then slightly went back with the Spidermom method. I'm really happy about my layers, but your hair looks signifiantly better and fuller than mine: I suspect the U hemline will be more than enough to give it a bit of "movement", like DweamGoil called it :).

glitterbug
April 15th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks Sleeptangles for your response :) I'm going to wait for a few more replies before I do the cut! :P

Scarlet_Heart
April 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
Oh my... I wouldn't dream of cutting that. But if you really feel it needs some shaping, I will agree with DweamGoil and suggest just a little layering at the very bottom. But it's beautiful just the way it is. :heart:

schnibbles
April 15th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Your hair is beautiful!
When mine grows a little longer, I want a U cut. It's not ready yet.
I think if you started off with a subtle U it would look really pretty. (But it already is pretty)
You can always take a little more if you want it more drastic.
I micro trim using the Spidermom method SleepyTangles describes above. I really like trimming this way, feels like it's fool-proof to me when I'm doing it. Sometimes with Feye's I feel like it's uneven, but that could definitely be my fault.

Pics after you do it? :eyebrows:

glitterbug
April 15th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Haha yeah sure Schnibbles, if I decide to go ahead with it I'll update this thread, and thanks for your comments!

Tini'sNewHair
April 15th, 2014, 05:07 PM
OMG your hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOO STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!! You are most deffinatly TBL.

spidermom
April 15th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Your hair is already beautiful but change can be good. My trim method has already been described.

I would call your hair between hip and tailbone length.

I had a stylist cut my hair, but I think a similar effect could be obtained by putting a ponytail somewhere between the center-top of your head to your forehead. Remember - the closer to forehead, the shorter the layers will be. What you do is make the ponytail, then slide a second hair-tie down to the number of inches you want to cut off. Then you can do my U-shape trim method described above (let me know if you want more precise instructions) to finish.

Not that your hair needs anything to look better. My own hair was beautiful at blunt tailbone length, but it seemed so heavy and shapeless. Now it's more a steep U-cut with layers, and I love it so much more than I did before. I needed the change.

Autumn_Fairy
April 15th, 2014, 05:43 PM
glitterbug, your hair is so thick, shiny and beautiful!! Just drool-worthy! It looks solid hip to me, maybe tailbone when straight/wet.

I've always had luck with my (slightly tweaked) Spidermom method: it gives a nice, definite U cut. I just divide my hair in two with a central part, then tie the hair under my chin with an elastic and cut the tip straight.
It works really well IMHO, but I know many people prefers Feye method.
I personally really like U hemlines, they look full but also natural. I think they work well with almost all kind of textures. I also think it will be a really subtle change with your current hemline.

A week ago i did the compact-cut version for long layers, then slightly went back with the Spidermom method. I'm really happy about my layers, but your hair looks signifiantly better and fuller than mine: I suspect the U hemline will be more than enough to give it a bit of "movement", like DweamGoil called it :).

when you do the modified Faye's (or Spidermoms version) cut, do you keep the hair behind your ears or in front? Also, what is the 'compact cut' ?

spidermom
April 15th, 2014, 05:47 PM
when you do the modified Faye's (or Spidermoms version) cut, do you keep the hair behind your ears or in front? Also, what is the 'compact cut' ?

The compact cut is the one that starts with a ponytail on top of your head.

For my cut method, you part your hair straight down the middle (unless you want to preserve a different part in the front, but the back will be parted down the middle), comb all the hair forward to meet under the chin in one ponytail - none behind the ears. I don't think you tuck hair behind ears for the Feye cut method either. I could never get an even result with that method.

Autumn_Fairy
April 15th, 2014, 06:05 PM
The compact cut is the one that starts with a ponytail on top of your head.

For my cut method, you part your hair straight down the middle (unless you want to preserve a different part in the front, but the back will be parted down the middle), comb all the hair forward to meet under the chin in one ponytail - none behind the ears. I don't think you tuck hair behind ears for the Feye cut method either. I could never get an even result with that method.

thank you :)

And sorry to OP for hijacking the thread with my own questions :p

turtlelover
April 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I like the current U shape myself, and honestly, if it were mine I wouldn't change much, but I do understand the desire to mix things up.

lapushka
April 17th, 2014, 04:55 PM

A compact cut is, like spidermom already mentioned, a layered cut. You either put the ponytail on top of your head for longer layers, or you put it on top of your forehead for short layers. You only snip a bit off to start with. Proceed with caution with *any* method. ;)

queenovnight
April 17th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Well. Firstly, you have a beautiful head of hair and if it were mine, I wouldn't cut it. Lol But I understand where you coming from. Maybe try layers towards the front? To frame your face.

Danu
April 20th, 2014, 01:18 AM
@}-`-]-,-'- preifat -'-,-{-`-{@

glitterbug
April 20th, 2014, 11:15 AM
Thanks queenovnight and Danu, I decided not to go ahead and cut it in haste, I will do the self U cut the next time I feel like having a trim. Thanks for the advice girls :)