PDA

View Full Version : I can't seem to type my hair!

missquinzel
April 14th, 2014, 12:33 PM
I feel like i'm so overloaded with questions since joining here lol Sorry to be such a pain all. I'm trying to type my hair and I already know my hair is between medium and course and my volume is ii but i'm having trouble pin pointing what the visual classifier is.

http://i.imgur.com/vniD5hv.jpg I can't tell if i'm more of a 3a or somewhere in the B range. I need help!! :p

missquinzel
April 14th, 2014, 12:38 PM
oops meant "2B" range bot just B.

Anje
April 14th, 2014, 12:39 PM
How has your hair been handled before that pic?

For hairtyping, typically you want to wash your hair, detangle in the shower with some conditioner, rinse it all out, and step out of the shower without any further handling. No product, no scrunching, no combing. Let it drip-dry without touching it -- put a towel over your shoulders or something. (I think a lot of people fudge that. I know I did, but for curlies it's almost mandatory.) Take a picture when it's dry.

If that's how your hair was for this picture, I think I'd put you at about 2a. However, it looks like you've brushed or combed it a few times, especially if you think you're curly.

lapushka
April 14th, 2014, 01:53 PM
I'd say about 1c to 2a (possibly).

jeanniet
April 14th, 2014, 02:02 PM
3 type hair has spirals of varying tightness, so you're definitely not in the 3s unless you combed or brushed out your spirals (with time, effort, and some oil I can get mine down to about 2b). Based on how it looks in the picture, I'd say 2b, but again if you didn't prep for typing (wash, condition, air dry without touching) it could be quite different.

Wisť
April 14th, 2014, 02:36 PM
3 type hair has spirals of varying tightness, so you're definitely not in the 3s unless you combed or brushed out your spirals (with time, effort, and some oil I can get mine down to about 2b).

I absolutely second that notion. Missquinzel, how did you arrive at a 3a type? At least according to this picture you have nothing even close to resembling a curl, it is rather full waves with lots of body. I am not an expert on wavies, but I would position you in the 2a/b range.
Do you by chance wear your hair in a ponytail often? The most upper big wave spanning the whole width looks a lot like the wave I got from wearing a ponytail everyday as a child.

torrilin
April 14th, 2014, 04:55 PM
That looks to me like your hair has been handled.

Your curl level isn't a hard and fast thing. Most of us have a variety of different curl types on our heads. While my hair is very obviously straight, I have individual hairs that are more of a 4a or 4b. There are other hairs that are an obvious 3a, and I have enough hairs on the border of wavy that I wind up typing as a 1c. That kind of variety is natural. People with curlier hair will have locks that are less curly, and sometimes they might have a lock that is flat out straight like most of mine. So it's pretty normal to have no idea what your exact type is.

Also, the way your hair responds to various methods of handling can affect your apparent type. For some curlies, combing their hair dry doesn't just make their spirals get frizzy but somewhat straighter looking. It also actively damages their hair. They get lots of breakage and split ends if they try. And the more they comb, the harder it is for their hair to form spirals due to all the damage. If you tend to blow dry or use a heated straightener, same kinda deal. The same kinds of issues can affect straighties too.

You almost never will get the type right on the first try. It's ok :). Experiment, play around, try stuff. You're not looking for the exact right type, but to get a clear idea of what all your hair will and won't do, and what you're willing to do as a routine.

missquinzel
April 14th, 2014, 05:17 PM
Hmm...I may have to do it again. The day before I did a coffee rinse and then deep conditioned it and let it air dry. I did however comb through it a little with a wide toothed comb and put it in a ponytail for work. Then it was in a ponytail until this morning when I took the picture. So I guess this is my natural hair texture but after being tamed by a comb and pony. I'll have to do it again it seems without any combing at all to get a good idea.

missquinzel
April 14th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I absolutely second that notion. Missquinzel, how did you arrive at a 3a type? At least according to this picture you have nothing even close to resembling a curl, it is rather full waves with lots of body. I am not an expert on wavies, but I would position you in the 2a/b range.
Do you by chance wear your hair in a ponytail often? The most upper big wave spanning the whole width looks a lot like the wave I got from wearing a ponytail everyday as a child.

I have no idea honestly lol I was trying to pick out which one my hair looked most similar to with the pictures in thesticky thread about hair typing but as you can see i'm having complications I'll have to do my hair again without combing it which I stupidly did :(

missquinzel
April 14th, 2014, 05:25 PM

Forgot to mention this in my last post, but yes I do tend to wear my hair up a lot for work. I try my hardest to not put it in the same spot and never use elastics ponytails, but I don't know how else to keep it from getting anywhere without really hurting it. I'm not sure how to do updo's properly for growing long hair.