PDA

View Full Version : Floaty hair help and a bit of background information.

LadyDedlock
April 14th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Hi all, first thread for me on this forum :)

I'm 47. In my younger days my hair was heavier and straighter. Now it is thin, fine and sadly a few years ago shed badly. My doctor discovered an iron deficiency and this was dealt with. Although I have seen good regrowth it still is no where near the way it used to be. I have a lot of greys now. It's been 7 months since my last hairdressing visit and these are usually trims to get rid of split ends. About three to four years ago I dyed my hair twice, once with semi-permanent and the other a permanent(spaced 5 months apart). Both times caused an alarming increase in shedding. That put a stop to coloring it and so now the greys are about chin length. It's quite depressing really:(

It's so frustrating to have floaty hair. This is the main reason why I have chosen to grow my hair long. The length is between bra and waist length when wet but closer to bra when dry. As you may have guessed it's wavy now. I miss the hair I used to have but realize hair changes with age. It's not styled. I hate it lol and choose to either tie it up or wear a side braid. It's sad that I can't enjoy it anymore.

I'm quietly excited because despite the difficulties I've finally ordered some henna :D It's been wonderful reading all the threads here and I find you all so inspiring. So love seeing your hair! You have helped motivate me to keep at it and not lose hope. Whilst I've changed some routines in caring for my hair, I feel there is still room for improvement. Self -trimming ends for damage, oiling and co wash every second day has helped with frizziness.

QUESTION: What can be done with hair that floats or feels like it has no weight?

Ingrid
April 14th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Have you tried oiling it lightly? That tends to smooth it and weigh down the fly-aways a little.

tigereye
April 14th, 2014, 02:22 AM
Hi all, first thread for me on this forum :)

I'm 47. In my younger days my hair was heavier and straighter. Now it is thin, fine and sadly a few years ago shed badly. My doctor discovered an iron deficiency and this was dealt with. Although I have seen good regrowth it still is no where near the way it used to be. I have a lot of greys now. It's been 7 months since my last hairdressing visit and these are usually trims to get rid of split ends. About three to four years ago I dyed my hair twice, once with semi-permanent and the other a permanent(spaced 5 months apart). Both times caused an alarming increase in shedding. That put a stop to coloring it and so now the greys are about chin length. It's quite depressing really:(

It's so frustrating to have floaty hair. This is the main reason why I have chosen to grow my hair long. The length is between bra and waist length when wet but closer to bra when dry. As you may have guessed it's wavy now. I miss the hair I used to have but realize hair changes with age. It's not styled. I hate it lol and choose to either tie it up or wear a side braid. It's sad that I can't enjoy it anymore.

I'm quietly excited because despite the difficulties I've finally ordered some henna :D It's been wonderful reading all the threads here and I find you all so inspiring. So love seeing your hair! You have helped motivate me to keep at it and not lose hope. Whilst I've changed some routines in caring for my hair, I feel there is still room for improvement. Self -trimming ends for damage, oiling and co wash every second day has helped with frizziness.

QUESTION: What can be done with hair that floats or feels like it has no weight?

My hair is always pretty floaty when down. It doesn't matter so much to me because I far prefer to wear my hair up, but sometimes you just want a change, you know? The weight of hair further down holds it down until shortly after waist, then the rest tends to fly off in the wind :rolleyes: In any case, henna did improve it somewhat for me, but not for that long. However, if you're covering greys, you would probably also be hennaing more often than I used to. The other thing that helped me was nightbloomings panacea (I use the winter one) after showering. Also, I found my hair is far far more floaty and weird if it gets blow dried (which usually my hairdresser does, so I walk out from getting my hair done and it's immediately a mess and the slightest breeze whips it around)

embee
April 14th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Floaty? Wow. My hair is Stringy. My mom called it "rat tails", how charming. Maybe I don't even know what you mean! ;) I think it sounds lovely. Many people complain about the heaviness of their hair, even getting headaches from some updo styles.

metricfuture
April 14th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I've always had floaty hair, extra floaty when freshly washed, when humidity is low and when I skip cones. The area I live in is pretty windy, though, so I do wear it up most of the time (if I'm going to be outdoors). When I do a henna gloss, it does a great job on de-floating it for a few weeks. If you do a light gloss once a month or so, that may take care of it without needing cones or oil (but I typically use a coney serum on the ends to help detangle anyway, and it does the trick). I made more peace with the floatiness (yeah, these probably aren't real words, but I'm clearly not too worried about that) when I started thinking about it for what it really is: volume. There are thousands of products on the market that claim to add what we've already got, and I'm all about putting a positive spin on it :)

LadyDedlock
April 14th, 2014, 07:28 AM
Have you tried oiling it lightly? That tends to smooth it and weigh down the fly-aways a little.

Thanks Ingrid, yes I have tried light and heavy oiling to see how it would behave. Argan Oil makes the hair feel nice and soft until the hair completely dries. I noticed there are cones in it. I tried coconut oil a long time ago and was disappointed by it, can't remember why. Next time I'll try using it as a pre-wash. I like avocado oil and have been amazed how good baby oil is :crush:

My hair is always pretty floaty when down. It doesn't matter so much to me because I far prefer to wear my hair up, but sometimes you just want a change, you know? The weight of hair further down holds it down until shortly after waist, then the rest tends to fly off in the wind : rolleyes: In any case, henna did improve it somewhat for me, but not for that long. However, if you're covering greys, you would probably also be hennaing more often than I used to. The other thing that helped me was nightbloomings panacea (I use the winter one) after showering. Also, I found my hair is far far more floaty and weird if it gets blow dried (which usually my hairdresser does, so I walk out from getting my hair done and it's immediately a mess and the slightest breeze whips it around)

Oooh I must remember to look up nightblooming panacea! ;) Thank you tigereye! I can relate to your experiences with blow drying hair. I avoid it as much as possible now and if i do I find keeping it a touch damp is best. I live in a windy place and tie my hair often.

Floaty? Wow. My hair is Stringy. My mom called it "rat tails", how charming. Maybe I don't even know what you mean! ;) I think it sounds lovely. Many people complain about the heaviness of their hair, even getting headaches from some updo styles.

Thank you embee :) Rat tails sounds very cute! Maybe I should have said poofy or flooffy lol I've had hair headaches before and find tying my hair lower near the nape of my neck helps. I'm also enjoying wearing a braid over my shoulder.

I've always had floaty hair, extra floaty when freshly washed, when humidity is low and when I skip cones. The area I live in is pretty windy, though, so I do wear it up most of the time (if I'm going to be outdoors). When I do a henna gloss, it does a great job on de-floating it for a few weeks. If you do a light gloss once a month or so, that may take care of it without needing cones or oil (but I typically use a coney serum on the ends to help detangle anyway, and it does the trick). I made more peace with the floatiness (yeah, these probably aren't real words, but I'm clearly not too worried about that) when I started thinking about it for what it really is: volume. There are thousands of products on the market that claim to add what we've already got, and I'm all about putting a positive spin on it : )

Oh yes, definitely worse after a wash. The trick is to keep as much moisture in it as we can. Completely dry clean hair can be a disaster for me. :( My hair used to have good volume. I'd love to do henna glosses but it may make the greys or whites haha turn pink or orange...actually I think that would happen anyway. It will be a fun experiment. How's that for a positive spin? ;) Thanks metricfuture!

I hear you about windy days!

Ingrid
April 15th, 2014, 01:22 AM
LadyDedlock, no problem! You could even try pure argan oil, without cones. I find it's quite a delicate and light oil and doesn't make the hair look "greasy". Applying it to slightly damp hair also works well to lock in some moisture and make the hair less floaty. I find coconut oil tends to not work as well in colder temperatures because it solidifies on the hair shaft and this weighs light hair down too much or even makes it feel a bit crunchy.

Eichan
April 15th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Hi! I have "floaty" hair too, although mine is closer to waist now, and veeery thick. A total of over 7 inches (not quite 8) in circumference.

Something I found helpful was to oil it lightly all throughout the hair but still enough that you wouldn't go out. I start at the ends and work my way up into the scalp. Then I CO wash! It really helped my hair, although it still doesn't "hang" like I wish it would. The darn stuff won't even swing. However my flyaways have improved immensely and it's much softer and smoother, and strangely "cleaner" feelin as well :)

LadyDedlock
April 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM
LadyDedlock, no problem! You could even try pure argan oil, without cones. I find it's quite a delicate and light oil and doesn't make the hair look "greasy". Applying it to slightly damp hair also works well to lock in some moisture and make the hair less floaty. I find coconut oil tends to not work as well in colder temperatures because it solidifies on the hair shaft and this weighs light hair down too much or even makes it feel a bit crunchy.

I'll hunt for some 100% Argan Oil.. Your experience with Coconut Oil does sound familiar. Thank you Ingrid :)

Hi! I have "floaty" hair too, although mine is closer to waist now, and veeery thick. A total of over 7 inches (not quite 8) in circumference.

Wow! Lovely and thick :)

Something I found helpful was to oil it lightly all throughout the hair but still enough that you wouldn't go out. I start at the ends and work my way up into the scalp. Then I CO wash! It really helped my hair, although it still doesn't "hang" like I wish it would. The darn stuff won't even swing. However my flyaways have improved immensely and it's much softer and smoother, and strangely "cleaner" feelin as well : )

That's good to know Eichan! I manage the frizz and fly aways most days but there are days nothing will hold them down. Greys behave badly! I get amazed and jealous when I see ladies with hair that falls nicely. I can totally relate despite how much thinner my hair is these days. Thanks! :)

Ambystoma
April 16th, 2014, 12:43 AM
I have hair that floofs and floats and doesn't really obey gravity as well and I love me some 'cones for adding weight to it - there is also a shampoo (sls) by Lush called Cynthia Sylvia Stout that I've been using for over a decade now that has dark beer and lemon and cognac oils in it and is specifically designed to add weight and shine to that kind of "natural volume" hairtype and it works wonders for me. I follow it with a 'coney condish and a 'cone serum and get that nice weighty curtain of hair effect rather than an ill behaved cloud :laugh:
I also find it hangs a lot better when it's kept build up free, so regular clarifying/chelating followed by a big long deep condition every two weeks is a must for me as well.

LadyDedlock
April 18th, 2014, 01:49 AM
I have hair that floofs and floats and doesn't really obey gravity as well and I love me some 'cones for adding weight to it - there is also a shampoo (sls) by Lush called Cynthia Sylvia Stout that I've been using for over a decade now that has dark beer and lemon and cognac oils in it and is specifically designed to add weight and shine to that kind of "natural volume" hairtype and it works wonders for me. I follow it with a 'coney condish and a 'cone serum and get that nice weighty curtain of hair effect rather than an ill behaved cloud : laugh:
I also find it hangs a lot better when it's kept build up free, so regular clarifying/chelating followed by a big long deep condition every two weeks is a must for me as well.

Weighty curtain effect would be wonderful! I haven't heard of this brand of shampoo and saw they sell here in Australia :)

Interesting list of ingredients -

Stout (Beer), Water (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate (Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate), Lauryl Betaine (Lauryl Betaine), Propylene Glycol (Propylene Glycol), *Benzyl Alcohol (*Benzyl Alcohol), Fresh Organic Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Cognac Oil (Vitis vinifera), Lemongrass Oil (Cymbopogon citratus), Yeast (Yeast), Balsamic Vinegar (Balsamic Vinegar), Citral (Citral), Geraniol (Geraniol), Perfume (Perfume), Methylparaben, Propylparaben (Propylparaben)

Thank you so much for the suggestions Ambystoma :blossom:

Ambystoma
April 18th, 2014, 02:48 AM
You're welcome! That shampoo is my Holy Grail - if they ever stopped making it I'd be camped out in front of the store crying, but just so you know; it smells pretty much exactly how you'd imagine from reading that list, but I've not noticed the scent sticking around once my hair dries.
I follow it with a huge glob of Garnier Sleek and Shine 72hr conditioner then put my hair under a shower cap for 5 minutes or so while I do the rest of my shower stuff then rinse super well and add a full pump of Garnier Sleek and Shine serum to towel dried hair and gently comb through with a seamless wide tooth comb - this routine tames the wildness so I'm left with body and bounce and not looking like I've been making out with a Van Der Graaf generator :laugh: so if you're not opposed to conventional products, I'd really recommend these ones :).