PDA

View Full Version : picture of my bunned hair in a garden

OleanderTime
April 13th, 2014, 05:50 PM
On a trip to Durham, North Carolina. It's so lovely today (and so warm compared to Michigan!), we went walking in the Duke Gardens today, and my partner snapped this photo of my bun holding oh-so-tightly with my new ketylo sticks. :) I shall make it my new avatar!

http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/xx3/OleanderTime/DukeGardenHair_small_zps906f243c.jpg

FallingDarkness
April 13th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Wow. Simply lovely. I can't help but notice that it says that you have fairly thick hair, and your hair is shorter than mine, and you got hair sticks to work! *jealous*
Could you walk me through the process you went through to put your hair up? :)

OleanderTime
April 13th, 2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the compliment, FallingDarkness! Not all my buns work as well, but something about the two-stick Ketylo has been magical for me! I even wore this same simple bun to a zumba class (lots of jumping, turning) and it held perfectly. I'm in shock. Timberstone Turning sticks (and other wider, or single, sticks don't work well YET, I'm holding out for longer length).

But to answer your question, I gather my hair into a pretty high pony tail, and twist it into a coil all the way down to the tip. Then with both hands, I tuck the tail under and try to arrange the bun nicely tight and flat to the back of my head. I put one stick in first, and it seems to hold pretty well just with that, but then the second stick locks it down and makes it so it can't spin or uncoil. I always put the stick in AWAY from the bun, scoop a little hair to "knit" the bun to my head, and then flip it toward the bun and slide it all the way through.

I think making the bun firm and flat on your head before trying to get a stick in is important.

Sometimes little ends escape (pictured), but it's a small price to pay for a bun that stays. And this is day-3 hair, which is more slippery than usual.

Share a pic of your attempt?

FallingDarkness
April 13th, 2014, 06:12 PM
My hair is SUPER slippery today, because I haven't washed since Wednesday, so I doubt I can get anything to hold. :P I'll attempt tomorrow and send a pic, because I have no pics of my previous attempts lol.

OleanderTime
April 13th, 2014, 06:15 PM
Cool! Another thing is where you put the stick in matters. It could come uncoiled if either part of the stick is stuck in near the thinner, end part of your twisted ponytail. So I try to tuck the end under, and get the stick into the thicker middle parts.

And in terms of pinning thicker hair, I don't stick the hairstick into the fattest middle part of the coil, I stick it in kind of near the outter perimeter of the bun and "knit" it to my head that way. The end of the stick can just pierce the edge of the bun and hold well. That way, the bun doesn't feel too tight and hurt.

FallingDarkness
April 13th, 2014, 06:26 PM
Oh! You know that is actually super helpful advice. I know of the whole "knit" tactic, but I don't think I've really mastered it yet. :P And if the bun is too tight then might as well not even have your hair up, because then you're breaking your hair! The horror! Lol

Lady Mary
April 13th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Very pretty, love your color :)

ErinLeigh
April 13th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Beautiful picture. The hair color, the contrast with the trees, the gorgeous sticks...lovely!
Great Avatar choice.

Islandgrrl
April 14th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Beautiful new picture! I love those ketylos in your hair.

embee
April 14th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Very nice bun! Duke Gardens is said to be quite lovely as well, and this is a great season for garden visits.

(It helps to have a nice background for hair pictures, too. I'm awfully tired of spotty bathroom mirrors, which is what most of *my* pictures have... ;) )

momschicklets
April 14th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Elegant! Reminds me of a beautiful painting!