PDA

View Full Version : Workout hairstyles

Budgie
April 13th, 2014, 10:07 AM
What is a good hairstyle for working out? Right now I'm just doing a high ponytail. I do some exercises where I lay on my back, so I don't want my hair to get crushed. I also do cardio, so I don't really want my hair to be damaged with that.

The best I can think of is a high ponytail for strength training (where I lay on my back sometimes) and a single braid for cardio. Maybe I could make a high bun with those flexi-8 things.

Wildcat Diva
April 13th, 2014, 10:10 AM
High nautilus bun with spin pins or a metal knitting needle bent around a doorknob to make a U shaped fork.

Budgie
April 13th, 2014, 10:19 AM
This is totally off topic, but why is it bad to wear your hair down all day?

Wildcat Diva
April 13th, 2014, 10:25 AM
It's not "bad", but many people get tangles and damage from shoulder bags, seat belts, backpacks, chair backs, zippers, get it stuck in food, etc.

I got my freshly washed (soaking wet) hair stuck to the freezer door and had to beg one of my kids to bring me a cup of warm water to free myself.

Kaelee
April 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I wear a low ponytail with a flexi8 currently. Most of my workout consists of lifting (squat, bench, dumbell row) and I can't bench press with a bun. If I'm not lifting, I wear it in a disc but with either a flexi or ficcare. (Though not running...nothing, and I mean really, nothing, holds my hair for running.)

Kina
April 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM
I have successfully worn a cinnabun on the crown of my head with bunhead u pins to secure it. It's held through a 90 minute hot yoga class (portions of which have you with the top of the head pressing into the floor, other bits lying on your back, held like a rock. I've also used it for lifting, bench presses with my head on the bench. the trick is making it as flat as possible, almost like a beanie.

Alternatively, 2 french braids one on each side, with the tails either wrapped around your head, or the strap of the sports bra.

Wildcat Diva
April 13th, 2014, 11:41 AM
My hair must be grippy. I've went jogging in a nautilus bun held with dymondwood mamacat spirals and the thing. Didn't. Budge.

Night_Kitten
April 13th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I go to aerobics classes which have part cardio and another part work on the mat, so my 2 options for hairstyle is a secure bun on the top of my head (which I could never make work for me - it always pulled and was uncomfortable), or a folded braid (I make a regular English braid on my nape, then fold it over and over until it's about 10-15cm long "stub" and secure it that way with a scrunchie).
The folded braid takes some getting used to (need to adjust it when first laying down to place it comfortably), but it holds like a rock all through the class every time without fail, doesn't get in the way during the cardio part like a regular braid did, and doesn't pull or get uncomfortable like a high bun does on me, so it's my "official workout style", lol :)

SunnyIC
April 13th, 2014, 02:38 PM
I do cardio and usually put my hair in a ponytail (not too high or too low, maybe mid head). I'm probably going to start using two braids (one on each side) since the ponytail gives me headaches and my hair can hold quite a long time with the braids. My hair is slightly longer than collarbone length (nearing armpit) and it has layers so updos don't work well for me right now (they fall off). I think that maybe a bun on top of your head could work if it's well secure or maybe a braid around your head (but maybe when you lie down it might get in the way or cause discomfort).

LongHairLesbian
April 13th, 2014, 02:50 PM
It's not "bad", but many people get tangles and damage from shoulder bags, seat belts, backpacks, chair backs, zippers, get it stuck in food, etc.

I got my freshly washed (soaking wet) hair stuck to the freezer door and had to beg one of my kids to bring me a cup of warm water to free myself.

That sounds terrifying, Wildcat Diva! I hope your hair is okay. :(