PDA

View Full Version : Hair Drama:Emotional Stress

PeaceWithTrees
September 14th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Hello, I am new to the LHC, I have been on here all day trying to get to know the place. I'm am pleased to see so many others with the same goal or healthy longer hair.

I have been trying to grow out my hair for about 2 years now. Much of my desire has been practiced in secret. Only about 2 months ago I was "discovered" to be trying to grow out my hair, and Unfortunatly, my goal is not supported or taken seriously by others around me.

Sense then, I have began to doubt that I can grow my hair to my desired lenght. I beleive growing hair is a skill, and it has been a slow process to learn the best ways. My hair has been progressily growing faster as a learn how to treat it, and it was previously very long when I was a child. However, dispite what I'v learned or past evidence of having long hair, I have been feeling doubtful.

Have people around you doubted you?
How did you realize your goal?
How have you delt with emotional stress surrounding your goals?

Gumball
September 14th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I got a lot of flak when I started trying to grow my hair out, but determination and really not caring as much about what others thought really helped get through that. As I have no set goal that's basically the way I realized it. I started growing it, it got long enough to style, and I've been having fun since. I guess I haven't experienced too much stress surrounding it aside from the initial "Why?" and the occasional "You should get it cut." Dealing with any stress is balanced by knowing I'm enjoying the journey and it's bolstered by having people out there, just like this community, who are supportive and encouraging the whole way through. :) We're here to support you, too!

MsBubbles
September 14th, 2008, 08:41 PM
The good news is you're 18. Try starting to grow your hair long at 41 :). By the same token I used to put about 80% emphasis on what other people thought of me when I was 18, and by the time I turned 40 I was finally happy to be putting 100% emphasis on what I thought of me, and the heck with what anybody else thought, especially about my hair!!

So I don't tell anybody about my hair goal, except my significant other, who loves long hair, period.

You will find nothing but support for long hair here, of course! good luck on your journey and I hope you stop worrying about what other people think of you sooner than I did in life.

Xi
September 14th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I am new to the LHC, too, PeaceWithTrees, and have found great comfort in how normal wanting and having long hair are around here. Before I found the Community, though, when people told me to cut my hair, I would let my hair down, run my fingers through it, and remember why I love long hair.:) That and cultivating my stubborn streak are what have helped me ignore the nay-sayers.:rolleyes:

Good luck with your growing! :heart:

Jessie Rose
September 14th, 2008, 10:12 PM
I've had people question why I want long hair, or I've had them tell that my hair is long enough. I think you should grow your hair to whatever length makes you happy. It is your hair, and it is your right to have it as long as you please :)

I wish you the best of luck in reaching your hair goals ;)

Odile
September 14th, 2008, 10:18 PM
You will definitely not lack support here! I've discovered that the members here are some of the nicest, most supportive and knowledgeable anywhere on growing healthy, beautiful long hair.

You know your goals. How long you want it to be, how healthy and beautiful it can be. Hold them firmly in your mind, and don't let yourself be swayed from them! Don't let the doubters get in your way.

There's another thread here somewhere that has a lot of good responses to people who say rude or insulting things about your hair or why you should cut it. I can't find it at the moment, but it is a good read.

Good luck with your hair goals. I know you can do it!

ChloeDharma
September 15th, 2008, 12:48 AM
You have had long hair before, so you know you can grow it long again. As for what other people think, you really do need to stop caring, i've only had one person be negative about me growing my hair and that was one of my sisters. But even that is only because she hated long hair on herself and thought i should save myself the hastle....she's still supportive though. Just wear your hair up loads and avoid talking about it to anyone you know wont be supportive, if people still start on about it then just tell them to shut up.

Juanita
September 15th, 2008, 02:18 AM
Just keep growing and ignoring the negatives. You will get lots of help and support here. People usually critical of what they don't understand.

Katze
September 15th, 2008, 03:50 AM
Welcome here!

You've come to the right place. Many of us have been in the same situation, and still get doubtful responses and looks when we say we're growing our hair. There are people out there who believe that curly/fine/thin etc etc hair won't or can't grow long: LHC members disprove that!

I will never have hair that makes people go "wow" but my hair is much, much nicer since coming here, and I am very happy with how it is turning out. Yes, I would prefer tidier hair that "behaves" as well as thicker, lighter color, more wave, etc etc but am learning to be happy with what nature has given me.

As someone mentioned, you are still quite young, and I think it is harder to "be yourself" as a teenager. The good news is, the older you get, the less you care about what people think about you. I can't even explain how much calmer and more relaxed I am the older I get. At the end of the day, it's not what other people think about you that counts; it's what YOU think about you.

And that's what's so great about this site. We are all here helping each other appreciate and make the most of what we have.

welcome. :flower:

Katze

aprilmay
September 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I find it comforting to be part of a group that supports and understands the urge for long hair. Welcome!