PDA

View Full Version : What are good everyday practices to encourage hair growth?

Leslieslsa
April 12th, 2014, 10:03 PM
Like what vitamins are good? I have been taking Viviscal and biotin and sometimes a few others. Is caffeine good or bad because I am a caffeine junky? Is water better? What sorts of foods are good? Anyone have tips?

Aderyn
April 12th, 2014, 10:11 PM
Don't know about increasing hair growth, especially if yours is already a normal growth rate and you're making sure you're getting all of your nutrients (if there was a definitive way to do so, I guarantee you'd be hearing about it everywhere).

For instance, mega-dosing on biotin is really not that wise, and isn't shown to increase growth (interesting blog post about it here (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/01/biotin.html).

Generally, to maintain the hair you have, handling it gently, keeping it relatively tangle-free and protected from the elements will suffice. To have good growth (i.e. healthy hair), just generally eating healthy, good sleep schedule, making sure you're consuming plenty of water and getting all of your nutrients is the way to go, you don't need to do anything "out of the ordinary" to boost your growth.

Above all - Patience

bubbalouey
April 12th, 2014, 11:23 PM
The healthier your hair is the quicker it will grow. If your hair is unhealthy it will break, preventing it from growing. Moderator note: Link removed. No soliciting.

midbackorbust
April 13th, 2014, 04:03 AM
Scalp massage! It works wonders for me... when I can remember to do it :P

jacqueline101
April 13th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I know it sounds strange but since I've started slim fast my hair has grown. It's protein enriched. You could try to increase your protein intake.

Symphony
April 13th, 2014, 07:47 AM
I only take vitamins a week before my period starts to combat sluggishness. Other than that, I just try to eat really well. Generous amounts of vegetables (Because I think they taste amazing), lots of protein, LOTS of water (I try to drink at least 50 oz/day, and I am 5'4''/115 lbs, if that tells you anything). I still consume caffeine. My husband and I are loose-leaf tea fanatics, which I drink maybe 4-5 times a week, and I always have dark chocolate on hand. Variety in diet is important, and I am in the school of thought that diet should consist AT LEAST 50% plants, grains not included.

I also have curls, so my routine may seem sort of weird... But I always sleep with a satin cap on my head. I always put a little (5 drops-ish) oil in my hair before I sleep, on the ends only. I wash my hair with sulfate free shampoo once a week, and with water once a week, and always condition during/after and oil after the shower. I finger comb my hair in the shower while conditioning. I dry not to touch it... which is REALLY hard for me. I wear my hair loose 2-4 times a week, and either side-braided or bunned the other part of the time.

I focus on health and happiness in general. I think if you work on those two things, most other things will fall into place.

Madora
April 13th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Be sure you are getting enough protein in your diet. A balanced diet, more than anything else, is very important if you want healthy hair. Your hair can't grow properly if it is malnourished.

Daily water intake helps with more than just your hair.

Be careful taking supplements. Check with your doctor for advice.

Daily scalp massage is a good way to encourage your follicles. Do it in the head down position and be sure to detangle before and after.

Daily brushing with a pure boar bristle brush not only helps encourage your follicles, but removes lint and dead hair cells from your hair, and distributes the sebum down the strands.

lapushka
April 13th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I'd say no to you giving up vitamins, they are *so* important, especially when you have (like you said in a previous thread) an alcohol problem.

Night_Kitten
April 13th, 2014, 01:49 PM
In general - the healthier you are overall the healthier your hair is as usually the hair is among the first to suffer when there's a lack of nutrient or a health problem, so I'd say make sure you get enough protein and all the nutrients your body needs (vitamins, essential fats, etc...) and try to get enough sleep and minimize stress and other factors that reduce health to maximize your hair growth rate :)
A scalp massage can also help as it increases the blood flow to the scalp and hair-roots, though you have to keep doing it fairly regularly for it to work, and it doesn't work for everybody...

To ensure that what already grew is as healthy as possible, definitely gentle care goes a long way - sleeping with a satin cap is a great way to protect it overnight, also oiling can do wonders if your hair likes the oil, keeping it protected as much as possible (being careful when you put your bag on your shoulder or the seat-belt if your'e wearing it loose, not using damaging hair toys if your'e wearing it up, avoiding damaging hair-styling techniques like heat-styling, etc...) :)

CurlyOne
April 13th, 2014, 04:59 PM
Up. Wear it up. The more contact the ends have with the world, in the form of clothes, car seats, buses, children, cats, etc. the more damage is done and you get a lot more breakage.

aztecangel
April 14th, 2014, 04:52 PM
Two words: Fish oil !!!!

Fish oil supplements affect my hair growth more than anything I've ever seen. They make both my hair and nails grow noticeably faster. Research is showing they benefit the body in tons of other ways as well. They fight depression, they help protect your heart, they make your skin healthier. It's amazing stuff.

Vrindi
April 14th, 2014, 05:06 PM
A good multi-vitamin with b complex is a good idea. Especially if you think you might have holes in your diet. As for foods, eat as clean as you can. Lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and good sources of protein. For me (vegetarian), that's beans, tofu, nuts, cheese... Make sure you're getting healthy fats in your diet (avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, even ghee, nuts and seeds) and yes, drink lots of water! It keeps your whole body processing everything it needs to smoothly, and will clear toxins out of your body. It will help with hair growth. Drink extra water for each cup of caffeine. Caffeine is fine if you're not drinking a pot of coffee, snacking on espresso beans, and drinking latte's on top of that (welcome to my grad school experience). Moderation. The healthier your diet, the healthier your body, skin, and hair.

CoveredByLove
April 14th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I second the fish oil! :)
I second the fats too!
Protein is great and necessary, don't get me wrong, but adequate amounts of GOOD fats in your diet will do WONDERS for your over all health and therefore your hair as well. I used to be afraid of fats, thinking they were the culprit of heart disease, clogged arteries, etc. the truth is the hydrogenated ones are the culprits but NOT fats such as virgin coconut oil, olive oil, and nut oils. Many people don't realize that some vitamins are only fat soluble, meaning that you need to eat them with a fat, such as coconut oil, for your body to absorb them. You can take vitamins but still be vitamin deficient because your diet is too low in the right kinds of fat! Read up on the benefits of adding coconut oil to your diet! Your hair and skin will thank you. :) I definitely noticed an increase in growth after adding it to my diet. I have gone from barely passed my shoulders to BSL in four months! So, as for me, I was actually FAT deficient. Lol :o

swearnsue
April 14th, 2014, 08:37 PM
Protein, water, walnuts, Brazil nuts, organic whole milk, one carrot a day, gelatin and krill oil.

Some coffee seems OK, no alcohol, no sodas no Red Bull drinks. Just Green tea, water and a little coffee with milk.

swearnsue
April 14th, 2014, 08:38 PM
Protein, water, walnuts, Brazil nuts, organic whole milk, one carrot a day, gelatin and krill oil.

Some coffee seems OK, no alcohol, no sodas no Red Bull drinks. Just Green tea, water and a little coffee with milk.

Dark40
April 14th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Increase your protein intake. I take just biotin and my hair is growing really fast after taking it for 6 months.