PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a hair toy :)

Arwenlily
April 12th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Hi LHC lovelies,

I'm a hair toy novice and am just beginning to create my collection. I don't yet have the beautiful hair forks, hair sticks, flexi 8s, or ficcares that you all have :-(. All I have so far are some claw clips, spin pins, and cloth hair ties. Which hair toy would you recommend to me to begin my collection? Maybe one from your own collection that you think gets the most use?

arr
April 12th, 2014, 08:32 PM
I know its expensive but lately the hair toy i use most is my ficcare maximus. My second most used items are my Eaduard acrylic hairsticks. Theyre just very comfortable, durable, pretty and easy to use.

ravenheather
April 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
My favoritest hair toy right now is a 3 prong jeterfork. So comfy and hold so well. Reasonably priced as well. My other favorite are mamacat spirals, but they are very hard to get.

Quasiquixotic
April 12th, 2014, 08:37 PM
I would suggest one acrylic stick (eaduard), one wood fork (jetterforks or 60th street) and one ficcare/flexi.

Check the swap board for deals. Look at the toy threads for suggestions and to find the kind that most appeals to you. Reading this forum the one constant I've seen is that everyone is different. And that different toys (or types of toys) will hold hair in different styles for different amounts of time differently on different people. So yeah, you just gotta try things and find out for yourself what your hair likes. I also think all toys have a learning curve so try and try and try and then give up, wait 3-5 inches and try try try it again :)

For me the single easiest toy is an acrylic stick. It will hold dry or wet hair they don't break and they come in awesome colors.

If money is really tight you can sand down a wooden chopstick and paint it with nail polish. If it's not then check out timberstone turnings and Grahtoe studios.

But just so you know, there is no such thing as "A" hair toy :)

MadeiraD
April 12th, 2014, 08:42 PM
I love my vidal sassoon avian clips almost more than my ficcares

Arwenlily
April 12th, 2014, 08:44 PM
My favoritest hair toy right now is a 3 prong jeterfork. So comfy and hold so well. Reasonably priced as well. My other favorite are mamacat spirals, but they are very hard to get.

Ohh those are beautiful! Do you have a favorite type of wood?

Arwenlily
April 12th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Arr and Quasiquixotic Thank you for the advice :) I'll start with a couple, I guess and see which ones I like the most. I don't mind that, I'm excited to try them out! I have a feeling I might like hair forks the most. Those acrylic hair sticks look pretty awesome too.

Quasiquixotic
April 12th, 2014, 08:54 PM
Sure thing. But I want pictures of your new babies or it didn't happen ;)

swords & roses
April 12th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I don't have many hair toys, either, so I understand where you're coming from! This little Ficcare-wanna-be clip (http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Salon-Clip-Hump-Cream/dp/B0052JMKHK/ref=pd_sim_bt_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=13XRQ29Q5YZNDBXGCXNZ) is absolutely wonderful. It holds any of the buns I've tried, it's very durable, and since it's plastic, I can wear it in the rain or when taking a bath without worrying if my hair clip is going to get wet. I definitely recommend that clip for one of your first hair toys! And if you find that you like it, buy another one (or five) right away! They are getting harder to find, so best to have some backups in case you ever need to replace your first one!

Valkyriejae
April 12th, 2014, 09:17 PM
I agree with quasiquixotic - 1 acrylic stick, a simple fork(2-3 prong I'd say) and a flexi. I'd say go for a flexi over a ficcare because a)they are cheaper, b)they are easier to exchange if you get the wrong size, and c) I find them more versatile/I panic less about damaging them when experimenting with new hairstyles :)

sapphire-o
April 13th, 2014, 02:34 AM
I would also recommend a couple acrylic sticks, a wood hair fork and a Ficcare. You hair seems to be thick so regular fakkares are probably not going to be big or strong enough. My hair used to be closer to iii and plastic clips hardly last a few uses. Toys for thick hair should focus on durability and size. I'd avoid thin or short sticks.

Melisandre
April 13th, 2014, 02:36 AM
Going to hijack this thread because I'm wondering from what length I could try a hair stick? My hair is fine-ish, but I have lots of it and it's *just* past my shoulders, above collarbone. I was looking at hair stick buns on Pinterest and now I want one. Or more than one :D

retrotussi
April 13th, 2014, 02:50 AM
I would start out by thinking about which hairtoy fits your style. If you are usure, I would recommend the following:

1 wooden hair fork with 2 oder 3 tines (forks with 4 tines can not be worn in ALL kind of buns and are sometimes a little bit more tricky to handle)
1 simple Flexi for buns
1 pair of acrylic sticks in a nice colour (you can wear only one aswell, depends on the bun)
1 simple Ficcare, maybe black pr matte silver or something like that

I hope I could help!

chen bao jun
April 13th, 2014, 11:29 AM
ketylo hair sticks in wood
hair toys from crockettmountainwood on etsy, they have wood and acrylic
I love my jeterforks, also

Arwenlily
April 13th, 2014, 11:54 AM
Thank you everyone for the recommendations :flower: It seems like the consensus is to get a couple of acrylic hair sticks, a hair fork and a ficcare. And also thank you everyone for mentioning different sellers for the hair toys, I really appreciate it.

I think I'm going to start with a wooden hair fork(jeterforks), one acrylic stick, and a large sized ficcare. Quasiquixotic, I promise to post some pictures when I get them in. I'm so excited :bounce:

Arwenlily
April 13th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Also, any recommendations for wood type and length of hair forks? My hair thickness is somewhere between 4-5 inches in circumference.

Here is one that I love from jeterforks: It is made of bolivian rosewood and is 5" long. What do you think?

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p743/Arwenlily/hairfork_zps69844d72.jpg (http://s1349.photobucket.com/user/Arwenlily/media/hairfork_zps69844d72.jpg.html)

Brattina88
April 13th, 2014, 12:09 PM
It's beautiful. I was going to chime in and say my favorite or the one I use the lost is my 3 prong jeterfork (black and white) . I got a 4" and I dont have a ton of "grow into" room so you might like a 5. :) I didn't want a lot of hangover because I'm natorious for jabbing myself in the neck lol.

My first hair toy was a hair stick, and after using the jeterfork I feel like the fork is "easier" for me to use. I also like my flexis but I want them to match my outfit (lol) so I don't wear them all the time. I like my ficcare, too, but I won't wear it if I'm doing anything that day that I'm worried it will get damaged or something :p
Just my two cents :)

ravenheather
April 13th, 2014, 01:12 PM
Ohh those are beautiful! Do you have a favorite type of wood?

Favoritest is black and white ebony. Honorable mention going to hawaiian koa, tulipwood.

I would think 5" would be good.

Arwenlily
April 13th, 2014, 02:45 PM
Brattina88 That definitely helps, thanks! I feel like that is how I would decide which hair toy to wear too if I had any lol
ravenheather Oo I also like the hawaiian koa too

chen bao jun
April 13th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Hmm, your hair is longer than mine and about as thick. I would recommend with jeterforks 5 inch long prongs so about six total length and I have a three prong jeterfork and a four prong and I would recommend four prongs for thicker hair (though the three isn't a fail or anything. The four just feels more secure and is easier in my opinion).

Arwenlily
April 13th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Hmm, your hair is longer than mine and about as thick. I would recommend with jeterforks 5 inch long prongs so about six total length and I have a three prong jeterfork and a four prong and I would recommend four prongs for thicker hair (though the three isn't a fail or anything. The four just feels more secure and is easier in my opinion).

I actually just purchased the jeterfork I posted above. Hopefully it will feel secure in my hair, it is 3 prong and 5 7/8 inches total length. This will be my first experiment with a hair toy, so wish me luck!

ravenheather
April 14th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Good luck. May it be the first of many. (And it probably will.)

lapushka
April 14th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I recommend Ron Quattro's Basics collection, and also Ravenslair for her basic forks and sticks.

Arwenlily
April 14th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Good luck. May it be the first of many. (And it probably will.)

I'm sure you are right .... I already made a mental wish list. Next up is an acrylic hair stick :)

Arwenlily
April 14th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I recommend Ron Quattro's Basics collection, and also Ravenslair for her basic forks and sticks.

Ooo I'll look into those, thanks!

KittyBird
April 15th, 2014, 02:47 AM
I'd recommend a few Flexi-8s in various sizes (L and XL might be good), acrylic sticks from Eaduard or OutNumberedNovelties, and a metal fork from TempestMoonStudios (because those are just fabulous!!). I adore my Ficcares, but I think Flexi-8s and sticks are easier to start with (and much cheaper!). Ficcares are pricey and very addictive :o

Else
April 15th, 2014, 02:59 AM
I recommend something you _really_ like. Most hair toys will hold up hair in a secure but gentle way. I don't think there are much differences. For me it is more important to wear a hair toy which suits me and I'm happy with to look at, to touch... The hair sticks of Nightblooming's look fabulous on other heads, but they are a little bit too glittery und girly for me. I like solid wood work or something plainer looking better and use those more frequently than others.