PDA

View Full Version : So just how bad is SLS, especially for dyed hair?

Dalila747
April 12th, 2014, 08:22 AM
I know it's supposed to be bad for hair in general, but especially for dyed hair (and mine is red) because it fades the color faster. But just how much does it fade it? Is it that noticeable???? I ask because I found a shampoo and conditioner I love, but the shampoo has SLS. It's the new Dove Dry Oil. It smells divine and really conditions my hair.

Lucky_Lucy
April 12th, 2014, 08:44 AM
I have been a SLS user and a chemical redhead for quite a while..I have to tell you, red dye just has this tendency to fade much more quickly than other colours. It does depend on the kind of dye you're using as well..I've had dye that faded to orange, dye that faded to a bit of a lighter red..dye that almost didn't fade at all, but faded tp a dark pink where the hair had been previously bleached... I have tried SLS free shampoos, but it just happened that my favourite ones(Aussie) had SLS, and they worked pretty well for my hair, so I kept using those :S
I'm not sure what else to say, other than: how much the dye will fades depends on other factors as well-for example what kind of hairdye you use :)

Dalila747
April 12th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Ok, I rechecked the bottle, and it's actually SLES, if it makes a difference or not.

Rosetta
April 12th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Ok, I rechecked the bottle, and it's actually SLES, if it makes a difference or not.
Yeah, SLES is sodium laureth sulfate, while SLS is usually used of sodium lauryl sulfate, though sometimes I've seen it used as a shorthand for both. SLES is supposed to be the milder of the two (and actually it's much more common in shampoos than SLS, at least in the ones I see here).

It isn't actually "bad for hair in general" - it's different for everyone; many find it drying, but not everyone. :) So if you don't see any adverse effects, it's fine.

lapushka
April 12th, 2014, 10:37 AM
They "say" that SL(E)S will fade dye quicker, but I'm not so sure about that. If SL(E)S doesn't bother your scalp and color (try a SL(E)S-free shampoo yourself and compare), then I'd say keep using it.

Isilme
April 12th, 2014, 10:58 AM
I couldn't have hair without some of the two. At least my scalp needs to be washed or else I itch so much I scratch until I bleed. Have you considered henna? Keep in mind that it is very permanent though. Take a look at The Henna Thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

jeanniet
April 12th, 2014, 12:38 PM
SLS is really only bad if it's bad for you personally. Some people really need them (SD, for example), while others really need to avoid them (SLS gives me a dry, itchy scalp). If the shampoo is working for you, go ahead and keep using it.

naturally yours
April 12th, 2014, 01:14 PM
There is no scientific proof/study/evidence that sls or sles causes color to fade faster than any other detergent. Use whatever shampoo your hair likes. Everyone hair is different, some people hair will like sls and some people hair my find it too harsh. If you like the shampoo use it

Anje
April 12th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Like others have said, it might fade your color faster, but it isn't necessarily bad. Some people absolutely have to get their scalps really clean and do much better with a strong detergent. Some find that their scalps get greasy faster and/or dry out if they wash with harsher detergents, while others get can't get clean enough. A few are allergic. Experimenting is not a bad idea, but it all comes down to what works for you.

Echoing the "look into henna", by the way. It's super permanent and not good for the indecisive, but it's like magic for brightening redheads and coloring long term redhead-wannabes.

Brileeka
April 12th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I've heard that SLS causes cancer and is extremly harsh but I still use shampoo with SLS in it about half the time. I don't know if the cancer thing is true but don't they say that practically everything causes cancer.

PrincessIdril
April 12th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I've heard that SLS causes cancer and is extremly harsh but I still use shampoo with SLS in it about half the time. I don't know if the cancer thing is true but don't they say that practically everything causes cancer.

Don't worry, in this particular case they are wrong :)
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

Dalila747
April 12th, 2014, 04:30 PM
I couldn't have hair without some of the two. At least my scalp needs to be washed or else I itch so much I scratch until I bleed. Have you considered henna? Keep in mind that it is very permanent though. Take a look at The Henna Thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=45

Initially I was intrigued by it, since I want to go red, but I keep on reading that eventually it turns dark (after repeated applications) and besides, it looks really messy.

Dalila747
April 12th, 2014, 04:39 PM
The red I want, eventually, is something like this:
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9f/bf/a9/9fbfa9317e76030d4959613e86fc365f.jpg

And my natural hair color is dark almost black brown. I think henna would not lighten me up as much as I want right?

Isilme
April 12th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Henna doesn't lighten at all since it is powdered plant leaves. It doesn't get dark eventually for everyone, if your hair is quite light to start with and you do roots only when you are happy with the colour it stays that way. But it can go very dark red if you keep hitting the same hair with henna time and time again.
If you want that colour then you would have to lighten your hair before henna. If you were to use henna on your natural hair colour it would probably get a warmer tone and look red in the sun. Though I haven't seen your hair.

ErinLeigh
April 12th, 2014, 07:16 PM
There was some article posted on yahoo this week about SLS and misconceptions.
One was that using sulfate free preserves length of keratin treatments. They said SLS didn't pull the keratin out any faster than non sulfate washes. Maybe it is the same for dye?

I have dyed hair and used sulfates for decades and when I switched to sulfate free I did not notice my color staying any longer.