PDA

View Full Version : Behold the power of the flat iron

Aingeal
April 11th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Here's proof of what flat ironing and dying your hair for years will do....you can see a demarcation line easily in my hair. I've had my hair bunned for three days and heavily oiled all day. Look at the difference in the hair I've taken care of and the hair I damaged. UGH I've been caring for my hair since July/August. Bunned daily, co washing, leave ins and oiling. The new growth is sooo soft and I can run my fingers through it even when curly. The old damaged hair is straw and gross. :mad: The lighting is terrible, sorry.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff27/thevictorious6/Mobile%20Uploads/1397266703_zps026e3df4.jpg

TheHowlingWolf
April 11th, 2014, 08:12 PM
ah! I know! I used to straighten my hair daily (even multiple times a day!) when I was in jr. high/high school and I want to slap my teen self! haha. I could have had amazing hair now if I didn't spend years damaging it!

divinedobbie
April 11th, 2014, 08:20 PM
Wow yeah you can definitely see the difference. I'm glad you've made positive changes, your growth looks really healthy :)

ErinLeigh
April 11th, 2014, 08:44 PM
Oh ya. Know that. I always thought I had naturally "bad hair."
Shocking to realize it was all me.

I am so happy for you for finding a new routine that gives you the glorious hair you deserve and had all along naturally. :) :)

I appreciate you sharing this. I never notice your join date and had assumed you had been here a long time. It is really cool to see you post this and show everyone the differences. I joined a month after you and remember seeing such a difference in my hair the first month. It's like something had finally clicked for me when I learned about what certain products and practices did for my hair.

Great thread. Thank you for posting it. I look forward to seeing our progress together.

Aingeal
April 11th, 2014, 08:57 PM
ah! I know! I used to straighten my hair daily (even multiple times a day!) when I was in jr. high/high school and I want to slap my teen self! haha. I could have had amazing hair now if I didn't spend years damaging it!

Its crazy the things we do for beauty and hen realize were terrible!

Wow yeah you can definitely see the difference. I'm glad you've made positive changes, your growth looks really healthy :)

Thanks! I'm glad to be seeing such a difference!

Oh ya. Know that. I always thought I had naturally "bad hair."
Shocking to realize it was all me.

I am so happy for you for finding a new routine that gives you the glorious hair you deserve and had all along naturally. :) :)

I appreciate you sharing this. I never notice your join date and had assumed you had been here a long time. It is really cool to see you post this and show everyone the differences. I joined a month after you and remember seeing such a difference in my hair the first month. It's like something had finally clicked for me when I learned about what certain products and practices did for my hair.

Great thread. Thank you for posting it. I look forward to seeing our progress together.

I felt the same! Always thought my hair was coarse and curly and therefore would never be soft. So wrong! I love seeing how my hair is changing!

HoneyDayTripper
April 11th, 2014, 09:02 PM
Wow! I remember during the early 2000s when the flat ironed sleek look was all the rage-- I used to blow-dry and straighten my hair every day. Then one day I didn't have time and I skipped it. My hair looked exactly the same- stick straight. I never straightened it again.

ScarlettAdelle
April 11th, 2014, 10:49 PM
Indeed. I gave up heat styling and colour a couple of years ago (save for the occasional flat ironing every 4 months or so) and the difference is intense! I never thought I could get to tailbone, never mind classic and now I have hopes that fingertip could one day be a reality. Now only the last few inches feel "like chow mein" as I described it. It's been a bumpy road, but worth it!

Brileeka
April 11th, 2014, 11:00 PM
My moms hair looks like that and she does nothing to damage it. I'm glad you have started taking care of your hair. it looks like it's growing in so healthy.

Seeshami
April 11th, 2014, 11:08 PM
I watched a friend flat iron her hair once and she was just as amazed by my facial expressions going from curious to confused to horrified over and over and over again. I couldn't explain to her why.

Larki
April 11th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Wow! Can I ask how often you used to flat iron it?

Jumper
April 11th, 2014, 11:26 PM
That's amazing! I wish I could show this to a coworker who told me the other day that now that she uses a chi her hair doesn't get damaged...

I was just like "it may not be breaking off but it is still being damaged."

She has shoulder length hair though and I feel like its harder to explain damage to people who get regular trims and have relatively short hair, because that is a whole different ball game than my waist long thick hair being straightened.

Your "new" hair looks fantastic!

Flor
April 12th, 2014, 12:10 AM
That's your 3rd day AND heavily oiled hair?

You may consider lightly spraying it with water (or some herbal concoction) before oiling then, to lock some moisture in. The curl pattern must have taken some beating from the flat iron, but you can improve the moisture balance :) Hair that's close to scalp tends to keep better balance, because it's naturally supplied with both oil and moisture, while the length dries up faster (especially if it became more porous due to heat styling).

Khristopher
April 12th, 2014, 12:19 AM
Seconding Flor, are you doing some moisture threatments in your rutine? Maybe you can make those ends feel better! But yeah, I know how hair straightened everyday feels. Will you microtrim or grow your hair as it is?

kidari
April 12th, 2014, 12:42 AM
I can't believe how much you can see the line of demarcation like growing out dye or something! I remember the days of daily heat styling. I would blow dry and then go over it with a curling iron back to back. It got to a point where it had to be heat styled or else it would just look like cotton candy lol. Your hair is so pretty regardless. Kudos to you for growing out the damage. I couldn't deal with it and just cut mine off then grew it long. Thank you for the reminder, because that would be so hard to do all over gain!

BettySwollocks
April 12th, 2014, 02:47 AM
Here's proof of what flat ironing and dying your hair for years will do....you can see a demarcation line easily in my hair. I've had my hair bunned for three days and heavily oiled all day. Look at the difference in the hair I've taken care of and the hair I damaged. UGH I've been caring for my hair since July/August. Bunned daily, co washing, leave ins and oiling. The new growth is sooo soft and I can run my fingers through it even when curly. The old damaged hair is straw and gross. :mad: The lighting is terrible, sorry.

Thank you so much for sharing this! :D

This if my first month here and this is my first ever post and the change in my hair has been unbelievable! To give you a bit of a background, I, like many others it seems, have straightened my hair everyday religiously for the past 8 and a half years! This past month I have managed to cut out all heat styling and, along with CWC washing (which my hair LOVES), for the first time in my life I have actually realised that I have *good* hair! It's also such a refreshing change to break away from the blow drying and straightening routine, which used to wear me into the ground as it used to take me forever and I wouldn't leave the house without my hair polka straight!

Aingeal
April 12th, 2014, 04:23 AM
That's your 3rd day AND heavily oiled hair?

You may consider lightly spraying it with water (or some herbal concoction) before oiling then, to lock some moisture in. The curl pattern must have taken some beating from the flat iron, but you can improve the moisture balance :) Hair that's close to scalp tends to keep better balance, because it's naturally supplied with both oil and moisture, while the length dries up faster (especially if it became more porous due to heat styling).

That's a good idea. Normally I damp bun and seal the ends with evoo. I also use the loc method to keep moisturizer and give deep treatments once a month. Its ridiculous how bad my hair still has it. My curl pattern for the most part is terrible at the late three to four inches. I can't wait to see what it looks like after it grows out some more. I have five inches of shrinkage, so its just now changing.

I don't wear my hair down hardly at all right now, I'm actually on month seven of wearing my hair up almost daily.

Seconding Flor, are you doing some moisture threatments in your rutine? Maybe you can make those ends feel better! But yeah, I know how hair straightened everyday feels. Will you microtrim or grow your hair as it is?

For now I'm prioritizing length, so I'm only trimming two inches every six months. I should be close to my goal length at the end of the year and will spend 2015 trimming out damage. That may change though...im getting frustrated.

Thank you so much for sharing this! :D

This if my first month here and this is my first ever post and the change in my hair has been unbelievable! To give you a bit of a background, I, like many others it seems, have straightened my hair everyday religiously for the past 8 and a half years! This past month I have managed to cut out all heat styling and, along with CWC washing (which my hair LOVES), for the first time in my life I have actually realised that I have *good* hair! It's also such a refreshing change to break away from the blow drying and straightening routine, which used to wear me into the ground as it used to take me forever and I wouldn't leave the house without my hair polka straight!

Welcome! Glad you're loving the changes as much as I have!

Aingeal
April 12th, 2014, 04:30 AM
That's amazing! I wish I could show this to a coworker who told me the other day that now that she uses a chi her hair doesn't get damaged...

I was just like "it may not be breaking off but it is still being damaged."

She has shoulder length hair though and I feel like its harder to explain damage to people who get regular trims and have relatively short hair, because that is a whole different ball game than my waist long thick hair being straightened.

Your "new" hair looks fantastic!

Thank you! Yeah, you wouldn't believe how different the new hair feels from the old. Crazy sauce.

I watched a friend flat iron her hair once and she was just as amazed by my facial expressions going from curious to confused to horrified over and over and over again. I couldn't explain to her why.

Lol! Would have loved to see that!

Wow! Can I ask how often you used to flat iron it?

Quite often. I used to think I had terrible hair, so I started ironing my tailbone length hair on the ironing board in high school. From there I cut it all off to shoulder and would blow dry And the flat iron. Then I started bleaching in highlights. So my hair has been abused for the better part of 12 years. I have always missed my long hair but knew Id never get it back abusing it, so here I am. My goal is to get it back to what it was.

Marron
April 12th, 2014, 04:52 PM
I feel sorry for how your hair was damaged, Aingeal.

But I wanted to speak up for the people who feel the need of straightening their hair. I wouldn't say that everyone needs to abandon their flat iron in order to grow their hair. I'm a 3a curly hair and have been straightening my hair ever since with some minor attempts to let it be.

This is my hair, after it has been dried in a bun.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/sewing-sue/1580010b-a064-4cf1-b093-f5b7a3ab99af.jpg

with flash

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/sewing-sue/d5d57788-26ab-4b02-8dc8-0e3cfb9f4964.jpg

Of course I'm not a "real longhair" with hair that can be stretched to waist at maximum. But I'm still growing ;) I started experiencing split ends at midback. My hair has been bleached and dyed also.
While straightening your hair is certainly no positive treatment I do not think it means that you can't have long hair while using it. Maybe it applies to people with fine hair, I don't know. But I don't want curly heads to get disappointed because everyone tells them they need to abandon their flat iron in order to get long hair. It still depends on the structure of the actual hair and the overall maintenance.

sweaterweather
April 12th, 2014, 05:14 PM
Great progress! I used to straighten my hair every single morning. The reason, I have no clue. My hair is already straight without it! Now, I've happily been heat free for at least a year.

HazelBug
April 13th, 2014, 02:08 AM
I feel sorry for how your hair was damaged, Aingeal.

But I wanted to speak up for the people who feel the need of straightening their hair. I wouldn't say that everyone needs to abandon their flat iron in order to grow their hair. I'm a 3a curly hair and have been straightening my hair ever since with some minor attempts to let it be.

This is my hair, after it has been dried in a bun.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/sewing-sue/1580010b-a064-4cf1-b093-f5b7a3ab99af.jpg

with flash

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h346/sewing-sue/d5d57788-26ab-4b02-8dc8-0e3cfb9f4964.jpg

Of course I'm not a "real longhair" with hair that can be stretched to waist at maximum. But I'm still growing ;) I started experiencing split ends at midback. My hair has been bleached and dyed also.
While straightening your hair is certainly no positive treatment I do not think it means that you can't have long hair while using it. Maybe it applies to people with fine hair, I don't know. But I don't want curly heads to get disappointed because everyone tells them they need to abandon their flat iron in order to get long hair. It still depends on the structure of the actual hair and the overall maintenance.

It is very true that some people can handle more things done to their hair than others. I'm not prone to splits and breakage. My hair does get pretty dry with what I've done to it. But with this sight I've been able to manage that much better. I am the type that can dye and bleach my hair without my hair breaking off or splitting. Right now my preference is not to do these things though. But most others (my sister for instance) can't do the same things or their hair turns to straw.

Some can handle the hair drier or straightener. But I'm glad that the original poster found out that it doesn't work for her. (I assume poster was a female. correct me if I'm wrong please!)