PDA

View Full Version : How to get these waves?

threadOfGold
April 11th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions of how I can get my hair to form these waves/curls naturally without heat
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&hl=en-gb&biw=768&bih=928&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=rs1HU5vYHouM7Aa4xIH4CA&q=elizabeth+woodville+bbc+hair&oq=elizabeth+woodville+bbc+hair&gs_l=tablet-gws.3...47212.54332.0.55216.36.19.0.0.0.4.248.2042 .1j1j8.10.0....0...1c.1.40.tablet-gws..33.3.615.ogV6uHQcFHw#biv=i%7C111%3Bd%7C-Bemyrtpa_2PSM%3A
(The woman with her hair loose)
I will take any suggestions, washing routines, plopping, ways to wear it when wet etc..
excited to hear your ideas!

Kelikea
April 11th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I've gotten a similar look from braiding my hair while its damp and then rolling the ends in sponge rollers. That way, the ends curl instead of looking crimpy. You could do French or Dutch braids, but I've had good results from a high pony tail braided. Just leave it over night and undo in the morning.

lapushka
April 11th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I agree with Kelikea! Those look darn close to braid waves. Also a good suggestion to roll the ends up in a few rollers. Torrinpaige, I think, first used that technique. In fact, look at these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0NMLSUICp4 (braid waves)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ZgOhopgL8 (rag curls)

threadOfGold
April 11th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Thank you these are perfect suggestions! Those tutorials are AMAZING and the braid waves look exactly how I want to get my hair! Are the rollers damaging or not at all?

lapushka
April 11th, 2014, 07:16 AM
Are the rollers damaging or not at all?

Depends on what rollers you use. Wouldn't use velcro rollers, but flexi rods or something like that won't hurt.

Lucky_Lucy
April 11th, 2014, 08:10 AM
^I agree; the flexi rods are great :) I get similar results from a four strand braid, it's my personal favourite in terms of over-night braiding:)

Sharysa
April 11th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Yep, most types of braid-waves will give you the medieval princess-hair look. I need to set my Dutch braids while my hair's damp, but they still hold well, especially if your hair is naturally wavy or holds styles easily. Plus, braid waves are realistically how most women got waves medieval times since they kept their hair braided most of the time anyway.

ScarlettAdelle
April 11th, 2014, 12:13 PM
If you can master the technique of putting your own hair in rollers (I use the oldschool magnetic ones with the clips like they did in the 50's and they're amazing), they can achieve that look and let you keep it for days. If your hair is naturally straight, wrap it spiral curl style with some setting lotion around the rollers and clip them. When they're dry, brush them out and you're good to go.

GoldenSilk
April 12th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Braid waves would work great!

Recently, I accidentally got a really good wavy set, much more than my natural wave, by going to the beach in tight braids, rinsing out the saltwater, and letting my hair dry in the braids. So if you're not getting enough wave, you could try using saltwater... carefully, because it can be drying.

Kelikea
April 12th, 2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you these are perfect suggestions! Those tutorials are AMAZING and the braid waves look exactly how I want to get my hair! Are the rollers damaging or not at all?

I don't find sponge rollers to be damaging. They are made of soft pink spongy foam.

Dandelion6
April 12th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Braids. Yup. That's what it is!

retrotussi
April 13th, 2014, 03:33 AM
I would brad the hair in three braids, using big chunks of thick fabric as two of the three strands you are braiding. this should result in very big braid waves and look similar to the photo! Good luck! :)