PDA

View Full Version : Longest lasting deposit-only semi-permanent hair color?

dontbrushmicurl
April 10th, 2014, 11:17 PM
I'm a long-time henna user (10+ years), and due to some scalp issues, am considering switching to a semi-permanent dye of a similar color. My scalp issue is that I have seborrheic dermatitis, and I think the henna powder is exacerbating my scalp buildup. No amount of mermaid washing, co-washing, or T/Sal washing can get my scalp free of brown buildup for a couple of weeks after I henna. (Sorry, gross.) The longer I go since I've hennaed, the less scalp buildup I have. I also have a lot of shedding that may be due to it. I've used henna for so long it's hard for me to know what my scalp would be like without it.

So, I'd like to try out semi-permanent color for a while (of course, I'll patch-test first). My hair is naturally dark brown with about 10% gray, and the henna tints my brown hair dark reddish and turns my grays bright red. This is exactly the color I am hoping to keep up!

Before discovering henna, I was trying to get that effect with semi-permanent colors and liked Special Effects Blood Red best. It lasted much longer than Manic Panic and was a darker red on me. My hair is dark enough that it is really hard to get them to show up. Back then, I didn't have any gray, but now I suspect that using one of those "outrageous" colors would make my grays neon pink.

I'm looking for a semi-permanent that has no peroxide or ammonia (no mixing with developers), that will be bold enough to show up on my dark hair and tint my grays, and that will last as long as possible. I'm hoping to go a month between colorings so my poor scalp can be left alone for a bit! I live in the US and am hoping for something I can get on the ground, like at Sally's.

From my research on this site and Sally's, I've found a couple of products I'm interested in vetting (feel free to suggest others): Ion Color Brilliance Semi-Permanent, Clairol Beautiful Collection, Bigen Semi-Perm, or Silk Elements.

TIA!

ExpectoPatronum
April 11th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Hey there! I won't be too much help because I don't have grays, but I used an Ion Color Brilliance semi-permanent dye in a darker red color and while it did give me nice color, it didn't last very long at all. Maybe a couple weeks at most. So if you want something long lasting, that one might not be your best bet.

dontbrushmicurl
April 11th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Good to know about Ion. I'll try out some other brands first then. I'm thinking about the Bigen Semi-Perm, since it seems to be marketed towards AA and Asian hair. I'm white, but I'm thinking those might give good coverage on my dark hair. Anyone have experience with these other colors?

I'm also wondering if anyone else has experienced the henna scalp buildup I mentioned above. It seems like the vast majority of people with scalp issues find that henna helps their hair. I'm not sure if the henna is making my SD worse, but it's definitely not helping!

Scarlet_Heart
April 11th, 2014, 05:23 PM
I second Ion Color Brilliance! I have to get it from the beauty supply store (Sally's here). But I have used both a red and a medium brown and both stayed for months. I used a level 10 developer with it.

Loviatar
April 11th, 2014, 06:03 PM
I seem to remember older threads saying Bigen had a very high level of PPD.

I also like Ion, and while I wouldn't call it semi permanent per se, Crazy Color temporary dyes stuck like glue to my hair. Especially the black. Special effects deposit only dye is also very long lasting. You could try mixing black and blood red to avoid the neon greys effect!

Stellaaa
April 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM
Scarlet_Heart - if you're using a developer then it's not semi permanent, it's demi-permanent, and will last a long time (like forever). Semi, OTOH, has no developer - thus "deposit only".

I switched from demi perm (Natural Instincts) to Sally's Ion Color Brilliance Semi last fall. Scalp is VERY happy for the change, but I can't recommend this for long lasting. I colour every 3 weeks to a month, I would anyway just to cover roots, but the semi really needs it. It fades with every wash.

dontbrushmicurl
April 11th, 2014, 07:19 PM
Scarlet_Heart - if you're using a developer then it's not semi permanent, it's demi-permanent, and will last a long time (like forever). Semi, OTOH, has no developer - thus "deposit only".

I switched from demi perm (Natural Instincts) to Sally's Ion Color Brilliance Semi last fall. Scalp is VERY happy for the change, but I can't recommend this for long lasting. I colour every 3 weeks to a month, I would anyway just to cover roots, but the semi really needs it. It fades with every wash.

Sounds like Ion is quite popular on here! They did look like they had a lot of nice colors available, too. Do you guys have any tips for getting it to last longer? How long do you leave it on?

I seem to remember older threads saying Bigen had a very high level of PPD.

I also like Ion, and while I wouldn't call it semi permanent per se, Crazy Color temporary dyes stuck like glue to my hair. Especially the black. Special effects deposit only dye is also very long lasting. You could try mixing black and blood red to avoid the neon greys effect!

Ha! Love the idea of mixing the Special Effects dyes. They did treat me well!

Do you know if those comments were about Bigen's other product, their permanent powder? Their semi-perm seems to be new, but I can't find an ingredient list anywhere, which is sketchy.

Stellaaa
April 11th, 2014, 07:32 PM
Sounds like Ion is quite popular on here! They did look like they had a lot of nice colors available, too. Do you guys have any tips for getting it to last longer? How long do you leave it on?

Yeah, I wish!
Don't wash it, is the only thing that works for me. Even then, I sweat it off, I think. The irony being, that I found peroxide VERY drying, and I could stretch washes a lot easier when I used it.

I leave it on for about 25 minutes, as recommended for blending grey. And of course, it takes about 20 minutes for me to get the stuff on, I think.

Robot Ninja
April 11th, 2014, 08:35 PM
I found Manic Panic to be longer lasting than the Ion, and it's not known as one of the longer-lasting semis. To make it last longer...leave it on your hair as long as possible (even overnight, if you want to; I can't sleep with saran wrap on my head, but I leave it on for at least five hours), stretch washes, wash with the coldest water you can stand. I find CO-washing really helps, but if you have scalp problems that might not be an option. Also, adding a little bit of dye to your conditioner helps refresh the color.

Yes, it will make your greys really really bright. It'll make your scalp really really bright too, but most of it comes off my scalp with the first wash.

dontbrushmicurl
April 11th, 2014, 09:42 PM
I found Manic Panic to be longer lasting than the Ion, and it's not known as one of the longer-lasting semis. To make it last longer...leave it on your hair as long as possible (even overnight, if you want to; I can't sleep with saran wrap on my head, but I leave it on for at least five hours), stretch washes, wash with the coldest water you can stand. I find CO-washing really helps, but if you have scalp problems that might not be an option. Also, adding a little bit of dye to your conditioner helps refresh the color.

Yes, it will make your greys really really bright. It'll make your scalp really really bright too, but most of it comes off my scalp with the first wash.

Thanks! Whatever semi-perm I choose, I plan to leave it on for a really long time anyway. I'm used to it since I usually leave henna on for 4 hours.

Has anyone tried Adore color? I found this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109113.html. Several people seemed to like it and said it was long lasting. I haven't seen it around here, but it's cheap on Amazon.

DragonFlyPie
April 11th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I used to use Manic Panic all the time. I usually left it on for 8-10 hours minimum. I would only shampoo my roots/scalp every other day (or sometimes would just CO wash, which makes it last much longer!!) I did not have much issue at all with it fading, and I only had to keep dying to keep on top of the new root growth. I have ashy brown hair with some greys.

I believe I went a few weeks once, with CO wash only & had virtually no dye loss. Then decided it was time to shampoo & it looked like a murder scene in my bath tub - so yes, CO washing will definitely help retain the color.

I tried Special Effects a few times & it was a nightmare for me. It rubbed off on anything my hair touched, for weeks. No matter how much I washed my hair, it bled dye all over (and I'm talking about bone dry hair, too!!) All my shirts ended up with pink/red dye all over them, pillowcases were stained. Never had that issue with manic panic.

Scarlet_Heart
April 12th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Yes, it's demi, which is non-permanent (and definitely not forever) but long-lasting. Ion Color Brilliance is, after all, demi. It says so on the box. The level 10 does not lighten at all, just lifts the cuticle enough to deposit the color. So when it fades, there is no brassiness or anything like you would have with permanent color. From my experience, long-lasting semi-permanent dye is a myth. But then, I have stubborn hair. Color washes out fast for me.

Also Natural Instincts is semi-perm.

Hope this helps, OP.

Rosetta
April 12th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Has anyone tried Adore color? I found this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-109113.html. Several people seemed to like it and said it was long lasting. I haven't seen it around here, but it's cheap on Amazon.
I've used it (and I think there are many others here who do); the colours are really quite bright and very long-lasting, in my experience (see below ;)).

From my experience, long-lasting semi-permanent dye is a myth. But then, I have stubborn hair. Color washes out fast for me.
From my experience, on already processed hair it really is long-lasting ;) I've had to use a color remover (like Colour B4 or Color Oops) several times to get semi-permanents out... (Well, they probably would have faded on their own at some point, be it years or months, but I just wanted to get rid of the dye sooner ;))
But I think I've seen several people here say a semi has stuck in their hair permanently. For example http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121289.

Stellaaa
April 12th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, it's demi, which is non-permanent (and definitely not forever) but long-lasting. Ion Color Brilliance is, after all, demi. It says so on the box. The level 10 does not lighten at all, just lifts the cuticle enough to deposit the color. So when it fades, there is no brassiness or anything like you would have with permanent color. From my experience, long-lasting semi-permanent dye is a myth. But then, I have stubborn hair. Color washes out fast for me.

Also Natural Instincts is semi-perm.

Hope this helps, OP.

Natural Instincts uses developer - it's a demi. I used it for YEARS. And, believe me, if you apply it repeatedly to grey/white hair it never goes away. I know it's supposed to fade in 28 washings ... I used Color Oops about once a year to get rid of excess colour. And under that excess colour - brassy ginger-stained greys. I'm so glad Sally's came to town because I just couldn't buy any semi since Loving Care disappeared from the drug stores.

Ion Colour Brilliance comes in semi, demi and permanent versions - that's where we got confused. I use this one (http://www.sallybeauty.com/ion-hair-color/ION90,default,pd.html#start=12), and love it. I just wish it would last longer.

ETA: the link should go to Light Warm Brown, but doesn't. Anyone else find Sally's web site a bit of a PITA?

dontbrushmicurl
April 12th, 2014, 06:27 PM
I've used it (and I think there are many others here who do); the colours are really quite bright and very long-lasting, in my experience (see below ;)).

From my experience, on already processed hair it really is long-lasting ;) I've had to use a color remover (like Colour B4 or Color Oops) several times to get semi-permanents out... (Well, they probably would have faded on their own at some point, be it years or months, but I just wanted to get rid of the dye sooner ;))
But I think I've seen several people here say a semi has stuck in their hair permanently. For example http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=121289.

Sounds like Adore might be our winner for longest-lasting then! Did you apply it to damp or dry hair? Apply heat? How long did you leave it on?

Looking at the website, I'm thinking "intense red" might be what I'm looking for. Anyone used that shade? I'm looking for a true red (not orangey or purpley) that is bold enough to show up on my dark brown hair.

Thanks everyone, you have been really helpful so far! <3

Scarlet_Heart
April 12th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Then I'm afraid I'm still confused. I didn't think developer was the determinant factor regarding whether a hair color was semi or demi. If that's the case, what's the difference between demi and permanent? :confused: Every time I've bought or seen Natural Instincts, the box said it's a level 2 semi permanent hair color. That's why I can't use it. It washes out in one wash for me. I have found that demi is the perfect balance for me. It sticks around longer than semi, but doesn't have the peroxide damage and resulting brassiness of permanent. :shrug:

Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color with a unique blend of aloe and coconut--it's haircolor that actually improves the healthy look of your hair. Natural Instincts is an ammonia-free formula that gives you healthier-looking, radiant color and blends away gray in 10 minutes. Clairol's semi-permanent Natural Instincts system features aloe, vitamin E, and coconut oil. It's proven less damaging.
Source: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clairol-Natural-Instincts-Hair-Color-20RB-Bright-Auburn-Brown/33819169

ETA: It would appear that we are both kind of right. Demi is a deposit-only formula because it does not use peroxide or ammonia like permanent does. But you are right that semi does not use developer.
http://www.clairolpro.com/hair-color-techniques/faq/demi-semi-color

Stellaaa
April 12th, 2014, 08:19 PM
Then I'm afraid I'm still confused. I didn't think developer was the determinant factor regarding whether a hair color was semi or demi. If that's the case, what's the difference between demi and permanent? :confused: Every time I've bought or seen Natural Instincts, the box said it's a level 2 semi permanent hair color. That's why I can't use it. It washes out in one wash for me. I have found that demi is the perfect balance for me. It sticks around longer than semi, but doesn't have the peroxide damage and resulting brassiness of permanent. :shrug:

Source: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Clairol-Natural-Instincts-Hair-Color-20RB-Bright-Auburn-Brown/33819169

ETA: It would appear that we are both kind of right. Demi is a deposit-only formula because it does not use peroxide or ammonia like permanent does. But you are right that semi does not use developer.

Yeah, we're both right. In Canada, Clairol just calls Natural Instincts "non-permanent" and dropped the semi-demi thing. The OP specified "deposit only", I'll stick to that terminology.

Adore was recommended to me when I wanted to switch to deposit only colour, but I can't find it around here. It does sound like a winner.

Rosetta
April 14th, 2014, 01:00 AM
Sounds like Adore might be our winner for longest-lasting then! Did you apply it to damp or dry hair? Apply heat? How long did you leave it on?
Please bear in mind that I used it on processed hair, i.e. hair that had previously seen some permanent dye/bleach - these deposit-only dyes really seem to stick on such hair! ;) "Virgin" hair might behave very differently.

It's been a while since I used Adore, but I think I applied it on damp hair, as it's supposed to be used after shampooing. I've never applied heat as I don't generally use it at all, but on virgin hair it might help. I'm sorry I can't remember anymore how long I left it on, probably around 20-30 mins as recommended :)

Yes, the terminology is a bit confusing ;), but to my knowledge the more "correct" one is that semi-permanent is the one that doesn't use peroxide/developer (they're basically same thing), and demi is the one that does (so it's mixed with a developer). (Though some hair dye companies use it differently, as seen in the link.)

Andeee
April 14th, 2014, 04:35 AM
Can I butt in with a question about Manic Panic? The last time I used it my entire face was stained a light purple and I had trouble getting it out! This was just from rinsing in the shower. Any tips to prevent this?

Scarlet_Heart
April 14th, 2014, 09:20 AM
Can I butt in with a question about Manic Panic? The last time I used it my entire face was stained a light purple and I had trouble getting it out! This was just from rinsing in the shower. Any tips to prevent this?

I would try a non-comedogenic (skin/pore friendly) oil, all over your face. Jojoba, camelia, mineral oil, and petroleum jelly are all non-comedogenic (http://illumineat.wordpress.com/2011/06/11/comedogenic-and-non-comedogenic-oils/). Wash your face, apply the oil all over liberally, and then carry on with your coloring. I think that would help. :)

sumidha
April 14th, 2014, 10:32 AM
The two women I know who consistently dye their hair with deposit only dyes both swear by Special FX over Manic Panic, but I have not used it myself.

oatmealpie
April 14th, 2014, 11:22 AM
FWIW I've used Manic Panic, Adore, and Directions over my hennaed hair and haven't noticed a difference in staying power or dye transfer. The Manic Panic is the most conditioning of the three, though.

dontbrushmicurl
April 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
FWIW I've used Manic Panic, Adore, and Directions over my hennaed hair and haven't noticed a difference in staying power or dye transfer. The Manic Panic is the most conditioning of the three, though.

Ooh, thanks for your reply, oatmealpie! Mind if I pick your brain since we have similar hair situations? What colors were you using? How long did you leave them on? How long did they tend to last on your hair? Did it work ok over henna (no weird colors or breakage)? Thanks!

oatmealpie
April 14th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Ooh, thanks for your reply, oatmealpie! Mind if I pick your brain since we have similar hair situations? What colors were you using? How long did you leave them on? How long did they tend to last on your hair? Did it work ok over henna (no weird colors or breakage)? Thanks!

Here's a link to my Pinterest board (http://www.pinterest.com/oatmealpie/hair-journal/) with photos and notes on color experiments. I usually leave on deposit dyes for about 2 1/2 hours, and they last for maybe 3-4 weeks over my hennaed hair. The fading process is gradual, though, so it's hard to tell. My favorite is probably a 50/50 blend of Adore Paprika and Directions Flame. Once you find your favorite color or color combination, I recommend mixing it up with some of your favorite deep conditioner (I use Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle, 1 part conditioner and 1 part dye). Then you can use it to do a weekly deep treatment in the shower to help the color last longer.

dontbrushmicurl
April 16th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Here's a link to my Pinterest board (http://www.pinterest.com/oatmealpie/hair-journal/) with photos and notes on color experiments. I usually leave on deposit dyes for about 2 1/2 hours, and they last for maybe 3-4 weeks over my hennaed hair. The fading process is gradual, though, so it's hard to tell. My favorite is probably a 50/50 blend of Adore Paprika and Directions Flame. Once you find your favorite color or color combination, I recommend mixing it up with some of your favorite deep conditioner (I use Aussie's 3 Minute Miracle, 1 part conditioner and 1 part dye). Then you can use it to do a weekly deep treatment in the shower to help the color last longer.

Love how you've documented everything on Pinterest! What a great idea! Question: I noticed that you for your dye jobs, you mixed in 1 part GVP CB to 2 parts dye. Why?