PDA

View Full Version : Vertical stick held buns

Kitten1030
April 10th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Some of my sticks are too long to use horizontally with my little buns. Any suggestions for buns that can hold with the stick vertically? My hair is just past bra strap/mid back and fairly thin. Any links to tutorials would be awesome too, thanks!

mouse2cat
April 10th, 2014, 07:53 PM
A figure 8 bun can be vertical and it was good for me at that length.

Wavelength
April 10th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I've found long sticks aren't so great to use vertically. They tend to poke the back of your neck every time you lift your chin. Sometimes it can really hurt, especially if the stick is tapered and pointy.

Just something to keep in mind. YMMV though.

Neoma
April 10th, 2014, 08:28 PM
I do a Pencil Bun (or maybe it's a Nautilus, I can never tell them apart) and turn it so the holes are at 12:00 and 6:00 instead of 9:00 and 3:00. I insert the stick through the top hole and out the bottom hole. It looks really cool -- like a figure-8 on the left-hand side and a smooth wrap on the right-hand side. I call it a Vertical Wrapped Bun.

Also, the Neoma Knot is a vertical wrapped bun. There are instructions on the site somewhere...:flower:

AlleyKitten
April 10th, 2014, 09:22 PM
I tend to offset the stick when I'm doing a vertical figure 8 bun to avoid the poking-the-neck issue -- between 1:00 and 2:00 down to 7:00 or 8:00. I will also readjust it over the day to keep most of the extra length of the stick above the bun instead of below it.

GoldenSilk
April 10th, 2014, 10:50 PM
My favorite vertical stick bun is the Pha bun. Some tutorials say you can only use a fork, but it does work with a stick, you just have to be careful not to do it too tightly. It holds great, and I bet you could do it at your length.

Using a longer stick in a vertical bun does tend to give you the "single antenna" look from the front, because you can't put the stick down very low or risk poking yourself in the neck. I like to do vertical buns somewhat diagonally instead, so that if I do poke myself, it won't be quite straight on.

Natalia
April 10th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Rotating the nautilus, figure 8/infinity, and pha bun are the first that come to mind. My hair is thin and fine so i can get away with some buns sooner than other since my length isnt bulky but you should be able to do at least the nautilus.

Night_Kitten
April 12th, 2014, 01:09 PM
I also like the Pha bun and I also use a stick to hold it up... From my experience the bun tends to rotate itself a bit when held with a single stick, so it ends up as slightly off verticle which prevents the stick poking neck issue... :)