PDA

View Full Version : What effects does alcoholism have on hair and hair growth?

Leslieslsa
April 10th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I am trying to quit so I am looking for every reason I can find. Can anyone tell me?

0xalis
April 10th, 2014, 01:33 PM
My mom is a recovering alcoholic (about 18 years sober) and her hair was a disaster when she was drinking. She never really took care of her hair but it was definitely worse when she was a drunk. A lot of the damage came about from mistreatment (she was a blackout-er) but also from malnourishment. She drank a lot and ate little. Not to mention, hair growth starts inside of your body and alcohol is not good for the body, so i'm sure it's not good for hair.

swearnsue
April 10th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Alcohol affects, negatively, every organ of the body. When I used to drink my hair fell out in handfuls! I don't remember if it even grew or not, but it got so thin, dry, scraggly.

Good luck on your journey! Your hair, skin, liver, stomach, and family will thank you!

noteve
April 10th, 2014, 01:36 PM
Recovering alcoholic here!

I haven't notice a difference in hair growth rate since I quit drinking.

However I'm much more capable of taking care of my hair, so it's less damaged and looks much better. Feel free to message me if you ever need someone to talk to!

Islandgrrl
April 10th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Alcoholics are not typically getting enough nutrients because the consumption of alcohol often displaces the consumption of nutritious foods. So any time a person is not getting adequate nutrition, the hair (skin, organs, person) will suffer.

Leslieslsa, I'm sorry if you are suffering from alcoholism. You did say you want to quit drinking. It would be good to focus on eating really nutritious whole foods, while you are hopefully getting treatment or support in changing your lifestyle.

Wishing you the best.

nakima
April 10th, 2014, 01:47 PM
Im also recovering alcoholic here (28 years) and drinking really does effect the hair as well as everything else. My hair was very oily as well as dry and brittle. Over use of booze stresses out the whole system. I know people who have bad fall out as well as bald areas. Not attractive at all. I wish you well on your new sober journey and like noteve said we're here for you and remember S-O-B-E-R = Son Of B.... Everythings Real :) hope that doesnt get me kicked off here but it is soooo true.

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2014, 01:52 PM
My mom is an alcoholic and before she got all the damaged stuff chopped off a few days ago it was in horrific condition. It was damaged from over dying it as well. She had to go from BSL to chin to get it all off. She's now sporting an almost all natural grey chin length bob. She has some blonde tips on the bottom yet. We're working on less to drink, more fruits and veggies, and proper hair care. I put CO in her hair for her before she goes to bed at night and a tiny bit after a shower.

He hair before her cut was in such bad condition that it turned into one massive solid mat at the back of her head. She would then impatiently and hung over rip a brush through it to detangle it. It was awful!

maliaraQs
April 10th, 2014, 02:04 PM
Congratulations on starting your journey. To my understanding, alcohol can disrupt a woman's hormonal balance, which of course will affect your hair (more so if you are menopausal or postmeno).

I would suggest working on replacing nutrients with yogurt, vit E, vit C, B complex, calcium and magnesium, and of course, drink lots of water.

proo
April 10th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Sending the big love,
you can do this

Hairitic
April 11th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Another recovering alcoholic here! :p. 7+ years. I had started to grow my hair out while still drinking partly because too much of my money was going to alcohol. Unfortunately, my hair was frizzy, dull and dry on the ends. It also would never grow past waist and the ends were thin and had lots of splits. Now my hair is silky, shiny, soft and has almost no splits despite only trimming 2-3 times a year. I also eat more nutritiously now and my overall health is much better. I would counsel you to seek assistance via AA or some other support group to aid you on your journey. You may also message me anytime if you need to talk. Best wishes. HUGS to you and congratulations on your decision to quit drinking. :applause

lapushka
April 11th, 2014, 02:35 PM
I am trying to quit so I am looking for every reason I can find. Can anyone tell me?

Weren't you on meds as well? Good a reason as any! Meds and alcohol don't mix. I recall you starting a thread about your meds and why you felt so bad on them... the alcohol might explain a lot of things!

I agree with Hairitic to seek help from a support group or AA. You probably cannot do this all by yourself. We have 2 alcoholics in the family (one is my uncle - by marriage, and his son, my cousin who is my age (which makes it all the more sad to see)), so I know how hard it can be.

MadeiraD
April 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
AA's success rate isn't better than quitting on your own, admittedly it's what works for some people, but it isn't the only approach that works.

http://www.salon.com/2014/03/23/the_pseudo_science_of_alcoholics_anonymous_theres_ a_better_way_to_treat_addiction/

Many people find a lot of success with psychotherapy and medication (as addiction is often a symptom of dopamine insensitivity in the brain, which is something that can be corrected with meds).

As to it's effect on the health and growth of hair, I'd guess it either doesn't effect hair growth or has a negative impact on it. Even if it has no negative effect on actual growth, your ability to care for yourself (and your hair) will be better if you quit drinking.