PDA

View Full Version : mature hair tips ?

wavyhair
April 10th, 2014, 01:21 PM
hey does anyone have any advice on what to eat and stuff to slow down/ reverse aging hair ? i haven't had any thinning but my hairs loosing its shine and looking frizzier and not the way it was. does anyone have any tips on how to make aging hair smoother and shiny again from with in without having to rely on just hair oils etc.. i heard phyto-estrogens can help aging hair im not sure if that's true though ? my hairs always been dark and thick and it hasent got any grays yet

DweamGoiL
April 10th, 2014, 02:02 PM
When you say 'mature'...what age bracket are you referring to? I think it will help narrow down some things. I am in my 40's and have some greying at the temples, but as far as condition, I don't see substantial difference. I do feel it has thinned since I was in my 30's, but only I would notice this. Other than that, if it were me, I would not delve into any hormone derivatives even if they are plant based. We just don't know enough about them when used for prolonged periods of time. I think hair condition can be better managed through good nutrition, stress management, and simple TLC. Lot of ladies on the forum are well into their 60's and have gorgeous heads of hair.

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2014, 02:05 PM
I'd say eating a well balanced diet is a good start. Lots of fruits, veggies, water, protein and healthy fats. Relying on hair oils isn't such a bad thing. I like to smooth coconut oil on mine after I wash and the shine I get is amazing.

Madora
April 10th, 2014, 02:16 PM
First of all, be sure you are eating a good diet, and that includes meat. Drink plenty of water. Get enough sleep. Exercise moderately.

I don't use oil on my hair and it is shiny, healthy and soft because of my daily brushing with a bbb. I do have grey hair (not much) but don't care.

Your hair could be losing its shine because of several things: diet, lack of hair follicle stimulation...or whatever you're putting on your hair now. You didn't say what your hair routine was so it is hard to say what is causing your problem.

As for the frizz aspect, you might want to investigate mineral oil: Link: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-skinny-details-on-mineral-oil-baby.html

jeanniet
April 10th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I don't think hair necessarily loses condition as you age. Sometimes it thins somewhat, but changes in actual condition of the hair itself may be related to something else. If you haven't had a blood panel done lately, I'd do that. Make sure your thyroid, etc. are working properly. Then eat a good diet, with fresh foods and plenty of veggies and greens, get enough sleep, etc. Also make sure you're not doing anything mechanically damaging to your hair.

roseomalley
April 19th, 2014, 06:39 PM
My hair is 3/4 grey now. The grey does not reflect the light, so it does not have the shine It used to have. I try to take good care. I eat well, take a multi-vitamin, use a BBB, I put coconut oil on the ends and oil heavier the night before shampoo day. I wish there were some way to bring back the shine. Any suggestions for shinier grey?
I am 67 and my hair is also thinning at the top. Medication for a blood disorder has added to that issue. I feel I shouldn't complain, though, as my sister has lost more than half her hair.

ravenreed
April 19th, 2014, 09:08 PM
I am also dealing with thinning. It is rather vexing but since most women I know that are my age or older have the same issue, I think it may just be one if those things that happens to some of us. I intend to have a check up since I have hypothyroidism, but other than that I don't think there is much I can do.

ashke50
April 20th, 2014, 03:36 AM
I don't know if it would have the sane effect on silver hair, but a white vinegar rinse made my dark blonde hair really shiny . Worth trying?

roseomalley
April 20th, 2014, 08:59 PM
Ravenreed, You are right about the thinning, I know. I am trying hard to remain positive.
Ashke50, I will try a white vinegar rinse next washday, which is Tuesday. Thank you both.

xoChesleyy
April 21st, 2014, 10:26 AM
I would make sure you are taking an omega-3 fish oil supplement daily. (If you're vegetarian/vegan there are omega-3 'fish free' algae supplements.)
Make sure you're drinking plenty of water.. Usually half of your body weight in ounces is recommended daily.
Eat plenty of fresh fruits and veggies. As well as 'healthy fats' such as coconut oil, avocados, nuts, etc.
Also, oiling helps! I personally prefer doing a coconut oil treatment the night before I'm going to shampoo.
A weekly/bi-weekly ACV rinse is also great for clarifying and making your hair very shiny.
Oh, and you could also consider taking a daily multi-vitamin as well.
That's some of my suggestions, hopefully they help! (:

roseomalley
April 22nd, 2014, 02:39 PM
I did not realize that there were vegetarian omega-3 supplements! I hope to buy some, but I am on blood thinners, and I have to check with the doctor first. Some medications interfere with the blood thinner.