PDA

View Full Version : Accepting Curly Hair

ExpectoPatronum
April 10th, 2014, 11:41 AM
I'm on the journey (once again) to accepting my natural hair texture. Though I like to deny it and you can't tell from my signature, my hair is 2c/3a. I didn't have curly hair as a kid, but that all changed when I hit puberty. That said, because I didn't grow up with curly hair, I didn't know how to take care of it. I've learned a lot thanks to LHC and youtube but there are still things I need to work on.

My mom has curly/wavy hair that she flat irons. My aunts all have wavy "frizzy" hair that they all blow dry or flat iron straight. Basically, nearly everyone in my family has "frizzy" hair that they tame with heat tools. Whenever I'm around my family, the comments I get range from "You should flat iron your hair, you look so nice with straight hair" and "You need to tame the beast that's on your head." I think these kinds of comments have made it hard for me to like my curly hair, so every time I get on the curly hair bandwagon, I fall off a month or two later.

I've been back on the natural hair bandwagon for a couple weeks now and really don't want to get to the point where I fall off again. I do still have a lot of "bad" hair days because I haven't quite mastered the second day hair thing yet, but my hair looks much shinier and isn't so frizzy.

To all the curlies (or even straighties) out there...How did you come to accept (or even love) your hair texture? I'm really tired of going back and forth and I really just want to have pretty hair :/

ErinLeigh
April 10th, 2014, 11:47 AM
Its hard for me to line my texture because my haircut doesn't work with it.
Also when left natural my hair tends to be flat at roots and poofs out more towards ends. Of course I have the frizz that accompanies since with my layers curls and waves don't clump properly.

I am hoping I will come to accept my texture by finding the right cut, the right products and the right weather (ha)
I know how you feel as I am working on it myself. I think as out hair gets longer and healthier it will come to sort itself out. I am very hopeful :)

I think you hair is gorgeous by the way. I saw your videos on YouTube and think your hair is wonderful.

lapushka
April 10th, 2014, 11:50 AM
To all the curlies (or even straighties) out there...How did you come to accept (or even love) your hair texture? I'm really tired of going back and forth and I really just want to have pretty hair :/

Well there's no doing things half. You either go curly girl and mean it, or you don't bother. That's what I think, anyway. Still, it can take a long time before discovering your actual "great" curly girl routine. It takes practice!

I'm on modified CG. Basically I'm still on the harsh sulfates due to a scalp condition (seborrheic dermatitis or SD), but we condition twice after washing (WCC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314)) to counteract that - and hey presto, it works! Then we follow with the LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) for styling and it's awesome. My waves are bouncy and well moisturized and well formed.

When I discovered CG a whole new world opened itself up to me, and I just never looked back, to tell you the truth!

jeanniet
April 10th, 2014, 11:55 AM
I didn't realize I had as much curl as I do until fairly recently, but I always knew I was wavy. While I didn't always like having thick, wavy hair, I've pretty much always accepted it because I was never really willing to do anything to straighten it. I do wonder what I was thinking when I got those perms, lol. But I've never flat ironed or anything. I think I have better control over things doing curly girl now.

ExpectoPatronum
April 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM
Its hard for me to line my texture because my haircut doesn't work with it.
Also when left natural my hair tends to be flat at roots and poofs out more towards ends. Of course I have the frizz that accompanies since with my layers curls and waves don't clump properly.

I am hoping I will come to accept my texture by finding the right cut, the right products and the right weather (ha)
I know how you feel as I am working on it myself. I think as out hair gets longer and healthier it will come to sort itself out. I am very hopeful :)

I think you hair is gorgeous by the way. I saw your videos on YouTube and think your hair is wonderful.

Thank you ErinLeigh :) I know what you mean about finding the right cut...I saw your thread about your new hair stylist and I'm so glad you found someone that listens to your needs and is actually helping you towards your goal. Your hair is looking really nice now! Your also always looks so soft and silky!

Well there's no doing things half. You either go curly girl and mean it, or you don't bother. That's what I think, anyway. Still, it can take a long time before discovering your actual "great" curly girl routine. It takes practice!

I'm on modified CG. Basically I'm still on the harsh sulfates due to a scalp condition (seborrheic dermatitis or SD), but we condition twice after washing (WCC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314)) to counteract that - and hey presto, it works! Then we follow with the LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) for styling and it's awesome. My waves are bouncy and well moisturized and well formed.

When I discovered CG a whole new world opened itself up to me, and I just never looked back, to tell you the truth!

I did the CG thing for a while and that's actually how I discovered just how darn curly my hair was! I always thought it was just frizzy wavy (2a/2b range) but following the CG method showed me that I have lots of ringlets. I'm kind of doing the same thing you are...I follow a modified version. I use SLS free shampoo that's super moisturizing (Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo <3) and condition. Also, the LOC method has changed my life! Except for me, it's more the LOG method since I need a gel/haven't found a cream that does what I want it to. Applying products to sopping wet hair and sticking to finger detangling are new techniques for me that have also been really helping my hair look nice.

arielágua
April 10th, 2014, 12:05 PM
"You should flat iron your hair, you look so nice with straight hair" and "You need to tame the beast that's on your head." I think these kinds of comments have made it hard for me to like my curly hair, so every time I get on the curly hair bandwagon, I fall off a month or two later."

Everyone will always have an opinion, you shouldn't take it too personal. It's just what they think. But if you truly want your wavy/curly hair, these comments shouldn't really affect you or matter, because what you want (having curly hair) is what makes you happy, right? And happiness above everything! :) Just ignore them!
I don't understand the "curly hair" hate really. Everyone I know always supports wavy and curly hair. Even many of my straight haired friends always say they'd wish they had waves or curls. Maybe is something common in my country and it changes from culture to culture. :(

I have 2a/2b waves so I can't really relate to you because you said you are 3a, but I try to embrace my waves a lot and they "give" me a lot of personality, I think. They are unique, because some are frizzy others are shinier and all different but all special. :)
I'm also a Lion star sign, so I guess I was always meant to be untamed! Ahahah, long live the frizzes!
I know this is going to sound repetitive, but just embrace your waves, let them be. Sometimes I think, the more products and things I do to my hair, the worse the waves look. Just let them be free, and if you are healthy overall, it will show on your hair. :)
Hope my words give you some comfort :flowers:

ositarosita
April 10th, 2014, 12:18 PM
I have 3a hair and I always thought my hair was 1c but frizzy. After the past couple of months I have come to embrace my big hair . My DH has as well as he says that I now look more like myself like a lion. So I NAMED my big, huge monster of a head of hair, I named it Kraken so I can "Release the Kraken". I have to admit that naming my hair and taking the time to get to know it has allowed me to embrace my new image. Curls are not a hairstyle they're a lifestyle :)

HAVE FUN with your hair and remember.. anybody can flat iron, blow dry, heat style their hair and when they do it all looks the same. However there's no such thing as two identical heads curly hair. Embrace your uniqueness.. and you know what they say about big hair right???? Big personality big hair (not meant to offend anyone)

The best way to combat frizz is to moisturize your hair. Frizz is just hair trying to grab the moisture from the air. (To help get all the moisture my hair needs, I have been styling it with a conditioner so that it's balanced and slowly I am using less and less conditioner)

Wosie
April 10th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I surely don't have curly hair, but it's borderline wavy. It looks different from wash to wash and sometimes I have a frizzy, wavy cloud around my head... It kinda brings you down, doesn't it? I guess it's just that I disrupt the waves' natural patterns when I comb it, and it is really hard to avoid the combing as I'm a tad... addicted to it (the combing).

I don't know if I've accepted my natural hair type, but I'm learning to cooperate with it. My hair is getting longer, so I can make braids and stuff now, to keep the fluffy cloud contained. ^_^ Always something. I also know that my hair type will get much more easier to control with length (the cloud will always be there, though I guess... more or less; it comes with the territory of having waves).
I never knew how to work with my hair, as it's borderline wavy, and thus I don't know if the CG + LOC method would work well on my hair. I guess I could always try. I can't do CO, though, but I can follow the other steps.

I fully understand it can be hard to be around relatives who all flat iron their own waves and think that everybody else should do the same, but flat ironing will just make the hair a whole lot frizzier if you get used to it, I tell you. Also, your hair looks way lovelier than you seem to think. :flower:

jesis
April 10th, 2014, 12:28 PM
As a fellow 2c/3a, I am going to tell you I successfully grew my hair out from collar bone length to past waist. I still flat iron it once every month or two. I get regular trims. My hair has seen bleach several times. It grows slower than anyone else's hair that I know. You can do it. I didn't go all the way with my curly hair, but after almost 4 years of dealing with it, I've come to realize that I don't have to wear it curly all of the time.

If you're having a lot of trouble with frizz, try clarifying your hair. I use Deva Curl Light Gel while my hair is dripping wet after applying a bit of coconut oil. I haven't had trouble with frizz since I started this routine.

LMB
April 10th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I'm not quite as curly as you, but I am also trying to embrace my natural texture, when I can. It's all about finding the balance.

I don't do full CG as I wash my hair each morning and most mornings I prefer to stay in bed an extra half hour than to get up and let my hair dry naturally before I leave the house.
I am trying to just put it up and out of the way (blow dryer on coldest setting to about 80% dry then put it up) on days that I have to work, and then try and maximise my waves at the weekend by using CG methods when I have time to let it dry naturally.
My hair is fine so I am more at the 'stringy' waves stage at the moment, but I am hoping that once I find the perfect routine then I will fully embrace my waves!

maliaraQs
April 10th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I've been back on the natural hair bandwagon for a couple weeks now and really don't want to get to the point where I fall off again. I do still have a lot of "bad" hair days because I haven't quite mastered the second day hair thing yet, but my hair looks much shinier and isn't so frizzy.

I'm jumping on that bandwagon with you, but only so far as no longer dyeing it and wearing it curly more often. I'm a 2c, though looks more like 2b by the third post-wash day.

Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves is my favorite hair product right now. A quarter size mixed well in my palms, then worked from the tips up helps with the frizz and defines my curls better. I also spritz it with water on my no-wash days to help revive the curl. I wear headscarves outside if it is raining (even a drizzle, which happens most of the time here in rainy Seattle).

If you are not already, sleep on a silk pillowcase (or sleeping cap), only brush when wet using a wide toothed comb and lots of conditioner. Drink lots of water.

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I used to HATE my texture. It was always so straight and flat growing up! My best friend had the thickest curliest hair that she brushed out for the longest time and I thought her afro that went to her bum was just the pretest thing! there was so much body and she could grow it so long without people telling her it looked to stringy. Well, come to find out SHE was always jealous of my hair because it was always very shiny, smooth and very soft like silk, and I could get a short hair cut without looking like a Muppet.

We're still friends (roommates now actually!) and we still play with each others hair. I'm always admiring her curls and she's admiring my gloss and silkiness. Generally I think people will always think that something else looks better than what they have. I know I do it! Learn to work with your hair and I'm sure soon enough you'll like it :)

Aderyn
April 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
I second the rare detangling, making sure your hair is soaked in conditioner, especially if you want to reduce frizziness and/or wear your hair down. Putting your hair in a braid and/or bun at night, with a satin or silk pillowcase will also help with frizziness. Stretching washes also allows the naturals oil from your scalp to tame the frizz as well. If you do want to do a bit of styling in the morning, make sure your hands are covered with a bit of coconut oil as taking apart a braid without oil can definitely lead to more frizziness.

I have pretty wavy/curly hair as well (2c, maybe 2c/3a), and that's what I do if I want to reduce frizz.

I'm not such a stickler on frizz, though. Being fine haired, with wavy/curly hair, in northwestern washington.. some frizz is pretty much a part of life. Even in my pre-LHC days it never bothered me too much. I comb/brush my hair almost everyday, but I immediately put it in a braid and/or updo.

Kimberly
April 10th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I did the blowdry straight and followed with curling iron thing when I was young, because my mother made me do it. I wished I still had the curls I remembered from when I was very small, and believed my hair texture had changed. After I left home and wasn't forced to blowdry, I discovered it hadn't. I tried Curly Girl and didn't like the results on me, and I kinda feel that if I have to go through a complex procedure and load up my hair with products that it isn't my natural hair and what I am seeing isn't my natural hair type. But I'm kind of obsessive about authenticity and plainness.

These days, I use a shampoo bar, ACV, and a little Panacea on ends and canopy while wet for frizz control, and that is it. It's not as curly as possible, or as straight as possible. It just is what it is. I even use a comb and brush, but I have never run into another curly who says their curls re-form themselves after that without wetting, so that might just be a secret hair superpower, I don't know. I just do my thing, my hair does its thing, it looks good enough most days and occasionally epic, and gets the hat treatment if it's looking like heck, and that's that. I guess that's acceptance? :-)

cherrybird
April 10th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I love my curls now, but its been a journey. When I was younger I hated that my hair was different from all my friends, who had straight or wavy hair, so I used a crappy metal flat iron that made me look like a thatched cottage. I was jealous that their hair was so smooth and shiny seemingly without any effort. It wasn't any special event that made me stop using the flat iron, I realized slowly that if I let my hair curl it looked marginally better than when straight.

Now I like that my hair is different. I like that it can look wild and big and uncontrolled. I like that it makes most updos I attempt look at least a little messy. I'm actually a little sad that my hair relaxed when I used henna, and when it's cold and dry outside. I feel like I'm part of a club sometimes :p

What really worked for me is finding the right way to style my curls, and the right product to use. I can't really make it do whatever I want, but I can treat my hair well and have it be the best version of itself. I CWC with a sulfate free shampoo and no cones, put a bit of curlkeeper on, then a styling gel, and plop my hair for about half an hour. I'm starting to dry with a diffuser every once in awhile, and I do straighten when I feel like a change (last time was Christmas).

lapushka
April 10th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I love my curls now, but its been a journey. When I was younger I hated that my hair was different from all my friends, who had straight or wavy hair, so I used a crappy metal flat iron that made me look like a thatched cottage. I was jealous that their hair was so smooth and shiny seemingly without any effort. It wasn't any special event that made me stop using the flat iron, I realized slowly that if I let my hair curl it looked marginally better than when straight.

I remember my teen years perfectly. My hair was always crimped because I couldn't stand the frizzy fuzzy state it got in when there was a little moisture in the air. I just thought I had difficult straight hair. I mean... there was only straight and curly, nothing in between. Which also explains the perms I got during those years.

I had to be in my late thirties for it to sink in that I have wavy hair!

Beborani
April 10th, 2014, 04:35 PM
2c/3a here and I am glad to have learnt to wear it curly--happened due to a percepetive hairstylist way back in 2003 or 4 so I can never complain about them. Over a period of time I have learnt to tweak it and figured out a couple of different regimens depending on whether I want to wear it curly or wavy or just encased in a braid or bun. Curly girl method is a good starting point but I dont follow it to a T. I use silicone serum, dont worry about water insoluble ones, wash with conditioner only, never clarify, oil with different oils as and when I feel the need and generally feel confident wearing my hair. I didnt feel this confidence when younger as I knew only two methods--oiled hair or productless hair--both of which did not give me the desired effect.

ExpectoPatronum
April 10th, 2014, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the tips guys. And I really liked reading other peoples experiences with growing to like their hair. It's really nice to know I'm not the only one and that it seems like a lot of people found a routine that worked after a while. I'm slowly getting there. I've pretty much found my holy grail shampoo and conditioner. I'm still working out a good go-to styling routine. Today I just used a leave-in and styling milk to see if I can get fluffy soft curls (my favorite!) instead of really defined ones. Defined curls are nice, but I love the look of big fluffy sassy hair. I do like the beast that grows from my head and I think I'm going to name it like another user.

My friends and roommates like my hair natural. I don't know why the comments from my family bother me. But you guys are right...I should stop taking them so personally. If big curly hair makes me happy, then so be it. :)

Weewah
April 10th, 2014, 05:55 PM
I'm like you and just thought I had unmanageable poofy straight hair, I was straight haired as a kid, so when puberty hit I didn't know what to do and just turned to flat ironing. My mom's hair is stick straight and my dad's is curly but cuts it really short, so neither of them helped me with my hair.

What really got me to commit to wearing my natural texture is I went to work one day not giving a crap about my natural lion's mane, and I got some complimentary comments. It made me realize no one really notices if it isn't perfect, and it motivated me to keep working on making my natural hair look better. It's been a month and a half now, and I'm still working on finding a routine, but I am definitely seeing an improvement.

I highly recommend watching waterlily716 and shalimarcat on youtube! They have 3a curly hair and watching them in action has helped me a lot.

MandyBeth
April 10th, 2014, 09:46 PM
My younger daughter LOVES her curls - part all things girly princess hair, heavy part of River Song is awesome.

My own hair - I do get spirals starting. I don't dislike them, but my hair is so fine, I can easily dry brush to 1B/C range. I do flat iron my bangs so they look right, but that's from shape vs wave.

arielágua
April 21st, 2014, 08:55 AM
"My friends and roommates like my hair natural. I don't know why the comments from my family bother me. But you guys are right...I should stop taking them so personally. If big curly hair makes me happy, then so be it."

That's the spirit! You go girl! ^^

chen bao jun
April 21st, 2014, 10:34 AM
I wouldn't change my curly hair for straight hair for all the money in the world. Yes, it can be a challenge but curly hair is wonderful.

Aingeal
April 21st, 2014, 07:52 PM
I have 3a hair and I always thought my hair was 1c but frizzy. After the past couple of months I have come to embrace my big hair . My DH has as well as he says that I now look more like myself like a lion. So I NAMED my big, huge monster of a head of hair, I named it Kraken so I can "Release the Kraken". I have to admit that naming my hair and taking the time to get to know it has allowed me to embrace my new image. Curls are not a hairstyle they're a lifestyle :)

HAVE FUN with your hair and remember.. anybody can flat iron, blow dry, heat style their hair and when they do it all looks the same. However there's no such thing as two identical heads curly hair. Embrace your uniqueness.. and you know what they say about big hair right???? Big personality big hair (not meant to offend anyone)

The best way to combat frizz is to moisturize your hair. Frizz is just hair trying to grab the moisture from the air. (To help get all the moisture my hair needs, I have been styling it with a conditioner so that it's balanced and slowly I am using less and less conditioner)

LOVE IT!!!!

I wouldn't change my curly hair for straight hair for all the money in the world. Yes, it can be a challenge but curly hair is wonderful.

Yes! This totally!

It look me until I was 33 to accept it. I used to brush the curls out when I was smaller. My hair looked like a wavy, frizzy mess! Then as a teen , I ironed my hair on the ironing board. LOL I began dying and flat ironing in my early twenties and never looked back. Now I love my curls!!!

Jumper
April 21st, 2014, 08:15 PM
I loooove my wavy/wurly hair. I couldn't imagine trying to straighten it or anything every day.

Taking care of it is definitely different though. Some days you just have to live with some frizz and learn to love it.

wildtohold
April 21st, 2014, 08:46 PM
I struggle with my curly hair a lot. When it's straightened, it's down to my collarbone. When it curls, it's at the top of my shoulders. And that means my styling options are so limited -- I can basically only put it back in a claw clip with a few other little clips/pins to hold back the growing-out (ill-advised) bangs. So I have to wear it down. And wearing it down feels so vulnerable. But I have really "Jewish" hair -- the classic Jew'fro -- and people love to touch it. All the time. People will come up behind me in the shops and pet my hair without my permission. I know I'm short and round and hobbit-sized generally, but I'm not in a petting zoo! So I put it back in ballet buns wet and try not to think about it too much, because other people act really territorial about my hair!

My fiancé really loves the curls, and my mother fusses at me all the time that I should wear it curly more (but half-back, because she's obsessed with my hair not being in my face, a holdover from teenage days, I think!). I bought a co-wash conditioner today, so I'm trying to embrace the texture, but it's hard! I keep trying to do things like the LOC method and all, which gives me great curls, but hair anxiety tends to win and the ballet buns come back. Maybe this time, I'll manage.

CurlyCap
April 21st, 2014, 11:32 PM
I struggle with my curly hair a lot. When it's straightened, it's down to my collarbone. When it curls, it's at the top of my shoulders. And that means my styling options are so limited -- I can basically only put it back in a claw clip with a few other little clips/pins to hold back the growing-out (ill-advised) bangs. So I have to wear it down. And wearing it down feels so vulnerable. But I have really "Jewish" hair -- the classic Jew'fro -- and people love to touch it. All the time. People will come up behind me in the shops and pet my hair without my permission. I know I'm short and round and hobbit-sized generally, but I'm not in a petting zoo! So I put it back in ballet buns wet and try not to think about it too much, because other people act really territorial about my hair!

My fiancé really loves the curls, and my mother fusses at me all the time that I should wear it curly more (but half-back, because she's obsessed with my hair not being in my face, a holdover from teenage days, I think!). I bought a co-wash conditioner today, so I'm trying to embrace the texture, but it's hard! I keep trying to do things like the LOC method and all, which gives me great curls, but hair anxiety tends to win and the ballet buns come back. Maybe this time, I'll manage.

When people touch your hair without permission, YOU WACK THEM. If people want to touch curly hair, they can buy a doll or get a perm. It's not your problem!

I LOVE Jewish curls. There are a couple of guys around here with them and I just think about how pretty it would be longer....and then realize that's creepy because I don't even know their names! :p But really, it's rare and it's gorgeous and you've got it. Flaunt it.

Let us know how the co-washing works out. Also come play in the Type 3 thread. Lots of discussions about people taming the The Curl Beast. We are dragon slayers. We will teach you.

CurlyCap
April 21st, 2014, 11:37 PM
I've always loved my hair, but was eternally frustrated because I never knew how to show it off. It was like inheriting a Stradivarius and realizing you couldn't play violin.

Now that I have a better grip on what my hair needs, it can still be frustrating to hit road bumps. But some time in the next year, my hair will be longer than it's every been in my adult life....and that is very cool.

What I love most is that I have hair that most people only see in cartoons or in weaves. It's long. It's curly. It's horizontal as well as vertical. I can stick absolutely any hair piece in it and it doesn't look silly because nothing is a "bigger" statement than the hair. It really is remarkable....when I take a minute to stop cursing about the detangling.

Rosa Harris
April 21st, 2014, 11:39 PM
I started a similar thread as well but focusing more on my family hating on my hair - especially my kinky headed mom. I think its the family or close people that cant touch us the most because we are so open to them - I always find that the closer I am - the more anything hurts. I can tell strangers where to go and it does not even phase me.

I'm just starting to realize my hair isn't just a frizz ball but actually wavy/curly. I know what you mean by not being allowed in by the curlies or the straities in the family. And since the curlies wanted to be the straities and the straities the curlies it was like no one wanted to be me! So I felt like the ugly duckling.

Just seeing it as wavy curly is a challenge for me at the moment. I showed it to my son last night after trying the CG method the first time and he looked at it and said 'its just messy' - he has natural hip length ringlets that just pop up no matter what - and he hates them - I love them. he says he would love to trade! He only keeps it that log so the wight of the hair will keep it from being a huge fluff ball. He says he would love to have my strait hair. He can't see mine as wavy at all! It's just not waves or curls to him.

That kinda makes it weird and hard.

On the other hand I did catch people looking tonight at walmart - lol.

Symphony
April 22nd, 2014, 12:31 AM
I looooove my curly hair, but it took a while to learn to love it. When I was a kid, I had mostly straight hair with a light wave and curl here and there. Then puberty happened, and my hair became a literal puff ball. I was so sad that I couldn't have silky hair like my friends. I would brush it a million times, and I kept washing it over and over thinking it was dirty. Siblings would tease me. Boys avoided me. I transitioned to curly when I was about 15... and am just now mastering it by age 25-26, thanks to discovering my holy grail products/routine. Now I love it. It's wild, yet feminine, Venus mixed with lion. Even though I know my hair is awesome now, I still get snide comments from my mother. One example was when I noticed my niece had little curls on her head, and I said "Oh, I wonder if she is going to have curly hair like me", and my mom said "God I hope not." Um, ouch!! But I get so many compliments on my hair, people telling me they wish they had my hair. When I was at Coachella this weekend, a man came up to me and said "Your hair is SOOOOO beautiful! Is it naturally like that?" and then later on, while dancing to some music, I kept a little tug on one of my curls on the back of my head, and I whipped my head around and saw this gorgeous man who also had little ringlets himself. We gave each other like a knowingly curly pride smile.

The ONLY thing I dislike about my hair is that it takes FOREVER for it's true length to show. Damn shrinkage!! But we are gettin' there, slowly but surely!

HazelBug
April 22nd, 2014, 12:52 AM
Well, I've always had very straight hair. My mom always got her hair permed into tight ringlets. She spent way too much time curling my hair as a child, occasionally burninsg me with a curling iron. I often slept wit rollers in, the whole 9 yards. For curls that would last me 3 hours.

It was rough coming to terms with my hair that was only ever straight. I thought it looked boring and ugly for the longest time. But as a young adult I finally came to terms with my straight hair. I learned the positives to my hair type. I will not likely ever have curls or even waves. But I feel like me now embracing the hair type I have. I think it's a learning curve for most people to come to love thier natural hair type.

Rosa Harris
April 22nd, 2014, 01:58 AM
Well, I've always had very straight hair. My mom always got her hair permed into tight ringlets. She spent way too much time curling my hair as a child, occasionally burninsg me with a curling iron. I often slept wit rollers in, the whole 9 yards. For curls that would last me 3 hours.

It was rough coming to terms with my hair that was only ever straight. I thought it looked boring and ugly for the longest time. But as a young adult I finally came to terms with my straight hair. I learned the positives to my hair type. I will not likely ever have curls or even waves. But I feel like me now embracing the hair type I have. I think it's a learning curve for most people to come to love thier natural hair type.

Love your hair. It's not boring at all. It's a shame the msgs that we get sent as kids.

Marron
April 22nd, 2014, 04:26 AM
This is a thread for me.
I tried so many times accepting my hair structure (3a) but failed every time.
It gives me a laugh when people say that they wish they had my curls. I don't think they do, I think by "curls" they mean the "perfect curls" you can see on tv. Those curling iron curls. Mine are always frizzy except for when I use tons of styling mousse. In this case my curls look nice (though still too tight for my taste) but feel hard and stiff.
I've been using my flat iron for nearly 10 years now.
The only thing I like about my hair is that it is rather thick (though not very much) and hence relatively resilliant.
I've been experiencing split ends and breakage lately with midback hair. My hair has not only been flat ironed but also bleached and dyed. So I hope my hair is able to endure the flat ironing until I reach my desired length because I stopped dying and bleaching it. So the sources of damage have been cut from 3 to 1.

carrielynn
April 22nd, 2014, 05:31 AM
Curly girl method is a good starting point but I dont follow it to a T.
Me too. I discovered naturallycurly.com about three years ago and it's been one giant experiment ever since. I tried the entire co-washing, no silicones, no sulfates thing, and parts of it worked for me but parts didn't.

I hated my wavy hair in high school, I didn't know a single other person whose hair looked like mine. I always tried to blow dry it straight (which didn't work) and was so jealous of my straight-haired friends. Then in college I met a gal who introduced me to gel, and another who introduced me to a flat iron... and I discovered I could become extra-curly OR extra-straight. Suddenly everyone was jealous of me.

Now I'm working to truly embrace my waves for every-day-hair. And of course the growing-out journey is making styling totally different than even six months ago. My mom obviously has some wave, her shoulder-length, blow-dried hair always looks frizzy. I don't get any comments from her one way or the other, so I feel ok doing my own thing.

I've pretty much found my holy grail shampoo and conditioner. I'm still working out a good go-to styling routine.
Me too. I'm getting closer though. One of the best things I did was have a hair analysis done (I chose Goosefootprints on Etsy), so I have a little better of an idea of what ingredients to look for. Sweet Curls Elixirs on Etsy has some very customizable flax gels and curl creams that I've most recently been experimenting with.

But overall I'm taking any advice about products and techniques I read with a grain of salt. I'll try anything, and if it doesn't work for me, I move on. I don't worry about "it worked great for them, why doesn't it work for me?!?". I do always try for second and third day hair, but if I'm not liking it, I always have a hairstick or flexi at the ready.

spidermom
April 22nd, 2014, 06:31 AM
When I joined LHC, I went through the same thing. I'd been blow-drying and occasionally flat-ironing to get that smooth, straight look, which I loved but was destroying my hair. My scalp didn't respond well to CO, but I found a routine that brought out my wave and a few 3A spirals. I learned to LOVE it. Now I'm having to learn to accept straighter hair. It's like I shed out most of my curly hairs or something.

BonnieU
April 22nd, 2014, 06:38 AM
For me, 2c/3a acceptance came with getting my hair healthy again, throwing my brushes and hot impliments away, giving up sulfate and silicone thereby revealing my true curl pattern. No matter what I was born with (happens to be straight, lol) this is is what I have now and I will embrace it and care for it which eventually made meblove it. My methods aren't for everyone, and I would never judge anyone else, but I love and support all curlies ;-)

lapushka
April 22nd, 2014, 06:47 AM
Me too. I discovered naturallycurly.com about three years ago and it's been one giant experiment ever since. I tried the entire co-washing, no silicones, no sulfates thing, and parts of it worked for me but parts didn't.

I hated my wavy hair in high school, I didn't know a single other person whose hair looked like mine. I always tried to blow dry it straight (which didn't work) and was so jealous of my straight-haired friends. Then in college I met a gal who introduced me to gel, and another who introduced me to a flat iron... and I discovered I could become extra-curly OR extra-straight. Suddenly everyone was jealous of me.

I experimented at the very start as well. Going sl(e)s-free, going silicone-free, trying CO. None of it worked for me. So now I'm modified CG with a WCC routine (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314) followed by the LOC method (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167).

I always thought I had difficult straight hair in high school. Blowdried it straight all the time as well but the tiniest bit of moisture (mist at early hours) blew my hair up into a frizz ball. So then I started crimping. Crimping was the only thing that worked, and when my hair blew up, it wasn't even noticeable. :lol: It took me until my late thirties to know what this texture was and to truly accept it! I'm over 40 now.