PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil over cones?

Leeloo
April 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Hello! I hope everyone is having a great day. :waving:

I'm changing around my hair care routine and I would love to use a leave-in with UV protection that has silicone in it, but I also like to put coconut oil in my hair a day or so before wash.
So I'm wondering if coconut oil can penetrate hair shaft that is covered in silicone products? Or is it just going to sit on top? :eye:

I've been trying to find a scientific explanation and I was hoping that someone here on LHC can help me out.

CremeTron
April 27th, 2014, 02:41 PM
I am not sure but I sometimes apply coconut oil just to my ends on the day after a CO wash (with cones) and it appears to penetrate.

I don't seem to have a problem with build-up though. My products absorb very well into my porous hair and when rinsing with warm water before applying shampoo my hair starts feel very clean before I add anything.

Also I believe coconut oil molecules very small also and so they penetrate the hair shaft very well in any case.

meteor
April 27th, 2014, 03:03 PM
I'm pretty sure oil penetrates through cones and other oils. And even if they didn't, they would still work in practice, because it's virtually impossible to completely coat each strand with cones and then oil, there will be areas covered with just cones, others covered with just oils and most of your hair will be untouched.

ErinLeigh
April 27th, 2014, 04:31 PM
From my personal experience, coconut oil does not penetrate over my cones. It just sits there. It goes over other oils fine, but on my hair it cannot get thru the cones. If I want to use both I have to apply the coconut oil first. This is actually the reason I gave up cones. Coconut oil ended up being more important to me. I have read so much about this subject and still never got an answer. Some say it can, some swear it cannot. It drives me bonkers not knowing so in the end I decided to go going off my results.

You will probably have to test and see how you hair reacts.

meteor
April 27th, 2014, 04:50 PM
Hm, I guess there is no way of knowing without a scientific experiment. It would be great if somebody with a microscope could test it out on a few hair strands. :)

PrincessIdril
April 27th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Coconut oil and cones works alright on my hair. I suspect this is a YMMV thing and all you can do is try it out and see what happens for you.