PDA

View Full Version : 4 years at LHC

gossamer
April 9th, 2014, 09:28 PM
The biggest news I have is that my hair's still growing!
(hair is a bit damp in pic, but yes, some of that gradient is there even when dry)

https://i.imgur.com/SN6XVWZl.jpg?1

When I posted on my 3 years at LHC a year ago, (click here for link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=111748)), I had no idea if I'd hit terminal soon or not.

So far, it seems like I haven't. While my hair at ankle is certainly annoying in ways it wasn't back at knee, it's also pretty darn awesome too. ;)

If I hit floor before I hit terminal, I'm trimming it back to knee or maybe fingertip length. We'll see if I'm there by this time next year or not!

FallingDarkness
April 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM
....Your hair is stunning.

LongHairLesbian
April 9th, 2014, 09:32 PM
Omg your hair is absolutely amazing! Congratulations on making it that far, and for 4 years on LHC. :) Would you mind sharing your hair care routine? I'm curious about how a champion grower does it. :P

Larki
April 9th, 2014, 09:33 PM
Oh my gosh, gorgeous! Is the color gradient from the sun, or have the ends been colored?

Aingeal
April 9th, 2014, 09:35 PM
Gorgeous, thud worthy hair!

gossamer
April 9th, 2014, 09:38 PM
Oh my gosh, gorgeous! Is the color gradient from the sun, or have the ends been colored?

The ends have never been colored. Part of the color gradient is due my hair being a little damp from last night's wash. The ends dry faster than the thicker hair above. But there's also a pretty real difference in color even when dry. I think 10-15 years ago, when those ends were growing, I wasn't as dark haired as I am now.

gossamer
April 9th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Omg your hair is absolutely amazing! Congratulations on making it that far, and for 4 years on LHC. :) Would you mind sharing your hair care routine? I'm curious about how a champion grower does it. :P

99% of the time, my hair's up in a bun. Sometimes I'll wear it down in a braid.
I wash every 5-7 days, depending on how busy I am. For the past year, I've just been using diluted shampoo on my scalp. I prefer non-cone conditioners because it encourages my latent waves, but coney conditioners aren't bad if they're all that's available. My hair hates protein, however, so I avoid conditioners with that.

I'll usually (but not in the above pic) use a little argan oil or sweet almond oil on the ends after I wash them.

Lately, to help with scalp issues during the winter, I've been using a leave in rinse of black tea. It really seems to help me! It's probably depositing a little color, but that doesn't bother me.

hypersensitive
April 9th, 2014, 09:49 PM
Lovely to see an updated pic, gossamer!

Violet Raine
April 9th, 2014, 10:28 PM
Your hair is absolutely lovely ! :)

divinedobbie
April 9th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Wow, that's some impressive hair!

Misty'sMess
April 9th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Congratulations: that's amazing!!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Gossamer, your hair is amazing! How long did it take you to get to that length?

lunalocks
April 9th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Gossamer, absolutely stunning!

freesia
April 10th, 2014, 04:28 AM
absolutely gorgeous :thud:

Lucky_Lucy
April 10th, 2014, 04:30 AM
Congratulations!! Your hair is truly stunning! you are such an inspiration for all of us!!

hafattack
April 10th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Wow, amazing. Even if you're plamning to cut, it would be interesting to see your terminal, may be way past floor length!

duchess67
April 10th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Wow! absolutely amazing!

Anabell
April 10th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Your hair is stunning. Congratulations ans thank you for the inspiration. I hope my hair will be that thick some day. Your picture when you just join to LHC is my goal in terms of ends thickness.

LadyLongLocks
April 10th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Thanks for sharing your current length photo, it looks great!
I agree hair can be annoying at ankle but it's more annoying at floor and beyond.
Stepping on it isn't fun! I am about 3" past floor but not growing longer.
Like you, I will be trimming and eventually going to a more manageable length.
I also wear my hair up all the time, like you :)

gossamer
April 10th, 2014, 07:34 AM
Gossamer, your hair is amazing! How long did it take you to get to that length?
It's really hard to say unless I started from bald, isn't it? So here's the long story:

When I was 13, it was APL. For the next 8 years, I had a lovely hairdresser who was pretty trim happy when I went to see her twice a year, but it did get to classic by the time I was 21. A not-so-pretty classic because I was super busy and didn't care too well for it, and had a top-bunk bed in college right next to the heater vent. Fried! My trim happy hairdresser took me back to tailbone. I hit classic again when I was 23. By this time, my SO was trimming it for me instead. Knee when I was 27, and then ankle this past year at 29.

Does that mean it's taken 16+ years to get this long?

Wow, amazing. Even if you're plamning to cut, it would be interesting to see your terminal, may be way past floor length!
Oh, but only if someone comes over every day and manages it for me! :p Lately it's getting heavy enough that my usual updos pull painfully at my hairline, so I've had to develop a new hairstyle. Except instead of taking 30 seconds like a nautilus bun, it takes 5-10 minutes if my hair's not cooperating. So annoying!

gossamer
April 10th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks for sharing your current length photo, it looks great!
I agree hair can be annoying at ankle but it's more annoying at floor and beyond.
Stepping on it isn't fun! I am about 3" past floor but not growing longer.
Like you, I will be trimming and eventually going to a more manageable length.
I also wear my hair up all the time, like you :)

I admit, I've been wondering if you'd gone through with your trim yet. I step on it enough when it's down and drying, I can't imagine having it down past floor length when I'm standing straight...

lapushka
April 10th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Amazing thing for hanging in there. Ankle length is something I can only dream about (would be a little high maintenance). You've got some amazing hair there! :)

ErinLeigh
April 10th, 2014, 08:08 AM
I think it is really nice of you to post updates and share your story.
Thank you. Your hair is so unique and graceful. :)

IGIT
April 10th, 2014, 08:45 AM
gossamer are you real? You look like a dream to me:agape:

gossamer
April 10th, 2014, 08:54 AM
gossamer are you real? You look like a dream to me:agape:

*pinches self* Yes, I think I'm real...

Leeloo
April 10th, 2014, 09:06 AM
Congratulations! Your hair is amazing!

Ocelan
April 10th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Absolutely beautiful hair Gossamer! You are my hair hero (is that a hairo?)! :disco:

Marika
April 10th, 2014, 09:30 AM
Congratulations, your hair is stunning! :inlove: Looking at your hemline, I'd guess you're not going to hit terminal anytime soon! :thumbsup:

Roscata
April 10th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Congrats on the length gain gossamer! Your hair looks beautiful. :)

swearnsue
April 10th, 2014, 12:33 PM
When your hair gets any longer you will need to wear high heels to keep it off the floor!

Beautiful hair. OMG.

SleepyTangles
April 10th, 2014, 01:04 PM
Speechless, as always :thud:
I actually remeber being a naive little lurker and see a lenght shot of your hair. Epic.

arielįgua
April 10th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Fantastic! :magic:
It's beautiful!

Quasiquixotic
April 10th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I love it! I love your length! Color! Everything. Beautiful :)

Madora
April 10th, 2014, 02:20 PM
"Pretty darn awesome" is RIGHT, Gossamer! Holy cow!!! Where do you get the patience?!! Fantastic, just fantastic!

Nadine <3
April 10th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Holy crap...Wow. I can't form anything more coherent than that! LOL Very beautiful hair!

Beatnik Guy
April 10th, 2014, 04:43 PM
*pinches self* Yes, I think I'm real...
I can confirm you are real. :wigtongue
You've certainly gained more pretty darn awesome length since I met you in Taipei in Nov 2012. :D

Synnovea
April 10th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Absolutely stunning!

woodswanderer
April 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Wowee! That's amazing!

darklyndsea
April 10th, 2014, 05:02 PM
:thud: Your hair's so gorgeous.

What extra annoyances/challenges do you have at ankle length vs. shorter lengths?

jeanniet
April 10th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Beautiful as always, gossamer. Congratulations on your anniversary, and keep posting those pictures!

irishlady
April 10th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Very beautiful hair!! :thudpile:

momschicklets
April 10th, 2014, 05:20 PM
What ethereal beauty! :blossom::blossom::blossom: I admire all the care, patience and passion it took to grow to that length. Happy anniversary!

Anje
April 10th, 2014, 05:50 PM
Gorgeous, amazing hair, Gossamer! I think you're going to hit floor with thick ends at this rate!

Yozhik
April 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
Your current length looks absolutely stunning on you - congrats for four years of growing on LHC (and clearly many more before then)! :flowers:

You're definitely one of my hair idols :smooch: - if only mine were as straight... :pray:

DweamGoiL
April 10th, 2014, 08:00 PM
Wow. Wow. All I can think is Wow!!!

SunlightShines
April 10th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Thank you for sharing your picture and hair care routine! Your hair looks so healthy & very beautiful! :)

Vanilla
April 10th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Amazing gossamer! Your hair is truly thudworthy! We have almost the same hair stats and your length gives me something awesome to aspire to!

Crumpet
April 10th, 2014, 10:30 PM
Gorgeous! I think your ends are better at ankle length than mine at waist+ length. Absolutely amazing hair!

gossamer
April 10th, 2014, 11:32 PM
When your hair gets any longer you will need to wear high heels to keep it off the floor
Beautiful hair. OMG.
Ooooh, there's an idea!

Speechless, as always :thud:
I actually remeber being a naive little lurker and see a lenght shot of your hair. Epic.

Awwwwww :blossom:

"Pretty darn awesome" is RIGHT, Gossamer! Holy cow!!! Where do you get the patience?!! Fantastic, just fantastic!
I think I get the patience only because I do so little with it. No complicated braides, no intricate updos with twisting. It all has to be catered to simple styles with difficult special issues.

I can confirm you are real. :wigtongue
You've certainly gained more pretty darn awesome length since I met you in Taipei in Nov 2012. :D
It's crazy, in a slow, calm way, how much length it's gained, isn't it? I never expected this much! :D :D

:thud: Your hair's so gorgeous.

What extra annoyances/challenges do you have at ankle length vs. shorter lengths?

I am copy/pasting from something I wrote up earlier. Please pardon the repeat, work has been ridiculous today.

Why I don't wear my hair down (Dec. 2013)
"I almost never wear my hair down now that it's getting close to ankle length. I actually haven't worn it down much since it got to around knee length, actually.
There are a number of reasons why, let me try to state them simply:
1) The detangling afterwards is a huge chore.
2) It gets everywhere and in the way.
3) It drags on stairs when I walk down them, thus getting dirty and damaged.
4) There are too many questions from total strangers about it. Even braided but down, acquaintances feel they can touch it without asking me.
4a) Too many people telling me I should cut it for the kids with cancer.
5) I've stopped traffic before when someone pulled over to comment on it. That's ridiculous.
6) I'm not taken seriously with it down, all people notice is my hair.

As for your question about not taking it down at night, I think it's nearly impossible to sleep without my hair contained. I'd probably strangle my SO and get all tangled in it myself. Sitting at my desk right now, since my hair touches the floor when I'm in my chair, I'm in danger of catching it under the legs of the chair if I scoot back. That's painful!!"

Additional:
I don't like the tangles beyond my arm's reach. The scissors, used on stubborn dreadlocked snarls, get used a lot more than they used to.

Stray_mind
April 10th, 2014, 11:35 PM
That is A LOT of hair!!!! In a good way of course! Congrats :blossom:

gossamer
April 10th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Your current length looks absolutely stunning on you - congrats for four years of growing on LHC (and clearly many more before then)! :flowers:

You're definitely one of my hair idols :smooch: - if only mine were as straight... :pray:

Mine's straightened out as the weight drags it down. My shed hairs show that the upper 1-1.5' of my length wants to have serious waves. The rest of my old hair begs to differ.

Gorgeous, amazing hair, Gossamer! I think you're going to hit floor with thick ends at this rate!

Yes! And then I can trim them and feel even fuller at knee!!

Amazing gossamer! Your hair is truly thudworthy! We have almost the same hair stats and your length gives me something awesome to aspire to!

Yay!!!

Gorgeous! I think your ends are better at ankle length than mine at waist+ length. Absolutely amazing hair!
Impossible! They talk/look a good game, but my ends are only ~1" in circumference!!

kme81
April 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM
:thudpile: Beautiful, as always!!!

Tota
April 11th, 2014, 12:15 AM
Definitely :thudpile: :) Wow!

Savvyhorsez
April 11th, 2014, 06:57 AM
Just Beautiful! Here's to another 4 years!

LauraLongLocks
April 11th, 2014, 07:13 AM
:thudpile:

Wow, amazing hair. I love the color and thickness of it, too. Thank you for sharing it here with us, and also for sharing your hair care routine and the realities of living with such super-length hair. When I see hair that beautiful and long it gives me hope that my 60" goal is not too far-fetched.

earthybee
April 11th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Your hair is simply lovely!

embee
April 11th, 2014, 08:16 PM
I do believe that your hair is what I would call Long Hair. :) Mine is nothing, just nothing, in comparison.

Wonderful, gossamer. It's lovely. :)

Majormiles
April 13th, 2014, 04:51 AM
Beautiful, I remember seeing your post last year. Its incredible that your hair is still growing at such a fast rate!

Beatnik Guy
April 13th, 2014, 07:07 AM
my ends are only ~1" in diameter!!
She says this as if it is bad -- an inch at ankle, when many have a taper to almost nothing at much less length. :D

embee
April 13th, 2014, 09:50 AM
Heh. My *ponytail* is less than 1 inch in diameter at the back of my head. :(

No wonder my ends look thin....

Katrine
April 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Incredible hair! Congrats :)

MissBubble
April 13th, 2014, 12:30 PM
I am speechless. It is such an inspiration! Congratulations!

Ennapic
April 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Wow! Absolutely gorgeous!

Remi
April 13th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Gossamer- you are so sweet and kind to share your photos and hair care journey with us. I think those photos are lovely. You just made my day a lot happier!

Agnes Hannah
April 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM
Well I think everyone has already said this but my God your hair is gorgeous, no wonder you stop traffic!!!! I don't think mine will ever get anywhere near as long as yours but I'm enjoying being envious right now. Please carry on growing and showing. Feed my obsessions!!!!
Congrats on your growth it really is gorgeous.

gossamer
April 13th, 2014, 01:03 PM
She says this as if it is bad -- an inch at ankle, when many have a taper to almost nothing at much less length. :D

Sigh, I need to go fix that... I meant circumference! Stupid mistake! :-(

gossamer
April 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Heh. My *ponytail* is less than 1 inch in diameter at the back of my head. :(

No wonder my ends look thin....

See above, I confused diameter and circumference when replying two nights ago. My bad!!

gossamer
April 13th, 2014, 01:05 PM
Gossamer- you are so sweet and kind to share your photos and hair care journey with us. I think those photos are lovely. You just made my day a lot happier!
Awww, you're most welcome!

Mopolop
April 13th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Woooooooooooooaaah, you hair is stunning. :agape: :agape:

ashke50
April 13th, 2014, 03:29 PM
Your hair is AMAZING! Wow. So long and thick, it almost doesn't look real. Very impressive!

longNred
April 14th, 2014, 07:55 PM
So incredibly lovely!!!!

patchoulilove
April 14th, 2014, 08:38 PM
So gorgeous! Congratulations :)

Can you please share with us your diet and any supplements you take? Do you favor certain foods?

Happy growing!
:blossom:
Patchoulilove

gossamer
April 15th, 2014, 12:00 PM
So gorgeous! Congratulations :)

Can you please share with us your diet and any supplements you take? Do you favor certain foods?

Happy growing!
:blossom:
Patchoulilove

I sporadically take a regular multivitamin and a combination calcium/vitamin D pill. I don't always remember to do so and when I totally stopped last year for a couple months, I didn't notice any change in the quality of my hair.

I'm vegetarian, and although I try to get enough protein, I'm not always certain I succeed. Lots of beans, tofu, and milk products, generally.

I definitely focus on staying hydrated (lots of water and tea all day) but since my hair isn't a plant, I'm not sure if that actually helps with anything! :)