PDA

View Full Version : Itchy scalp and dandruff after wash- need advice

Anabell
April 9th, 2014, 03:37 AM
Hello, LHC, I really need your help. I have experienced itchy scalp and dandruff after every time I wash my hair. It happens a couple of hours after wash, when my hair is completely dry. Then it feels itchy for several hours and pass away until the next wash. In between washes my scalp is fine.
I wash my scalp with SLS free shampoo once a week (and condish the length after rinse the shampoo. The conditioner does't touch the scalp).
Thing I tried:
*mix some tee tree oil into my shampoo. Massage the scalp a little with the mixture and than wash.
*dilute the shampoo to get even gentler cleaning
*switch to SLS shampoo (because maybe it is itchy because of sebum build up)
*White vinegar rinse (part of my routine anyway). 1 spoon of vinegar (15 ml) in 0.5 litter of water.
*change to different SLS free shampoo with different ingredients (because maybe it was allergic reaction)
*lightly oil my scalp per wash (assuming it is dry scalp thing).

None of the methods didn't make it worst or better.

Then I did an experiment: I wet my scalp with water. Just enough to get the hair dump. It was itchy after it get's dry. Even with nothing than water.

I have mixed skin type so maybe my scalp is the same? There some areas in my face that I have to put lotion after I wash my face, otherwise It will be all dry red and itchy after several face washes. There some other areas that don't need anything more than cleaning. I also need to mention that my hair is oily before the wash, so I don't thing pre oil the scalp will help. I also afraid to oil my scalp after wash, because that way I will get oily scalp for the whole week until the next wash (did it very lightly once though with no help).

I really don't know what to do. I'm also not sure if it is the dry type of dandruff or the oily type. I used to thing it's the oily type but now I'm not sure. I find some hair mask for oily and dry scalp in beautyklove channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMA1C2kyrFM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhlYrHn7OfA

I'm pretty run out of ideas so maybe I will try one of those with some modifications (I would put less vinegar in the second one because it looks too acid-y). But which one?

What do you thing? Any ideas would be welcome. Is there someone who experience similar problem?

Ingrid
April 9th, 2014, 03:41 AM
How often do you wash your hair? Have your tried hair-cleaning methods which don't involve washing with water?

lulana
April 9th, 2014, 03:43 AM
i would go and see a doctor to except an eczema or something like that.
my brother in law has a worse dermatitis and he even reacts on plain water when he as an acute attack

Anabell
April 9th, 2014, 03:56 AM
How often do you wash your hair? Have your tried hair-cleaning methods which don't involve washing with water?
I wash my hair once a week. About no water cleaning- I can't avoid water for the rest of my life anyway so I better figure out what's wrong...

i would go and see a doctor to except an eczema or something like that.
my brother in law has a worse dermatitis and he even reacts on plain water when he as an acute attack
Yes, this is my last option if anything won't work. I had pretty intense semester in uni so I didn't had time to go to the doctor yet. But now it is the spring break so maybe it's a good idea. It not that acute, though. Just very annoying.

Ingrid
April 9th, 2014, 04:05 AM
I wash my hair once a week. About no water cleaning- I can't avoid water for the rest of my life anyway so I better figure out what's wrong...

I'm not necessarily arguing for avoiding water forever but stretching washes can help settle down your scalp. For me, stretching washes and ditching SLS shampoo helped tremendously and I no longer have the itchy scalp problem.

But this doesn't substitute for having a doctor/dermatologist look at your scalp in case you have some kind of skin condition or maybe a fungal infection which is not uncommon and can be remedied with proper treatment.

duchess67
April 9th, 2014, 04:42 AM
I also had severe itchy scalp, the day I wash it won't itch, second day it would start. I used to scratch my scalp with a pointed hair stick to get relief. After hennaeing it was terrible. Then I read about Nizoral shampoo, tried it for a few times a week. Then I used it once a week, nowadays my scalp doesn't itch at all even after hennaeing and so I hardly remember to use that shampoo anymore.

Here in Canada this shampoo is available over the counter. If you are in the US, you might need a doctor's prescription, not sure. Anyway, it's always better to seek an expert opinion seeing a doctor/dermatologist to rule out everything.

Wosie
April 9th, 2014, 04:47 AM
Nizoral might work, yes, and I hope it will. It's an anti-fungal shampoo and it helps people who suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. I have had an extremely itchy scalp on and off (mostly on :|) for over ten years now. Sadly I haven't found anything that helps me for a longer period of time. Sometimes I find something that works for 2-3 washes, then the crazy itchiness returns.
If you haven't gone to a dermatologist already, you truly should, so that you can get a diagnosis and understand your specific problems and learn about what'll help for you.

misspurdy06
April 9th, 2014, 04:54 AM
Sounds like eczema. If it gets itchier the more you scratch it. Eczema can be caused by food allergies. I was having a similar problem. I got an allergy blood panel done and found out I was allergic to wheat and oats. So no bread, pasta, oatmeal. When I do slip up and eat these things my scalp goes crazy.

Also you can develop allergies so.....

ositarosita
April 9th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I suffer from itch scalp as well.. first I tried oiling my scalp after washes (that helped a little and I do still oil my scalp when I can before and after washes) .... but what really helped was taking a break from shampoo altogether. I switched to CO washing with a really light conditioner and after a month or so I was able to switch back to regular routine in a sense as now I alternate between CO washing and S&C. I found that the shampoo was drying out my scalp (whether it was heavy SLS or S free didn't matter).

***I have low sebum production so my scalp needs all the help it can get to stay moisturised

lapushka
April 9th, 2014, 07:46 AM
There was a big thread on here once about the oil-shampoo method. It's about mixing a bit of oil with your shampoo.

But I agree about seeing a doctor first to exclude that you suffer from something that can only be alleviated by special shampoos or lotions.

veryhairyfairy
April 9th, 2014, 07:53 AM
I don't have much advice, but I want to commiserate because I have basically the exact same problem. I also have similar issues with my face skin, which I've so far guessed is eczema.
The dandruff didn't start until about oohhh, 6-7 months ago, and I'd never had it in my life before.
I can't use any dandruff shampoos because I'm allergic to SLS, but I've been adding lavender essential oil to my conditioner and putting it on my scalp while I condition the length and it seems to be helping a bit with the itchiness.

Sounds like eczema. If it gets itchier the more you scratch it. Eczema can be caused by food allergies. I was having a similar problem. I got an allergy blood panel done and found out I was allergic to wheat and oats. So no bread, pasta, oatmeal. When I do slip up and eat these things my scalp goes crazy.

This is good advice because I'm allergic to many things, and I think I traced the dandruff back to SLS in a shampoo I used for almost a year (didn't see it low down on the ingredients... D'OH!). That small amount of SLS running down my back for a year also caused AWFUL acne on my back (also for the first time in my life).

Here's hoping you find a solution! :flower:

ETA: I would not suggest CO because conditioner hasn't been able to fully clean my scalp of flakes during a wash. But I can do it every other wash if I scritch my scalp beforehand and don't mind having some flaky areas.

Anabell
April 10th, 2014, 06:12 AM
I also had severe itchy scalp, the day I wash it won't itch, second day it would start. I used to scratch my scalp with a pointed hair stick to get relief. After hennaeing it was terrible. Then I read about Nizoral shampoo, tried it for a few times a week. Then I used it once a week, nowadays my scalp doesn't itch at all even after hennaeing and so I hardly remember to use that shampoo anymore.

Here in Canada this shampoo is available over the counter. If you are in the US, you might need a doctor's prescription, not sure. Anyway, it's always better to seek an expert opinion seeing a doctor/dermatologist to rule out everything.

That's good to know. That you find a cure and you need it less and less over time. It sounds like you have the same conditions as mine (as opposed to pre wash itching that can caused by sebum build up\oily scalp) . I also have an appointment to a dermatologist tomorrow so I don't need to worry about the prescription thing.

Nizoral might work, yes, and I hope it will. It's an anti-fungal shampoo and it helps people who suffer from seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. I have had an extremely itchy scalp on and off (mostly on :|) for over ten years now. Sadly I haven't found anything that helps me for a longer period of time. Sometimes I find something that works for 2-3 washes, then the crazy itchiness returns.
If you haven't gone to a dermatologist already, you truly should, so that you can get a diagnosis and understand your specific problems and learn about what'll help for you.

I'm very sorry to hear and hope you will find a cure :grouphug:
I'll see the doctor tomorrow. Hope he will find out how to fix it...

I suffer from itch scalp as well.. first I tried oiling my scalp after washes (that helped a little and I do still oil my scalp when I can before and after washes) .... but what really helped was taking a break from shampoo altogether. I switched to CO washing with a really light conditioner and after a month or so I was able to switch back to regular routine in a sense as now I alternate between CO washing and S&C. I found that the shampoo was drying out my scalp (whether it was heavy SLS or S free didn't matter).

***I have low sebum production so my scalp needs all the help it can get to stay moisturised

I was considered CO like the last possibility if anything else won't work. But CO might be very tricky and my sebum production is fine (even on the oily side) so I was a little concern to start with it. That's why I ask for advice from you, guys.

Yep. Allergies is very tricky. Even doctors or biologist not sure yet how exactly it works and why some people develop them and what is the trigger. It is get itchier over time whether I scratch or not until it calms down. It is weird.

I don't have much advice, but I want to commiserate because I have basically the exact same problem. I also have similar issues with my face skin, which I've so far guessed is eczema.
The dandruff didn't start until about oohhh, 6-7 months ago, and I'd never had it in my life before.
I can't use any dandruff shampoos because I'm allergic to SLS, but I've been adding lavender essential oil to my conditioner and putting it on my scalp while I condition the length and it seems to be helping a bit with the itchiness.

This is good advice because I'm allergic to many things, and I think I traced the dandruff back to SLS in a shampoo I used for almost a year (didn't see it low down on the ingredients... D'OH!). That small amount of SLS running down my back for a year also caused AWFUL acne on my back (also for the first time in my life).

Here's hoping you find a solution! :flower:

ETA: I would not suggest CO because conditioner hasn't been able to fully clean my scalp of flakes during a wash. But I can do it every other wash if I scritch my scalp beforehand and don't mind having some flaky areas.

Hope we both find a cure. This is such a shame that there no dandruff SLS free shampoos where you live. Here we have some anti anti dandruff SLS free shampoos that based on tee tree oil. Maybe you can find some online, with ingredients list, so you can order.

Thank you all for the sharing, the support and the advice. I have an appointment tomorrow so wish me luck. I will update here about how it goes.

Anje
April 10th, 2014, 06:29 AM
I agree that a doctor visit might be in order, but before you do, try getting a shower filter. I think the Sprite brand was what we used when my husband was complaining of dry itchy irritated skin at his apartment in Cincinnati when he was working there during the week. For him, that fixed the problem -- apparently the water was extra-chlorinated at his location. If it works, it's an easy fix.

Anabell
April 10th, 2014, 07:37 AM
I agree that a doctor visit might be in order, but before you do, try getting a shower filter. I think the Sprite brand was what we used when my husband was complaining of dry itchy irritated skin at his apartment in Cincinnati when he was working there during the week. For him, that fixed the problem -- apparently the water was extra-chlorinated at his location. If it works, it's an easy fix.
I didn't think about it at all. I know we have hard water in here. I will see the doctor anyway, and it is something wrong probably, because we had hard water for years, but maybe it was the trigger or something.

GoldenSilk
April 10th, 2014, 02:46 PM
Hmm... Hard water can cause itchies? That's a new one to me, and a good reason to think about getting that shower filter I want...

My scalp hates extremes of oil/no oil, so SLS shampoo made me itchy both before and after washing. Switching to CO with a very light conditioner (I use diluted VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea or Kiwi Lime, which are both already very light/cleansing) really calmed down my oil production and evened me out. I do still get some flaky scalp buildup that I need to clarify every once in a while, as well as random unexplained itchies, but I no longer get the extreme itchies.

This topic is making me itch. :lol: I think my B-12 levels might be low at the moment, which can also cause itching.

TheHowlingWolf
April 10th, 2014, 04:09 PM
I have an itchy scalp too and have tried lots of different stuff.....it helped but the only thing that has REALLY worked for me was spraying aloe on my scalp Specifically this: http://alodrink.com/products/coco-wheatgrass/....It's an aloe drink that you're suppose to consume but when I couldn't find regular aloe vera juice a my grocery store, I got this for less than $2. I just put it in a spray bottle and spray some on my scalp after I wash. It helps a lot....maybe it's the added coconut water or wheatgrass!

Anabell
April 11th, 2014, 02:38 AM
So, I went to the doctor. He check my scalp and said that I have something that called seborrhoeic dermatitis and gave me prescription for medical shampoo and a lotion. He said the trigger for this can be stress or whether changes and I have them both in the past few month so it makes sense (We had really crazy whether here in this year and very stressful semester in uni)
Anyway, hopefully it will be gone soon...

Ingrid
April 11th, 2014, 02:42 AM
Happy to hear you've got some advice from the doctor. I hope the lotion and medical shampoo helps relieve the itchies!

lapushka
April 11th, 2014, 03:40 AM
SD can be quite something. I have it too, in spurts and bouts, though. It crops up whenever I leave my hair too long for a wash, and whenever we use shampoos that aren't harsh enough (harsh shampoos are good "preventers" for me). But if it does crop up, the *only* thing that helps is Nizoral (even the harsh shampoos can't get rid of it then).

Good luck with what the doctor prescribed!

dancingrain91
April 11th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I have a similiar problem with my skin and hair and it really seems to be something in the water. I follow washes with citric acid rinses which seems to help some. I'd say get a water filter.