PDA

View Full Version : Oil: am I covering or fixing?

lectraplayer
April 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM
My hair is curly and is bad to frizz, but it settles down when I use oil. My question is am I just covering damage? Also, is this normal behavior for healthy curly hair?

bunnylake
April 8th, 2014, 09:11 PM
You should look into the "curly girl method" or "conditioner only washing". I'm not a curly so I'm no expert, but I know a lot of people have success with eliminating frizz with these methods. Otherwise it could just be that's the natural texture of your hair. Do you know for sure if your hair is damaged? Do you have split ends? If the oil works for you and your hair is otherwise healthy, I say keep using it. Hopefully some members with curly hair will have more advice.

lectraplayer
April 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I am not sure if it's damaged or not. How would I recognize damage? I primarily style with water and a brush. No heat or anything.

Kherome
April 9th, 2014, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm told curly hair should never be touched with a brush. So perhaps there is some damage.

lapushka
April 9th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Do look into the curly girl method! A brush should only be used on wet hair, preferably a Tangle Teezer, or a plain wide tooth comb for detangling. No brush on dry hair, ever!

lectraplayer
April 9th, 2014, 11:27 AM
No brush on dry hair, ever!

I figured that real quick as it plain don't work. As mentioned, I spray my hair with water prior to using a brush. Also, what I call a brush is not boar's hair but is the common Goody stiff rod type.

The one shown here:
http://www.healthyanswers.com/healthy-aging/hair/2008/03/beautiful-hair-starts-with-good-brush-care/

jeanniet
April 9th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Brushing curly hair will create frizz because it breaks up the curls. The best time to detangle is in the shower with conditioner on your hair--this allows the curls to reclump after detangling. Are you using conditioner at all? It sounds to me like you may need more moisture/conditioning in your hair. Can you post a picture for us?

ExpectoPatronum
April 9th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I'm going to parrot what everyone else says. NO BRUSHING CURLY HAIR DRY EVER. No brushing every. My frizz was pretty much eliminated when I stopped using a brush. I detangle with a tangle teezer before washing and stick to my fingers for detangling most other times. I save the wide toothed comb for it I need to comb in some oil or if I got caught out in the wind or something.

I don't follow the curly girl method but have curly hair and ditching the brush made a world of a difference.

lectraplayer
April 9th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I used to use conditioner but I'm finding it dries my hair and creates frizz. I may need to check out that tangle teezer.

molljo
April 9th, 2014, 04:16 PM
What kind of conditioner were you using? My guess is that you were using something with silicones, which can coat the hair and prevent moisture from penetrating the hair shaft and eventually dry it out. A big part of CG is going silicone free, and the Suave Naturals line are a good place to start because they're cheap, 'cone free, and they're super easy to find.

lectraplayer
April 9th, 2014, 05:16 PM
I used to use conditioner but I'm finding it dries my hair and creates frizz. I may need to check out that tangle teezer.

lectraplayer
April 9th, 2014, 05:23 PM
What are some ingredients to watch out for? I'm using Garnier Fructis right now. It says it has Argan oil, and most ingredients appear natural. I've used Suave Naturals for a long time. All seems to dry my hair.

ErinLeigh
April 9th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Maybe your conditioner was full of humectants and the weather wasn't right for them? Its hard to imagine a good conditioner drying hair out. I have heard people say it weighs hair down, but drying hair is a new one for me. I am not doubting you but just wonder if it was wrong product. What do you do to help moisturize hair? Would you care to share full routine? Curlies tend to require more moisture.

Be careful brushing wet hair also. Dampening hair before brushing can cause breakage as hair is weaker when wet. When people sat no brushing dry curly hair they usually mean no wet brushing also. Brushes can be harsh. I don't want to generalize of course since I have no idea what your hair looks like, just offering general advice.

The reason people say don't brush dry is it makes hair appear frizzy. Usually you find Curlies detangle in shower with conditioner on hair so I am not sure about that step for you since you do not condition. I am super curious about your routine. Please share if you feel like it.

The frizz sounds like it is coming from a few things. Dry hair, brushed out curls, porous hair. If you work to tackle those issues it should reduce greatly. I had mega frizz. For me that meant coconut oil pre wash treatment to work with my porosity issue, Lots of conditioning to help retain moisture, and sealing that moisture with a little oil. Its different for everyone but that is just an example.

ErinLeigh
April 9th, 2014, 07:59 PM
What I mean by routine is
Do you just wash hair with shampoo, rinse, brush and airdry ? Or are there other steps? What kind of oil and are you using on wet or dry hair?

Hope that makes it more clear what I am wondering about.

Weewah
April 9th, 2014, 08:25 PM
Look for a really moisturizing conditioner that works for you, and squeeze your conditioner into your hair instead of just slathering it on and rinsing it out. Curlmart.com has a bunch of curly friendly products along with reviews from other curlies.

spidermom
April 9th, 2014, 09:14 PM
I agree with no brushing curly hair - ever - not with any kind of brush. Comb conditioner through in the shower, rinse, then finger-comb some sort of styling product through your hair, like clear aloe vera gel or styling gel or curl creme, something to help curls form. Frizz in your case is the disrupted curl pattern, I believe.

I'm all for hiding damage until you can get rid of it. I love that split ends are harder to spot when I've used my coney serum.

lectraplayer
April 12th, 2014, 09:04 PM
I would post a pic but I don't have permission to post attachments. We may need a moderator to address that.

Anyway, I am using the Garnier Fructis conditioner and hair oil right now, no shampoo for the most part though my wife uses the same line in shampoo. Tried and used to use Suave Herbal Essence conditioner and Doo Gro oil. (Easiest to get)

I would "scrub" the conditioner liberally in my soaked hair (especially if ultra tangled or I am extra muddy) and then finish showering before I quick rinse it. If I don't condition, I detangle under direct water spray. When done, I dry the rest of me leaving my hair wet (which helps big time) and then I apply 16 pumps of the Fructis oil on each side (still experimenting, my hair takes it up). The next morning, I always start with water. Used to also use oil but found it don't soak in properly. Again, I detangle. Sometimes I use a brush (as mentioned) but mostly I use a comb. Mostly I braid the tail. Sometimes I just band it into a ponytail. Other than that, I just control flyers with my fingers.