PDA

View Full Version : Hmm...

CaranDulin
April 8th, 2014, 05:19 PM
EDIT: Here's the link to the results!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=122197

I've been thinking for a while about going red!

Here's a little Photoshop comparison I made this afternoon:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10250&d=1396998982

Thoughts would be very much appreciated!
Red is my favorite color, so I've been secretly wanting it for quite a while. Going to try a box dye before I commit to henna, though- I need to know I love it!

adler
April 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM
What about manic panic red dyes instead? They wouldn't be damaging like the box dye and are easily washed out so no commitment:D

molljo
April 8th, 2014, 05:28 PM
I think it'll look great! Your skin looks better against the red, it really brings out your eyes and the pink in your cheeks. Though I would leave your brows alone, as they're neutral enough to hold their own against the red.

Lucky_Lucy
April 8th, 2014, 05:30 PM
I think you would look fabulous as a redhead XD

And I agree with adler, MP is great, really conditioning, some shades don't wash out that quickly, but it's not damaging. You might want to try it :)

alyaziaaah
April 8th, 2014, 05:57 PM
red looks great for your skin tone!
i think too try out a non permanet colour, i dont know MP, we dont have those colours here but they sound perfect.
use a cool shade first and if you dont like that try another red, maybe a warmer, until you have found what you like and if you are very very sure then go for a more permanent colour. or even henna....

Stormynights
April 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
You are beautiful with both.

CaranDulin
April 8th, 2014, 06:31 PM
What about manic panic red dyes instead? They wouldn't be damaging like the box dye and are easily washed out so no commitment:D
I like the sound of that! -does research-

I think it'll look great! Your skin looks better against the red, it really brings out your eyes and the pink in your cheeks. Though I would leave your brows alone, as they're neutral enough to hold their own against the red.
Aw, that's sweet! And I appreciate the feedback on the colors. I hadn't thought about leaving my brows alone, though... Hmm.

I think you would look fabulous as a redhead XD

And I agree with adler, MP is great, really conditioning, some shades don't wash out that quickly, but it's not damaging. You might want to try it :)
xD Awesome, I appreciate that! And, I may end up using MP- everything I've heard about it makes it sound awesome.

red looks great for your skin tone!
i think too try out a non permanet colour, i dont know MP, we dont have those colours here but they sound perfect.
use a cool shade first and if you dont like that try another red, maybe a warmer, until you have found what you like and if you are very very sure then go for a more permanent colour. or even henna....
Thanks a bunch! :D I burn in the sun, too, just like a redhead, so thought our coloring was bound to be compatible. xD
Also- I adore cooler shades, anyway! Hmm...

You are beautiful with both.

Thank you, so much :o

CaranDulin
April 8th, 2014, 06:32 PM
Any thoughts on a nice, cool, MP color? Vampire Red seems to be my best bet! Also, would I need to use more than one container? My hair is about BCL right now.

Anje
April 8th, 2014, 06:49 PM
It looks more like an MP red than what I think you're likely to get with henna, which tends to have more orange notes. I haven't used enough different MP colors to know for certain, but Vampire Red is a perpetual favorite for people who want a truer red than henna tends to give.

ETA:
I have similar length hair and need about a pot and a half of MP, but I have 2.75 inches of circumference. If you're sitting near the 4 inch mark, my guess would be that you should have 3 pots handy just in case you need them all.

sumidha
April 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I'd suggest getting two containers just to be sure you get even coverage. Unlike traditional box dye it can sit in the container pretty much indefinitely and still be good to use.

Diamond.Eyes
April 8th, 2014, 06:54 PM
I think it would look amazing! If I ever decided to dye my hair, I think having a garnet, cherry red like that would be totally fun and cute! :flower: If you aren't feeling completely committed to red, I would research Manic Panic and the bright shades they have! All of their dyes are also vegan.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 8th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Ooh, you would make a fabulous redhead! :)

Violet Raine
April 8th, 2014, 07:04 PM
I agree with the others saying to try out MP before henna. I think you'd look lovely as a redhead, though. :)

adler
April 8th, 2014, 07:25 PM
I've used their Wildfire before, definitely has orange undertones so would be good for you if you want to see if you like warmth if you are really considering henna :) Otherwise Vampire red is much more cool/pink tones. Infra Red is a nice in between in my opinion.

Also two jars might be necessary for your hair length but I usually mixed mine with a lot of conditioner to give it more a tint of color but I bet if you left it on for a long time while being diluted with conditioner it would still be pretty vibrant.

petitepraline
April 8th, 2014, 07:41 PM
Red is my favorite color too...so i'm kinda partial to it :)
Red..Definitely go for it, it looks good against your skin.

rosaacicularis
April 8th, 2014, 07:54 PM
That shade looks wonderful with your skin! Agreed about not dying the eyebrows. Definitely something clear and bright like that; Manic Panic would be great. Is the first photo your natural color?

CaranDulin
April 8th, 2014, 08:02 PM
Red is my favorite color too...so i'm kinda partial to it :)
Red..Definitely go for it, it looks good against your skin.
:3 Yeah, fellow red lover! Awesome!
And thanks for that, people are saying it does, that makes me happy. c:

I've used their Wildfire before, definitely has orange undertones so would be good for you if you want to see if you like warmth if you are really considering henna :) Otherwise Vampire red is much more cool/pink tones. Infra Red is a nice in between in my opinion.

Also two jars might be necessary for your hair length but I usually mixed mine with a lot of conditioner to give it more a tint of color but I bet if you left it on for a long time while being diluted with conditioner it would still be pretty vibrant.
Ahh, I think cooler suits me better, and I'm more fond of it- if that's the case, maybe henna isn't for me after all. We'll see though! Haven't even tried what I truly want yet. ;) I might add a little bit of conditioner, but that would be all- I want my hair to be really vibrant and deep, for the first time!

I agree with the others saying to try out MP before henna. I think you'd look lovely as a redhead, though. :)
Aww, thanks for your input. :)

Ooh, you would make a fabulous redhead! :)
Haha, thank you! (Love that movie, by the way... :cool:)

I think it would look amazing! If I ever decided to dye my hair, I think having a garnet, cherry red like that would be totally fun and cute! :flower: If you aren't feeling completely committed to red, I would research Manic Panic and the bright shades they have! All of their dyes are also vegan.
Thanks so much! Your hair is beautiful as is, you know. :) I'm researching it as we speak, though!

I'd suggest getting two containers just to be sure you get even coverage. Unlike traditional box dye it can sit in the container pretty much indefinitely and still be good to use.
Ahh, awesome! No need to refrigerate, either? And, are you sure 2 would do the job?

It looks more like an MP red than what I think you're likely to get with henna, which tends to have more orange notes. I haven't used enough different MP colors to know for certain, but Vampire Red is a perpetual favorite for people who want a truer red than henna tends to give.

ETA:
I have similar length hair and need about a pot and a half of MP, but I have 2.75 inches of circumference. If you're sitting near the 4 inch mark, my guess would be that you should have 3 pots handy just in case you need them all.
Thank you for telling me about that, now reconsidering if I truly would want henna later on! And also, Vampire red seems like the color I'll pick! My circumference is closer to three, like you. Haven't measured in a while, though.

CaranDulin
April 8th, 2014, 08:03 PM
That shade looks wonderful with your skin! Agreed about not dying the eyebrows. Definitely something clear and bright like that; Manic Panic would be great. Is the first photo your natural color?
Thanks a bunch! Still conflicted about leaving the eyebrows, though...they wouldn't match! I truly do love that color though, thank you. c:
And yes, the first photo is. My hair's completely natural!

adler
April 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I think (personal opinion!) that if eyebrows match too well it can look off sometimes. Do you use a pencil or shadow to fill them in currently? I just used an auburn pencil when I had it manic panic dyed and it worked wonderful. My natural brows are an ashy brown/blonde though so their coloring ability is quite adaptable

Sharysa
April 8th, 2014, 11:11 PM
I love your natural color because it's just so harmonious with your appearance, but red makes your skin and eyes pop like craaaazy. Also, seconding the fact that you shouldn't try to match your eyebrows too well to your new color. Most people's brows are browner, darker, or lighter than their hair color.

Rosetta
April 9th, 2014, 02:14 AM
Thanks a bunch! Still conflicted about leaving the eyebrows, though...they wouldn't match!
Hmm, I've dyed my hair various different colours, including red, and it's never even occurred to me that I should also dye my eyebrows to match...! I wonder what gave you the idea..? (Of course, most dyes you can't even use for facial hair.) Fully agree with Adler and Sharysa - it doesn't look natural or good if eyebrows are dyed to "match".

And as for dyeing your hair, I guess I'm a bit biased as I've had (dyed or hennaed) red hair for a big part of my life (though not right now), so obviously I'd say go for it :D

Wosie
April 9th, 2014, 03:51 AM
I personally prefer your natural hair colour, but if red is the colour you want you should go for it. :) Just remember that if you choose a permanent colour, it might be hard to go back to your natural one.

...I just wanted to bring this point into ze discussion as I got bored with my black hair after ~half a year of having it and cut off all the coloured bits in the end (did it myself during the summer holidays x)). I don't want anybody else to go through something like that, especially as your hair looks very long and quite lovely.

Weewah
April 9th, 2014, 04:44 AM
I like the red! I like your natural color too though. We have pretty much the same hair color and I liked red on me.

As far as the eyebrows, I dyed my eyebrows once and my natural color grew back in all patchy over the course of a few weeks. Honestly it didn't look good. If you really want them to match your hair more, maybe when you're doing your makeup you can use a reddish eyebrow pencil.

browneyedsusan
April 9th, 2014, 08:47 AM
I prefer your natural color, and think your gorgeous "as is". :)

redredrobin
April 9th, 2014, 10:12 AM
I like your natural hair but I think if you're starting to really desire red hair, and have done for a while, sometimes it best to just try it and see. How long have you wanted it for?

Do take into account that although MP hair dyes are not supposed to be permanent, they can fade in unpredictable ways.

Rio040113
April 9th, 2014, 10:24 AM

An excellent idea ^

And OP, you look fabulous as a redhead, I say definitely go for it! :)

Scarlet_Heart
April 9th, 2014, 12:26 PM
I think your natural color looks beautiful on you. But I also know that once you get that itch, it's hard to get it out of your head. Take it from someone who is on the long, arduous process of growing out henna: Manic Panic sounds like a great idea. You get to try it for a while, you get a truer, cooler red, and it isn't permanent.

chen bao jun
April 9th, 2014, 03:24 PM
I think you are beautiful as you are.
but you can experiment if it makes you happy, when you're young is the time to have fun with things like that.

sumidha
April 9th, 2014, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry I missed your reply CaraDulin... You don't need to refrigerate Manic Panic though I think you probably wouldn't want to leave it sitting in hot direct sunlight for days either. A bathroom cupboard is perfect for storage. I'm hesitant to tell you for sure that two containers will be enough, because I don't know exactly how thick your hair is. There's other factors too, for example the directions say to apply to damp hair, but people who want a really saturated color will do it on dry. If you go that route, you'll need more dye. On the flip side, it's also perfectly safe to dilute Manic Panic with conditioner (mix it super well!) to make it stretch further, and get a lighter color.

I think Manic Panic and other non-peroxide dyes of the same type are really fun to play with because of their flexibility. Unlike a box dye where you have to mix up the chemicals in exactly the right proportions and in the right time frame, with MP you can mix colors together, layer colors over each other, dilute it or leave the dyes on your head for pretty much as long as you want without risking some crazy hair frying chemical reaction. Hope that was helpful!

Robot Ninja
April 9th, 2014, 06:06 PM
Do it!

I use just over two jars on my TB-length, 3.75" circumference hair, and I have a lot of taper. This means I have leftovers to do my roots when they start coming in. One of the downsides of dying your hair darker is that the regrowth looks...odd, but with semi-permanents you can do touch-ups as often as you want.

anitacs9101
April 23rd, 2014, 12:52 PM
Another vote for MP! We have similar length and thickness (haven't measured the length of my hair in a while but last time I did it was 35"). I use about 1 and 3/4 jars. I always have 3 jars handy though, in case I use more than usual for some reason. Vampire Red is what I use, and it's the most intense red, I think. When I emailed MP they said it's the best shade for getting the most color payoff on unbleached hair. It's cool toned.