PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Caps and Head Coverings Question!

angstroms
April 8th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I have a satin sleep cap, and on days I don't have to be anywhere, I find myself leaving it on for most of the day. My damaged, wurly hair is difficult to put up quickly without a bit of damage or resultant tangles, and leaving it down is usually a nightmare. Usually it emerges from the cap without knots, and the cap keeps me from playing with it and getting it oily/causing mechanical damage. So, I've found myself investing in snoods to wear in the daytime, especially for work where my hair would be in the way, or get something undesirable on it.
Are there any cons to this?
I was also thinking about women who wear head coverings most of the time, and I am curious if that is good, bad, or neutral for the hair. Would it matter if the head covering was something more frictiony than satin, like plain cotton or linen?

I really enjoy snoods and similar coverings for keeping my hair out of the way, and think I might like to wear them more often. just curious if anyone has had any negative experiences from wearing them frequently.

truepeacenik
April 8th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Friction and traction are the damage causes.

I wear a pony scrub occasionally, and a knock off buff.
As long as nothing feels pulled, all is well.

Madora
April 8th, 2014, 04:09 PM
Although I've never worn a snood I think they're a good idea to help confine hair. Plus air is able to get to your scalp, which is important.

SkyChild
April 8th, 2014, 04:19 PM
It sounds like it would be a good idea. I wonder... I'll ask a Muslim lady I know who covers her hair about if she's noticed any difference in her hair.

Aderyn
April 8th, 2014, 04:25 PM
I would figure, assuming the covering is a fabric that doesn't absorb the moisture in your hair (or completely block air from getting to your scalp) and is put on gently, that it would be even more beneficial to hair that just an updo. You're really protecting hair from damage from the elements (wind, rain, sun), it confines the hair, would deter yourself from messing around with it, etc. Whether head coverings versus an updo makes a significant difference, I don't know.

darklyndsea
April 8th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I use a buff or head scarf most of the time when I go outdoors, and have done so for the past year. I have noticed a lot of difference in my hair color--apparently most of my blonde was due to sun-bleaching, which is both kind of epic and pretty horrifying. Tangles are greatly reduced (comparing bunned with covering vs. bunned without covering). My hair is ridiculously damage resistant, so I can't say for sure if there's a difference there--my hair has gotten more cooperative especially in the bizarre problem area of close to my scalp, but that might be because I'm using different products or something.

Most of my few fragile hairs are at my hairline, so I'm not a big fan of snoods and sleep caps because their elastic edges tend to sit right there and not stay completely stationary, so I think there's some damage from that. It's better than wearing your hair down, though.

Kaelee
April 8th, 2014, 09:07 PM
I wondered the same about linen snoods. I don't wear mine much because I fear the friction, and in hindsight should have bought the silk one.

Arachnid
April 9th, 2014, 06:23 AM
The friction traction problem it reducing if you put the scarf on properly. Silk is nicest obviously but not essential, viscose scarves are light, low friction and quite widely available. I tend to wear a thin silk scarf under my cotton ones to reduce friction.
That said I know Sikh men who wear cotton turbans everyday when out, have never cut their hair and they have no splits.

Also I wanted to add that if you wrap the scarf in a turban style you can still wear hair sticks as your wrapping the 'tails' over your head not your bun.

Panth
April 9th, 2014, 12:08 PM
I think it would depend upon the fabric of your headcovering, how firmly it fitted and how susceptible to tangles your hair is. A hair-friendly fabric covering that is worn tight enough that it won't constantly move and rub against the hair, but loose enough to not tug or pull would probably be ok.

Mostly, it would depend on your hairtype. Mine is very fine and tangle-prone and gets matted from having anything other than silk satin over it for a prolonged length of time. However, a hair covering would prevent a lot of bleaching from sunlight, particularly if you're outdoors a lot.