PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, not so great cut...

utdesertrunner
September 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
I just had the most frustrating hair cut. My hair is just below my shoulders, really thick and has a few long layers. I went to have it trimmed 1/4 inch and add in some bangs. I love the bangs, but I'm not sure what happened with the layers. They are awful! I look like Jane Fonda seriously. There are a ton of short choppy uneven ones all in the front.

I've been keeping it locked away in a ponytail it looks that bad. So, my question is, do I cut off the layers or hide my hair away for 6 months or so just cutting of the ends? My hair isn't that long, I would be losing about 4-5 inches of length, but it would all be the same length.

Thanks for your advice! I keep going back and forth...

Golden21
September 14th, 2008, 03:48 PM
I am also growing out layers. I decided not to cut my hair to match the layers, but to keep growing my hair until bsl and then slowly create an even hair line. The layers in the front will grow really slowly anyway, so it won't help you to cut the rest of your hair to match that hair. What about if you pull back half of your hair or use a hairband?

utdesertrunner
September 14th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Thanks Golden21, I hadn't thought about hairbands. I didn't know that the front grows slower. That's good to know. I've also thought about going to someone to "fix" it, but that would mean more length cut off.

Does anyone have any additional fun updo's ideas for shoulder length hair?

Shanarana
September 15th, 2008, 02:32 AM
The layers in the front will grow really slowly anyway, so it won't help you to cut the rest of your hair to match that hair. What about if you pull back half of your hair or use a hairband?

I'm not sure that is totally true. I wear bangs and they grow like a weed. I have to trim them myself at least once every two months or so. Maybe it seems more noticeable in the front because that's what you see the most as opposed to the back of the hair.

catekat
September 15th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Whenever I doubt myself, even a little, I try to avoid getting a new haircut. Wait it out a bit, see how you feel in a week or two. In my own experiences, I've regretted trying to fix haircuts I don't like.

bella77
September 15th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I just had my hair butchered, I cried for days. It was about 3 inches from bsl and now it's , well you can see from my siggy pic. I am aiming to let my bangs grow to reach the same length as the back, so that means I will have to keep the back shorter for a while and once they are all one length, let it grow out from there. I am sporting lots of headbands and even using curlers to guve my uneven, choppy cut some texture and volume. It looks terrible if left to dry on it's own, velcro rollers are my friends right now! Get some really cute clips to clip the front back while it's growing out. I really sympathize!!!

Chrissy
September 15th, 2008, 09:27 PM
If it was only a couple of layers I might cut but you said it was alot of choppy layers. I think I would keep growing for awhile and then slowly cut until its all one length. I mean if thats what your aiming for is all one length. It's really a personal choice but it wouldn't be so drastic if you did it that way.

after hours
September 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Whenever I doubt myself, even a little, I try to avoid getting a new haircut. Wait it out a bit, see how you feel in a week or two. In my own experiences, I've regretted trying to fix haircuts I don't like.

I agree, totally. Give it a month or two and the layers will look alot different. Try playing around with some new products maybe. But I would advise against getting it cut again to "fix" it.

I got some very unfortunate bangs cut a year ago, along with a few face framing layers I didn't really like, spent two weeks crying about it, went back to have it fixed, and ended up having my waist length hair chopped up to my collar bones. It still makes me shudder to think about it... But lesson learned for me.

paper
September 16th, 2008, 07:26 AM
You might like the way the layers look as there growing out. If not you can just keep trimming the back off, so you don't get the "mullet" look. I'm sorry this happened to you :(