PDA

View Full Version : Need help with no-poo for dry, wavy hair

tanchoulita
April 8th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I've decided to dive right into no-poo because even though I only shampoo my hair once or twice week, it didn't help with my hair. My hair tends to get split ends and the ends get really thin. I usually soaked my hair with coconut oil+honey the night before so I can shampoo my hair the next morning. I do this every time before I shampoo my hair. I tried not shampooing but my hair ended up just too greasy cause of the coconut oil. I do use a tiny mixture of argan oil and coconut oil as a leave-in afterwards for the ends.

The days I don't wash/shampoo my hair, I use a MP pure boar bristle brush to clean my hair from the lint and fur from my fur blanket and get rid of the shed hair. I do use a wooden wide-tooth comb from The Body Shop to detangle the ends before I brush. I use the Morocco Method to brush my hair.

My question is I do need the coconut oil to pre-condition my hair cause my hair is really dry but what's the best way to wash it off? Should I skip the coconut oil and just use water to wash my hair? I really need some help cause I've finally ran out of ideas and dread trimming my ends all the time.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/a940626f-7225-4ccf-b523-32d64dc928d5/539d7e11d0cf91f34d6872a506d87285/deep/0/Photo-Feb-15,-5-50-58-PM.jpg (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/a940626f-7225-4ccf-b523-32d64dc928d5/539d7e11d0cf91f34d6872a506d87285)
Click for large view (https://www.evernote.com/shard/s1/sh/a940626f-7225-4ccf-b523-32d64dc928d5/539d7e11d0cf91f34d6872a506d87285) - Uploaded with Skitch (http://evernote.com/skitch)

sarahthegemini
April 8th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Have you tried using conditioner to remove the coconut oil?

Weewah
April 8th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Co-washing is good at removing oil. I co-wash and pre-wash with coconut oil quite often.

Also, welcome to the forum!

alyaziaaah
April 8th, 2014, 06:37 PM
my hair is dry and wavy and co washing is so far the best method. i used to pre oil with coconut but now dont need it anymore.
i leave some condish after washing just squeeze it out and towel on. then combing airdrying over night and in the morning i wet it and put a mix of dollop of condish and coconut oil into it. kind of like when you use a styling cream. i brush dry with a sephora brush and sometimes just make it wet not to fluff my waves but leave them more defined.
depending on the condish i use i have to shampoo every three to four months, or if i have a condish which gives a lot of build up then more often.

Anje
April 8th, 2014, 07:04 PM
By no-poo, are you referring to washing with baking soda/bicarbonate? If so, I'll warn you that I've seen a lot of people here try it, and I can think of exactly one who liked it enough to do it long-term. The rest tended to complain of dry, damaged hair. Therefore, I really would encourage you to try something else: diluted sulfate shampoo, no sulfates, shampoo (soap) bars, CO washing, soapnuts, Indian herbs like shikaikai...... There are lots of possibilities!

tanchoulita
April 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
By no-poo, are you referring to washing with baking soda/bicarbonate? If so, I'll warn you that I've seen a lot of people here try it, and I can think of exactly one who liked it enough to do it long-term. The rest tended to complain of dry, damaged hair. Therefore, I really would encourage you to try something else: diluted sulfate shampoo, no sulfates, shampoo (soap) bars, CO washing, soapnuts, Indian herbs like shikaikai...... There are lots of possibilities!

I did try the baking soda wash and yeah, it's not for my hair. My hair dried out a lot more. The shampoo I've tried were from Acure Organics and Morocco Method. Both are either low in sulfates or no sulfates and I still get split ends. :(

Co-washing is good at removing oil. I co-wash and pre-wash with coconut oil quite often.

Also, welcome to the forum!

Thank you. With co-wash, does it make your hair oilier and heavier with built up or no? I'm trying to get a silicone-free conditioner but I've heard that not all conditioner can be used as co-wash. Not sure if that's true or not.

my hair is dry and wavy and co washing is so far the best method. i used to pre oil with coconut but now dont need it anymore.
i leave some condish after washing just squeeze it out and towel on. then combing airdrying over night and in the morning i wet it and put a mix of dollop of condish and coconut oil into it. kind of like when you use a styling cream. i brush dry with a sephora brush and sometimes just make it wet not to fluff my waves but leave them more defined.
depending on the condish i use i have to shampoo every three to four months, or if i have a condish which gives a lot of build up then more often.

Do your hair get fizzy when you air dry? I think my problem might be the blow-dry but I don't use it long at high temp plus I do use a heat protectant(Aveda Daily Repair). I usually just blow-dry it to 50% just so I don't drip water all over the place or all over the pillow. My hair tends to curl up especially the ends and it gets super tangle and dry out more. I just can't find a solution for it. I brush it to get it straight but they curl up again the next day if I don't brush. Ugh! Since I stop using any flat iron, I can't get my hair to be as straight and tangle-free. :(

ErinLeigh
April 8th, 2014, 08:52 PM
I don't find hair to be heavier or built up and my have is very fine.
I just find it smoother and more gentle. I prefer EDEN cleansing conditioner but any cone free conditioner can work well. Just have to find one your hair likes.

I tried the Acure shampoo before cowashing and I found it dried my hair out sometimes. Other times it left a filmy feeling.
Its tough for sure. It took me months to make the cowash leap as I had I many concerns but I will say it led me to the best hair of my life so far.

I feel you on the blow dry thing. My hair is wavy too so it poofy and a tangly mess when left to air dry. Maybe try the other way..airdry to mostly dry then dry it towards the end. It will be smoother that way. That's another place cowashing helped me though. When I do airdry now its a lot easier to manage than before.

I wish you well with finding something you like. Your hair is so shiny and pretty on the picture.
Welcome!

Weewah
April 9th, 2014, 07:46 AM
Thank you. With co-wash, does it make your hair oilier and heavier with built up or no? I'm trying to get a silicone-free conditioner but I've heard that not all conditioner can be used as co-wash. Not sure if that's true or not.

My favorite co-wash conditioner doesn't leave a build up or heavy feeling at all. My roots get oily quick and I use a lot of styling products and my VO5 Kiwi Lime clarifying conditioner gets everything out nicely provided I avoid silicones and waxes and stuff. The only time I feel the need to shampoo is if my scalp gets itchy. Technically you can use any conditioner as long as it isn't completely all-natural because it needs some chemically ingredients for it to lather up and rinse out. Ones that are silicone-free and cheap are preferred.

~Abi~
April 9th, 2014, 07:57 AM

I co wash with Suave Naturals (which is silicone-free). My hair does not feel oilier or heavier for the most part, but after about 4 weeks or so, I'll notice it does get the greasies faster (ie greasies on second day after washing, not third or fourth) so I'll use a silicone-free shampoo for one washing then. The one time I tried using VO5, my hair got greasy faster, but then again that was near the end of the 4 week period when I was going to need to shampoo soon....so I may try it again to see if my hair will like it after all or not.

tanchoulita
April 9th, 2014, 10:41 AM
Do hard water play a part? I was reading on this blog (http://ecocatlady.blogspot.com/2012/02/secrets-to-my-no-poo-success.html) and I live smack down in Texas where hard water rules apparently. I do notice ever since I moved to the US, my skin and hair got all weird. My skin broke out badly when I first got here so I stop washing my face with the tap water and I rely heavily on both baby water and cleansing water. My hair gets really dry and the scalp feels weird. My scalp is dry but somehow not cause the roots of my hair looks greasy but then the ends are all super dry and knotty with tangles. I do wonder if it is the water. Any thoughts?

ErinLeigh
April 9th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I don't know if this is true but on YouTube someone had posted a general hard water test without using strips.
She filled a clear glass with water. Added a little dish soap and do not stir. If it gets real cloudy the water was supposed to be indicated as hard. I am going to try it when I when I get home and see.
She used distilled water and her tap water to test. The distilled stayed clear.

Anyway off topic but since you asked about water thought I would throw it out there.
Personally I think water has a lot to do with how hair and skin react. I notice big differences when I travel.

tanchoulita
April 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM
I don't know if this is true but on YouTube someone had posted a general hard water test without using strips.
She filled a clear glass with water. Added a little dish soap and do not stir. If it gets real cloudy the water was supposed to be indicated as hard. I am going to try it when I when I get home and see.
She used distilled water and her tap water to test. The distilled stayed clear.

Anyway off topic but since you asked about water thought I would throw it out there.
Personally I think water has a lot to do with how hair and skin react. I notice big differences when I travel.

I did the experiment! One thing I noticed with the tap water here, it gets very cloudy when you first turn it on and if you have the hot water on, it gets more cloudy. I think my hair and skin might be screwed for as long as I'm here. LOL! It might actually be cheaper to live back home.

two_wheels
April 11th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Some people say ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses help with hard water. Very diluted, like maybe a tablespoon in a litre of filtered water? Then tip it over your head at the end of your shower. Opinions vary on whether to rinse out or not. I tried it for a while in conjunction with shampoo bars, didn't rinse out, you can smell the vinegar a little bit while it's drying but not after that.

I gave up on the shampoo bars/ACV anyway and am now using a cleansing conditioner, but maybe the ACV thing will work for you.

jeanniet
April 11th, 2014, 02:29 PM
I did try the baking soda wash and yeah, it's not for my hair. My hair dried out a lot more. The shampoo I've tried were from Acure Organics and Morocco Method. Both are either low in sulfates or no sulfates and I still get split ends. :(

Do your hair get fizzy when you air dry? I think my problem might be the blow-dry but I don't use it long at high temp plus I do use a heat protectant(Aveda Daily Repair). I usually just blow-dry it to 50% just so I don't drip water all over the place or all over the pillow. My hair tends to curl up especially the ends and it gets super tangle and dry out more. I just can't find a solution for it. I brush it to get it straight but they curl up again the next day if I don't brush. Ugh! Since I stop using any flat iron, I can't get my hair to be as straight and tangle-free. :(

When did you stop using the flat iron and how often were you using it? If you were straightening regularly, that may be most of your problem right there. The heat can be very damaging, and the only way to get rid of that damage is to grow it out and trim it off. Conditioning treatments, oils, and protein treatments will help the feel and appearance of your hair, but can't repair the damage.

tanchoulita
April 12th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Some people say ACV (apple cider vinegar) rinses help with hard water. Very diluted, like maybe a tablespoon in a litre of filtered water? Then tip it over your head at the end of your shower. Opinions vary on whether to rinse out or not. I tried it for a while in conjunction with shampoo bars, didn't rinse out, you can smell the vinegar a little bit while it's drying but not after that.

I gave up on the shampoo bars/ACV anyway and am now using a cleansing conditioner, but maybe the ACV thing will work for you.

I tried the co-wash before and my hair gets super greasy after it's air dried and my scalp itched. I tried Wen twice and while I didn't experience any hair lost or a bald spot like my guy's niece, it made my hair super frizzy with dry ends so I'm guessing co-wash might not be for me or I might not found the right conditioner to wash with.

tanchoulita
April 12th, 2014, 12:18 PM
When did you stop using the flat iron and how often were you using it? If you were straightening regularly, that may be most of your problem right there. The heat can be very damaging, and the only way to get rid of that damage is to grow it out and trim it off. Conditioning treatments, oils, and protein treatments will help the feel and appearance of your hair, but can't repair the damage.

I stop with the flat iron about 1½ month ago and I only used it once a week or twice a month. That's what really weird and I never ever use flat iron with more than 350F and that is rare and I rarely blow dry unless it's too late at night to wait for it to dry naturally.

two_wheels
April 12th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Yeah CO doesn't work for everyone. Wen has cones though right? so that doesn't help! My dry wavy hair hates cones. I am trying jessicurl.

What I meant was, although I don't use vinegar rinse any more, you might want to try that for hard water.

I also think jeanniet has a point- heat damage takes a long time to grow out and causes the kind of frizz you are describing.

jeanniet
April 12th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I stop with the flat iron about 1½ month ago and I only used it once a week or twice a month. That's what really weird and I never ever use flat iron with more than 350F and that is rare and I rarely blow dry unless it's too late at night to wait for it to dry naturally.

The problem is that with regular flat ironing you're going over and over the same hair, so the damage is cumulative, even if you don't have it super hot. IMO heat damage is probably the main culprit here. Rather than depending on oil to condition, I'd find a really good, rich conditioner and use that after shampooing, and use as little shampoo as you can, only on the scalp. Then oil damp hair to help seal in moisture. If you want to do a pre-poo oiling, use coconut oil. And get regular trims until the damaged hair is gone.