PDA

View Full Version : Growth stall :( Any advice?

Of the Fae
April 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Hi guys,

Recently I posted my progress, and I think I came quite a long way. However, after measuring I found out my hair grew 3,1 inches in 8 months time. That is a lot slower than it did a year or so ago. Not only that, but since two weeks there has been no growth whatsoever. At all. I notice very well because I have henna. No roots showing, while in the past I had to henna every two weeks because it grew so fast :( So I notice my growth has slowed down tremendously, and I wonder why. I eat a lot more vitamins, although I did lose a lot of weight due to a dental procedure that disabled my chewing.
I am chin length now and I miss my midback hair so much I want to grow it back. I know it will take a few years, but I'm hoping to at the very least approach shoulder in six months.

I'm doing scalp massages and use oils, but that's about it

Thanks in advance

Anje
April 8th, 2014, 09:24 AM
Sometimes hair just takes a timeout. If your ends aren't breaking, just try to be patient and keep up being nice to it. I know my hair has always grown in fits and starts, so I try not to worry too much about measuring and such (but it's rather longer than yours, and in your position I know I'd be eager to get it to grow, too).

You might get lucky and end your stall with a huge growth spurt. :)

Lucky_Lucy
April 8th, 2014, 10:18 AM
I totally agree with Anje, you might be surprised by how fast your hair might start growing after this. Don't be discouraged!

If you haven't already, you could join us in the Growth Rate Experiments thread, see if you find anything that works for you.

Also, this is just a suggestion, and I know it's not easy to follow this kind of advice, but benign neglect can be great, if you keep watching your hair grow, it can seem to take forever for it to grow longer.

ExpectoPatronum
April 8th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Like others have said, sometimes hair just takes a break.

I'm another advocate for benign neglect. I always feels like my hair grows faster when I ignore it :)

darklyndsea
April 8th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Losing weight is pretty likely to slow your growth rate, actually. Your body has to decide what it's going to do with the nutrients you are getting, and hair's pretty much at the bottom of the list.

Of the Fae
April 8th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the advice :) Where can I find the growth rate thread?
It's true that a watched pot never boils. I might just attempt another updo challenge and try to hold that for a few months :P And gain a little weight with healthy foods ^^

swearnsue
April 8th, 2014, 01:10 PM
I have a theory, totally unscientific, I'm just a retired public servant.

Here is my theory: If you are getting enough vitamins and protein etc and your length does not increase, then it is because you have NEW GROWTH! New baby hairs will become noticeable in a few weeks.

My theory is that there is a finite amount of hair growth during an average day and if it's not going into the length of the already established hair, then the hair growth energy in going into new hairs.

You may have shed a bit more than usual after your dental procedure. (I know I would!!)

Leeloo
April 8th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I have a theory, totally unscientific, I'm just a retired public servant.

Here is my theory: If you are getting enough vitamins and protein etc and your length does not increase, then it is because you have NEW GROWTH! New baby hairs will become noticeable in a few weeks.

My theory is that there is a finite amount of hair growth during an average day and if it's not going into the length of the already established hair, then the hair growth energy in going into new hairs.

You may have shed a bit more than usual after your dental procedure. (I know I would!!)

Love your theory. Never thought about it that way

catamonica
April 21st, 2014, 04:16 PM
After many years of no hair growth I tried Original Mane & tail shampoo from Wall Mart. My hair grew fourteen inch to waist. Now it's at hip. I hope this helps. I still use the shampoo. But it won't grow anymore. But the shampoo doesn't work for every body.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 21st, 2014, 04:23 PM
Hmmm. I am in a stall at the moment too. It may be connected with the fact that I am following a new healthy eating plan and cutting out the junk foods. My body is adapting to this, I guess and hair growth has stopped in the meantime. I am sure it will begin again in it's own good time but I agree with you that it is so frustrating. Patience is what's needed here:)