PDA

View Full Version : Help with hair typing again? Hair keeps evolving, sorry...

kiezel
April 8th, 2014, 12:42 AM
Hi! So my story is that I used to have pretty straight hair when I was around 10, but then it started doing this weird flip thing on side, and since then it seems to be getting wavier and wavier. I used to not know how to care for wavy hair, but lately I've been trying more and more to encourage it. I used to brush it out so it could be really silky....but that just ended up in poof and stuff.

So! I switched to natural shampoo bars about 3 months ago, and last week i have began to wash only the roots, towel dry, no combing at all, scrunching with some coconut oil, plopping, then air drying. My hair is been looking like this consistently (pics below), and I have two main questions....one is about hair type, and the other is...does it look gross? Because I've had some people tell me I should comb my hair, I look crazy and dirty and stuff....and I'm really not used to wearing my hair like this, I don't have much of an idea if it looks bad.... *hugs everyone*
http://i.imgur.com/vOT34mX.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/q3ipVh7.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/p8VggbA.jpg

veryhairyfairy
April 8th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Well, I would kill to be able to achieve clumped waves like that without massive amounts of effort, so no, I don't think it looks gross! :flower:

If this is after styling, you'll want to take another picture the next time you wash. Do your normal in shower routine, but don't touch the hair at all (no towel, comb, scrunch, plop etc). Just let it hang there until it's dried and take a picture.

I'm basing this guess on the assumption that your hair has been scrunched in the pics; I'd label you as a 2a/2b right now, but I believe if you go full curly girl in your styling you could bump that up easily. :)

HTH :flower:

lapushka
April 8th, 2014, 05:54 AM
I agree with veryhairyfairy! If this is styled, you'll want to just shampoo/(condition), then don't touch until dry, then take a picture for hairstyling. My guess on *this* picture is also 2a/2b, but if this is styled, your *actual* hairtype might be "lower" than this.

dutchclog
April 8th, 2014, 06:34 AM
No way, this is not gross at all. I think it looks nice. I do a similar thing with my hair. Mine is baby fine and wavy. I just let it air dry (with some product) and scrunch. Combing or brushing is a killer: it takes away the nice texture and turns it into a frizzy mess. If you think it looks a touch too messy...use a very wide toothed comb.

divinedobbie
April 8th, 2014, 07:14 AM
I agree with 2a/b based on the pictures right now but that depends if those are "typing" pictures or if your hair had already been touched/plopped/styled. It doesn't look gross but if you feel like it is, maybe try running a very wide tooth comb through it when it's still pretty damp that way you won't ruin the clumps either.

schnibbles
April 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM
I don't think it looks either crazy or dirty! I think it's definitely pretty. It looks like Pinterest hair to me, an effect most people probably achieve with a large barrel curling iron. 2B? Maybe? The wavy category can be hard to type, depending on the day, I think..

molljo
April 8th, 2014, 05:39 PM
I guess I'm going to be the odd one out and say that I don't really like the look. I'm 2a/2b, and this is how my hair looks if I leave it alone after washing, and it drives me nuts. I usually finger comb out the clumps so it ends up looking more 1c/2a. I think it has to do with the fact that I *know* there are tangles in there and I'd rather have straighter poofy hair than be haunted by the thought of tangles. It's heartening though that lots of posters here like the look, so maybe I'll give the clumpy look another shot. I also don't think it looks dirty at all.

lapushka
April 9th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I think BTW, if this is styling, that you're doing exactly the right thing. This is how wurls are. If you don't like them, then that's an issue, but it doesn't look bad at all! On the contrary! :D

kiezel
April 9th, 2014, 03:21 AM
Thank you guys so much for your reassurance! It's taken a lot of courage to wear it like this out in public...and I do get a lot of strange looks. Everybody here has straightened hair and stuff. But yeah! Okay, I didn't know plopping/scrunching was considered styling, I'm learning! Um, I can take a pic later but my hair the same amount of wave, it just doesn't clump like this if I let it dry naturally.

lapushka
April 9th, 2014, 05:20 AM
Um, I can take a pic later but my hair the same amount of wave, it just doesn't clump like this if I let it dry naturally.

That's exactly the point. That's how you find out your hairtype.