PDA

View Full Version : If you are a wavy...

ravenheather
April 7th, 2014, 09:47 PM
My question for fellow wavies is, do you bbb or just comb? Or just finger comb?

molljo
April 7th, 2014, 09:54 PM
I finger comb mostly, and I use an actual comb in the morning after I've spritzed in my diy detangling spray, and also in the shower when it's full of conditioner. I don't like BBBs at all.

Weewah
April 7th, 2014, 10:38 PM
I finger comb and use the Tangle Teezer. BBBs do nothing for me as far as smoothing sebum down the hair shaft which is what I think is their intended use. Just gives me triangle hair if I do that. However I have been using a round BBB with the blow dryer to style my bangs for as long as I can remember.

BlueRabbit
April 7th, 2014, 10:39 PM
I BBB about every three days. I have to be very careful to start at the ends and work my way up even though I'm only a little past APL. I find I like it better towards the beginning of my wash cycle when my hair is straighter. But no matter what after I BBB I go back through with my fingers and some sesame seed oil.

Vampyria
April 7th, 2014, 11:03 PM
I comb, but I have a huge frizz problem lately, so it would probably be better if I didn't.

Jumper
April 7th, 2014, 11:27 PM
I finger comb, but if I am going to put it in a bun or braid I will brush it out with the tangle teaser. Sadly. I had such glorious waves this morning and when I tried to braid it with just finger combing it was highly awkward looking in the front. Once I brush it with any device those waves are gone for good and its kinda poofy. If I can I will only brush my scalp area back so that it looks smooth and finger comb the rest.

I try to limit any brushing activity to once a day, only if I'm going to work (and have to put my hair up). I just finger comb it out of its braid at the end of the day to bun it for sleeping (buns really kill my waves and make my hair practically straight but its such a comfy way to sleep).

BBB I use just to smooth my scalp in any style, seems to smooth down the flyaways. They come back eventually of course. I have had no success brushing my whole head with one of those.

GoldenSilk
April 7th, 2014, 11:45 PM
I'm only barely a wavy naturally, but any kind of bun or braid gives me more waves, so maybe my experience will help you? I try to finger comb as much as I can, and since I got my Tangle Teezer, I almost never use my BBB. My hair is fine but fairly thick, and the BBB never penetrated all the way to the scalp no matter how much I sectioned, so I would always get these weird horizontal mats and tangles from using it.

Another difference is that I used my BBB much more when I used to use shampoo each wash. I was a huge greaseball just by day two or three, and nothing but the BBB would smooth out the stringies on my scalp when I bunned it for work. Now that I am CO, my scalp isn't nearly as greasy, and the hair is more conditioned, which seems to make it "accept" the oil better and not look so uneven at the end of my wash cycle.

That said, I have been thinking about going back to using it on my scalp again... It certainly did feel nice.

BlueRabbit
April 8th, 2014, 12:03 AM
Yes Golden... I had the same issue with the brush not reaching the scalp. If I want a really good brushing I use my paddle brush and then go back over with the bristle, seems to work better and that way if I miss a spot it isn't a total mess. Adding oil to it helps me. I have really dry hair that I only wash once a month though. The reason I bought the brush was to evenly distribute oil on my hair.

Aderyn
April 8th, 2014, 12:06 AM
That depends on what I'm going to do with my hair..

If I'm wearing it down, I will unbraid it from sleep and lightly finger comb - hands lightly covered in coconut oil - through it. That's it. Combing, brushing, whatever.. just leads to a big poofy, frizzy mess otherwise.

If I'm wearing it up (usually), I will comb it, brush through it with a denman brush (I like it to be thoroughly detangled, I feel like a brush does that more effectively than a comb) and sometimes go through with a BBB (if it's several days post wash and there is enough sebum to distribute down the length).

restless
April 8th, 2014, 02:08 AM
The only time I ever have to detangle my hair is after showers and I do that by finger combing only, but I do own a tangle teezer and brush my hair with it before showers sometimes to avoid clogging the drain with loose hairs (and because it feels really nice on the scalp despite the fluffy hair it causes). However, I have never even tried a bbb and quite frankly, Im not sure Id like to try one either. For some reason I have this idea that they can be quite harsh on fine hair and therefor I avoid them. I guess you should never say never though, there might be a day when I buy one (hey Ive been enabled before in this forum) but I have no plans for that as of today.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 8th, 2014, 03:55 AM
I finger comb in the shower with conditioner, when hair is dry I always use a comb. The only time I BBB is for my monthly length photo.

two_wheels
April 8th, 2014, 04:11 AM
I use bbb before bed and it stops being icky by morning. It kills my frizz and makes my waves behave but is a bit gross at the top for a few hours. April length in my sig is post bbb.

julee
April 8th, 2014, 04:20 AM
I finger comb almost exclusively, detangling with conditioner in the shower. I have noticed significantly less damage since giving up using a comb :)

alishaxmarie
April 8th, 2014, 05:44 AM
I have a wide-toothed comb, a BBB, and a knock-off tangle teezer. I don't think I'm gentle or patient enough with my fingers or combs, I think I just rip through knots because I don't realize how bad they are until I hear the sound of breakage but maybe I'm exaggerating a little. :shrug: I like the BBB for the scalp massage and for distributing my sebum from the roots down the length since the curlier hair is, the harder it is for sebum to travel down the hair shaft on its own. BBB's are also good for bunning hair since it gives updos a more polished look (no one likes fly-aways) and I would imagine it would help keep greasy hair from lumping together and giving you the appearance of bald spots lol. If you're gentle and remove all your tangles before BBB-ing, then I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use one on wavy hair if that's what you want. Oh and I just received my knot genie (knock-off TT) at the end of last week so I don't want to speak too soon but I love it! I really see why everyone raved about it, it's the best of brushes and combs in one! :cool:

Wosie
April 8th, 2014, 05:55 AM
I have used BBBs, plastic combs, plastic ball-tipped brushes, finger combing, wooden comb and a wide toothed horn comb.

I like my wide toothed horn comb and my wooden comb the most. They are both very mild to the hair, and it seems my hair is happier since I started using them. Finger combing doesn't work that well, as it makes my hair look piecey easily. My ball-tipped brush is nice, but my hair gets frizzier when I use it. I haven't used my plastic comb for a while, and I didn't notice either positive- or negative effects from using it.
I have two BBBs, and these days I only use them to work through my coconut- and olive oil mixture into it one day before washing my hair. Otherwise I only noticed more split ends and frizziness from using them, so I'm staying away from them for now, but maybe I'll use them more in the future again... As I cannot be sure the splits were due to the brushes.

momschicklets
April 8th, 2014, 05:55 AM
Well I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what a BBB is? I'm guessing it's some sort of brush, and I never brush! Even though my hair is just at my collarbone right now, brushing my very thick hair pulls and snaps it and creates terrible, puffy frizz. I do comb, though, with a wide tooth comb a couple of times a day. Helps my hair look neat and untangled without breaking up the waves and causing frizz. I'm only a 2a though....if I had more wave that might not work for me.

I always comb very slowly so as not to snap hair, and then I run my fingers through the length of it also.

Wosie
April 8th, 2014, 06:01 AM
momschicklets} A BBB is a boar bristle brush. Not made to detangle one's hair, but to spread sebum from the scalp down the length. They seem to work very well for some hair types, but I think many wavies and especially curlies don't tend to use them very often. If I remember correctly I also think that many people who follow the WO method (water only) use them regularly.

Lyv
April 8th, 2014, 06:01 AM
I use my BBB every night before bed and usually finger comb the rest of the time unless it's really tangley. The only problem I've had with my BBB is that it doesn't go through to the scalp so I just section it. It doesn't pull out my wave or cause any extra frizz, it's back to normal by morning.

UP Lisa
April 8th, 2014, 06:31 AM
The only time I ever have to detangle my hair is after showers and I do that by finger combing only, but I do own a tangle teezer and brush my hair with it before showers sometimes to avoid clogging the drain with loose hairs (and because it feels really nice on the scalp despite the fluffy hair it causes). However, I have never even tried a bbb and quite frankly, Im not sure Id like to try one either. For some reason I have this idea that they can be quite harsh on fine hair and therefor I avoid them. I guess you should never say never though, there might be a day when I buy one (hey Ive been enabled before in this forum) but I have no plans for that as of today.

I have an old BBB that is actually soft. It causes less damage to my hair than anything else I have ever tried. I only wish I could find another one like it.

kellinaturalmom
April 8th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I use a wide tooth comb when wet and then leave it alone.

schnibbles
April 8th, 2014, 07:20 AM
I use a Tangle Teezer before washing, finger comb when wet. When's it's mostly almost dry I will sometimes use the wooden wide tooth comb from the body shop to break up the clumps, if any. I don't own a BBB.

lapushka
April 8th, 2014, 07:29 AM
No combing, or brushing - at all. My hair gets combed and brushed just before a weekly wash. Then after, when it comes out of the towel (15 to 20 min. of towel drying), it is combed with a wide tooth comb. Then it gets styled. Then it's left alone again for the whole entire week. I get great wave formation, and it stays. And no, there's no combing or brushing for when it gets put into updos.

Madora
April 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM
I brush with my boar bristle brush every day (detangle with wide tooth comb before brushing). I've been bbbing for more than 40 years and love the results I get (very soft hair that is very shiny).

lapushka
April 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM
I brush with my boar bristle brush every day (detangle with wide tooth comb before brushing). I've been bbbing for more than 40 years and love the results I get (very soft hair that is very shiny).

Yes, okay, but doesn't that mess up your wave pattern?

Scarlet_Heart
April 8th, 2014, 08:39 AM
I finger comb. After a wash, I comb a few drops of oil through my hair with a horn comb or tangle teezer (just the length). Other than that it's fingers only.

sourgrl
April 8th, 2014, 08:41 AM
I finger comb my length and use a wide toothed comb on the my crown. I tried a wood bristle brush and loved it. It didn't cause any poof but my fine hair would get caught where the bristles meet at the base.

Irishrain
April 8th, 2014, 08:54 AM
I use my wide tooth shower comb just before I put it up for the night and then again in the morning before I put it up for work. I use the bbb once my hair is dry after the shower to spread my aloe vera leave in.

Madora
April 8th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Yes, okay, but doesn't that mess up your wave pattern?

Doesn't matter because my hair is always up and braided, never down.

Anje
April 8th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I comb or use a Tangle Teezer. The BBB is a wonderful instrument for removing lint and cat fuzz from my hair, but that's about all I use it for. It not only tends to get the top 6 inches of my hair greasy, but it seems to weave my hair together in a layer that needs to be broken up afterward.

VitaR86
April 8th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Not long after joining the LHC, I bought a BBB. I wasn't a fan. I use it for my cat now. I do have a tangle teezer that I use when I need to pull my hair up for a bun or before washing. Other wise, I just use my fingers.

ExpectoPatronum
April 8th, 2014, 11:31 AM
I've found a good detangling routine that works well for my hair, which is on the curlier side of wavy.

I use a wide-toothed comb, tangle teezer, and my fingers. It really depends on where I'm at in my routine.

I use the tangle teezer on wash day to really remove any knots and to remove as many shed hairs as possible so I don't clog my shower drain. After a wash, a light finger combing is all I need to get my waves to behave. At night, I'll use a wide toothed comb before putting it in a braid. In the morning, I finger comb. I'll use my comb or tangle teezer as needed for updos, though often times my fingers are enough.

moonlight
April 8th, 2014, 11:40 AM
I finger-comb only. Every two weeks I henna my roots, so I use a wide tooth comb after rinsing out the henna, but that's it. Finger-comb all other times. That's probably why my up-dos are always a little "wild"...hehe

durgidog
April 8th, 2014, 12:05 PM
I detangle with conditioner and a wide tooth comb in the shower, and comb my hair once more when I get out of the shower. I wash my hair every 3-4 days and just finger comb in between.

I used to bbb every night but have fallen out of the habit due to laziness, lately I just use it to distribute coconut oil or remove lint from my hair. I LOVE my bbb, it's extremely soft and doesn't disturb my wave pattern at all. That said my hair will always regain it's wave if I spritz it with a little water, for some people a bbb straightens their hair out until the next wash.

lapushka
April 8th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Doesn't matter because my hair is always up and braided, never down.

Oh, okay! :flower:

ravenheather
April 9th, 2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the responses.

alishaxmarie
April 9th, 2014, 12:35 PM
I comb or use a Tangle Teezer. The BBB is a wonderful instrument for removing lint and cat fuzz from my hair, but that's about all I use it for. It not only tends to get the top 6 inches of my hair greasy, but it seems to weave my hair together in a layer that needs to be broken up afterward.

This! EVERY. TIME.
I BBB-ed last night and then forgot to comb my hair before starting to dutch braid so, needless to say, it took forever because I had to separate my ends every time I added hair to the braid -_-

Katrine
April 9th, 2014, 01:25 PM
I don't have a BBB but do have a fairly soft boar bristle brush that I very rarely use. It seems to cause damage even if I'm careful so I just finger comb mostly or every so often use a wooden comb. I think it is good to distribute the sebum but my fine hair is just too fragile.

shutterpillar
April 9th, 2014, 01:26 PM
I finger comb on wash day after my hair has dried, then I'll use the Tangle Teezer on second day hair up until my next wash.

lunalocks
April 9th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Wide tooth comb when wet. Finger comb while drying. Gives me the best waves. Next day I will comb before bunning. Occasionally will brush, but not with a BBB. I have a bamboo toothed brush that I love. Don't use it often, tho.

Robot Ninja
April 9th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I comb in the morning and before bed, and brush with my BBB before bed and before I put my hair up. It pulls out all my waves and makes my hair poufy, so I don't use it if I'm going to wear my hair down, but it does help keep the flakies at bay and lets me stretch washes for another day or so. I have to section my hair to get it to go through to the scalp.

alyaziaaah
April 9th, 2014, 04:02 PM
i co wash twice a week and put a dollop condish in before towelling. i comb with a big and a small comb and airdry. then i put another dollop of condish mixed with a dollop of coconut oil into slightly wetted hair to define my waves. i brush twice per day, sometimes three times if i was in the gym. if i brush dry i get hollywood waves, but i have to be very careful cause of tangles, if i wet my brush i can scrunch my waves and they get more curly. i prefer to wet my brush cause my hair gets slippery cause of the condish in it. i use a Sephora detangling paddle brush. my hair gets shiney with this routine and no damage. bbb damages my hair.

Sharysa
April 9th, 2014, 04:14 PM
I finger-comb most of the time except for before and after washes, which are twice a week. That's when I need detangling for the former, and to comb oil in for the latter.

Finger-combing is way easier since it keeps frizz away as well as keeps my waves shaped properly; even wide-tooth combs tend to pull my waves dead straight, since I'm 1c/2a.

DweamGoiL
April 9th, 2014, 05:52 PM
I use a BBB the night before wash day. I end up putting it up the next day anyways. I also use my BB for styling when I updo. Other than that, I use a wide toothed plastic comb or my fingers.