PDA

View Full Version : Best ways to keep hair detangled and soft?

Leslieslsa
April 6th, 2014, 05:02 PM
I have tailbone length hair and I have been struggling with tangles even in the shower. Once it is dry it isn't too bad as long as I am not out in the wind. What can be done to help keep it tangle free?

Aderyn
April 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
Braids and updos. Without a doubt.

Just generally avoiding manipulating your hair and when you do manipulate it be gentle.

When I'm in the shower and washing my hair, I definitely get quite a few tangles - which I just let it be for the time, and then I comb it out after my hair is dry or with conditioner in the shower. I think, in regards to the shower, having a conditioner with plenty of slip will do wonders for the tangles.

ETA: If I'm showering but it's not a wash day, I usually wear my hair up/in a braid during the shower, too.

Madora
April 6th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I'm with Aderyn. Braids and updos for the win!

Dealing with tangles in the shower: try and keep your hair sectioned and separate as much as you can. I center part my hair and loosely braid one section half way down while I shampoo the other side. Once the other side is done, I take out the braid and shampoo, etc. When rinsing, I try to keep each side separate (I have a hand held shower attachment so that helps a bit in directing water to the scalp and length (and underneath).

Detangling is a lot simpler if you do it in the shower, while your hair is full of conditioner. Just use a wide tooth comb and start at the bottom and work up to the scalp. Do it in SMALL sections and go slowly!

Once your hair is dry, put it in a braid or bun it to keep it from getting tangled.

If you do wear it down occasionally, then be sure to detangle it every few hours. Letting it sit all day w/o detangling it is asking for a nasty detangling session later.

ArtThistle
April 6th, 2014, 05:39 PM
If I don't braid my hair, it tangles the moment I step outside. I've found that gently combing my hair in the shower while I'm conditioning, and then using a detangling mist in my hair when it's dry helps. My hair is not nearly as long as yours (BSL usual, WL straightened), so my hair is likely not as tangley as yours.

Azura
April 6th, 2014, 06:30 PM
My hair is nowhere near as long as your hair is but I have to agree with the others. Braids heavy conditioners and oils are my best friends. My hair is an absolute monster when it comes to tangles!

TheHowlingWolf
April 6th, 2014, 11:44 PM
I read this thread earlier and I just washed my hair. In the shower, I sectioned out my hair in 3 parts and conditioned them, then I braided & left i like that until I rinsed out the conditioner and HOLY :bull:!!!!!!!!!! There were hardly any tangles!!!! I didn't even have to use detangler and usually I have to use around a quarter size amount! Def. going to do this from now on!

schnibbles
April 7th, 2014, 08:01 AM
Have you tried conditioning twice in the shower? (WCC)
Here's a thread on it:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=119314

This has helped me a lot. I use a silicone free conditioner for the first condition, rinse well and follow with a light coney condish for the second. (right now it's Loreal Advanced in the black bottle, I think I'm using the "Power Moisture" flavor)

Also washing at night just generally helps my hair behave better. It has all night to calm down. I sleep with it slightly dampish in a top knot bun and in the morning it's a lot smoother and not so crabby.

Good luck, it may just be that you need to alter your routine a little.

Wosie
April 7th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I have noticed that my hair has gotten way silkier (!) the past week or so, and I am not quite sure which of my recent experiments caused this... But I can tell you what I've done:

I've combed daily with a wide toothed horn comb, I've used a silk sleep cap on the night after a hair wash (when the hair's dry... I don't use a sleep cap every night, but I think it helps to wear one after the first night of having washed the hair) and I've been oiling my hair ~24 hours before I've washed it with a mix or coconut oil and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil). It has really helped me, and I hope it'll help others too!