PDA

View Full Version : Braid without using an elastic

Llama
April 5th, 2014, 10:15 PM
I just saw this hair tutorial on Youtube where the girl braided her hair without using an elastic to secure it. The way she does it seems gentle enough...what do you guys think? Could this be less damaging than using an elastic?

Link to the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3KCFRADoX8

Lirona
April 5th, 2014, 11:27 PM
Hey, that's cool! But I think whether or not it's less damaging depends on how gently you can detangle the end afterwards. That way of securing the braid would create an absolutely awful mess on me, causing way more damage than if I'd just used a ponytail holder.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 11:48 PM
It's a cool idea but my hair would be a god awful mess when I went to take it out. I don't think hairties are bad if you use them properly.

animetor7
April 5th, 2014, 11:53 PM
An interesting idea...but I have nearly dead straight and fine hair and it would never stay. :( So alas, a hairtie it is for me.

bekstamonkey
April 6th, 2014, 12:30 AM
Interesting idea...but I can imagine it being a right pain to get it out without causing damage...loved the kitty rolling about on the bed in the background! :D

Carolyn
April 6th, 2014, 05:40 AM
I've never found the stretchy knit hair ties to be the least bit damaging :shrug:

In2wishin
April 6th, 2014, 07:28 AM
.loved the kitty rolling about on the bed in the background! :D

LOL, kitty was very cute and even matched the white decor!

Whenever it is humid, I can braid my hair without anything to hold it. I just braid to the very tip. Over the next hour or so, the braid loosens and the first inch or so falls out but the rest of the braid stays put from the waves. I just have to make sure I detangle the ends first before I start unbraiding. Braids completely fall out in dry air if I don't secure them.

Madora
April 6th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't dare trying that on my length. All the tangled mess that would ensue if I did. However, I will admit that if you are in a pinch about confining your hair, it might be helpful. Definitely would work better on shorter hair. I loved the kitty too!!

melusine963
April 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Beautiful cat. :D My braid is long enough that it usually stays put all by itself, but this would definitely be useful for someone with shorter hair.

maskedrose
April 6th, 2014, 12:05 PM
My hair is wavy enough that if I'm ever in a pinch I just braid it and it usually stays. It will get looser over the course of the day and the ends come unbraided a bit, but then I just take 2 seconds to rebraid and off I go :)

Ocelan
April 6th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I can imagine on some people that might work but I wouldn't use it as a regular thing as for people with hair that isn't as straight and slippy as mine it seems like it would be a pain to detangle afterwards. In my hair that just doesn't work as for a few days after wash my braids don't stay well even with a hairtie. This technique might leave one separate tangle but no braid for me.

If a longer haired person wants to do that I imagine it would work if you braid normally by separating the sections until there is about as much length left as that lady has to braid and then do as she does.

Aderyn
April 6th, 2014, 12:25 PM
My hair is wavy enough that if I'm ever in a pinch I just braid it and it usually stays. It will get looser over the course of the day and the ends come unbraided a bit, but then I just take 2 seconds to rebraid and off I go :)

Yes! Same here. I usually don't even need to tie my braid off if I'm putting it up in a bun or even if I sleep in just a braid (I toss and turn a lot in my sleep, so that's an accomplishment).

Having tapered hair also helps with that as the braid gets tighter the further down it goes and if I want to have a more secure braid without a hairtie I can go all the way down the very ends

Sharysa
April 6th, 2014, 12:52 PM
Organic braids are fantastic for my grabby and borderline-wavy hair, but it's just too thick for organic braids even at hip-length. About three or four stitches in, it gets so stiff I can barely pull it through, and then I've only got half the length braided anyway. So, yet another factor that messes with this tutorial. :P

QMacrocarpa
April 7th, 2014, 05:35 PM
These days I always braid without using an elastic, but my (grabby) hair would be in a right state if I used that method. I just braid normally to near my ends, and then stop and let my waves and general hair-grippiness take over. Works well for me.

Llama
April 9th, 2014, 10:49 PM
I tried this the other day and it definitely did not work for me....my hair didn't "tangle" together at all at the bottom while I was braiding it. I guess that is probably a good thing though! :)