PDA

View Full Version : Using coconut oil for the first time!

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 08:47 PM
I'm just really excited. My hair has coconut oil in it for the first time. I'm visiting my mom and they sell it cheaper here so I got some! I feel like a real LHC member now, though I still love my olive oil :) I hope it works well for my hair. My hands are really soft from applying it!

hafattack
April 5th, 2014, 08:50 PM
DH contaminated mine a while back with cooking oil and my hair has been crying.. I got some tonight and it feels magical.. hope you love it!

Aderyn
April 5th, 2014, 08:52 PM
How exciting! Are you currently using it as some sort of pre-poo treatment, a leave-in, etc.?

Do share the results! Even if it doesn't work out as well as you'd hope the first time, don't be deterred. Took me a while to figure out how to properly apply coconut oil for myself.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 09:05 PM
I have it in as a pre poo. I can't use oil as a leave in, my hair is to fine for it. I rubbed a bit into my length and braided it. I'm going to wash in the morning. We'll see what my hair likes better, coconut or olive :) Experimenting is fun!

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 09:09 PM
We LOVE coconut oil, my husband's been oiling his hair every night for three days to prep for bleaching his roots (we keep not getting around to it) it looks SO shiny and healthy (which as it is bleached with in an inch of its life is a testament to the powers of coconut oil)

blue_eyes
April 5th, 2014, 09:12 PM
I just started using coconut oil this week too & I'm hooked! :)

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 09:57 PM
We LOVE coconut oil, my husband's been oiling his hair every night for three days to prep for bleaching his roots (we keep not getting around to it) it looks SO shiny and healthy (which as it is bleached with in an inch of its life is a testament to the powers of coconut oil)

Wow, for bleached hair that IS impressive! I should pin my mom and put some in her hair. She has grey grown out to her ears, but from her ears to bra strap is very damaged and bleached.

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 09:59 PM
He likes his hair a very very cool platinum (he does have very resilient hair)

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 10:05 PM
I've always wanted to do something cool like that with my hair! It's so fine though it would probably just break off lol My kitty keeps trying to chew on my braid! :rolleyes:

Llama
April 5th, 2014, 10:22 PM
I have fine hair much like yours and I think coconut oil works best as a pre-shampoo! If I do use it before I shampoo I always make sure not to use any leave in conditioner/serum after I'm done washing my hair because then it dries looking kinda greasy.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 10:40 PM
Hmm, I usually use a de tangling spray after I wash so any tangles I have just fall out. Since I added a light cone in my condish though I haven't had any trouble so I might stop using the spray after It's gone. One thing at a time though! :)

Nadine <3
April 6th, 2014, 02:59 PM
WOW, my hair feels lovely! Soft and very very shiny! I was a bit heavy handed with it though...took a lot to get it out lol I'm helping my mom with her hair now. I'm visiting her..she thought the oil was weird until I washed it out this morning, then she wanted it in her hair LOL We actually went and got her hair cut. Cut off all the over processed damaged stuff. She has a tiny bit left on the tips but the rest is all virgin salt and pepper :) I'm going to teach her how to take better care of her hair. I bought her a jar of oil to keep at her house!