View Full Version : To those that condition their hair ...

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 06:28 PM
After my recent troubles of applying conditioner and my (now shorter!) hair getting greasy quicker, I thought I'd ask you all:

1) For those of you that use conditioner to condition (as in, the step after shampoo or co-wash etc) how high up the hair shaft do you apply it? To the roots? To ear level? To chin level? Etc.

2) What happens if you apply it higher up than 'normal'? Does it get oily faster? Does it make no difference?

3) How dry or frizz prone is your hair? And is it fine or coarse or in between?

4) Did your conditioner needs change as your hair got longer?

I'm intrigued, thanks guys!

molljo
April 5th, 2014, 06:38 PM
1.) I condition from about 2/3 of my ears down (does that make any sense? like, where my ear opening level is).
2.) If I apply it any higher, my roots do get more greasy, and conditioner on the scalp makes me shed (I shampoo and condition)
3.) My hair tends to be on the dry side and is very frizz-prone. It's medium mostly but with some finies and coarsies in the mix.
4.) I'm still only at shoulder, after years of pixies and bobs, so I can't answer this one yet!

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 06:43 PM
1) I cleanse and condition in one step, using the CO method. I go right down to the scalp. However, I make certain to rinse everything out very, very well. I actually massage the conditioner into every part of my scalp, let it sit for about 15 - 20 minutes, and then rinse it out, using the pads of my fingers to check that everything is squeaky clean. If my hair isn't feeling quite clean or conditioned enough, I might do a second, shorter application of conditioner, but I also make certain to rinse that out as well.
2) My hair is less oily using the CO method.
3) My hair is fairly frizz prone. It is less frizzy when I CO, however. My hair is medium coarseness over all, but individual hairs vary widely from fine to quite coarse.
4) No, actually my hair has been ridiculously happy overall with the CO method.

Larki
April 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Mine is fine, thin and frizzy. I condition every time I wash my hair (which up until recently was every day, the last week or so I've been getting away with every other day). Normally, I apply conditioner from the ears down. I gather all my hair over one shoulder and apply from earlength to ends. After I've conditioned the length, I do run my hands over the hair on my scalp to hopefully get a little bit of conditioning going on without making it greasy.

I deep condition once a week (same routine as normal conditioner but the conditioner is more intense) and when I do that, I apply it on all of my hair, scalp and all, and rinse heavily. I don't notice it getting oily any faster when I do this, but my hair is very oily anyway (which is why I wash so often).

This probably won't apply to you though, because the reason I feel the need to condition my scalp is because I have trichotillomania, and the new growth needs all the help it can get.

Aderyn
April 5th, 2014, 06:46 PM
1) Somewhere between chin and shoulder. I try to concentrate more on the ends and the higher up my hair, the less conditioner. Back in my pre-LHC days I would go up to ear, though washing less frequently and having generally healthier hair has made that unnecessary.

2) If I go higher up than usual, it does feel a bit oilier faster. Not on the scalp, that's fairly constant, but on the hair that's just a few inches removed from the scalp.

3) My hair is fine and wurly, and I live in a humid enviroment, so I do get some frizz. Not as much frizz as in the past, but a little bit. My hair isn't dry.

4) I've bounced around from BSL-Waist for nearly a decade, and my conditioner needs haven't changed.. I went nearly a year without conditioner and my hair was just lovely, only recently decided to use conditioner again. If I had shorter hair (around shoulder and up), I would consider only using conditioner on the very ends, using a very light conditioner or just doing a co-wash and not a seperate step for conditioner and then just smoothing a tiny bit of oil over my hair when it was damp to combat frizziness.

Weewah
April 5th, 2014, 07:00 PM
1) For those of you that use conditioner to condition (as in, the step after shampoo or co-wash etc) how high up the hair shaft do you apply it? To the roots? To ear level? To chin level? Etc.

As far up as I feel dryness/tangles, maybe like 3-4 inches from the scalp?

2) What happens if you apply it higher up than 'normal'? Does it get oily faster? Does it make no difference?

Well, I do know if I apply it lower than normal, The unconditioned upper parts get frizzier. it might get oily faster if I condition the roots where it isn't needed, I just apply the conditioner based on where I feel like it needs it. Also I wash daily so I can't really tell if something affects how quickly I get oily, because I get greasy pretty quick anyways.

It's dry, damaged and frizzy. Very wavy, fine strands, thick volume.

Can't answer this one because my hair has been the same length pretty much forever.

Seeshami
April 5th, 2014, 09:42 PM
1) how high up the hair shaft do you apply it? To the roots? To ear level? To chin level? Etc.

I condition with straight conditioner all my color modified hair. Some is died, some is lemon lightened and some is henna. My virgin hair is 5 inches or so now.

In the last part of rinsing I will splash watered down run off conditioner over the top of my head.

To much conditioner and not enough water and yes it gets oily.

I am static prone in winter like all people in low humidity. I use monster spray on my hair to combat it.

Yes. The longer it is the more careful I have to be about balancing moisture and protein. My hair is also color treated so it does make the battle harder.

Llama
April 5th, 2014, 10:35 PM
I have to apply conditioner to the roots and the length. If I put conditioner on the length only, I cannot comb through the top half of my hair at all, not even with my fingers.
I have not noticed it getting any more oily than when I skip the conditioner on the top half of my head. I'm not particularly heavy handed with my conditioner either, however.

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 10:38 PM
1) To about ears for most of it, to the roots for my bleached bangs

2) No real difference, it's a little flatter

3) VERY dry at the ends, not frizz prone, fine-ish stands but lots of them

4) I need deep conditioning more often

Jumper
April 5th, 2014, 10:42 PM
1) Roots all the way to tips

2) You can't apply it any higher than I do, lol

3) Coarse, dry, frizzy. I have never seen it look greasy no matter how long I go between washes.

4) I'm still new to this so I'm only at like half an inch longer than when I started, but I imagine the longer my hair gets the more I'll need to condition it.

Nadine <3
April 5th, 2014, 10:58 PM
I condition from my ears down.

I can without getting greasy, but my scalp gets itchy with I condition it.

I have very fine hair that's very prone to dryness. I get a lot of frizz if I comb it to much since I have a slight wave.

Yes, when my hair was shorter it was fine with cone free and CO washing, but as it got longer it started to tangle so I found a condish with light cones for detangling.

Marika
April 6th, 2014, 01:11 AM
1) I condition from shoulder level down unless I CO wash (and that happens maybe twice a year). When my hair was shoulder lengh, I conditioned from ears down. My roots get oily fast.

2) I don't apply conditioner to my roots because I don't like the idea of smothering my scalp. CO wash causes me some shedding and itching even if I use cone-free conditioner.

3) My hair is fine and I never have frizz. Ends are a bit dry but not that bad. I trim very rarely.

4) My conditioning routine has always been the same no matter what length I have. My longest length so far has been tbl+ and this time I plan to grow longer.

There have sometimes been polls "how much you use conditioner" etc. and after reading other people's answers, I always feel like I don't use enough. But if a smaller amount works.. :shrug:

walterSCAN
April 6th, 2014, 06:33 AM

I apply mine up to around ear level, but I start with my ends and work my way up, so I'm putting a lot less on the hair at ear level than gets on the length and especially the ends.

It just feels... weird. I don't like it any higher up, but I don't think it makes my hair any oilier/ get oily faster.

Not very dry at all, and definitely no frizz, as I'm a 1a. My hair is also very fine.

Not really, I don't think. But it's been a long time since I had hair shorter than waist, so I could be misremembering.

Lucky_Lucy
April 6th, 2014, 06:59 AM
1. I CWC, and both times I apply conditioner up to my chin, down the length and only that.

2. Sometimes I go higher up...I think it gets greasy a bit faster, but I've never payed much attention, as I usually just stick to my routine.

3. My hair isn't really dry; my hair is more on the greasy side, but I've noticed that recently it started taking longer until it gets too greasy. It can get a bit frizzy sometimes, but not too noticeable. My hair isn't fine but not coarse either(M).

4. Nope, I don't feel like my conditioner needs have changed. I have gone from ~shoulder to almost waist in two years, and I've been using the same conditioner. If anything, obviously, I need to use more, as I have more hair, so the change is only quantitative for me.

jacqueline101
April 6th, 2014, 07:22 AM
How high do I apply? I apply from ear lobes down.
What happens if you apply it higher up? Don't know never tried it.
How frizzy is my hair? It's not it's fine and straight.
Conditioning needs changed? Yes I started out oiling only then I stopped my hair got where it hated it then I used a leave in conditioner that worked until winter time now it's oil and leave in. On s&d day it's a heavier oil to seal it. Monthly I clarify in that routine I use conditioner. Cholesterol treatment and deep condition. My hair loves it.

Carolyn
April 6th, 2014, 07:47 AM
1. I apply my conditioner roots to tips. I sometimes add a second richer conditioner from about chin level down to the ends. If I didn't apply the conditioner all the way to the roots I wouldn't be able to comb my hair after washing it.

2. It makes no difference.

3. My ends are dry, but my hair is not frizz prone. It's on the finer side.

4. When my hair was short (shoulder to apl) almost any light conditioner would do. Now that it's longer I need a heavier, richer conditioner. My hair eats conditioner.

restless
April 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM

I apply the conditioner up to about chin level.

I cant say Ive tried this other than one time when I tried to CO-wash everything (and ended up with a limp, heavy disaster)

My wavy/wurly fine hair is very frizz prone in humid weather no matter how well its been moisturised (I do deep treatments with coconut oil twice a week and it does wonder for my hair). Its always been like this and I expect no change, its a part of my hair type I guess. As far as I can feel, my hair isnt dry any more as most of it is virgin and hasnt gone through heat and dye like my poor, old ends (last 5-or-so inches).

No, I havent made any changes at all (well, other than the fact that my hip length hair needs slightly more conditioner than my shoulder length hair).

lapushka
April 6th, 2014, 09:11 AM
1) For those of you that use conditioner to [/B][B]condition (as in, the step after shampoo or co-wash etc) how high up the hair shaft do you apply it? To the roots? To ear level? To chin level? Etc.

From ear down. So if you have really short hair, do just the *very* ends.

Grease city!

Quite frizz prone due to its wavy texture. That's why we WCC, then do LOC. It is F.

Yes, the longer, the more conditioner.

ARG
April 6th, 2014, 11:37 AM
I S/C, and I only apply the conditioner up to my shoulder level.

Yeah, my hair gets oily faster than usual.

My hair isn't dry or frizz prone, but definitely tangle prone. Its its f/m.

No, it changed only as I became more hair conscience.

ositarosita
April 6th, 2014, 06:11 PM
After my recent troubles of applying conditioner and my (now shorter!) hair getting greasy quicker, I thought I'd ask you all:

I'm intrigued, thanks guys!

I apply to my roots, the only difference I get when I don't apply as high is volume. My hair doesn't get oily or greasey (never has as I don't produce much sebum) . it is extremely dry and constantly thirsty. No matter what length I'm at my hair ALWAYS wants more moisture so I even use conditioner as my styling product for the moment

Azura
April 6th, 2014, 06:20 PM

I apply it from the ears down.

If I put it too close to my scalp I get really oily hair really fast! Sometimes I will get an itchy scalp, too.

My hair gets quite dry at the ends and it is fine. I would not call my hair frizzy at all.

I've found the longer it gets, the more I need a heavy conditioner. Ones that worked for me at shorter lengths just don't moisturize enough at waist length.

Islandgrrl
April 7th, 2014, 08:09 AM

I'm another CO person. I apply from scalp to ends every time and I rinse well.

I experience no difference. It takes a really long time (longer than a week) for my hair to get oily, and even longer for it to LOOK oily.

My hair has always been dry and prone to frizziness. CO helps with this, but I'm still a frizzball a lot of the time. My hair is pretty medium, but I have very fine hairs and really coarse ones, too. And white, white, white ones that are total hair freaks.

In terms of cleaning my hair or actually conditioning it, no. I just need a lot more of it.