PDA

View Full Version : Why am I suddenly shedding so badly?

Scelesta
April 5th, 2014, 05:18 PM
I pay close attention to my hair, and I dont shed hairs to badly, but i sat down just now and ran my hand through my hair and what felt like a ton of hair was in my hand , probably at least 50-75 strands after a few run throughs, and everytime I run my hand through my hair more come out :( I'm not noticing any weirdness on my scalp or whatnot, just alot more hair then usual being pulled out from just a hand being ran through it.

Maybe i'm just being panicky but this concerns me, I've been under stress the last couple weeks as I started working again and am really not used to it. (or the pain associated with being on my feet all day, its been so bad I cry when I get home from work cause my feet hurt so bad) I'm still taking care of my hair though, I comb it daily, and wash once a week. During the week I keep oil on it 24/7 since it helps keep my hair looking presentable and unlike gels doesnt leave it crunchy or icky feeling.

Should I be concerned? I see my doctor on the 17th so i plan to ask him about it then, but I need something to make me uh not be even more stressed out over it then I am.

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 05:25 PM
@}-`-}-,-'- príobháideach -'-,-{-`-{@

lapushka
April 5th, 2014, 05:36 PM
't Is the season to shed. Seriously. Spring and fall. And the stress probably figures into it, somehow. I wouldn't worry too much.

embee
April 5th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Spring of the year... my cat is shedding. Years ago at this time of year my dog would shed. Kevin and Kell cartoon has been running some shedding threads. :)

Panic is not helpful.

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I've been under a lot of stress too and I do think I'm shedding more (which of course makes the stress worse... vicious cycle, I think so.)

molljo
April 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
I'm going to agree that stress probably has a lot to do with it, although there might also be something to putting lots of oil on a pixie. I was about where you are in length a year ago, and when I overdid it on the oil and it got on my scalp, that did contribute to more shedding. The same thing happened with using conditioner. I had to make myself wait until chin before using it because it was practically impossible for me to use it at that length and not get any on my scalp. My hair didn't look as good, but I wasn't losing as much, either.
Also good on you for going to the doctor to rule out any health problem that could be contributing.

mamaherrera
April 5th, 2014, 05:46 PM
I'm shedding more from postpartum, but what's weird for me is that I shed mostly 6-9 inch hairs, why are the oldest, longest ones not the majority of my shed?? that's what I wonder.

Stormynights
April 5th, 2014, 05:56 PM
If you are crying with your feet you need to take care of that ASAP. Shop for shoes early in the day not after you get off work. I spent a ton of money trying to find comfortable shoes.

swearnsue
April 5th, 2014, 06:29 PM
Sounds like stress and pain. Meditation and medical marijuana would be good.

Hope you feel better soon.

spidermom
April 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM
It is normal to shed up to 100 hairs per day. In late summer/early autumn some years, I shed what looks like piles of hair, although it never looks like less hair on my head. Don't worry; be happy.

Aingeal
April 5th, 2014, 07:26 PM
(((hugs))) I would try to relax about it. I bet its seasonal and stress doesn't help.

Lachrymosa
April 7th, 2014, 10:09 PM
I'm not intending to make you panic by any means, but I'm just throwing this out there in case your shedding problem continues to give you issues...it's worth checking your thyroid at that point. A slow thyroid will make hair shed heavier and faster like 90% of the time and when mine acts up it definitely happens to me. I have both Hashimoto's and Graves Disease so definitely speaking from experience here.

Hope it's only stress though! Good luck.