PDA

View Full Version : Who is this girl?

TheGoddess
April 4th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I know its probably a wig or extensions but this is just so perfect! My hair will never get this long but I want hair that just overwhelms my body I want to look tiny under it!!

http://data2.whicdn.com/images/109605214/large.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/9d/30/9a/9d309ac1dd9d8eb914ea6bc7f96e65c8.jpg

duchess67
April 4th, 2014, 01:46 PM
Wow, she looks like a barbie doll with luscious locks :)

Anje
April 4th, 2014, 01:51 PM
Her arms are kinda scary-thin. Gorgeous hair, though!

ETA: In response to posts further down, I don't mean to criticize natural body type. If that's her natural tendency, great for her. However, I'm concerned about encouraging anorexia (if that's the case). People can be adorable no matter what their body type.

torrilin
April 4th, 2014, 01:59 PM
My understanding is it's tough to get a look longer than tailbone via extensions. And that appears to be roughly knee length hair. If it's not real, it's almost certainly a wig... but it's a long and heavy enough wig that very few women would choose to wear such a thing. And growing to knee is surprisingly realistic for a lot of people. You're typing yourself as M/ii/iii so I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried for knee. And most folks who make it to knee rely on braided buns a lot, so that would boost the appearance of volume worn down.

For me, not so attainable a look tho :D. Being a solid ii and fine means I can't get quite as swamped by hair.

TheGoddess
April 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM
My understanding is it's tough to get a look longer than tailbone via extensions. And that appears to be roughly knee length hair. If it's not real, it's almost certainly a wig... but it's a long and heavy enough wig that very few women would choose to wear such a thing. And growing to knee is surprisingly realistic for a lot of people. You're typing yourself as M/ii/iii so I wouldn't rule it out until you've tried for knee. And most folks who make it to knee rely on braided buns a lot, so that would boost the appearance of volume worn down.

For me, not so attainable a look tho :D. Being a solid ii and fine means I can't get quite as swamped by hair.

of course I can grow knee length hair, but it would take too many years I'd probably be 30 by the time it gets there and I'd be too old to pull of the cute long haired doll look :(

CremeTron
April 4th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Gorgeous!! Always wanted to be teeny with huge hair. More like teeny hair lol Oh well.

I once worked with a girl who was so slender and had a really long, wavy, puffy hair and it really suited her. I was sad that day.. But I was only 17. I accept my own looks now :D

BrendaLoan
April 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Wow, gorgeous hair! I think my length goal is changing again :p Google says her name is Erika Bogoslavskaya

CremeTron
April 4th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Oh yeah. Arms soo skinny it's scary- agree with Anje.

TheGoddess
April 4th, 2014, 02:09 PM
Thank you so much!!!! *hugs*

ETA: am i the only one who loves her arms, she's so tiny its not like gross tiny either because she doesn't have bones sticking out

SkyChild
April 4th, 2014, 02:18 PM
She's so cute ^^
I have the height to be swamped by my hair, if it gets to that length. But not the physique.

torrilin
April 4th, 2014, 02:25 PM
of course I can grow knee length hair, but it would take too many years I'd probably be 30 by the time it gets there and I'd be too old to pull of the cute long haired doll look :(

Trust me, you can still be cute at 30 :D. Been there, done that. And ridiculously long hair is remarkably timeless and classic as a look, probably because it requires so much discipline. So if you're dying to look awesome at 30, definitely stick with long.

That said, you don't have the super variable ashy brown/blonde hair of the girl you posted. So you're more likely to wind up looking gothy or Victorian than like a conventionally pretty doll. If you like goth looks, might as well embrace what nature gave you :D.

cathair
April 4th, 2014, 02:27 PM
Her arms are her arms, she may or may not have any control over the circumstance of them. I'm not sure it's very nice or kind to point that out (I have been on the receiving end of that comment before and it felt really bad). Would you say 'my god, her arms are scary fat?' to someone?

Her hair length looks believable but if all that thickness is her own then I am just absolutely stunned. I agree it is hard to get extensions longer than tailbone, because standard loose hair doesn't come long enough do it. But I wouldn't have thought it was impossible.

Stormynights
April 4th, 2014, 02:30 PM
She is beautiful.

AmberMuffinz
April 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
Wow, gorgeous. I can't imagine all the work that must go into her hair!

Also, I agree with cathair - I don't understand why people feel the need to say things like that "scary thin"? Really? I'm naturally very thin and people I work with make fun of my arms all the time for being so small. It's not nice at all and I resent it. People are people, who cares what their body type is?

Anje
April 4th, 2014, 02:37 PM
Her arms are her arms, she may or may not have any control over the circumstance of them. I'm not sure it's nice to point that out (I have been on the receiving end of that comment before and it felt really bad). Would you say 'my god, her arms are scary fat?' to someone?.
That's valid. My initial impression was that it looked likely that she might be anorexic, and while she's adorable I don't want to encourage disordered eating. If she's just naturally that thin, it's all good.

lapushka
April 4th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Her arms are her arms, she may or may not have any control over the circumstance of them. I'm not sure it's very nice or kind to point that out (I have been on the receiving end of that comment before and it felt really bad). Would you say 'my god, her arms are scary fat?' to someone?

I think people mean in the sense of "impending eating disorder" - thin.

cathair
April 4th, 2014, 02:51 PM
That's valid. My initial impression was that it looked likely that she might be anorexic, and while she's adorable I don't want to encourage disordered eating. If she's just naturally that thin, it's all good.

Thanks for hearing me out I appreciate it. I am sorry if that came across a little harsh. I just know from experience you don't have to have an eating disorder to be that thin and sometimes people don't realise that and say things they don't know can be hurtful.

Someone said that to be towards the end of last year when I was at my heaviest ever weight and I was wobbly about the comment for a few weeks, even though I knew I was nothing like as thin as I was. You never know if she will end up reading this.

Scarlet_Heart
April 4th, 2014, 03:11 PM
If that's her real hair, then she's not anorexic. But, proportionally there is a lot that's off about the pictures. I suspect they are manipulated.

ooglipoo
April 4th, 2014, 03:18 PM
If that's her real hair, then she's not anorexic. But, proportionally there is a lot that's off about the pictures. I suspect they are manipulated. :yes: I'd bet the hair has been photoshopped. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but, that looks altered to me.

MadeiraD
April 4th, 2014, 03:34 PM
I'm too tall to ever really be overwhelmed by hair.

FireFromWithin
April 4th, 2014, 03:35 PM
The arms are also probably partly due to the angle of the photo. I imagine the models know all the poses that make them look smaller!

Autumn_Fairy
April 4th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Just some food for thought, if that is her real hair and she has an ed, how in the world did it grow so long, thick, and healthy? Isn't hair very closely linked to our physical health? I also second the photo angle possibility. Its also common for some young girls to take a long time to fill out. I see this frequently in guys. Heck, my brother is nearly 30, eats like a hungry bear out of hibernation everyday and is unbelievably skinny. genetics can work both ways with the weight issue but it seems we all feel more comfortable criticizing the too-skinny than the too-overweight. I say, unless one is a close personal friend its hardly any of our business either way about someone's health and weight unless they ask for advice, but still a curious thing that every one is so voluntarily hush about overweight but not under.

swearnsue
April 4th, 2014, 04:18 PM
She doesn't have enough muscle in her arms to even brush her hair.

You know you're a longhair when: you're hair weighs more than you do.

MadeiraD
April 4th, 2014, 04:31 PM
https://www.facebook.com/keep.calm.and.stay.on.pointe/photos
There's her facebook, I suspect it's a wig based on the way the part looks

http://lifeinplastic21.tumblr.com/ericabogoslavskaya okay definitely a wig.

Tini'sNewHair
April 4th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Shes so pretty!

Nae
April 4th, 2014, 04:49 PM
After seeing her facebook page her arm size looks much more natural. That first link must have an odd angle or something because her arms look super thin but it doesn't seem to be quite so in the other photos. Weird.

She is quite pretty and her hair is a lovely length but it is definitely a wig albeit a pretty one. Although I can think of a few LHCers who are capable of such length (along with the corresponding thickness.) I just wish I was one of them!!

cathair
April 4th, 2014, 05:01 PM
The more I look at her pictures the more I think wig too. I think her eyes are photoshopped also. They are bigger set in her adult (?) face than they are in her child face:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/382586_125355497670567_2027652199_n.jpg

MadeiraD
April 4th, 2014, 05:04 PM
It's partially photoshop, partially makeup and partially circle lenses, I used to do that look when I was younger

cathair
April 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
It's partially photoshop, partially makeup and partially circle lenses, I used to do that look when I was younger

That's really interesting, I've never heard of circle lenses before.

Danu
April 4th, 2014, 05:32 PM
@}-`-}-,-'- príobháideach -'-,-{-`-{@

MandyBeth
April 4th, 2014, 06:19 PM
It's a wig. But, both of the two young women who are mentioned on her tumblr have published pretty dangerous eating habits. Photos are photochopped, but I'm not on the side of anything about her is exactly healthy. It's all blatantly fake and/or dangerous.

roseomalley
April 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM
I believe she is part of the living doll movement. Many use wigs, doll-like make-up and plastic surgery. (I am not saying this girls has had plastic surgery.) After looking at more photos on the net, I truly believe she is wearing a wig.

Kherome
April 4th, 2014, 06:23 PM
I'm too tall to ever really be overwhelmed by hair.

Me too

Larki
April 4th, 2014, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm short enough to look swamped if my hair is very long, which according to some people is bad, but I have really broad shoulders, so...plus, my hair is fine and thin.

Weewah
April 4th, 2014, 07:49 PM
That's cute! I'd totally go for a look like that even though it's completely shopped/fake.

HazelBug
April 4th, 2014, 08:15 PM
She looks like she is really into dolly kei. The photos are most likely shopped some. It does look like a wig, but a really pretty one. It appears she is wearing circle lenses as well. She does seem pretty slender. But it doesn't look abnormal on her. If I were that slim I wouldn't look right in my face because I'm built a bit differently. Some people are just natrually small.

I think she looks adorable.

Also, I will be 30ish by the time my hair gets to my dream length. I don't think looking cute has to end at 30.

Arwenlily
April 4th, 2014, 09:02 PM
I'm sorry but what is going on there is not healthy in any way. Sounds like a disorder to me, to be honest.

TheGoddess
April 4th, 2014, 10:03 PM
She doesn't have enough muscle in her arms to even brush her hair.

You know you're a longhair when: you're hair weighs more than you do.

Thats the look Im going for!

TheGoddess
April 4th, 2014, 10:05 PM
The more I look at her pictures the more I think wig too. I think her eyes are photoshopped also. They are bigger set in her adult (?) face than they are in her child face:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/t1.0-9/382586_125355497670567_2027652199_n.jpg

she's wearing circle lenses I wanna get some ^_^

She looks like she is really into dolly kei. The photos are most likely shopped some. It does look like a wig, but a really pretty one. It appears she is wearing circle lenses as well. She does seem pretty slender. But it doesn't look abnormal on her. If I were that slim I wouldn't look right in my face because I'm built a bit differently. Some people are just natrually small.

I think she looks adorable.

Also, I will be 30ish by the time my hair gets to my dream length. I don't think looking cute has to end at 30.

I hope not but my face is thinning out and Im only 20 :( I can only imagine how bad I will look at 30 I don't want to be the girl that people look at and say "ew she's too old for hair that long does she actually think she looks good" I really hope I age well so that doesn't happen!

TheHowlingWolf
April 4th, 2014, 11:50 PM
Even if it is a wig, I think my GL has changed after seeing pictures of her "hair"! lol

Andeee
April 5th, 2014, 12:18 AM
Dude. Brutal. :laugh: I'm feeling wounded, for us over-thirties. :p
And us over 40s! Trust me you can look like a cute doll at 30 and even 35 depending on your genes--like someone previously said, been there, done that.

dafox
April 5th, 2014, 12:29 AM
I think we should just not comment on people's body types at all. It would be one thing if people were in this thread asking about how to get arms as skinny as hers, but no one was asking that. In fact, the only people who said anything about her arms are the ones who were suggesting she has an ED. Whether she has an eating disorder or it's her natural body type, why sit here discussing it? If she were in a wheelchair, would you sit around debating her handicap?

Marika
April 5th, 2014, 01:26 AM
I agree, we really shouldn't comment on people's body types but this girl is obviously part of the living doll movement which embodies very unhealthy and unrealistic beauty.

And yes, you can look like a cute doll even if you are over 30. I look like a 8-year old if I wear pigtails (and I'm 30+)! :p But then again, why would I want to look like a doll. Wouldn't it be weird if I dressed like a doll and breastfed my baby at the same time? :disgust:

LadyCelestina
April 5th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Cuties,this thread is about to go into a nice shroom shaped explosion once we realize she might be an LHC member,because you know,from looking at her hair,she might as well be :D

Wosie
April 5th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Just a thought that came to me--Isn't it uncommon to be able to have really long, thick hair when one is very thin? I don't think I've ever seen this happen.
You must have really good hair genes for this to occur, I guess, as the hair is secondary to the bodily functions and if you eat very little the hair is the least of the body's concerns.
Then again, some people eat a lot and are still thin. :hmm:

And yes, she's a part of the living doll movement, so there's not much use in assuming all her body parts are genuine in the pictures. They (the pics) are more or less photoshopped or tampered with in other ways (angles, etc), to make it look more unreal and doll-like. :agree:

dafox
April 5th, 2014, 03:28 AM
It's uncommon because it's uncommon to be very thin and healthy. Even people who claim to be naturally thin may be being dishonest with themselves or others. However, though uncommon, it does occur. I used to know a girl who was probably about as thin as this one, but she ate a very healthy and rich diet. Her hair was about mid back length, but it was very beautiful, thick and glossy. So it doesn't do much use to sit and debate whether she's healthy or not.

Anyway, I googled her name, and the consensus is that it's extensions. Compare her old Model Mayhem (http://www.modelmayhem.com/2351745) with some of these pictures, (http://lifeinplastic21.tumblr.com/ericabogoslavskaya) and you can clearly see the contrast between her real hair and her extensions.

Wosie
April 5th, 2014, 03:41 AM
I have been very thin myself, and now when I think about it, my hair appeared thick but I never measured its circumference back then. It wasn't very long either, around APL length, so maybe its growth was slow and my terminal length would've been shorter due to the lack of eating.

Either way, it's a beautiful wig (!), makes me dream of having knee length hair even though I have a hard time believing my ends would look half as nice that long (at least the colour's similar). :cloud9:

Jumper
April 5th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Hmmm. A whole group of people who want to look literally like dolls...

You learn something new every day.

Flor
April 5th, 2014, 04:28 AM
she's wearing circle lenses I wanna get some ^_^

I hope not but my face is thinning out and Im only 20 :( I can only imagine how bad I will look at 30 I don't want to be the girl that people look at and say "ew she's too old for hair that long does she actually think she looks good" I really hope I age well so that doesn't happen!

Then buy the lenses and the wig. You can look as fake as her right now, don't have to wait till you're 30.

Alternatively, you may consider learning not to care about how others perceive you and also how not to make generalized remarks about other people's appearances/age yourself. But hey, it's your choice.

threadOfGold
April 5th, 2014, 05:11 AM
On the topic of being swamped by hair, has anyone ever commented that your hair is too long for your height, or people have told you not to grow your hair because it'll make you look even shorter? At sixteen I'm 5'3, so I was probably tiny when I was younger and I had just over tailbone length hair and I think people commented on it a lot. And I think it's such a rude thing to say, as if smaller people aren't allowed to grow their hair. Annoying critical people get to me!

And I just wanted to add that I am naturally slim and healthy. I'm not stick thin, but I'm slim and it's due to my fast metabolism. I'm just petite in general and I'd hate for people to just assume that I'm not healthy :(

Scarlet_Heart
April 5th, 2014, 06:15 AM
I agree that we don't need to make a federal case out of her body. Everyone has different body types and even people with an ED don't need to be publicly condemned for it. The one thing that does really bother me is the whole Lolita/sexy little girl thing. It gives me the heebies. I mean, everyone has the right to dress how they want. Doesn't make me any less uncomfortable.

höpönasu
April 5th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Brr, those pictures when she was 'Barbie'. Looks scary. And I read about that other real life Barbie, I think she was called Valerie something. last thing I read about her was her going on a diet of oxygen and Sun light. :rolleyes:

chen bao jun
April 5th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Interesting thread.
As someone who used to have an eating disorder, I think it is fine to point out in real life when you know someone to their parents, for instance that they are getting scary thin. Yes, there are naturally very slender women (and I know a couple of them)so I know its true that they can take abuse for it, from envious people and that's not right. However, naturally very slender women have a different look from eating disorder thin. they tend to look small-boned and as if their bodies are 'right' for them. Eating disorder thin tend to look as if their bones are too big for their bodies, there is a strange look around their collarbones, but I wouldn't even go by that as its possible someone has been ill or something and lost weight without wanting to. I don't think you can really tell with someone you don't know and definitely not from an internet photo. However, when you see a girl go from normal weight down to bones and she also has very strange eating habits suddenly (a lot of them right now claim to be 'gluten free' which is important for celiacs or sensitive people but its also a great way to disguise not eating anything, since gluten is in so much), I'd go on high alert and yes I'd say something. People die from this.
'Scary thin' might not be the most tactful way to have put it, but I'd see a problem with MOST girls taking this size as an ideal or a role model because most do not have this body type naturally and would have to starve to get down to it. I don't think it's unreasonable to give a warning, even if not phrased to make everybody completely happy. Sometimes the truth is unpalatable to people's feelings, I'd go with the truth anyway.
My first thought when I saw the girl was that's not a real person, that's CG generated. And anytime I hear 'alteration' I get worried. If its just contacts, makeup and posing in certain ways and photoshopping, that's just fine. Plastic surgery--bad, bad, bad. Plastic surgery was meant for war casualties, burn victims and car accident victims, its wonderful technology to help people live normal lives. Also, people with harelips (I forget the politically correct term) and so forth. It's stupid to do for any unnecessary reason. Look it up. Not counting the many horrid things that will happen to your body (often not right way, women who have breast implants are usually happy with them the first 5-7 years, but talk to them 10 or 12 years later, when their health is destroyed, not so much), even just going under anesthesia unnecessarily is a truly bad idea. People die. Look this up.
As for not being able to be cute at 30, absurd. I am 57 and 'cute' is the number one word people use to describe me (rather to my annoyance at this point). I've got a round baby face, always did, and a bunch of pouffy curly hair. I probably always will. People actually come up to me and pinch my cheeks. Seriously.
don't worry about what you will look like when older, just keep in good health and occupy yourself with improving your mind, that's what keeps you interesting to people.

torrilin
April 5th, 2014, 07:54 AM

It does look like your face is naturally a fairly oval shape. And yeah, if you want a rounded, doll like look, that would not be ideal. That doesn't make you ugly tho.

And seriously, you're at hip. It's not gonna take 10 years to get from hip to knee unless you trim a lot. Eat healthy. Take good care of your body, do your best to appreciate what it is. It's not ever gonna be your idea of perfect... but that doesn't mean it's a bad body. It's the only one you've got. I have a rather round face, paired with everything else being round. My face might work for the doll like looks you enjoy, even when I'm 40... but the rest of me never would. Too much muscle, big broad swimmer's shoulders, nice strong legs for biking up big hills. It's not a bad body, and given my physical disabilities and how much athletic stuff I like to do, I really can't complain. And for all the issues with my leg bones, and for all that my legs are ridiculously short for my frame, my legs *look* awesome.

I'd really recommend learning to appreciate other styles and ways of being beautiful. It feels and sounds as if you think only a very particular look is attractive. And there are a lot of different ways to look good. I'm not saying you have to love every bit of your body. But life sucks a lot less if you can find at least one thing about yourself that you like. For a lot of us, that's our long hair, or long hair was a gateway to finding something. But that isn't the only way.

embee
April 5th, 2014, 08:07 AM
I know a young woman with eyes like that - she's a healthy young mother of two charming kids. The first thing I noticed about her was those *eyes*! They looked fake, but they were her very own, not enhanced in any way. Amazing.

The hair on the doll of this thread is probably my dream hair, but never to be - not with my lack of thickness and stick straight now sprinkled with gray. Oh well. ;)

Lady Mary
April 5th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Well, even though it's probably not her hair, it does look really cute. I'd love to have that much hair.

Unofficial_Rose
April 5th, 2014, 08:57 AM
Brr, those pictures when she was 'Barbie'. Looks scary. And I read about that other real life Barbie, I think she was called Valerie something. last thing I read about her was her going on a diet of oxygen and Sun light. :rolleyes:

Glad it's not just me...

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Her hair looks gorgeous in the first picture, so thick and full.

Her arms are kinda scary-thin. Gorgeous hair, though!

ETA: In response to posts further down, I don't mean to criticize natural body type. If that's her natural tendency, great for her. However, I'm concerned about encouraging anorexia (if that's the case). People can be adorable no matter what their body type.

Aside from being just plain nasty, these comments are so patronising - funny how she is seen as scary-skinny until it's pointed out that she could naturally be that slim, and then all of a sudden, oh she's adorable, it's all good! Ugh. I think it is disgusting to basically say that looks like she has an eating disorder. Horrible and unnecessary. I mean, this thread was about her hair for goodness sake.

ETA: Just read some of the other nasty things written about her weight in this thread. Seriously, some people need to stop bitching about OTHER PEOPLE'S BODIES. GET OVER IT. So many members here moan and get upset about how others have criticized them and made nasty comments about their hair, and here you (general you) are, doing the exact same thing about someone's body. It's ridiculous how a nice thread (praising someone's wonderful hair) has turned into a thread bashing how awful she looks. If she was on the fuller side in regards to weight, would you all slate her for that too? Doubt it ..

pinchbeck
April 5th, 2014, 11:20 AM
The skinny arm comments bothered me too. People come in all sort of frame sizes and she happens to be small-framed. If she was sick her face would be gaunt, and it isn't.

It is clear in the images where the back of her hair is showing that there is a colour contrast between her brown hair and the wig she is wearing. But the goal here is to look like a doll and that has been achieved. She is young - why not have fun?

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Interesting thread.o
As someone who used to have an eating disorder, I think it is fine to point out in real life when you know someone to their parents, for instance that they are getting scary thin. Yes, there are naturally very slender women (and I know a couple of them)so I know its true that they can take abuse for it, from envious people and that's not right. However, naturally very slender women have a different look from eating disorder thin. they tend to look small-boned and as if their bodies are 'right' for them. Eating disorder thin tend to look as if their bones are too big for their bodies, there is a strange look around their collarbones, but I wouldn't even go by that as its possible someone has been ill or something and lost weight without wanting to. I don't think you can really tell with someone you don't know and definitely not from an internet photo. However, when you see a girl go from normal weight down to bones and she also has very strange eating habits suddenly (a lot of them right now claim to be 'gluten free' which is important for celiacs or sensitive people but its also a great way to disguise not eating anything, since gluten is in so much), I'd go on high alert and yes I'd say something. People die from this.
'Scary thin' might not be the most tactful way to have put it, but I'd see a problem with MOST girls taking this size as an ideal or a role model because most do not have this body type naturally and would have to starve to get down to it. I don't think it's unreasonable to give a warning, even if not phrased to make everybody completely happy. Sometimes the truth is unpalatable to people's feelings, I'd go with the truth anyway.
My first thought when I saw the girl was that's not a real person, that's CG generated. And anytime I hear 'alteration' I get worried. If its just contacts, makeup and posing in certain ways and photoshopping, that's just fine. Plastic surgery--bad, bad, bad. Plastic surgery was meant for war casualties, burn victims and car accident victims, its wonderful technology to help people live normal lives. Also, people with harelips (I forget the politically correct term) and so forth. It's stupid to do for any unnecessary reason. Look it up. Not counting the many horrid things that will happen to your body (often not right way, women who have breast implants are usually happy with them the first 5-7 years, but talk to them 10 or 12 years later, when their health is destroyed, not so much), even just going under anesthesia unnecessarily is a truly bad idea. People die. Look this up.
As for not being able to be cute at 30, absurd. I am 57 and 'cute' is the number one word people use to describe me (rather to my annoyance at this point). I've got a round baby face, always did, and a bunch of pouffy curly hair. I probably always will. People actually come up to me and pinch my cheeks. Seriously.
don't worry about what you will look like when older, just keep in good health and occupy yourself with improving your mind, that's what keeps you interesting to people.

That isn't really the point though. This thread was about the girl's hair - not her body, not her weight, her hair The comments about her body were completely unnecessary. There was no need for her skinny-ness to be brought up, discussed and insulted.

Kaelee
April 5th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Am I the only one who thinks those pictures are actually photoshopped? I have never, ever in my life seen someone with arms that thin. Something about their shape is off as well. That's not to say there's something wrong with HER, but I think they've thinned out the arms in the images to ramp up the "doll" appearance.

sumidha
April 5th, 2014, 12:00 PM
As someone else has already pointed out earlier in the thread, most of those photos have been shopped and digitally altered in some way. They are not real. It's not an accurate representation of what that girl actually looks like, it's her fantasy of being a living doll.

She seems to have invested in a quality wig, possibly extensions and grown her own hair out some as well? I doubt I would ever spend that much money on a fashion look, but I'm not going to lie, the idea of having super thick knee length hair that I can wear down and then take off my head at the end of the day is totally appealing to me. I wonder how much she spends a year on various different hairstyles?

I've been tall pretty much my whole life, so while the tiny pixie aesthetic is totally appealing to me, even as a teen I knew better than to try and pull it off. I'll have to console myself by wandering mysteriously through the forests in a long flowing gown while not being overwhelmed by my epically long hair a la Tolkien elf instead. :D

ooglipoo
April 5th, 2014, 12:06 PM
But the size and shape of her arms/body does correlate to hair. Unhealthy size from eating disorder often will stop healthy bodily functions, like menstruation and hair growth. So, when someone looks "scary" thin, it's valid to look at their hair for indicators of healthiness...

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 12:20 PM
But the size and shape of her arms/body does correlate to hair. Unhealthy size from eating disorder often will stop healthy bodily functions, like menstruation and hair growth. So, when someone looks "scary" thin, it's valid to look at their hair for indicators of healthiness...

Sorry but that justification is utter nonsense. For a start, her hair doesn't show any sign of ill-health, so why have so many members taken it upon themselves to analyse her body?

I find it hard to believe the skinny bashing comments are mothing more than malicious bitching.

ooglipoo
April 5th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Well, it's not her hair!

And I agree with you that she didn't ask for an analysis, but those pics are on the internet, where anyone and everyone can see them. If you do that, you kind of have to expect to see a wide spectrum of reactions...

It seems natural to me. What Anje said was my first reaction, too. :shrug:

And I think her arms are photoshopped, along with her hair.

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 12:43 PM
Am I the only one who finds the whole Human Doll look beyond creepy? I have never been fond of dolls to begin with...

ooglipoo
April 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
No, you're not alone. Kinda freaks me out a bit, too. But, to each their own. At least they aren't dressing like clowns!

Marika
April 5th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Talking about bashing... That girl isn't actually any better herself! :p Her whole blog is about bashing that other living doll!

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM
I would honestly prefer clowns. Dolls have always given me the willies.

No, you're not alone. Kinda freaks me out a bit, too. But, to each their own. At least they aren't dressing like clowns!

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Well, it's not her hair!

And I agree with you that she didn't ask for an analysis, but those pics are on the internet, where anyone and everyone can see them. If you do that, you kind of have to expect to see a wide spectrum of reactions...

It seems natural to me. What Anje said was my first reaction, too. :shrug:

And I think her arms are photoshopped, along with her hair.

Unless you personally knew her/researched her, you wouldn't know her hair wasn't real or whatever, so my point still stands. There is no reason to look at her hair and then start insulting her body. To slag her off just because she has pictures online is just pathetic.

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Unless you personally knew her/researched her, you wouldn't know her hair wasn't real or whatever, so my point still stands. There is no reason to look at her hair and then start insulting her body. To slag her off just because she has pictures online is just pathetic.

Not going to bash on her body, but after researching her I am 100% certain that that is a wig.

ravenheather
April 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
I have to say I also find the whole "doll thing" really creepy. What's wrong with just being a person?

molljo
April 5th, 2014, 01:17 PM
The entire Living Doll subculture is about creating images through makeup, plastic surgery, photoshop, and other trickery that blur the line between reality and fantasy. That's the entire point. While I understand why many people are disturbed by her apparent body, she's meant to appear unnatural. It's absolutely fruitless to debate whether such and such is "real", because it almost certainly isn't. It's about images, not real human bodies.

And I agree that we shouldn't critique the bodies of others, as it's none of our business. I've seen a very wide variety of body types on this very forum, and the only result I can foresee from discussing bodies is a bunch of angry and hurt people on what should be a supportive forum.

sumidha
April 5th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Well said, molljo. :heartbeat

höpönasu
April 5th, 2014, 01:29 PM
As this has gone ot I'll bring something up too... I couldn't find the whole episode of this document as I just remembered it and flew to YouTube to search. Women dressing up as dolls is not anywhere near scary as men dressing up as dolls is. I'm NOT judging them, everyone can do whatever they want and that's fine for me. But I'm absolutely horrified by the look of that doll mask. I would literally poo myself if someone dressed up like that would show up on my door. Something I'd like to try and even more see live is cosplay as I like to play and watch video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6o2cMaT_M

ositarosita
April 5th, 2014, 01:45 PM
Her name is erika bogoslavskaya

https://www.youtube.com/user/erikabogoslavskaya - her youtube channel

Scarlet_Heart
April 5th, 2014, 01:48 PM
As this has gone ot I'll bring something up too... I couldn't find the whole episode of this document as I just remembered it and flew to YouTube to search. Women dressing up as dolls is not anywhere near scary as men dressing up as dolls is. I'm NOT judging them, everyone can do whatever they want and that's fine for me. But I'm absolutely horrified by the look of that doll mask. I would literally poo myself if someone dressed up like that would show up on my door. Something I'd like to try and even more see live is cosplay as I like to play and watch video games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP6o2cMaT_M

I hope this doesn't sound patronizing, but I find that more fascinating than scary. I'm always really intrigued by people who are counter-culture and their reasons for pursuing these interests and lifestyles. Is it for attention; is it an identity issue? So many questions and I like looking at something that is different from what you see every day and going :hmm:. It might seem hypocritical, then, for me to say I find the Lolita thing creepy. She may call it "living doll" but it looks more to me like "sexy little girl" which skeevs me out. I guess because I see the doll mask guy(? - I watched it without sound) as rather harmless and the Lolita thing as more potentially dangerous and off-putting.

lapushka
April 5th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I have to say I also find the whole "doll thing" really creepy. What's wrong with just being a person?

Yes, the eyes, the child-like appearance, blèh everything combined is just... no.

Skade
April 5th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Another one that´s not so fond of this. It just makes me think, what are we doing to our kids? What kinds of signals does these barbies and brat dolls give to our daughters? Why would we teach them that they need to alter their appearance through surgery, photoshop, makeup etc to look like something like this.. It just makes me sad and worried about the future youths self esteem.

TheGoddess
April 5th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Then buy the lenses and the wig. You can look as fake as her right now, don't have to wait till you're 30.

Alternatively, you may consider learning not to care about how others perceive you and also how not to make generalized remarks about other people's appearances/age yourself. But hey, it's your choice.

Did I make generalizations about people over 30?...no I said specifically that MY face is thinning out and that by the way Im aging now I don't think I will look good at 30. Im not trying to be fake thats why Im growing my hair out, I want circle lenses for cosplay. Stop being a bitch it's unattractive

Scarlet_Heart
April 5th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Uh oh.

TheGoddess you haven't been here long and I suggest you take some time to get a feel for the rules of posting here and the general vibe of this community. Your last statement is uncalled for. You would be wise to consider that when you call someone a derogatory name like that, you say little about the other person, but lots about yourself.

jeanniet
April 5th, 2014, 02:45 PM
If you don't like a post, report it.

I do find the level of alteration in the photos somewhat alarming. It may be obvious to us that there's been some manipulation to give her a certain "look," but to young girls it's probably much less obvious. sarahthegemini, while I see your point, modeling photos are not natural. They're always enhanced in some way. So whether or not it's her real hair or body or whatever is somewhat immaterial, because something has been altered, and that's provding a representation that isn't real. A naturally slender woman is one thing; a naturally slender woman whose image has been airbrushed/photoshopped, shot through filters, with special lighting, etc. is something else.

TheGoddess
April 5th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I make a forum wanting to share with you all some photos of a pretty girl's hair that I admire and then people say well why don't you grow your hair out like that if you want it so bad...so I say because It would take too long and I don't look as good as that girl in the photos, so Im not going to try to become someone Im not, for some reason you all assume that Im talking about all people over 30 (um no, everyones different I'm not making generalizations)???? I hate when people get offended and Im not even talking about them. Im not gonna sit here and let people bully me

Autumn_Fairy
April 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM
dude, this has turned into a lot of negativity and petty fighting. I don't think anyone is going to come to a general consensus here. But I have to put this out there:

we ALL try to look like something we are not. ALL of us, even men. Culture dictates certain appearances and we have to look a certain way depending on our lifestyles. Media will always be there to add to the expectations. Ever since mankind became "civilized" people have tried to alter their appearance to impresse or fit standards. Its not "what we are doing to our girls/kids today" as some of you say, its what we have always done. Girls have been forced to do things unbelievably unhealthy throughout history (such as wearing small shoes to keep feet small, and corsets made them feel frequently faint and passing out). Body modification in general is common throughout the world and some of it may or may not be healthy). This is not something new of today as some of you make it out to be. Females usually get the worst of it, but everyone is affected to some degree. At least this girl is making her own choices rather than family physically forcing her into something unhealthy to fit social standards. Id say thats a step up.

Let's just all live and let live. the great thing about today's world is that there is more room freedom of expression. If a girl wants to look like a doll, let her have her fun fantasy while she can. She will likely out grow it and even if she doesn't, so what. If she's happy, then she's happy. Let it go.

Scarlet_Heart
April 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM
For what it's worth, the bolded is what I was talking about.

Did I make generalizations about people over 30?...no I said specifically that MY face is thinning out and that by the way Im aging now I don't think I will look good at 30. Im not trying to be fake thats why Im growing my hair out, I want circle lenses for cosplay. Stop being a bitch it's unattractive

TheGoddess
April 5th, 2014, 02:54 PM
and 'bitch' isn't that bad of a word I call myself a bitch sometimes. I could have used something else but I figured Id keep it light.

divinedobbie
April 5th, 2014, 03:02 PM
Let's all agree to disagree. Everyone is an individual and that's what makes us unique and beautiful.

Group huge everyone? :grouphug:

Autumn_Fairy
April 5th, 2014, 03:18 PM
^^ this :flower:

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Actually, the perfect example of someone who has completely internalized the unhealthy messages of our culture is someone who does it willingly, without being forced by society or parents. I see it is a huge step down.

dude, this has turned into a lot of negativity and petty fighting. I don't think anyone is going to come to a general consensus here. But I have to put this out there:

we ALL try to look like something we are not. ALL of us, even men. Culture dictates certain appearances and we have to look a certain way depending on our lifestyles. Media will always be there to add to the expectations. Ever since mankind became "civilized" people have tried to alter their appearance to impresse or fit standards. Its not "what we are doing to our girls/kids today" as some of you say, its what we have always done. Girls have been forced to do things unbelievably unhealthy throughout history (such as wearing small shoes to keep feet small, and corsets made them feel frequently faint and passing out). Body modification in general is common throughout the world and some of it may or may not be healthy). This is not something new of today as some of you make it out to be. Females usually get the worst of it, but everyone is affected to some degree. At least this girl is making her own choices rather than family physically forcing her into something unhealthy to fit social standards. Id say thats a step up.

Let's just all live and let live. the great thing about today's world is that there is more room freedom of expression. If a girl wants to look like a doll, let her have her fun fantasy while she can. She will likely out grow it and even if she doesn't, so what. If she's happy, then she's happy. Let it go.

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I think this thread should be closed/deleted tbh ...

ooglipoo
April 5th, 2014, 04:04 PM
:cheese: anyone?

MissCharizard
April 5th, 2014, 04:05 PM
She is definitely a "living doll" and I suspect it is a wig after looking at a few pictures... I do like the dolly look though.

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 04:10 PM
:cheese: anyone?

Will there be crackers to accompany the cheese?

ooglipoo
April 5th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Yes. And chocolate. Lots of cheese and chocolate.

TheGoddess
April 5th, 2014, 04:18 PM
I think this thread should be closed/deleted tbh ...

*rolls eyes* the thread shouldn't be deleted...people need to learn how to not argue over stupid stuff like photoshop...who gives a crap if she photoshops her photos I'm sure 90% of the photos on the internet are photoshopped. Im sure half the people who are complaining about how fake she is admire their little Lord of the ring fairy characters who wear even crappier hair extensions.

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Yes. And chocolate. Lots of cheese and chocolate.

CHOCOLATE CHEESECAKE :cheer:

MadeiraD
April 5th, 2014, 04:36 PM
Maybe we could all just be nice about each other's hair idols, and gentle about women's bodies?

If she has an eating disorder, I hope she recovers, because those things are horrible to live with. If she's just thin, well that's fine, and if it's photoshop, well good for her for enjoying creative self expression.

I wish there wasn't the focus on hyper thinness in the living doll community. Creative style is wonderful, seeing people damage their health for it makes me sad. I certainly enjoy artifice myself, and understand the appeal but I do want young women to have a greater variety of models of what can be beautiful, and I believe that bodily autonomy and the ability to look as you please is very important.

If someone loves LOTR well, good for them as well, they're a lovely series of movies, and a wonderful set of books, and New Zealand is a lovely country (I married a gent from there).

Natural or not, her look is pretty cool, though the competitiveness in that world also makes me sad. I don't like to see women bashing each other's looks.

In short: "I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy"

Arwenlily
April 5th, 2014, 04:39 PM
*rolls eyes* the thread shouldn't be deleted...people need to learn how to not argue over stupid stuff like photoshop...who gives a crap if she photoshops her photos I'm sure 90% of the photos on the internet are photoshopped. Im sure half the people who are complaining about how fake she is admire their little Lord of the ring fairy characters who wear even crappier hair extensions.

Well yeah, because those are movie characters, real-life people who modify their bodies to appear a certain way is completely different.

sumidha
April 5th, 2014, 05:22 PM
I always find it interesting where each individual draws the line for 'acceptable' emulation of cultural (or subcultural, in the case of living dolls) beauty ideals. I think the main point is that most of the time it's a matter of subjective opinion. What squicks one person out might be normal or even desirable for another, the problem is when you start making statements about individuals, instead of the general subject.

For example, "Ew, her arms are gross skinny." is not a kind or constructive remark. "I'm really uncomfortable with the beauty ideals in the real doll community when they are taken to an extreme, and their potential unhealthy effect on young girls." Is a statement that expresses the same sentiment in a way that opens the subject for constructive dialogue.

ravenheather
April 5th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I would also like to point out that name calling is not constructive dialogue either.

Aderyn
April 5th, 2014, 05:24 PM
I'm sure half the people who are complaining about how fake she is admire their little Lord of the ring fairy characters who wear even crappier hair extensions.

Wow. Sounds like you're getting a bit defensive here, and there's no need to attack other people.

Sure, the actors and actresses portraying the hair in LotR wore extensions and wigs, though to be fair, that was no where near as flamboyantly fake as this person is (mind you, one of them goes around in real life like that, the others - it's just a movie). They're not putting on absurdly thick wigs and wearing them 24/7, for instance, they're portraying a character from a set of novels who have long hair for a limited amount of time. Besides, what of all the sketches and drawings of the characters (prior to the movies)? I find that more inspirational than the movies, personally. Not to mention the vast world that J.R.R. Tolkien created himself versus this wannabe doll person. No comparison - at all.

As an aside, I admire the elves for a variety of reasons - it's really not just merely, "OH! I LIKEY THE LONG HAIR OMIGOUSH!111!!!11one." But that would involve delving into the plot, characterization and development of the whole series from a literary standpoint, of which I'm too lazy at this point.

I haven't commented on this doll person here, but I will throw in my two cents.

From your profile, "I am also trying to get down to 100 lbs so I don't eat a lot and I find that my hair isn't in the best shape that it could be because of that."
From your post, "My hair will never get this long but I want hair that just overwhelms my body I want to look tiny under it!!"

This concerns me a bit. Definitely seems to be on the more eating-disordered side of the spectrum. I would seriously recommend eating healthy (you can lose weight and still eat plenty to sustain all of your nutritional needs) and seeing a doctor about some health issues.

I think, in this case, bringing up the issue of eating disorders is quite a valid point to make, not to bash people who are thin normally, but to be wary of the images that are spread around the harm they can do. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if she has an eating disorder considering how vicious the doll community can be and how much emphasis is placed on "physical perfection" - of which I do not agree, I think there are enough beauty standards as is in our society, and this doll community takes even that to a whole new level, in my opinion. It would be interesting to see her without makeup and without a wig, though, to see if the comments about eating disorders is valid or not.

Personally, I don't have many "hair idols". I appreciate the elves, sure, and other long-haired women in fantasy or medieval-themed stories, though I think a large part of that is my interest in the setting and cultures as well. But, when I do have "hair idols," I appreciate those who have realistic hair. Even extensions turn me off (including on the elves, though to a lesser degree). The hair of the elves is realistic, many regulars here have hair that is just as beautiful (oftentimes, more beautiful) than that - it is attainable. The hair of this person is more on the unrealistic side of the spectrum. Not that it's absolutely impossible, and not that it's a wig (though that is a bit of a turn off), but because it's so thick and just looks fake. For reference, I am horrible at telling whether someone has hair extensions or a wig in, and even I can tell hers is fake.

It's one thing to be an actor, who's job it is to be "fake", it's another thing to live your entire life as a fake. She can do whatever she wants with her being a doll, I don't care, just don't be all upset when people don't find that attractive or beautiful. You can find it beautiful all you want, sure, I don't care either. Doesn't mean we hate her or whatever, just means it's not something we're into, doesn't mean our opinion is less valid than yours.

lapushka
April 5th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Wow. Sounds like you're getting a bit defensive here, and there's no need to attack other people.

Sure, the actors and actresses portraying the hair in LotR wore extensions and wigs, though to be fair, that was no where near as flamboyantly fake as this person is (mind you, one of them goes around in real life like that, the others - it's just a movie). They're not putting on absurdly thick wigs and wearing them 24/7, for instance, they're portraying a character from a set of novels who have long hair for a limited amount of time. Besides, what of all the sketches and drawings of the characters (prior to the movies)? I find that more inspirational than the movies, personally. Not to mention the vast world that J.R.R. Tolkien created himself versus this wannabe doll person. No comparison - at all.

As an aside, I admire the elves for a variety of reasons - it's really not just merely, "OH! I LIKEY THE LONG HAIR OMIGOUSH!111!!!11one." But that would involve delving into the plot, characterization and development of the whole series from a literary standpoint, of which I'm too lazy at this point.

I haven't commented on this doll person here, but I will throw in my two cents.

From your profile, "I am also trying to get down to 100 lbs so I don't eat a lot and I find that my hair isn't in the best shape that it could be because of that."
From your post, "My hair will never get this long but I want hair that just overwhelms my body I want to look tiny under it!!"

This concerns me a bit. Definitely seems to be on the more eating-disordered side of the spectrum. I would seriously recommend eating healthy (you can lose weight and still eat plenty to sustain all of your nutritional needs) and seeing a doctor about some health issues.

I think, in this case, bringing up the issue of eating disorders is quite a valid point to make, not to bash people who are thin normally, but to be wary of the images that are spread around the harm they can do. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if she has an eating disorder considering how vicious the doll community can be and how much emphasis is placed on "physical perfection". It would be interesting to see her without makeup and without a wig.

Personally, I don't have many "hair idols". I appreciate the elves, sure, and other long-haired women in fantasy or medieval-themed stories, though I think a large part of that is my interest in the setting and cultures as well. But, when I do have "hair idols," I appreciate those who have realistic hair. Even extensions turn me off (including on the elves, though to a lesser degree). The hair of the elves is realistic, many regulars here have hair that is just as beautiful (oftentimes, more beautiful) than that - it is attainable. The hair of this person is more on the unrealistic side of the spectrum. Not that it's absolutely impossible, and not that it's a wig (though that is a bit of a turn off), but because it's so thick and just looks fake. For reference, I am horrible at telling whether someone has hair extensions or a wig in, and even I can tell hers is fake.

It's one thing to be an actor, who's job it is to be "fake", it's another thing to live your entire life as a fake. She can do whatever she wants with her being a doll, I don't care, just don't be all upset when people don't find that attractive or beautiful. You can find it beautiful all you want, sure, I don't care either. Doesn't mean we hate her or whatever, just means it's not something we're into, doesn't mean our opinion is less valid than yours.

Very well said!

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 05:30 PM

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 05:40 PM

Aderyn
April 5th, 2014, 05:52 PM
It is what it is. An art form. There are LOTS of art forms, that I will never choose for myself. :o

Indeed. There may even be some art forms that one does not agree with. Not here to diss people who decide to be a doll or say, "don't do this", though I would not be afraid to criticize the methods used to achieve the end result or to examine the psychological impact such sorts of sub-cultures can have.

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 05:54 PM

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Aderyn
April 5th, 2014, 06:11 PM
I think that's fair enough. It's just difficult to discuss a topic of cultural impact, and not hurt feelings. But that does not inherently mean that discussion should be null and void.

I get my feelings hurt super easily, and I always try to think of that in regards to others. Therefore most of my conversations of interest, are shared with my DH and kids. Lest I be overheard. I hate hurting people...

Oh, I understand, I always shy away from confrontation (in fact, the only thing that prompted my somewhat long-winded rant was the comparison of LotR elf-hair to the subject of this thread :D) and I have a habit of not speaking up lest I hurt someone (genuinely hurt someone, not just "offend" them). I also tend to get hurt easily, and take a lot of things to heart that I logically realize I shouldn't. Having open, honest, mature discussions is a vital part of life, though also one of the hardest, in my opinion.

I will admit, it is interesting to see all of the topics brought up in this thread and the discussion it's brought.

Wildcat Diva
April 5th, 2014, 06:16 PM
How is it we are invited to comment on this person, but yet their appearance is none of our business and we shouldn't comment on it? Or have any opinion on any of it cause it's not our body. I just don't get these threads.

TheGoddess
April 5th, 2014, 06:23 PM
^LOL......

Lexy
April 5th, 2014, 06:35 PM
Hi all, please remember that all posts should be Kind, Nnecessary, Informative and Truthful. This thread is veering away from several of those concepts. Thanks! :flower:

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 06:40 PM

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 06:41 PM

sarahthegemini
April 5th, 2014, 06:51 PM
How is it we are invited to comment on this person, but yet their appearance is none of our business and we shouldn't comment on it? Or have any opinion on any of it cause it's not our body. I just don't get these threads.

Having an opinion is one thing, but it's another to rip her to shreds with bitchy remarks because she's skinny. Next time someone here posts a length shot, would it be 'acceptable' to comment on their fat arms?

Ahhhhhhh, I think I'll go insane if one more person acts as though calling a random girl scary-skinny and anorexic is okay. I'm out.

Arwenlily
April 5th, 2014, 06:59 PM
Having an opinion is one thing, but it's another to rip her to shreds with bitchy remarks because she's skinny. Next time someone here posts a length shot, would it be 'acceptable' to comment on their fat arms?

Ahhhhhhh, I think I'll go insane if one more person acts as though calling a random girl scary-skinny and anorexic is okay. I'm out.

I don't think calling a random girl scary-skinny is appropriate but I think it is another thing to begin commenting about wanting to make your body appear unhealthy just to look "attractive". Similarly to how it would be unhealthy to wish to be obese. Either side of the continuum is unhealthy, no matter how you look at it, it is true.

Danu
April 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM

Wildcat Diva
April 5th, 2014, 07:08 PM
Ok, once again, in these kind of threads, I can see that it's impossible to have an opinion about anything non-vanilla without getting flamed.

Which is why I so rarely put my opinion out there. (except, hey, I like vanilla)

Kaelee
April 5th, 2014, 11:05 PM

I don't get it either. We've got a 12 page discussion going on about whether she's naturally thin, or "scary thin" or whether she has an eating disorder...

The images are photoshopped. In my opinion, it's perfectly OK to say that obviously fake images are scary. It looks unnatural. Because it is.

I'm really confused by this thread.

:cheese:

Wosie
April 6th, 2014, 01:48 AM
I'm also confused how this debate could get so (over)heated, but then again, I'm a really calm person and I seldom get upset. I also really like to discuss things, everything under the sun; I think it's good to air one's opinions about things. Many of her pictures are photoshopped and made to create this unreal look of being a doll, and it's natural to have different thoughts and opinions about something like that. Doesn't mean that either of the 'camps' are right or wrong, it's just opinions.
Sometimes you inevitably step on somebody's toes... That doesn't mean that you're a bad person, I'm sure everyone at least once put their thoughts in writing and realized afterwards that it should've remained a thought and not a comment on an open forum. (Phew, this is especially nervousness-inducing if you have Asperger's Syndrome.)

höpönasu
April 6th, 2014, 02:42 AM
She doesn't seem to be too thin in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKI32jy4vgQ
Maybe she's been thinner back then or then it's just photoshopped. Barbie has really thin arms, waist etc. after all

lapushka
April 6th, 2014, 06:03 AM
I don't get it either. We've got a 12 page discussion going on about whether she's naturally thin, or "scary thin" or whether she has an eating disorder...

The images are photoshopped. In my opinion, it's perfectly OK to say that obviously fake images are scary. It looks unnatural. Because it is.

I'm really confused by this thread.

:cheese:

Well if the rest of her is photoshopped, no doubt the arms are as well. :shrug:

Lady Mary
April 6th, 2014, 08:18 AM
She doesn't seem to be too thin in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKI32jy4vgQ
Maybe she's been thinner back then or then it's just photoshopped. Barbie has really thin arms, waist etc. after all

She's downright adorable in her videos, thanks for the link :)

TheGoddess
April 6th, 2014, 09:34 AM
I'm also confused how this debate could get so (over)heated, but then again, I'm a really calm person and I seldom get upset. I also really like to discuss things, everything under the sun; I think it's good to air one's opinions about things. Many of her pictures are photoshopped and made to create this unreal look of being a doll, and it's natural to have different thoughts and opinions about something like that. Doesn't mean that either of the 'camps' are right or wrong, it's just opinions.
Sometimes you inevitably step on somebody's toes... That doesn't mean that you're a bad person, I'm sure everyone at least once put their thoughts in writing and realized afterwards that it should've remained a thought and not a comment on an open forum. (Phew, this is especially nervousness-inducing if you have Asperger's Syndrome.)

I have aspergers syndrome

Sharysa
April 6th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I'm tiny enough at five feet and my hair's thick enough to swamp me, but while her hair itself is gorgeous, it's also tapping into my worst fears about being told "Girl, you look like Cousin Itt."

Plus, I shudder at how long that would take to wash. I already switched to navy-style showers at hip-length (while straight, so I still have a couple of inches before reaching hip-length waves), both to save on water and to keep my hair from getting heavy enough to slowly break my neck. Knee-length hair at my thickness and height would murder me.

Unicorn
April 6th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Sorry but that justification is utter nonsense. For a start, her hair doesn't show any sign of ill-health, so why have so many members taken it upon themselves to analyse her body?

I find it hard to believe the skinny bashing comments are mothing more than malicious bitching.

She's wearing a huge wig, make-up to make herself look plastic, clothes and shoes that make her look even smaller than she is naturally, posed to do likewise and photo shopped to exaggerate the effect further. Basically she has actively aimed to create photos that change her proportions to an unnatural state, while remaining close enough to what is possible to fool the eye at first glance.

Of course people are going to analyse something that just isn't "sitting right" in their brain, while not having any obvious explanation at first glance. She has created this and put it in a public place for attention, she has what she set out to achieve. I don' see that anyone on the thread deserves to be chastised for being human and responding to the deliberately created visual effects.

Personally I find many of those pictures deeply disturbing. Disturbing enough to believe that some of them breach LHC rules.

Unicorn

Aderyn
April 6th, 2014, 02:13 PM
She's wearing a huge wig, make-up to make herself look plastic, clothes and shoes that make her look even smaller than she is naturally, posed to do likewise and photo shopped to add to exaggerate the effect further. Basically she has actively aimed to create photos that change her proportions to an unnatural state, while remaining close enough to what is possible to fool the eye at first glance.

Of course people are going to analyse something that just isn't "sitting right" in their brain, while not having any obvious explanation at first glance. She has created this and put it in a public place for attention, she has what she set out to achieve. I don' see that anyone on the thread deserves to be chastised for being human and responding to the deliberately created visual effects.

Personally I find many of those pictures deeply disturbing. Disturbing enough to believe that some of them breach LHC rules.

Unicorn

Well said! Would like to add that the subculture this person belongs to is notoriously vicious about appearance. It's easy to just simplify the issue down to her "being skinny" and dismiss all of the criticisms as malicious bitching (thanks for the ad hominems?), but that utterly fails to take into account the context of the situation at hand. This isn't the same as going up to a random stranger you know absolutely nothing about and saying, "you look anorexic!" It's all about context.

I would also like to point out that the original post of this thread specifically emphasized the looking tiny part; "I want hair that just overwhelms my body I want to look tiny under it." Like you said, it is unnatural, whether it be the wig, the photoshop, whatever, and it is completely human to recognize that is unnatural.

We know there are problems in society about criticizing skinny people and dismissing skinny people as not beautiful (i.e. "real women have curves"), though I don't see how saying this person, the subject of this thread, is skinny is in anyway comparable to that, and to lump them together just seems to be a way of conflating the issue at hand.

ETA: If you had someone in the same situation who was overweight or obese, having people say they wanted their body to dwarf their hair, who thinned out their hair (or put on a really thin wig) to make it look smaller, etc. (Just imagine the exact "reverse" of this situation, I guess). and people decided to criticize that - would you have such a problem, because I'd be as vocal about my criticism then as I am now? Why is it only when it's skinny people that it's a problem? Once again, it's all about context - you need to understand this is a very specific, unique situation. :shrug:

Unicorn
April 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM

As far as I'm aware I don't, yet I find this thread seriously confusing, so I wouldn't be too surprised if you do too.

There is nothing left but to offer some :cheese: to go with my whine above.

Unicorn

ETA: @Aderyn, I absolutely agree that the context is key. Her arms do look scary thin in the initial photos as they do on Barbie who she is emulating. The shoes and skirt (of the coat) are in proportions that are usually found on toddlers, so it practically puts a kink in the brain to find adolescent/slender adult proportioned arms amongst everything else. The hair is big, but less obviously a wig in the initial photos, at least to my eyes.

Once my brain adjusted to what I was seeing I liked the aesthetic, but it took a moment. Her hair is rather glorious albeit a wig. Her blog bothered me - a lot!

jeanniet
April 6th, 2014, 02:53 PM
She's wearing a huge wig, make-up to make herself look plastic, clothes and shoes that make her look even smaller than she is naturally, posed to do likewise and photo shopped to exaggerate the effect further. Basically she has actively aimed to create photos that change her proportions to an unnatural state, while remaining close enough to what is possible to fool the eye at first glance.

Unicorn

This, in its entirety.

Autumn_Fairy
April 6th, 2014, 03:41 PM

:hifive: to the other Aspie girls here :)

Autumn_Fairy
April 6th, 2014, 03:55 PM
I just want to update my thoughts/opinions that I posted before. I see a lot of valid points here and I'd like to add the following to my own statements: This girl is trying to be a work of art, through deliberate and unreal visual manipulation. Something is not a work of art if it is not controversial and an artist should welcome all forms of criticism to become a better artist. Therefor, the majority of the discussion here is valid.

When I first posted, I was not aware if the hair was real or the body proportions, I hardly examined the picture for too long to consider it. My previous comments refer only to discussing in such critical detail a completely real, and un-photoshopped human. It seems to me that "skinny bashing" has become a fad lately in response to unrealistic media ideals. I've always been bothered how righting a wrong with the exact same wrong in reverse is considered productive. This kind of critical discussion about an overweight person is taboo for the most part and I'm starting to see positive evidence than doing the reverse is also going to the taboo direction, which is good imo. Of course, sometimes discussions of cultural ideals and health are necessary and healthy, but they have to be undertaken maturely and delicately so as not to hurt feelings.

getoffmyskittle
April 6th, 2014, 04:13 PM
I think she is in the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley) -- and deliberately so. So I am totally unsurprised that there is a 12-pages-and-running thread discussing her appearance. Some people react to something that looks almost-but-not-quite-human with aversion. It is well-documented, and does not mean that anybody is skinny-bashing or being intolerant of body types or what-have-you.

From wikipedia:

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis in the field of human aesthetics which holds that when human features look and move almost, but not exactly, like natural human beings, it causes a response of revulsion among some human observers. Examples can be found in the fields of robotics,[1] 3D computer animation,[2][3] and in medical fields such as burn reconstruction, infectious diseases, neurological conditions, and plastic surgery.[4] The "valley" refers to the dip in a graph of the comfort level of humans as subjects move toward a healthy, natural human likeness described in a function of a subject's aesthetic acceptability.

Anyway, she seems like a pretty nice person from her facebook account so... whatever?

Aderyn
April 6th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Anyway, she seems like a pretty nice person from her facebook account so... whatever?

She seems critical of Valeria Lukyanova for promoting unhealthy lifestyles as well, so that's a plus. She seems nice, I agree, and it would be very sad if she was struggling with an eating disorder - not a fun thing to deal with, at all. :(

It's also important to recognize criticism doesn't mean that you're saying they're a horrible person or that you're criticizing them as a person, but rather a specific decision they've made. :shrug:

ravenreed
April 6th, 2014, 05:20 PM
You realize that overweight people in the media get criticized all the time just for being in the media as being an unhealthy role model. They are not photoshopping themselves to look bigger, or deliberately trying to make themselves look larger, and yet just by existing they are getting all sorts of flack for their weight. It is apples and oranges. However, there have been plenty of threads here on LHC that left people on both sides of the weight issue with hurt feelings.

I just want to update my thoughts/opinions that I posted before. I see a lot of valid points here and I'd like to add the following to my own statements: This girl is trying to be a work of art, through deliberate and unreal visual manipulation. Something is not a work of art if it is not controversial and an artist should welcome all forms of criticism to become a better artist. Therefor, the majority of the discussion here is valid.

When I first posted, I was not aware if the hair was real or the body proportions, I hardly examined the picture for too long to consider it. My previous comments refer only to discussing in such critical detail a completely real, and un-photoshopped human. It seems to me that "skinny bashing" has become a fad lately in response to unrealistic media ideals. I've always been bothered how righting a wrong with the exact same wrong in reverse is considered productive. This kind of critical discussion about an overweight person is taboo for the most part and I'm starting to see positive evidence than doing the reverse is also going to the taboo direction, which is good imo. Of course, sometimes discussions of cultural ideals and health are necessary and healthy, but they have to be undertaken maturely and delicately so as not to hurt feelings.

ooglipoo
April 6th, 2014, 05:27 PM
I think she is in the uncanny valley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley) -- and deliberately so. So I am totally unsurprised that there is a 12-pages-and-running thread discussing her appearance. Some people react to something that looks almost-but-not-quite-human with aversion. It is well-documented, and does not mean that anybody is skinny-bashing or being intolerant of body types or what-have-you.

From wikipedia:

Thanks for putting a name to that, Skittles! I'm happy to say you've taught me something today!

Unicorn's post above was very much what I wanted to say yesterday, but was not able to put into words! Thank you to you, as well, Unicorn.

Sharysa
April 6th, 2014, 06:00 PM
...I thought the Uncanny Valley reference was for TV Tropes. Either way, thanks for reminding me of why she looked so OFF.

ArtThistle
April 6th, 2014, 06:03 PM
Personally, I love her doll-like appearance. I've always wanted hair like that, but red. Because my hair is red.
She does have a very disconcerting appearance, but it has its own beauty to it. I certainly don't think I have any right to judge her appearance.

MadeiraD
April 6th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I LOVE uncanny valley! I strive for it myself.

jeanniet
April 6th, 2014, 06:08 PM

No. It's not. There may be more outspoken criticism of it, but it's still very much done and very much accepted.

Wildcat Diva
April 6th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Personally, I love her doll-like appearance. I've always wanted hair like that, but red. Because my hair is red.
She does have a very disconcerting appearance, but it has its own beauty to it. I certainly don't think I have any right to judge her appearance.

There's that word "judge" again. It always does me in on these threads.

If you've verbalized that you "love her appearance" it seems you've already judged it.

Autumn_Fairy
April 6th, 2014, 06:17 PM
No. It's not. There may be more outspoken criticism of it, but it's still very much done and very much accepted.

I guess don't hang much around the areas (online or in RL) where is is accepted. Though what little I do see of it exists in anonymous contexts or in unmoderated areas. People feel comfortable to do so when they don't fear reprimand. That seems to be the case too with any form of inconsideration related to weight or anything else. If people think they can get away with it, they are rude. Its sad. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend or anything with my comments. I don't proclaim to know all or even close to it and I am always open to new information and keep an open mind always.

jeanniet
April 6th, 2014, 06:17 PM

I think you're quite right with this. I didn't know a thing about the human doll movement or whatever it's called, and yet had something of a repulsed reaction to her pictures. It's not her per se, or her size, but just that to me the whole thing--setting, clothes, posture--didn't look "right." Now I know why, and probably if I saw a totally normal picture of her I wouldn't think twice about it.

Symphony
April 6th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I don't know why, but I really enjoy the look. I doubt I could pull it off myself, but yeah, I enjoy that there are people like her in this world. Sometimes it is fun to see someone make themselves look like they are from a storybook. Real or not, I think she is adorable, and if that is the way she enjoys looking, them more props to her! That being said, I am pretty sure that is a wig. Still gives me hope that maybe, JUST maybe, I could have long princess hair, too!

jeanniet
April 6th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I guess don't hang much around the areas (online or in RL) where is is accepted. Though what little I do see of it exists in anonymous contexts or in unmoderated areas. People feel comfortable to do so when they don't fear reprimand. That seems to be the case too with any form of inconsideration related to weight or anything else. If people think they can get away with it, they are rude. Its sad. Anyway, I hope I didn't offend or anything with my comments. I don't proclaim to know all or even close to it and I am always open to new information and keep an open mind always.

Of course not! I'm not easily offended. :p There is pretty well-documented evidence of prejudice against the overweight--in the workplace, for instance. Not to say that there isn't skinny bashing as well. It would be interesting to see if there are equal levels of tangible prejudice against both.

sumidha
April 6th, 2014, 08:31 PM
Oh wow, I'm going to be reading up on that for a while, getoffmyskittle. It's a concept I've instinctually understood, but it's super interesting to see it spelled out so clearly like that!

Kina
April 7th, 2014, 06:53 AM
Her hair looks gorgeous in the first picture, so thick and full.

Aside from being just plain nasty, these comments are so patronising - funny how she is seen as scary-skinny until it's pointed out that she could naturally be that slim, and then all of a sudden, oh she's adorable, it's all good! Ugh. I think it is disgusting to basically say that looks like she has an eating disorder. Horrible and unnecessary. I mean, this thread was about her hair for goodness sake.

ETA: Just read some of the other nasty things written about her weight in this thread. Seriously, some people need to stop bitching about OTHER PEOPLE'S BODIES. GET OVER IT. So many members here moan and get upset about how others have criticized them and made nasty comments about their hair, and here you (general you) are, doing the exact same thing about someone's body. It's ridiculous how a nice thread (praising someone's wonderful hair) has turned into a thread bashing how awful she looks. If she was on the fuller side in regards to weight, would you all slate her for that too? Doubt it ..

I wasn't going to comment, but I do have something to say to this.

My stepdaughter almost died from an eating disorder. If we hadn't said anything, she would have. It took all the women in our family sitting her down and speaking to her about it for her to hear it.

It's very difficult and considered rude to mention other's personal appearance, but sometimes it, quite literally, can be lifesaving.

Angela_Rose
April 7th, 2014, 06:57 AM

We have several members who are thirty-plus with classic-plus hair. I think we all look fabulous.

lapushka
April 7th, 2014, 07:23 AM
We have several members who are thirty-plus with classic-plus hair. I think we all look fabulous.

Yes please don't bash me being over 40 with long hair. ;)
Gosh, I do hope that's permitted in your world, OP! :p

embee
April 7th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Thank you, skitts, for the Uncanny Valley reference. I'd never heard of that, and it was very interesting reading. :)

ravenreed
April 7th, 2014, 11:10 AM
44 and FT+ here. However, I am not going for any living doll look.

ErinLeigh
April 7th, 2014, 12:02 PM
OP has already said she is not talking about long hair on everyone else over 30. She said she didn't think by the time she reached knee and 30 she could pull off the living doll look. It is going to add stress to this thread to try and put words in her mouth that long hair over 30 isn't cute, acceptable or ok.

threadOfGold
April 7th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Don't be so self critical goddess to think that you won't be beautiful at 30. 30 is still young, '55' is classed as middle aged, which is still young! Look at all the women on here 30+. I'm not putting words in your mouth goddess, I'm not saying you said that people over 30 can't be cute, I know you didn't mean that. But for those who perceived it that way and got offended, you can be cute at whatever age. My mum turned 40 this year and she is absolutely beautiful, just as beautiful as when she was 24 and had me. The only thing that you get with age in my opinion, is more graceful. Just wanted to say this :)

tigereye
April 8th, 2014, 01:59 AM

Unicorn

Well said! Would like to add that the subculture this person belongs to is notoriously vicious about appearance. It's easy to just simplify the issue down to her "being skinny" and dismiss all of the criticisms as malicious bitching (thanks for the ad hominems?), but that utterly fails to take into account the context of the situation at hand. This isn't the same as going up to a random stranger you know absolutely nothing about and saying, "you look anorexic!" It's all about context.

I would also like to point out that the original post of this thread specifically emphasized the looking tiny part; "I want hair that just overwhelms my body I want to look tiny under it." Like you said, it is unnatural, whether it be the wig, the photoshop, whatever, and it is completely human to recognize that is unnatural.

We know there are problems in society about criticizing skinny people and dismissing skinny people as not beautiful (i.e. "real women have curves"), though I don't see how saying this person, the subject of this thread, is skinny is in anyway comparable to that, and to lump them together just seems to be a way of conflating the issue at hand.

ETA: If you had someone in the same situation who was overweight or obese, having people say they wanted their body to dwarf their hair, who thinned out their hair (or put on a really thin wig) to make it look smaller, etc. (Just imagine the exact "reverse" of this situation, I guess). and people decided to criticize that - would you have such a problem, because I'd be as vocal about my criticism then as I am now? Why is it only when it's skinny people that it's a problem? Once again, it's all about context - you need to understand this is a very specific, unique situation. :shrug:

I have experienced skinny-bashing and issues over my weight (and lack thereof), and it sticks in my mind enough that I've fallen out with old friends over "real women have curves" posts. I firmly believe both skinny bashing and fat-bashing are as bad as each other as I see them both happening and both sides get just as hurt. I know. I've been there (when I finally gained enough weight to put me at a healthy BMI and stop the comments from the rest of the world, my mum started suggesting to me to lose weight).
However, talking about weight can save lives, and I'm not meaning someone's natural weight (which can be small for some and large for others), but when it spirals to something life-threatening, or life-ruining - as in an anorexic that is a few pounds from their body giving up, or a morbidly obese person with diabetes, high risk of heart attack and stroke.
All that said, I still have to agree with what's been said. This isn't a debate about bashing real people. It's about the obvious attempts, because of the doll-like appearance that is aimed for, to look in a way that some people might aspire to but many will not be able to attain. The circle-lenses, fake hair, poses, clothes and photoshop to make her seem smaller. It is all about context. I find it particularly disturbing, not because of the skinniness (in her videos, she looks naturally thin and small boned), but because of the child-like appearance. Most especially, the large child-like eyes set in an adult face. A perfect, made-up adult face, and childlike eyes made with circle lenses and white eyeliner, but still an adult face and childlike eyes. The big dress. It disturbs me because as much as it means to emulate dolls, to me, it looks disturbingly like a sexualised child. It's probably not meant to, but that's what I see and I have difficulty with that.

Unicorn
April 8th, 2014, 05:44 AM
Snip... A perfect, made-up adult face, and childlike eyes made with circle lenses and white eyeliner, but still an adult face and childlike eyes. The big dress. It disturbs me because as much as it means to emulate dolls, to me, it looks disturbingly like a sexualised child. It's probably not meant to, but that's what I see and I have difficulty with that.

These are the aspects I find disturbing, one or two of the photos I came across were seriously unhealthy. (and I don't mean her weight)

I grew up very thin, with everyone and his dog wanting to fatten me up. In truth I think people are overly sensitive to criticism these days, I didn't give the time of day to people who told me I was too thin, from childhood through to my thirties. I was in no way traumatised by random peoples opinions, it was just boring. No matter what you look like, you can find someone who likes it and someone who doesn't. That's life, why focus on the negative group when the positive group is just as valid?

My body functioned well, I was not only healthy, but athletic and very strong. I certainly didn't consider trading the ability to skip effortlessly around life, with hefting a heavy body around and force feeding myself to do so.

Unicorn

Night_Kitten
April 8th, 2014, 07:27 AM

Don't despair - I'm 30 (almost 31 even, lol) and I can still pull off the cute doll look and probably will be able to do so a few more years... :)

ETA
I read the rest of the thread past the first page after commenting, and indeed face shape has a lot to do with how well one can pull certain looks... I have a round "chubby" face shape, which is probably a big part of being able to pull off a "cute" look, but makes it very hard to get the serious look needed for job interviews and such :shrug:

If it's a look you like and you're not sure you will be able to pull it off when your hair gets as long as you want naturally, then by all means buy the wig and contact lenses, after all we only live once, so why not have fun along the way? :)

PS
That girl's hair is gorgeous (even though it's a wig) and looks so nice in the video of her visiting Paris.... I wish I could have such thick hair naturally... :magic: