PDA

View Full Version : Have you inspired your other half?

Qamar
September 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
My sweetie has always had very short hair...as in so short that no curl shows even though he has beautifully curly hair. Because he's had so much fun with my hair and knows I just love long hair on men, he decided to grow his hair out about six months ago. He's made a LOT of progress, eh?

I'm having to teach him about hair care and introduce him to the wonders of conditioner. He's always being amazed by how different it feels and in some ways, what a pain it is to do things he used to do without a thought...for example, he has a devil of a time keeping his hair from eating his bluetooth. It gives me a giggle because my hair is perpetually snagging my bluetooth and flinging it to the floor.

At any rate, have you inspired your other half to grow out their locks? Care to share any photos of their progress?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1620&pictureid=20928

Checkers
September 14th, 2008, 11:14 AM
No, but he's 51 and receding. He gone for the super short less tha 1/2 inch hair. Looks good on him though. I saw his college pictures with longer hair and let's just say no one wants to see his hair long. Just picture if Krusty the Clown had a full head of hair.

Qamar
September 14th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Actually, my honey's hair is receding in the front, too. He used to wear a head scarf or a hat frequently, but he's better about that now because he's enjoying his new curls.

Kirin
September 14th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm regretting inspiring my husband. He uses way more product than I ever did..... he's a CO and coconut oil junkie who leaves his shed hair all over the house!

Lady Godiva
September 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM
No, he inspired me, or more accurately put, my husband's long hair encouraged me to continue growing and take better care of it en route to the floor. Oddly, he now maintains his at mid-back length. He used to keep it at belt length. :dreamy:

Tapioca
September 15th, 2008, 11:42 AM
My DH still wants his hair short (it does suit him better), but he wants to cover his greys and I've just about talked him into doing a Light Mountain Henna/Indigo mix instead of conventional dye.

Haith
September 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM
No. He's not into me growing my hair out so I'm in this alone. Oh well!

bunnii
September 15th, 2008, 12:16 PM
My BF has always had long hair, but he hasn't always looked after it :rolleyes: when I met him he was using a narrow toothed comb on his armpit length hair, he now uses a a brush but I still hear him ripping through it. He has the most gorgeous curls and when I can get him to oil they define so well. But he always says he can't be bothered so now half of them are fizzy waves and the other half is still curly *sigh*

ETA - http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff22/dolly_goth/DSC00441.jpg You can't really see the length, it's about an inch longer than the pic shows.

sahiba
September 15th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Well I married a man whose hair is almost Eresh's length(remember we do not cut hair) and after marriage I just made him crib about his length. :o Actually I was very short in hair length.

melikai
September 15th, 2008, 12:21 PM
My SO inspired me to grow my natural colour out, although I was already leaning in that direction. He was already growing his, and now it's the same length as mine, but I *have* been starting to teach him about taking better care of his!

For some reason it makes me giggle with glee when I see men growing out their hair (when it suits them of course)! It makes me irrationally happy.... :D

psycho
September 15th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Sadly, no :rolleyes:. His hair is at least as thick as mine and has beautiful waves when it grows out, but he got tired of actually having to comb it (I even combed it for him most of the time) and went back to the buzz cut and trimmed the full beard back to a goatee. So sad.

He knows I LOVE long hair on men, in fact I am starting to collect pictures of male long hair for my blog (volunteers accepted...hint hint :D) and have encouraged quite a few male friends to grow their hair out and they discovered they love it and get a lot more compliments and attention now ;)

Stevy
September 18th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Not to any great extent, sadly. His hair just doesn't seem to get past a couple of inches past the shoulders, and I'm not sure how much of it is breakage and how much is genetics. I've got him using hair hosiery ties, which seems to have dealt with some of the breakage, but he won't use a separate conditioner (he uses Head and Shoulders 2-in-1) and I'm not sure what more I can suggest to protect it.

He got a haircut once for a job interview and I hated the way he looked with short hair - it made him look about fifteen.

carolineb
September 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM
when i met him, he had lovely dreadlocks by the ears (black-type hair) and i had my straight brown hair by the ear as well. i don't know what happened, but i decided to grow mine as he was growing his. i am at waist now, he is some kind of bsl...

LadyLongLocks
September 18th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Mine is keeping it longer than he normally does.
He used to have a very short military type cut and now wears it much longer(2.5-3").
I like it so much better :)
I also got him some better quality combs for his fine, soft, straight hair.

saracuda
September 18th, 2008, 09:01 AM
No. DH wears a flat-top, and a short style is the only one that would work for him. While he has gorgeous red hair, a long style would look really, really bad. He's a bar of soap over everything and he's done kind of guy.

Qamar
August 21st, 2009, 12:04 AM
Months later the update is that Les's hair has reached BSL wet and stretched out, and is shoulder length in its natural curled state. I've been teaching him about hair care and he now is friends with Mr. Conditioner and has even tried a CO wash or two. Sadly, I can't break him of his bad habit of ripping a brush through his curls (and then wondering why its frizzy after) but I did get him using an alcohol free gel to tame them somewhat. They stay reasonably defined with the aid of gel.

We just bought him some metal free hairties since he can actually do a real ponytail now. Now if I could get him turned on to camellia oil and gentle combing instead of the hairbrush ripping...ah well, even with some abuse he has gorgeous hair. I dream of curls like his. :)

rogue_psyche
August 21st, 2009, 01:15 AM
DBF doesn't have a face for long hair. He's happy using whatever products I buy but noticed he uses more shampoo than I do on his two inch hair. :demon:

RancheroTheBee
August 21st, 2009, 01:51 AM
Last year, I decided to start growing out my hair from above chin. My boyfriend decided to start growing it, got to about two inches and maintained until... Haha.

Okay, so he bought this nose hair clipper. Good for me, because I was always a little distracted by those little hairs sticking out. Anyway, he called me, sounding distraught, and said he thought it would be a good idea to shave some sort of pattern into his hair. It looked bad, so he had to shave it down the scalp. A month later, he's at about an inch, and said he wants to grow it to at least my length. :) I'd say I inspired him.

Uh, again.

Sceleste
August 21st, 2009, 02:37 AM
My spouse is bald and has no intentions of growing his hair but he has definitely been influenced after I started growing and taking care of my hair. He conditions his beard regularly and sometimes looks for split ends in it. He also uses one of my shampoo bars to wash his scalp instead of normal soap or shampoo.

Wicked Princess
August 21st, 2009, 05:35 AM
When I met him, my fiance had hair down to his lower back, and it was gorgeous! But the ends were fairly thin and had a great amount of wear on them. Back then, he didn't know about conditioner. To his credit, he did seem to like gentle, "nice smelling" shampoos, though. :)

Over the several years that I've known him, he's cut it up to shoulder length, then cut it to only a couple inches long, then grown it to mid-back, then cut it up to APL. I still can't get him to use conditioner! :eyeroll:

I think his hair is at its most attractive at this length, and it seems to be the longest he can have it and never get frustrated by taking care of it (which is why he experimented with different lengths in the past). In the last couple months, I've talked about my hair a fair amount and I think he's starting to get a bit of length-envy. He's mentioned thinking about growing it out again but not wanting to work for it...

:sigh: At the length he's at now, his hair stays in good condition, and he doesn't even have a split end! I've actually gone and looked for some! He doesn't even use conditioner! Ugh! If he's serious about it, I'll have to slip in some leave-in conditioner around, I think.

Fencai
August 21st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Yes I have!!!
He's totally in the "tweener" stage though. He wears a hat constantly to keep the mane tamed!
But his hair grows fast!!! He says that once the heat calms down a bit, he'll let me show him how to groom it to wear without the hat!

Reptilia
August 21st, 2009, 06:43 AM
Yep! He started growing almost a year ago now!

LittleOrca
August 21st, 2009, 12:16 PM
I think I did. When I met MagnusXP his hair was short like most men wear it. When I look at him and commented "You might look nice with longer hair," I didn't mean he had to grow it and that if he kept it short I'd love him any less, but he took it as a hint and grew his hair out some :rolleyes: Silly boy. He does look to me for a lot of "Should I use..." questions and is going to grow his hair out as long as he can stand it, he has told me. Right now it's in that shoulder length awkward stage and since he is a curly-haired guy, it really bugs him at points. Good news is he can put it back in a pony tail so he doesn't mind letting it grow some more.

violetka
August 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Actually my other half inspired me.

jtl45
August 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM
Well kind of a twist here as I am the guy and I have the very long hair! The girl I am dating has pixie length and she loves my hair this length! I pretty much let her have her way with it and after much discussion, she has agreed to let hers grow and is excited to do it! Hooray!!!
Jim :)

PurpleAshes
August 21st, 2009, 02:08 PM
My DBF has always wanted long hair, but I guess I inspired him to continue growing it out and to take better care of his beautiful curls :D

You can see pics of his progress in an album in my profile:D

BTW, your husband's hair looks very nice, you should put a pic of his progress too :)

SimplyViki
August 21st, 2009, 02:37 PM
Nope, DF's hair is thinning on top, so I don't think he'd be interested in growing it. However, I have been smearing castor oil on top of his head to try and encourage new growth. And I'm planning on breaking out the Monistat if that fails. :twisted:

Lady Mary
August 21st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Yep, he's already started growing his and he's COing now as well. Next, oiling treatments!

Amara
August 21st, 2009, 02:47 PM
My SO likes his hair about MB length or a little shorter. It grows 4-5 inches, he chops it back 4-5 inches, so it's always in that range. It was like that before we met - I think he first did a ponytail in high school. I can't get him to treat it any better, either. No conditioner, brushing when wet... but every few months he chops off 5 inches, so really, it always looks great no matter what. :)

JamieLeigh
August 21st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I don't think I've inspired my hubby to grow his hair out, but I have noticed that his hemline has crept from above the ear to just below jawline since I've been at LHC. I'm sure he'd say it's coincidence. ;)