PDA

View Full Version : Apl hairstyles for iii hair

kganihanova
April 4th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Hi guys! So I recently chopped to apl to get rid layers and went to iii thickness. That means my old styles aren't working. When my hair was thinner, I had a Cinnabun at apl now I.....don't. I need styles. Help!!!!

Anje
April 4th, 2014, 09:27 AM
Easiest trick I've heard for iii hair: Make a half-up and bun that. Then take the lower half and wrap it around. It effectively reduces the thickness of the hair that you're trying to bun, so you can get it to go around more.

Another one: do French twists. Do LOTS of French twists. You probably won't be able to get them to work as well when your hair is longer, so enjoy them now.

Braids, particularly French and Dutch, will probably be useful to you. You're still at a length where you could theoretically tuck the ends up inside if you wanted hair off your neck.

lapushka
April 4th, 2014, 09:43 AM
A peacock twist might be best. iii hair needs a lot of length for the most basic of buns (waist for cinnabuns and LWB and such in my case).

Wosie
April 4th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Your hair is definitely thicker than mine, but have you tried the pencil bun? It's the only bun I trust at this point and my hair is as long as yours.

kganihanova
April 4th, 2014, 10:29 AM
A peacock twist might be best. iii hair needs a lot of length for the most basic of buns (waist for cinnabuns and LWB and such in my case).

Ugh. The lack of buns may be the only downside to chopping the layers off. I can't get peacock twists to look "right",

kganihanova
April 4th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Your hair is definitely thicker than mine, but have you tried the pencil bun? It's the only bun I trust at this point and my hair is as long as yours.

How do I do that?

Wosie
April 4th, 2014, 10:42 AM
How do I do that?

Shucks, I forgot about giving you a link. :o Here's the videoclip that helped me make it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0k3dD4qX34
My hair is rather thick too, so I have to make it really tightly for it to work...

torrilin
April 4th, 2014, 02:12 PM
My sister is a iii and somewhere in the APL/BSL range. She loves the look of a vortex bun, which is just a cinnabun done in sections. Her tearing hurry default is a single French or Dutch braid. Twin braids take longer, but they actually dry so that's a major plus. I can't remember if she likes tucked or folded braids at all, but French twists and peacock twists tend to get puffy near the crown and that makes her deeply sad.

I don't think any kind of knot bun works for her yet without doing half up tricks as Anje suggests. She loves how ridiculously easy knot buns are for me, so next time we fuss at hair I might try some sectioned options for her.

Almost any bun can be done as a fancy addition to a half up. And sectioning almost always makes it possible to get hair out of your way. Don't despair!

Vanilla
April 4th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Gibson tuck! I'm on the thicker side of ii, and I loved Gibson tucks at that length.

jeanniet
April 4th, 2014, 05:30 PM
You can make a pencil bun with just one or two fingers if you need to. I couldn't use my whole hand until about waist, but could do a finger or two somewhere between APL and BSL.

Wosie
April 5th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Yes, jeanniet! Another thing I forgot to mention is that I only use my left index finger for the pencil bun. :)

kganihanova
April 5th, 2014, 08:58 AM
update: pencil bun is not working..yet. I hope that another inch will get me there.

Wildcat Diva
April 5th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Folded braid?

kganihanova
April 5th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Folded braid?

that might work, I'll have to try that

italianamama
April 9th, 2014, 12:25 AM
I'm iii and when my hair was that length I used some fake hair to assist in bunning- the kind of fake hair that's a ponytail attached to a ponytail holder. I just braided my regular hair in with it and pinned the whole thing up. I used it until I was BSL, and than I had enough length to make some buns on my own. That method may or may not work for you. I was in the military at the time and I had to have my hair either up above my collar or slicked back in a professional looking bun, so the fake hair was the only way for me to avoid looking frazzled. And as far as I know, no one could tell that I was using fake hair.