PDA

View Full Version : Green hair? Opinions.

Marbid
April 3rd, 2014, 06:49 PM
Actually, i posted this on the random hair thoughts... But because i actually want opinions and advice on this, i will make a thread...

so... I am thinking about dying my bangs green.. I'm growing my bangs out, they are chin length right now. ( i have curly hair, i thought i could keep up with the maintenance of straightening my bangs, but nah, too lazy, so growing them out ) my bangs are face framing bangs... ( i got them cut bowl shaped, so they are thick and start 2 fingers behind my hairline, even with such thick bangs, my circumference is 3.8 at the moment... So i don't mind playing around with them) i might post a picture of my bangs later... I shall straighten them so you can see, and be better informed to give me some advice..

so their purpose when growing out, i want to use my bangs as accent braids, to add to my buns or french braids... But i don't want to damage the rest of my hair, i plan to grow to term, or until i am satisfied... S. I really don't want to damage my hair... But the bangs are there for me to play with color.. And inspiration.

Still, i want them to get to at least bra strap.. They must have some length in order to be suitable for accent braids. I rather not use bleach to get the green, i don't want them to turn scraggly, well they will be in the updo as well, might be able to get away with brighter colors than dark green...

this is the effect i want.. http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/b_s_marbid/imagejpg1_zps1d4cc9a2.jpg ( imagine in a bun... Or 3b curls instead) and no pink. This kind of brightness.... Or should i go darker? My hair color is a medium dark brown.. Should i go for dark green? Or standard green? Idon't want super bright green.. I just wanted to stand out.. Or should a blue green color mix better? Is this even a good idea? What do you think ladies..

[http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d4/b_s_marbid/imagejpg1_zpscc6f1c48.jpg

These are my bangs... Not very long right now... But i will be doing root touch ups if i decide to go along with this any ways... Also... That is my hair color in indoor light...

Opinions in what color would flater as accent braids... And if this is a good idea for long hair goals? ( i dont think it should be an issue, its just bangs, and would make my buns more interesting... My length is well cared for and virgin.) but if there could be consequences that i have not thought about, please state them, i want to do this confidently to lessen the likely hood of me regreting it.

swearnsue
April 3rd, 2014, 07:31 PM
I love the colors in that braid! OMG. I think you should do it unless you work in a conservative office. How about 2 different greens? Or a green and a blue/green?

antler_tines
April 3rd, 2014, 07:46 PM
Just remember the damage stays forever though, I usually rebleached all of mine instead of just doing a root touch up so maybe if you just did touch ups it wouldn't be so bad? I think special effects brand dye is the best if you decide to take the plunge. The sonic green would look good on you :) this is how mine looked https://fbcdn-photos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-0/59491_117337801653405_6148502_n.jpg

MadeiraD
April 3rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
I think you could rock a yellowy chartreuse sort of colour or a turquoise really well. I bleach and dye my fringe (dark red, used to have it pink and purple) and it doesn't effect the health of the rest of my hair

CremeTron
April 4th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Lovely thick hair. Great idea!!!

I think a nice light green would look awesome. Maybe 2 different green streaks(something close to emerald green and like MadeiraD mentioned: a yellowy green or turquoise) about 1-2 inch diameter at the side or under your fringe.

I, too have have streaks, a burgundy one- was supposed to be pink lol and a white one I did yesterday. I have a conservative dress code to adhere to at work so they are quite small and positioned so I can tuck behind my ear.

Panth
April 4th, 2014, 11:36 AM
From experience, green is an absolute pain as it won't stick (or, rather, it fades to a gunky nasty barely-there yukky mess VERY quickly, then stays like that forever). This is particularly the case if you don't bleach first. In my case, I did a green streak over virgin hair (mine is paler than yours - a very dark blonde). It was gorgeous when I rinsed it out, but almost completely washed out the first time I washed it. Then the gunky, faded green remained for a few months. Not ideal.

If you do bleach, then you'll probably get a bit better sticking power but you'll also have fairly considerable damage, which is not ideal if you're planning on growing out that hair.

I think blue has similar problems to green. Red or purple are best for staying power and for use on non-bleached hair.

Marbid
April 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM
Hmmm... My husband gave his opinion too... A somewhat darker green, and turquoise, around the same dark value as my natural hair color would be nice. I most likely will bleach to get the green... Will get it done at a hair stylist ( or research first to see if i can find what brand or type of dye has the most staying power. )

I am planning on letting it grow out.. Doing the roots every 6 months... Will most likely maintain the bangs at bra strap level if they can get there. I think they will. I wont be adding heat to my bangs and they will be in the bun along with the rest of the hair as well.

I did think about how it gets when it fades... But i will look up to see how i can keep it from fading as fast. Or if there exists something in the world with less fading power... If anything i will just redo the color green ( not the bleach)

I dont like red... Or pink.... At least not in my hair. They may stay on longer... But I just find them unflattering with my skin tone.. My skin tone is more towards the olive side.... I feel like green will match better.

Will,post puctures when its done.. On another thread... Because i will take my time to decide...probably months...

SkyChild
April 4th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I've got blue just now and let me tell you on bleached or unbleached hair it fades the fastest of all bright colours. Green and blue both wash out to a murky green colour. If I were you I'd dye it but mix a couple of tablespoons of the dye in with conditioner to use on the coloured sections every time you wash, leave on for 5 minutes and then rinse. This is the best way I've found to stop blue or green from coming out and going "gunk" coloured.

Also don't use 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioners and rinse with cold water to stop fading.

antler_tines
April 4th, 2014, 03:02 PM
I've used iguana green, sonic green and blue velvet, and electric blue from special effects brand. I think that brand has more staying power compared with manic panic or any other brand. I've only ever used that brand because I've read the other brands fade too fast.

SkyChild
April 4th, 2014, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, that's interesting. Maybe I should buy special effects. *goes to research*

Marbid
April 4th, 2014, 06:00 PM
Ya know.... Been looking at pink pictures.... Might go for like pastel pink something... Just for staying power.... I generally dont like shades of red... But it looks cute on just hair.... Ah... Whatever... If the greens dont stay... Well then... I will look into pink.. No use in dying and then fading... That constant redo ain't for me...

It has to be something that i can just do root touch ups every once in a while.. I don't want to have to redo it every month or so.

CremeTron
April 4th, 2014, 06:45 PM
Not that I follow fashion but pastel hair is very "in" right now and so you will find a lot of major brands doing bleach and toner combinations. Will take away the guesswork and of course fading is not such an issue as it is pastel to begin with. What about peach? A solid strip of peach or lavender? I was going for pastel pink as I read purple would fade to that but my hair is rather grabby (porous) so I am biding my time and then going for a pastel peach. My skin is a light brown with yellow undertones so I think we may both fall under "warm" colouring and peach works.

Find a colour chart online to pick a colour that suits your warm tone. Also you could try a purply- blue if you don't want to touch up. Even faded and the colours between, it will look good and also provide a nice colour contrast to your existing hair colour.

Marbid
April 4th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Ah... My skin has yellow undertones too.. It can be downright olive.. And summer aint even here yet.. I can get quite dark gold in summer. Which i like. But yeah.. I guess im just having trouble finding something that will match well with both my skin and hair. I don't want to be switching colors all the time. I like consistency..

But it might be that some experimentation is unavoidable with this. I don't think blue is for me thou, i never looked good in blue.. I have pink pjs.... They bring out whatever rosiness is on my cheeks.. Hmmmm... Perhaps my dislike for reds is that i just dint wear them often.. I definitely hate dark red, that much i know... It just feels tacky to me.. But perhaps light pastel pink with some lavender streaks would be ok... It might fade well, altho i will try to keep it from fading..

I know for sure i will do this... I just need a color... I have 2 months or so to decide thou... So its ok... I will see if i can try out hair chalk, get an idea maybe.

Thank you guyz sooo much for your opinions, really appreciate it.