PDA

View Full Version : Is it me, or are those waves?

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 02:13 PM
All my 42ish years, I've thought that I had stick straight hair. Today, I had time, so I decided to let it completely air dry, without any kind of leave-in, or combing before I get out of the shower. It appears those are some waves in my hair. I know it's a crappy picture. I didn't realize my mirror was that dirty. But, opinions? Do I actually have waves? Sorry for the size, Photbucket is being stupid.

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/tetisheri1972/hair/aed7cbf1-8a9d-4421-b166-ace6ee3175d5_zpsf0d2d7a6.jpg

Anje
April 3rd, 2014, 02:15 PM
Those look like waves!

red-again
April 3rd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Looks like 1b hair to me. Defo not stick straight!

sarahthegemini
April 3rd, 2014, 02:38 PM
It looks more than 1b to me.

Chamomile betty
April 3rd, 2014, 02:45 PM
Not stick straight. Got some wave going on there.

DweamGoiL
April 3rd, 2014, 02:47 PM
Let me ask you this...do you have frizz? Where there be frizz there be waves ;)

ExpectoPatronum
April 3rd, 2014, 02:52 PM
Welcome to the wavy club :) Looks like 1b to me too.

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 02:56 PM
Those look like waves!

I'm really excited that other people think so too. My husband thought they were too, but you know how husbands are.

Looks like 1b hair to me. Defo not stick straight!

Very cool! I'm really excited about this. I have no clue where they came from.

It looks more than 1b to me.

I'll have to go look at the categories again.

Not stick straight. Got some wave going on there.

How can I have been wrong about my hair lo, these many years?

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 02:59 PM
Let me ask you this...do you have frizz? Where there be frizz there be waves ;)

Kind of, maybe, I think so. I've noticed it after braids, and when it is really humid, but I've always assumed it was part of my braids. My hair feels coarser then too. Is that part of frizz too?

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 03:00 PM
Welcome to the wavy club :) Looks like 1b to me too.

Thank you! Does this mean I have to learn a whole new way to deal with my hair?

lapushka
April 3rd, 2014, 03:34 PM
I'm voting 1c.

Anje
April 3rd, 2014, 03:47 PM
1c for now, maybe. I'll bet that if you tried to coax a bit of wave, maybe did some moisture treatments, it'd go to 2a or more. The wavelength looks pretty short to me (which is how I think of waves and curls), but it needs some more amplitude to really look wavy. Moisture often increases that.

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 03:51 PM
I'm voting 1c.

All the way to 1c?

I remeasured my ponytail too, which went into an ii instead of an i. Why did I never do this before?

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 03:53 PM
1c for now, maybe. I'll bet that if you tried to coax a bit of wave, maybe did some moisture treatments, it'd go to 2a or more. The wavelength looks pretty short to me (which is how I think of waves and curls), but it needs some more amplitude to really look wavy. Moisture often increases that.

More votes for 1c. OK. This is really surprising to me. I always wanted wavy hair.

LauraLongLocks
April 3rd, 2014, 03:57 PM
I'm with the 1c voters. Mine is also 1c. Here's a pic, for comparison. I took this pic after washing, fingercombing, and letting my hair air dry. We actually have very similar wave pattern.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/Bestbirth/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/001-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/Bestbirth/media/Hair%20Gallery/Hair%20length%20shots/001-1.jpg.html)

Vanilla
April 3rd, 2014, 04:12 PM
I am voting 1c as well. My hair is 1c and it looks very similar to yours if I don't comb through it after washing.

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 04:26 PM
OK, you've all convinced me. 1c it is.

Nebulae
April 3rd, 2014, 05:38 PM
Yep, I agree, it looks very similar to my 1c hair. :D Yay for your waves, they look good!

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 05:41 PM
Thank you! Now I have to figure out how to make it all curlier and all.

Vanilla
April 3rd, 2014, 06:08 PM
I find it near impossible to coax significant waves out of my hair. Except when on vacation. At the beach. And co-washing. I don't mind a little greasier hair when on vacation, and I often have to shower everyday because of the pool and saltwater.

I have tried co washing, plopping and gel when I'm home and I don't get the awesome waves that I get when I'm at the beach. The more reliable and consistent source of waves that my hair can hold is braid or bun waves, mostly because I have to shampoo and condition my hair 2-3 times a week.

divinedobbie
April 3rd, 2014, 06:18 PM
I also had very straight hair all my life. I gave up cones about three months ago and I definitely started noticing a difference. My hair had more body and waves. Apparently I'm a 1c too when before coming to LHC, I would have classified myself as 1a without question. If you want to see if you can bring out more waves, I'd personally try going cone free. It really made a difference in my hair texture.

momschicklets
April 3rd, 2014, 07:02 PM
I had no idea I had waves until I cut my hair at age 40. A lifetime of vigorous washing and brushing and pulling them out had me convinced I just had frizzy problem hair. Who knew??

legendya
April 3rd, 2014, 08:10 PM
It looks like you might be a wavy.

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 09:09 PM
There's nothing like the beach, is there? I'm looking forward to experimenting.

I also had very straight hair all my life. I gave up cones about three months ago and I definitely started noticing a difference. My hair had more body and waves. Apparently I'm a 1c too when before coming to LHC, I would have classified myself as 1a without question. If you want to see if you can bring out more waves, I'd personally try going cone free. It really made a difference in my hair texture.

My hair likes cones. I tried going without, for about a month, but it constantly tangled. Might try again sometime.

I had no idea I had waves until I cut my hair at age 40. A lifetime of vigorous washing and brushing and pulling them out had me convinced I just had frizzy problem hair. Who knew??

It's kind of weird, isn't it?

It looks like you might be a wavy.

I'm very excited!

Melisandre
April 4th, 2014, 01:36 AM
Now I also want to know what my hair type *really* is! I'm already cone free (bs and acv since June '13).

Is it okay to wrap my wet hair in a towel before I go out of the shower? Let it dry a bit in the towel, take the towel off and then let it air dry? Without combing? Or do I need to squeeze most of the water out and then let it dry?

Wosie
April 4th, 2014, 03:44 AM
^ Any kind of manipulation will change the wave patterns (if there are any), sadly. The less waves you have, the harder it'll be to keep their natural shape with any kind of towel drying manipulation. I would advise for you to let it drip dry with a towel on your back.

And I agree with the general consensus, that you are a 1c, tetisheri. :)

ErinLeigh
April 4th, 2014, 05:04 AM
Is it possible for people with straight hair who bun daily to have hair trained to wave? I sometimes wonder if hair gets used to waveing and just keeps the wave even after washed.
If that even possible or are people just finding waves later in life? Can hair type change over time or is it just not noticing the waves before?

tetisheri72
April 4th, 2014, 08:11 AM
Good to know Wosie. I'll be working on touching it less. Although, I do have to put it in a towel until I get lotion on my back. Otherwise my back itches terribly. Dry skin sucks,

tetisheri72
April 4th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Is it possible for people with straight hair who bun daily to have hair trained to wave? I sometimes wonder if hair gets used to waveing and just keeps the wave even after washed.
If that even possible or are people just finding waves later in life? Can hair type change over time or is it just not noticing the waves before?

Those are really good answers. I am surprised that my hair is wavy. I wonder how I made it through this long without knowing this.

lunalocks
April 4th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I discovered some waves in my 40s and my hair has become wavier every year since then. Always thought I had stick straight hair and then was out in a misty rain and suddenly I had kinky hair. I am a 2B now. Go figure. For the most waves, I first condition with vo5 clarifying conditioner, then wash with a clarifying shampoo (vo5 again) and then rinse and soak in catnip tea, leave it in and air dry, only finger comb. Try it, see what happens. For me I get the most waves without a lot of conditioner and/or conditioner leave in. The conditioner makes my waves straighter.

Wosie
April 4th, 2014, 09:33 AM
I think this is common for a lot of wavies, that they never thought their hair was wavy, just frizzy and damaged... That was how I discovered my waves. :) I'm glad I finally did, as I started treating my hair differently!

Also, if you want to encourage the waves... have you ever tried plopping your hair, or scrunch it after you've washed it?

ETA: Oh, and about the post where I mentioned not manipulating the waves with a towel... That was merely for hairtyping pictures. Drip drying every time you wash the hair doesn't sound like much fun. :p

tetisheri72
April 4th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Oh good! I couldn't handle drip drying every time. I'm so not that patient. I haven't tried plopping or scrunching, but I will be experimenting, for sure.

Stormynights
April 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
My oldest son's hair was straight as a board until he was about 17. His hair started curling around his ears and he hated it. The curls continued up his head until his whole head was curly. I am not talking about waves I am talking about real curls. My grey hair has more curl than my hair that is still blonde.

Redvelvetdragon
April 4th, 2014, 12:44 PM
Wow, now that I'm seeing what you all classify at 1c then perhaps I'm a 2a! Like the original poster, I too had stick straight hair growing up. Now when I wash my hair I just light towel dry and comb out my bangs and let the rest dry down. My hair has gotten pretty wavey. I'm not sure how this happened. If I brush it it pulls out some of the waves, but there is a definite S curve in there now.

My hair also went from darkest brown/black to medium espresso. Again, how?

Oh well. One of these days I'll take a photo of my new waves for you to see.

Vanilla
April 4th, 2014, 04:05 PM

My hair was also stick straight as a young child. As I got older (around 10) my hair started to wave. Up until that point, I had bangs that would lay smooth no matter what, and the ends of my hair were always super straight. At age 10, my bangs started to flip up, and the ends of my hair began to wave considerably. I decided to grow my bangs out at that point.

Unfortunately, at that time, it wasn't trendy to have wavy ends and straight roots, so I mostly wore it up in a ponytail or bun. On the rare occasions I did wear it down, I used a round brush to blow it straight. That lasted about 2 hours tops, and then my ends would start to wave again.

The reason why my length shots always show me with pretty straight hair is that I take them when my hair is just the slightest bit damp and is extremely deep conditioned. Extra moisture for me results in straighter hair for some reason.

swords & roses
April 13th, 2014, 11:58 AM
Ooh, I'm following this thread, for sure! OP, I'm definitely agreeing that you've got some waves going! :) Now you all have me wondering if I've been caring for my hair all wrong. It was stick straight my entire childhood. Now I'm starting to notice just the tiniest amount of waves. Nothing impressive. I'm thinking it actually looks better straight, but that straightness was coming from detangling it when wet with a comb, which was getting to be too damaging. So I switched to waiting to detangle until it's totally dry, and using a brush that's a mix of soft/boar bristles & wire/hard bristles. I love this brush, as it detangles & smoothes all at the same time. But my most recent back-of-head photo shows my hair super frizzy & wide. I'm wondering, if I'm a wavy, am I supposed to stop brushing it altogether? Finger combing never seems to work well for me; I always have breakage, hurt fingers, & a mess of tangles worse than I started, and it seems to take SO LONG to do. And I love when my hair is detangled with a brush & I can glide my fingers through it, scalp to hem, when I play with it. I know I always wanted to have waves, but maybe not, now that I have them & don't care for how they're supposed to be managed. Figures, lol!

As for those wondering how hair can change over the years, I'm pretty sure it has a LOT to do with how your hormones change throughout your life. :flower:

tetisheri72
April 14th, 2014, 08:52 AM
I'm now wondering the same thing. I'm slowly trying new things. I don't want to jump in all at once, because how can I tell what's working and what isn't.

Lucky_Lucy
April 14th, 2014, 02:43 PM
I find it near impossible to coax significant waves out of my hair. Except when on vacation. At the beach. And co-washing. I don't mind a little greasier hair when on vacation, and I often have to shower everyday because of the pool and saltwater.

I have tried co washing, plopping and gel when I'm home and I don't get the awesome waves that I get when I'm at the beach. The more reliable and consistent source of waves that my hair can hold is braid or bun waves, mostly because I have to shampoo and condition my hair 2-3 times a week.

^ My story: the Sea was always my no.1 love. Then, one day, a couple years ago, I cut my hair to my shoulders; it was almost-stick straight(or maybe a bit like 1b). I went to the beach and BAM!: 2b hair <3 Conclusion: I shall move to Hawaii, and surf and scuba dive and practically live on the beach for the rest of my life(I'm not even joking).

Wow, now that I'm seeing what you all classify at 1c then perhaps I'm a 2a! Like the original poster, I too had stick straight hair growing up. Now when I wash my hair I just light towel dry and comb out my bangs and let the rest dry down. My hair has gotten pretty wavey. I'm not sure how this happened. If I brush it it pulls out some of the waves, but there is a definite S curve in there now.

My hair also went from darkest brown/black to medium espresso. Again, how?

Oh well. One of these days I'll take a photo of my new waves for you to see.

^ I NEED that to happen like right now, because my hair is just too darl :( Imagine what a lovely shade of red it could turn if it was lighter and I'd use henna..<-haha wishful thinking *grabs the bleach*

tetisheri72: Yay for having wavy hair! My hair is 1c(or so I think haha), and it looks a lot like yours :) I've had some moments last year when I my hair looked exactly like 2a, but I couldn't remember what I did, and then it just looked like normal again..I'm going to try more stuff to enhance my waves(even though my hair is up everyday..). So far, no-cones is a big no-no for me. My hair loves some good old cones XD

Nanna
April 15th, 2014, 02:29 AM
Hmm... I wonder... I did classify my hair back when I joined, but I think I was a bit over-excited and impatient and didn't let it dry all the way. I always used to have very straight hair, not stick-straight but definitely not wavy at all, but lately I've noticed more and more curving at the ends. That might just be from bunning, but wouldn't it be cool to have waves! All my flyaways are curvy, and they stick their heads out as soon as the air gets moist at all, and lately it has been easier than ever to put a bit of a curl into it. Next washday I'll do some testing!