PDA

View Full Version : Hennindigo did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING...wtf?

BroomHilda
April 3rd, 2014, 08:48 AM
Today I tried rainbow henna in persian black. I did everything as mentioned in the directions, shampooed, toweled dried, prepared the mix, applyed it, let it sit twice the recommented duration and the result was.....ZERO
I mean absolutely zero. Color did not change a bit.
I have black/dark brown hair with lots of reddish tones and I was supposed to expect deep/jet black color.

I ve no idea what went wrong....plus I smell grass now.

Any idea?

It didn't even leave a stain on my skin...not a darn little stain....is that normal?

Valkyriejae
April 3rd, 2014, 10:06 AM
It sounds like there was no dye release - did you let it sit for a while after making the mix?

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2014, 10:10 AM
Rainbow is notoriously bad quality, and it's often very old so the dye content is poor at best. If you wanted a deep jet black color you'll need quality henna and indigo and a two-step process (http://www.mehandi.com/how_to/black/index.html) :)

BroomHilda
April 3rd, 2014, 10:23 AM
bad quality huh? great

I let it sit according to directions, 10-30 minutes

There was not dye release, all I could see on my head and in the shower was green mud. Not any other color.....

AmyBeth
April 3rd, 2014, 11:40 AM
While I was experimenting with different hendigo formulas and processes, I tried Rainbow too, and got nothing as well, so I'm not too terribly surprised at your lack of results. Some people like Rainbow. To each their own, I guess. I now use a 2 step process and get a medium brown. But that's the ratio of henna to indigo that I use. Hendigo is also used to get deep black, so definitely look into that link provided by Nightshade and enjoy!

jeanniet
April 3rd, 2014, 11:42 AM
If there was no dye release, you might as well not have put it on your head, sorry. If you want jet black, you need to do a two-step hendigo, but I strongly recommend strand testing first to see how well indigo will stick on your hair--it's a good idea to wash your test strands several times afterward with shampoo, so you can get an idea of how much the indigo might fade. For some people, indigo sticks like glue; for others, it fades quickly even with a two-step application. You can forego strand testing if you don't care if you end up with the henna flare, but it sounds like you want to cover up red tones. I wouldn't even bother with a pre-mixed hendigo. A one-step, even with good quality henna and indigo, won't give you the black you want.

Nightshade
April 3rd, 2014, 11:54 AM
bad quality huh? great

I let it sit according to directions, 10-30 minutes

There was not dye release, all I could see on my head and in the shower was green mud. Not any other color.....

Henna and indigo are also wildly different with dye release. Henna needs warm water and then has to be covered and allowed to sit someplace warm for a few hours until dye release. The dye lasts for about 24 hours, but starts to break down after 12 and will get progressively weaker.

Indigo releases dye as soon as you add liquid to it, and the dye is shot after only an hour.

If you do a henndigo blend, you need to mix up the henna and allow it to dye release. Then, in another container, you mix up the indigo, add it to the henna, mix it up and put it on right away :) This usually gives a dark brown that will still go red in the sun.

For a two-step process, you make the henna up, allow it to dye release, then henna your hair. Rinse out the henna, mix up the indigo, then apply the indigo right after. This will give you black, but the indigo can either fade or be insanely colorfast depending on your hair. That's why strand testing is so recommended.

Henna Girl
April 3rd, 2014, 11:58 AM
Jet black hair from henna can only be done in a two step process. It is better to buy good quality henna and indigo and do the mix at home than buying a ready made mix. Sorry for the bad experience :(

LunaLuvsU
April 3rd, 2014, 07:00 PM
Same here! I ordered some black henna from Mountain rose herbs and I let it sit for 2 hours and there is almost no effect :( It barely left any on my skin and what it did leave was easily washed off. I was really hoping to get at least a true dark brown (my natural color is a med - dark ash brown that shimmers gold/red) but I didnt get anything..

Isilme
April 4th, 2014, 01:50 AM
If you still want to try it my theory would be to mix it, apply immediately and let it sit on your head several hours. Indigo gets dye release really fast and the dye dies very quick but henna is the opposite. If you did so it would give both dyes a chance to colour your hair. Also don't forget the plastic wrap to keep it moist, I know many pre-packaged mixes (like Lush for example) have the stupid and counter active instructions to let it sit uncovered and dry out.
But as others have said, your chances of getting jet black with this are very slim.

BroomHilda
April 4th, 2014, 03:35 AM
Yesterday I opened a pack of mountain light henna (in black) and after 15 minutes I saw dye release in the mixture...I put in a piece of paper and it was stained blue/reddishbrown color.
Light mountain powder was sealed in a plastic bag
I m gonna give it a try today again. Hopefully I ll see some difference :\

Like I said, my hair are already black, I m hopping to get rid of some reddishblack strands I have. If I had brown hair I certainly wouldnt expect jet black

Isilme
April 4th, 2014, 04:17 AM
If you want to get rid of red henna is absolutely a no no! Henna stains hair brownish orange that can be built up to a ruby red but will always flare orange. Indigo is a blue that gives brown/black combined with henna. No matter how much henna and indigo you use you are always going to have red in your hair.
If you still want to proceed, I'd say apply immediately, wrap in plastic to keep moist and wear it as long as you can stand, minimum two hours.

BroomHilda
April 4th, 2014, 05:16 AM
Well...hmmm...a no-no huh?
ONCE AGAIN it seems like there is no dye release... I ve been waiting about 2 hours after I prepared the mix and all I get is green mud.. Only the surface get blue....

Am I doing something wrong?

Nightshade
April 4th, 2014, 07:30 AM
Nothing, the quality of Light Mountain is just very, very poor. With dye release you often only see it on the surface, so all isn't totally lost. Just mix it up and put it on and hope for the best :)

Anje
April 4th, 2014, 07:47 AM
If you want the good stuff, chances are you'll have to buy online. HennaSooq is excellent (I've bought from her myself), and Mehandi.com is also perfectly good. I think Henna-boy is one out the top suppliers for the UK. You can also often find excellent stuff at local Indian or Middle Eastern grocers, but I'd suggest you buy known stuff from an online supplier the first time, especially since you want indigo. Indigo is harder to find typically, and there are a lot of "black henna" items for sale at those stores that have things like PPD in them. It could react really weirdly, so it's best to know what proper indigo and henna look and smell like, so you can ensure that you're getting the good stuff.

jeanniet
April 4th, 2014, 08:41 AM
Well...hmmm...a no-no huh?
ONCE AGAIN it seems like there is no dye release... I ve been waiting about 2 hours after I prepared the mix and all I get is green mud.. Only the surface get blue....

Am I doing something wrong?

Are you waiting two hours before you put it on? Indigo will demise in that time (sorry if I'm misunderstanding you).

To be honest, though, I don't think hendigo is what you want. A two-step might cover your reddish strands. A one-step won't.

ETA: And henna is permanent, permanent, permantent. If it's not what you want, you'll have to grow it out. I cut off the last bit of my henna about a year ago--it was in my hair three years, and still just about as strong as when I put it in.

Isilme
April 4th, 2014, 04:11 PM
http://www.hennaforhair.com/faq/index.html
http://www.hennaforhair.com/indigo/index.html

Read everything on these two pages to learn more about henna and indigo. But the fact is still that if you don't want red/orange henna is not for you, especially since it is very very permanent. Henna bleaches out to a very bright pumpkin orange and before the orange is gone so is your hair. Indigo bleaches to an uneven swamp green and according to some the hair won't take another colour after bleach has touched indigoed hair.

bunnylake
April 4th, 2014, 07:26 PM
You should probably try another type of dye to get the results you're looking for. Even with a two step process the henna red is going to flare in the sunlight, and the indigo could fade leaving you with only the henna red tint. If you don't want any red at all, don't use henna. No matter what you mix it with or how you use it, you'll get a red flare under certain lights.
You could try Manic Panic. It's a vegetable based dye, nothing icky in it!