PDA

View Full Version : "Cow" licks?

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 06:37 AM
For those who don't know, a "cowlick" is where the growth pattern of hair grows in a circle. You see it mainly on babies and those with very short hair:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR0lOz5onaRj6muVZi2sq5d6EADISj6v XHcd9XMuDPY0maKlOMCug

But sometimes you'll see them on the hairline, or in other places.

My question is does anyone have any tips for managing them when you have a strong one and long hair is not stopping it from coming through?

I have one on the top right corner of my head. Because I typically don't comb or brush my hair (finger detangling is about it) it's usually visible. I've noticed this more since the ubiquitous taking shots of the back of my head that is the purview of LHC :-)

My cowlick looks like the cow decided to nibble a bit, it's not a bald patch, the hair grows, it just grows in a circle. Not cute on a grown up!

Fairlight63
April 3rd, 2014, 06:49 AM
I also have a cow lick in the same place. It is VERY hard to deal with. I will be watching this thread for any more ideas of what to do about it. My hair is also thin there. The only thing that I have found to do is after I get done putting my hair in a bun, I take a comb and comb over that area & move hairs to cover it up so that I don't look like I have a bald spot.

Also if I put my hair in an half up first with a barrette, arranging the hairs to cover it up, then put my hair in a bun it helps cover it up.

rags
April 3rd, 2014, 07:34 AM
I have one ion the left crown, right where it will show in updo pics, of course!

I do the things Fairlight does (nice to see you, Fairlight! :waving: ). I Also take some very teeny clips when I've washed my hair, and clip it the way I'd like it to lie as its drying (mainly that means getting the hair above t to come down over the cowlick). I don't always get to do this, but it helps immensely when I do.

Oh, and I've reminded myself recently why I never cut face framing layers (by cutting them in again, of course! :rolleyes: ) cowlicks in the front hairline are almost impossible to disguise with even chin length layers

torrilin
April 3rd, 2014, 07:43 AM
Most of the time, spots that look like cow licks when your hair is short are just spots where your hair's curl pattern is a bit different. If you want to stick to natural methods and working with your natural texture, getting a totally smooth bun isn't real doable on curly hair. The exact look that's attainable will vary based on your hair's curl pattern and texture.

For most of us, the natural curl pattern is somewhat protective, so working with the curl rather than against it tends to work better for long hair. But it's a real your mileage may vary situation... not everyone is going for lengths way past classic, or maintaining a smooth look may be more important to you than length. And you may have hair that can tolerate rougher handling.

Techniques like hair wrapping or a dooby might get you results you're happier with. And some posters really like pin curls or setting their hair on large rollers to get a smoother look.

Gabriel
April 3rd, 2014, 08:31 AM
I've got a few of these. One in the top back crown area too. Sometimes it parts when I don't want it to and looks like a bald patch. It also has a weird tendency to painfully ache if it goes in the wrong direction too long which is really strange and annoying. And by ache, I mean tender, even without touching and will lead to a migraine if I don't reset it by washing my scalp. There's been a few threads about this weird thing on here before. It's so annoying!

I also have a swirl at the front of my hairline which makes a fringe (bangs) really a bad idea for me. I've forgotten this a few times nevertheless and it always ends up in a growing out phase.

Oh! I have a tiny cowlick in an eyebrow too!

Long story short: I have no solutions for how to tame them. Most of the time only freshly washed hair/scalp seems to hide them for me. Sorry! I just wanted to add to the cowlicked stories too!

Nadine <3
April 3rd, 2014, 10:40 AM
have a cowlick right up front where my bangs are. I have to comb and blow dry my bangs down and into submission otherwise my bangs stand straight up. They still sometimes do if it's humid outside. For me though it's worth it because I hate how I look with out some sort of fringe. If they start to grow past my nose I start to look weird.

panffle
April 3rd, 2014, 11:13 AM
I have one on the same spot as you, I just wear my hair up... Usually that gets the hair a bit more 'used' to laying flat back, so I can go a day with wearing my hair down. After a few days of not washing it tends to show more, so either hair up in a bun of half-ups tend to help hide them.

Melisandre
April 3rd, 2014, 12:42 PM
I also have one. Up until now I didn't even know it is called a cow lick! It usually shows on second or third day hair, especially on the back on the left of my head. It parts there and since I always have a middle part, it shows :(

Fairlight63
April 3rd, 2014, 02:40 PM
Hi Rags! Good to see you:inlove:

Chamomile betty
April 3rd, 2014, 02:42 PM
Yep I have one on the right side of my forehead. Also two in the back - double crown is what I always heard it called.
Grew up across from a farm and when I was little Dad always said a cow broke loose and licked my forehead lol.

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:34 PM
I also have a cow lick in the same place. It is VERY hard to deal with. I will be watching this thread for any more ideas of what to do about it. My hair is also thin there. The only thing that I have found to do is after I get done putting my hair in a bun, I take a comb and comb over that area & move hairs to cover it up so that I don't look like I have a bald spot.

Also if I put my hair in an half up first with a barrette, arranging the hairs to cover it up, then put my hair in a bun it helps cover it up.

That's been how I've managed it to date, but I'm quickly getting tired (and a bit self conscious) about it. It also defeats the purpose of not using a comb or brush on the rest of it, if I'm combing that bit...

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:37 PM
I have one ion the left crown, right where it will show in updo pics, of course!

I do the things Fairlight does (nice to see you, Fairlight! :waving: ). I Also take some very teeny clips when I've washed my hair, and clip it the way I'd like it to lie as its drying (mainly that means getting the hair above t to come down over the cowlick). I don't always get to do this, but it helps immensely when I do.

Oh, and I've reminded myself recently why I never cut face framing layers (by cutting them in again, of course! :rolleyes: ) cowlicks in the front hairline are almost impossible to disguise with even chin length layers

That's pretty much why I straighten my bangs, I have just over my right eyebrow, and a tiny widow's peak in the center. Since I'm allowing the fringe to grow, I HAVE to wear it flipped over to the left, otherwise, the hair stands straight out, just poking up, waving around.

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:39 PM
Most of the time, spots that look like cow licks when your hair is short are just spots where your hair's curl pattern is a bit different. If you want to stick to natural methods and working with your natural texture, getting a totally smooth bun isn't real doable on curly hair. The exact look that's attainable will vary based on your hair's curl pattern and texture.

For most of us, the natural curl pattern is somewhat protective, so working with the curl rather than against it tends to work better for long hair. But it's a real your mileage may vary situation... not everyone is going for lengths way past classic, or maintaining a smooth look may be more important to you than length. And you may have hair that can tolerate rougher handling.

Techniques like hair wrapping or a dooby might get you results you're happier with. And some posters really like pin curls or setting their hair on large rollers to get a smoother look.

I love my texture (actually wish it was curlier) would just like to avoid the faux bald spot look :p

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:41 PM
I've got a few of these. One in the top back crown area too. Sometimes it parts when I don't want it to and looks like a bald patch. It also has a weird tendency to painfully ache if it goes in the wrong direction too long which is really strange and annoying. And by ache, I mean tender, even without touching and will lead to a migraine if I don't reset it by washing my scalp. There's been a few threads about this weird thing on here before. It's so annoying!

I also have a swirl at the front of my hairline which makes a fringe (bangs) really a bad idea for me. I've forgotten this a few times nevertheless and it always ends up in a growing out phase.

Oh! I have a tiny cowlick in an eyebrow too!

Long story short: I have no solutions for how to tame them. Most of the time only freshly washed hair/scalp seems to hide them for me. Sorry! I just wanted to add to the cowlicked stories too!

I'm almost convinced Ihave one in my lash line on the left eye. It always parts in a different direction :D

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:42 PM
have a cowlick right up front where my bangs are. I have to comb and blow dry my bangs down and into submission otherwise my bangs stand straight up. They still sometimes do if it's humid outside. For me though it's worth it because I hate how I look with out some sort of fringe. If they start to grow past my nose I start to look weird.

Yup, I do too. I've always hated my forehead, cut my fringe for the first time when I was about 4.

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:54 PM
Yep I have one on the right side of my forehead. Also two in the back - double crown is what I always heard it called.
Grew up across from a farm and when I was little Dad always said a cow broke loose and licked my forehead lol.

So, in my culture, there is a folk tale, belief? that the placement of a cowlick indicates what your next child will be, if it's in the center, you'll next have a boy, to the side, a girl. double cowlicks would be twins, any in your family?:D

It was true in my case, my eldest has it in the center, next child was a boy, that child had it on the side, next child was a girl. that's when I stopped. I guess there's usually a 50/50 chance of being right ;)

Kina
April 3rd, 2014, 07:55 PM

So, in my culture, there is a folk tale, belief? that the placement of a cowlick indicates what your next child will be, if it's in the center, you'll next have a boy, to the side, a girl. double cowlicks would be twins, any in your family?:D

It was true in my case, my eldest has it in the center, next child was a boy, that child had it on the side, next child was a girl. that's when I stopped. I guess there's usually a 50/50 chance of being right ;)

Fairlight63
April 4th, 2014, 07:16 AM
I used to have bangs which I let grow out a couple of yrs. ago so that I would have more hair to cover up the top of my head which is also thin & to help cover the cow lick. My bangs also have a cow lick & would never lay right, would always want to curl in, so letting them grow out solved that problem also.

Neecola
April 4th, 2014, 11:44 AM
Yep, I've got one too on my crown, right side. I do like rags and when my hair is drying, I use a tiny jaw clip to hold the hair over that spot. It does a pretty good job keeping it there once its dry, sometimes I'll smooth a bit of aloe or FSG to hold that spot.