PDA

View Full Version : How long do you leave your conditioner on for when washing?

threadOfGold
April 2nd, 2014, 01:18 PM
(for those who co wash, I'm referring to your second condition. The one you would 'traditionally' apply after Shampoo. (Don't worry if you don't use a a shop bought conditioner if you make your own, still share how long you keep it on for!)

Personally, I leave it on for about 5-10 minutes. If I'm using my shampoo bar I don't use conditioner. However, if I do an oil treatment (I do this around twice a week) I use a sulphate shampoo and then afterwards is when i use a siilicone conditioner. I wash my hair every two days at the moment, my shampoo bar acts as a sort of dry shampoo as I only wash my scalp with it! I tend to do my oil treatments and shampoo and condition on Sundays and Thursday's.

Curious to see the variety of different answers!:eek:

Larki
April 2nd, 2014, 01:23 PM
The very first thing I do in the shower is shampoo my hair, and then I put on conditioner and leave it on for the rest of the shower, rinsing it out at the very end after I've taken care of everything else. My showers are usually about 20 minutes long, so if I have to guess I'd say the conditioner is in my hair for about 17 minutes?

threadOfGold
April 2nd, 2014, 01:26 PM
Oooh, interesting. Do you use silicone conditioner? Your hair must feel lovely and soft.:)

Larki
April 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
Oooh, interesting. Do you use silicone conditioner? Your hair must feel lovely and soft.:)

I do! My hair loves cones. It tangles like once in a blue moon. And yes, it's so soft! I mentioned on here a few weeks ago after getting a new leave-in conditioner that it feels like rabbit fur, and that's still true!

jupiterinleo
April 2nd, 2014, 01:33 PM
I shampoo first, condition, then leave it in for the rest of the shower. The length of time differs, depending on whether I am shaving. It's usually around 5-10 minutes, though.

Jumper
April 2nd, 2014, 01:41 PM
I leave mine in for the rest of my shower when I use it (I flip flop around between shampoo bars, co washing, wcc with regular shampoo... usually just do whatever I feel like lol). Maybe about 5-10 minutes.

Sometimes I will "deep" condition with my regular conditioner by leaving it on 20 minutes before rinsing. If my hair is really dry I do Aussie 3 minute miracle for more than 3 minutes.

PrincessIdril
April 2nd, 2014, 01:43 PM
Er about 3 mins max?
After shampooing I apply, comb it through and then leave it for however long it takes to wash the rest of me.

jeanniet
April 2nd, 2014, 01:58 PM
Not that long. A few minutes. I don't mess around in the shower since we're in a dire water situation here.

darklyndsea
April 2nd, 2014, 02:11 PM
Until I get too bored to remain in the shower...probably just a few minutes, since I'm impatient.

ExpectoPatronum
April 2nd, 2014, 02:41 PM
I'm a shampoo bar user too, but found I still need to use conditioner at least on the very ends of my hair. I put it on after I finish shampooing and leave it as long as it takes for me to wash my body and/or shave my legs. Then I rinse it off with my citric acid rinse. The conditioner I use is the GVP Conditioning Balm from Sally's. It's pretty cheap ($5-$6 a bottle), has no cones, and it works wonderfully for my hair.

sarahthegemini
April 2nd, 2014, 02:59 PM
I put my conditioner in, put a shower cap on and proceed with washing my face and body so however long that takes. If I'm shaving then that adds a few more minutes. I'd say on average I probably leave it in for about 4 minutes and upto 10 on shave days.

molljo
April 2nd, 2014, 03:01 PM
I'm going to agree with most of the other posters. Shampoo first, condition, leave on while I do everything else, and rinse it out as the last thing I do. It's anywhere from five to fifteen minutes, depending on what I'm doing, if I'm in a hurry, or if my hair has been dry lately and I think it needs some extra conditioning time.

Irishrain
April 2nd, 2014, 03:19 PM
I leave the conditioner in for 5-7 minutes, rinse out at the end. Currently I'm using Herbal Essence Hello Hydration.

Nightshade
April 2nd, 2014, 03:20 PM
I'm going to agree with most of the other posters. Shampoo first, condition, leave on while I do everything else, and rinse it out as the last thing I do. It's anywhere from five to fifteen minutes, depending on what I'm doing, if I'm in a hurry, or if my hair has been dry lately and I think it needs some extra conditioning time.

Pretty much this. Since my showers are about half an hour long, I'd say 20 minutes of that is conditioner soaking time.

georgia_peach
April 2nd, 2014, 03:39 PM
Er about 3 mins max?
After shampooing I apply, comb it through and then leave it for however long it takes to wash the rest of me.

Not that long. A few minutes. I don't mess around in the shower since we're in a dire water situation here. Same here. I am strictly CO. Even after an oil treatment, I just CO wash the first go round and then a heavy CO for the second round. Only leave it on as long as it takes me to finish my shower.

blue_eyes
April 2nd, 2014, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else. Shampoo first & then leave conditioner in my hair until the very end. I'd say anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I just try to keep it in my hair as long as possible.

Anje
April 2nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Probably about 5 minutes. However long it takes to wash my body. If I take some time to moon about in the shower enjoying the warmth, it's usually as an extended conditioner-rinsing process.

ErinLeigh
April 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM
When I co wash I put in the following conditioner for the rest of my shower, probably 5-15 minutes depending on what I am doing in shower.
If I clarify I usually leave on a deep treatment for 30 minutes (I get out of shower then back in to finish after 30 min)
If I shampoo then I condition twice. I leave first one on 3 min and 2nd one on 3 minutes.
I keep a shower cap in shower so all conditioners are done under the cap to help them heat up a little faster.

Basically once hair is washed, the conditioner stays on until I am done washing body and/or shaving. Then I remove cap, rinse and wash my face then done.

Lindseyh
April 2nd, 2014, 05:01 PM
The very first thing I do in the shower is shampoo my hair, and then I put on conditioner and leave it on for the rest of the shower, rinsing it out at the very end after I've taken care of everything else. My showers are usually about 20 minutes long, so if I have to guess I'd say the conditioner is in my hair for about 17 minutes?

This is what i do too

walterSCAN
April 2nd, 2014, 06:02 PM
I've been doing CWC the last few weeks. The first C stays on for less than a minute before I shampoo, then the second C stays on while I do my shaving and wash my face-- maybe 5 minutes? I have to rinse my conditioner before I wash the rest of me or it'll make my back break out like crazy. Gotta get the hair rinsed and up off my back so I can be sure I've gotten all the conditioner off my skin.

MeowScat
April 2nd, 2014, 06:14 PM
My showers are about a half hour. I shampoo right away with sulfate-free shampoo, rinse, then the conditioner marinates in my hair for about 25 minutes (in a shower cap) while I wash the rest of me and shave. Rinse conditioner while wide tooth comb detangles hair. Then Vinegar Rinse for 1 minute (some dumped over scalp, the length soaks in plastic mug for 1 minute) rinse Vinegar out in cool / cold water for 30 seconds to a minute.

CremeTron
April 2nd, 2014, 06:52 PM
1-5 minutes for me

Nadine <3
April 2nd, 2014, 07:03 PM
However long it takes me to wash the rest of my body.

untangleme
April 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
The second time I condition, I leave the conditioner in for between 10 and 45 minutes (under a shower cap, of course!! ;))

Weewah
April 2nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
I leave it on for however long it takes for me to detangle, wash my body, and shave, so maybe like 5-10 minutes? The current conditioner I'm trying says to leave it on for 15 minutes, screw that I'm not gonna stand around in the shower for 15 minutes I'll get bored and wrinkly lol

seamstress
April 2nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
I let it sit as long as it takes me to detangle my hair. My hair is rather fine, so this amount of time seems to work for me.

G1ll
April 2nd, 2014, 07:59 PM
I will wash my hair in the beginning of the shower and then condition right after. I'll leave the conditioner on for however long it takes me to shower which is 5/10 minutes... Depending if I'm shaving that day or not :p

divinedobbie
April 2nd, 2014, 08:14 PM
I shampoo and then apply conditioner. I probably only leave the conditioner in my hair for about 3 minutes, maybe 5 if I feel like having a longer shower. I take fairly short showers to save water.

Lucky_Lucy
April 2nd, 2014, 08:31 PM
I CWC, and my first condition stays on for a couple minutes, while I shampoo; then I wash the rest of my body, then I apply the conditioner again, and let it stay, idk for the length of a song or something around 3-5 minutes.

melusine963
April 2nd, 2014, 09:53 PM
Er about 3 mins max?

Same here. Once I've finger combed my hair, the conditioner usually only stays on another two minutes or so. Maybe five, depending on what I'm shaving.

ositarosita
April 2nd, 2014, 11:00 PM
I prepoo for about an hour or two first (with a conditioner) followed shampoo and a coney conditioner that I leave on for about 2 mins simply for detangling purposes because I style with deep conditioner (helps my curls to clump and eliminates frizz... it stays on for about 3 days)

GoddessLocks
April 2nd, 2014, 11:06 PM
I shampoo first thing after washing my face and put conditioner in. It gets left in for the rest of my shower which could be 5-15 min or so depending on shaving and all that lol

petitepraline
April 2nd, 2014, 11:07 PM
Usually, as soon as I get into the shower I shampoo and pile on the conditioner. The conditioner probably is on for about 10 minutes.

MandyBeth
April 3rd, 2014, 12:32 AM
Since my silly joints demand a full on tub soak daily...

Hop in shower in swim suit. Wash hair with shampoo (Paul Mitchell's one - a small squirt in 16 ounces of water for normal), apply conditioner (GVP's version of Biolage Conditioning Balm), hop out of shower, stuff hair under shower cap and my bleached out Turby Towel, park my butt in hot tub, sit for ages (15-20 minutes or I can't walk the next day), get out, go rinse out conditioner, apply second conditioner (depends on the day), shower cap, wash off.

If done, rinse hair again, call it good.

If parking in the sauna for 12 minutes (nearly always), I leave it on, finish, go rinse hair.

Yes, my toys sound fun. But, it's a use them or have major problems.

threadOfGold
April 3rd, 2014, 12:33 AM
So I suppose the most frequent answer is you leave it on for as long as you're in the shower for! Do a lot of you feel like your hair is softer after shaving days because that's when it's been conditioned the most?:)

Marika
April 3rd, 2014, 01:46 AM
1-3 minutes max. I used to leave it on for longer but I didn't notice any benefits. That's why I don't deep condition anymore. It's just a waste of time for me :shrug:

CurlyCap
April 3rd, 2014, 01:50 AM
My conditioner is the first thing I put on my hair and it stays there however long is necessary for me to complete the rest of my shower routine. Sometimes it's two minutes....sometimes it's 20. BUT I co-wash frequently so I'm not really that worried about giving it optimal time to take effect.

Loviatar
April 3rd, 2014, 03:49 AM
I CO wash but I only condition once. Should I be conditioning twice? My hair would be a flat mess if I did that :(

I wet my hair, apply conditioner, cover with shower cap, have shower, wrap body in towel and eat breakfast. Then I lather up my conditioner soaked hair, and then rinse out. So it's on for about 15-20 min.

MissBubble
April 3rd, 2014, 04:17 PM
When I am in a hurry, about 5 minutes, until I do the rest of my body.
If I have time or want something more deep, I shampoo and then condition separately from washing my body. I leave the conditioner under a shower cup for about 10- 15 minutes, then I get in the shower, wash the rest, and rinse my hair at the end. So thats about 15-20 minutes.

truepeacenik
April 3rd, 2014, 05:34 PM
Not that long. A few minutes. I don't mess around in the shower since we're in a dire water situation here.

And dire is optimistic.
I turn on water, wet hair and body, turn off, shampoo, water back on to rinse, condition and comb through and soap/scrubbing gloves, if I'm shaving pits, this is when they get done (I'm not attached to it, but my partner has issues. Boys.) water on for a last rinse.

So, the conditioner is on about four minutes, counting the detangling time.