PDA

View Full Version : How do you trim straight across?

longforhim
April 1st, 2014, 05:33 PM
Any suggestions on giving yourself a small trim for a straight across hemline other than Feye's method? I'm wanting to trim about an inch off the back for a more even look, but I'm afraid I'm going to mess it up. I need easy foolproof suggestions please! Thanks!

Larki
April 1st, 2014, 05:37 PM
I'd like a method other than Feye's as well - I tried Feye's method and ended up with a chunk about three inches wide that was a good two inches shorter than the rest!! Wanted to only take off half an inch and ended up having my roommate take off another two inches to fix it. :( Maybe I did it wrong, I don't know, but it didn't work for me.

spidermom
April 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
I have a different method that gives a subtle U-hem rather than straight across. I can tell you if you want to consider this.

Henna Girl
April 1st, 2014, 05:53 PM
I found this on youtube, I hope it is helpful :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0LJ-eSUUSc

longforhim
April 1st, 2014, 06:04 PM
I have a different method that gives a subtle U-hem rather than straight across. I can tell you if you want to consider this.

Yes, I'd like to know! I like both U and straight Hems.

duchess67
April 1st, 2014, 06:05 PM
I like Emichiee's video the most. Linking her YouTube video below. Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI

two_wheels
April 1st, 2014, 06:06 PM
Spidermom, I am interested to hear! (I won't be able to trim my own hair for at least a year, but will need to know then.)

longforhim
April 1st, 2014, 06:13 PM
Thank you everyone for the responses and video links!

alishaxmarie
April 1st, 2014, 07:03 PM
I like Emichiee's video the most. Linking her YouTube video below. Hope you find this helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI

That first one is Feye's self-trim method (http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/). I'm sorry you guys got such awful results with it :( It worked fine for me but you may just need a friend to trim or even your cuts up for you if we can't find a method that's significantly different... Unless Spidermom's method works for you that is! :)

Nadine <3
April 1st, 2014, 07:25 PM
I trim my hair by gathering it in a low pony tail, looking at the ground and gently pulling the hair tie straight down a little bit. Then I add several more pony tails down the entire length. Then I'm left with just the amount I want to trim at the end. I hope I explained this okay.

alishaxmarie
April 1st, 2014, 09:03 PM
There are some more links here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468), at the bottom of the first post!

spidermom
April 1st, 2014, 09:34 PM
This was my method of self-trimming.
1) If you always part in the same place, leave your usual part, but part your hair straight down the middle in the back.
2) Comb each half of your hair smoothly and evenly forward to join into a single ponytail just under your chin. Check to make sure all the hair comes smoothly forward; lumps and crossed-up hair will give uneven results.
3) Now comb the ponytail under your chin straight down.
4) Close a book (I use a child's hard page book) over your ponytail and slide the book down toward the ends until you get to the part that you want to trim. Make sure the book is even, not slanted. Cut straight across the hair protruding from the bottom of the book. Use the bottom of the book as your straight edge.

Be conservative! Cut maybe half the amount you want to trim first, then release your hair and check it in the mirror. If you like the shape, repeat and cut again.

longforhim
April 1st, 2014, 09:48 PM
1) If you always part in the same place, leave your usual part, but part your hair straight down the middle in the back.
2) Comb each half of your hair smoothly and evenly forward to join into a single ponytail just under your chin. Check to make sure all the hair comes smoothly forward; lumps and crossed-up hair will give uneven results.
4) Close a book (I use a child's hard page book) over your ponytail and slide the book down toward the ends until you get to the part that you want to trim. Make sure the book is even, not slanted. Cut straight across the hair protruding from the bottom of the book. Use the bottom of the book as your straight edge.

Be conservative! Cut maybe half the amount you want to trim first, then release your hair and check it in the mirror. If you like the shape, repeat and cut again.

Sounds good! I may test this method on my kid first, haha! My girls are due for hair trims :)

two_wheels
April 2nd, 2014, 03:49 AM
Thanks spidermom, have squirrelled that info away :)

Stiria
April 2nd, 2014, 03:59 AM
Thanks Spidermom! I plan to trim my hair this week, and I want to try a U-shaped hemline.

browneyedsusan
April 2nd, 2014, 06:07 AM

You are a SMARTY! :graduate:
I love the children's book idea; like a diy crea-clip!
Brilliant!!!

veryhairyfairy
April 2nd, 2014, 07:07 AM

Awesome, thanks for sharing this method! I've had really uneven results the two times I tried Feye's method so I'm excited to try this next year. :flower:

VegVampireQueen
April 5th, 2017, 11:51 PM

Ok, I tried this tonight and I have to say I am personally THRILLED with the results! Thank you Spidermom! :)! I have been trimming/cutting my own hair for years and years now, but I could never quite figure out a good way to get a super even straight across style of cut, so when I saw this and knew I was due for a trim (it's been well over six months... I needed it!) I thought I may as well give it a shot with this– so glad I did! Thanks again! :)

Astrid Carlisle
May 17th, 2018, 09:25 AM
I will be definitely trying this method next week when I straight trim my hair first time for myself!! Thank you!

Dark40
May 17th, 2018, 03:00 PM
I trim straight across for a blunt hemline.

mwallingford
May 17th, 2018, 03:52 PM
This is a great idea! Spidermom is clearly a genius!

But if anyone could answer this question, I would be forever in your debt: In order to get it as straight across as possible with a blunt hemline, do you hold your head perfectly straight or do you tilt it upwards or down?

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I'm going to note down Spidermom's method too, so clever! :D

prairie lark
May 17th, 2018, 05:18 PM

But if anyone could answer this question, I would be forever in your debt: In order to get it as straight across as possible with a blunt hemline, do you hold your head perfectly straight or do you tilt it upwards or down?

I look straight ahead.

Wendyp
May 17th, 2018, 05:22 PM

Oh I’m so gonna try this..the back of the head thing was hard for me as my hair grows in a deep v.

mwallingford
May 17th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I look straight ahead.

Thank you so much! :flowers:

I agree, this is honestly an ingenious method, and I almost can't wait to try it

Milady_DeWinter
May 17th, 2018, 11:02 PM
i'd look a liiitle bit to the ground, to avoid an inverted U - just in case!

Blue Mermaid
May 17th, 2018, 11:26 PM

Hairdresser weighs in: look down. When you look up, hair tends to bunch just below the occipital, and you end up with weird scraggly bits or a "Chopped" look on the bottom. Tip your head down and comb straight to get the best hem. The trouble with self trims (or even assisted) is that people try to cut straight across all the hair at once- even performance shears can't handle that much hair. So as you cut, the hair gets "pushed" aside, and the result usually is less than steller. Hair dressers create a guide that is the length they want, and slowly let hair down over it, never losing sight of that guide. This way, the hair doesn't end up too short, and the scissors don't end up "chopping" the hair by trying to cut too much at once. I hope I explained this well!

Edit: if your hair is thin, or if your ends are heavily fairytaled, this probably won't be much of an issue. If your hair is thick, be very aware that there's a finite limit to how much hair scissors can cut at once!

mwallingford
May 18th, 2018, 08:47 PM
i'd look a liiitle bit to the ground, to avoid an inverted U - just in case!

Thanks Milady_DeWinter! I'm so excited to try this! But I'm a little nervous to cut my own hair so I plan to do it after my birthday just in case I mess it up (like I'm sure to do)

mwallingford
May 18th, 2018, 08:50 PM
Hairdresser weighs in: look down. When you look up, hair tends to bunch just below the occipital, and you end up with weird scraggly bits or a "Chopped" look on the bottom. Tip your head down and comb straight to get the best hem. The trouble with self trims (or even assisted) is that people try to cut straight across all the hair at once- even performance shears can't handle that much hair. So as you cut, the hair gets "pushed" aside, and the result usually is less than steller. Hair dressers create a guide that is the length they want, and slowly let hair down over it, never losing sight of that guide. This way, the hair doesn't end up too short, and the scissors don't end up "chopping" the hair by trying to cut too much at once. I hope I explained this well!

Edit: if your hair is thin, or if your ends are heavily fairytaled, this probably won't be much of an issue. If your hair is thick, be very aware that there's a finite limit to how much hair scissors can cut at once!

Thank you so much!!! Now that you've explained it, the process makes a lot of sense; always good to get a professional in on the situation! My hair is pretty thin near the ends since I'm STILL growing out blunt cut bangs from forever ago, so hopefully it won't be *too* bad

PixieP
May 20th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Spidermom's method works great, it's how I've trimmed my hair for the last year and a half. When I did a big trim I got a lovely very soft U.

Astrid Carlisle
May 21st, 2018, 03:36 AM
Do all of you ladies use a thick page book?

PixieP
May 21st, 2018, 03:58 AM
Do all of you ladies use a thick page book?

No I prefer to use a very thin book :)

Astrid Carlisle
May 22nd, 2018, 01:52 AM
By the way, if I have a bit of wave in my hair, should I wet my hair beforehand so the waves straighten out for a more even result? So nothing is scrunched anywhere

lapushka
May 24th, 2018, 03:38 PM
By the way, if I have a bit of wave in my hair, should I wet my hair beforehand so the waves straighten out for a more even result? So nothing is scrunched anywhere

I wait until right before a wash; usually the waves will have sagged quite a bit by then. Then I just dry-brush it out really well. And after the cut, I freshly wash and it comes out as new!

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 01:51 AM
Ooh, nice! Thank you! I did the microtrim on 22nd, on dry hair, I just brushed it out really well... but i feel like I barely cut anything, I was too afraid to mess up the blunt line. some little pieces came off though :stirpot: I will probably try and trim again tomorrow!

lapushka
May 25th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Ooh, nice! Thank you! I did the microtrim on 22nd, on dry hair, I just brushed it out really well... but i feel like I barely cut anything, I was too afraid to mess up the blunt line. some little pieces came off though :stirpot: I will probably try and trim again tomorrow!

Don't be overzealous with trimming. Just once should do it! Don't keep cutting thinking, this is not straight or that is not straight. You get that with wavy hair. Just once should do it. I'd call it good!

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Don't be overzealous with trimming. Just once should do it! Don't keep cutting thinking, this is not straight or that is not straight. You get that with wavy hair. Just once should do it. I'd call it good!

Thank you, Lapushka! This is actually very motivational to stay away from trimming! I took a picture to properly see what's there, I guess any further micro trim won't really make them much better, and splits are higher on the hair.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=31870&d=1527255951

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Random question (and it's probably not the place for it), but is my hair at Midback or close to waist? I cannot understand :/

Milady_DeWinter
May 25th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Random question (and it's probably not the place for it), but is my hair at Midback or close to waist? I cannot understand :/

That is past waist to me! If you have your hand on your hip bone, you are quite close to hip lenght :) Lovely hair BTW!

lapushka
May 25th, 2018, 09:50 AM

Yes for sure that is waist length. And you did great on your trim! :)

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 09:54 AM
That is past waist to me! If you have your hand on your hip bone, you are quite close to hip lenght :) Lovely hair BTW!

No :( the jeans are high waisted, my hipbone is right under my hand, almost where the back pockets start :( i wish it was that long!!

Astrid Carlisle
May 25th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Yes for sure that is waist length. And you did great on your trim! :)

Yaaaaay! Waist length!! Aaaah so exciteddd!!!!

Milady_DeWinter
May 25th, 2018, 10:51 AM
No :( the jeans are high waisted, my hipbone is right under my hand, almost where the back pockets start :( i wish it was that long!!

Anyway it looks like a clear waist lenght to me :) Congrats! I wish my hemline were so even :p

Wendyp
June 2nd, 2018, 09:33 AM
I did the Spidermom version today and it’s much easier then feyas method for me. Microtrimmed like 1/8 of and inch. :cheer:

littlestarface
June 2nd, 2018, 11:17 AM
I did the Spidermom version today and it’s much easier then feyas method for me. Microtrimmed like 1/8 of and inch. :cheer:

Oh yea hers is waaaay easier and looks better than feyes which always comes out weird and crooked. JJJlonghair also has a good hair trimming method way better than feyes as well. http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

Wendyp
June 2nd, 2018, 12:04 PM
Oh yea hers is waaaay easier and looks better than feyes which always comes out weird and crooked. JJJlonghair also has a good hair trimming method way better than feyes as well. http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/JJJ%27s%20Self%20Hair%20Trim%20Method

My hairs not long enough for jjj method but I’ll def try it once it gets there.

melon
September 5th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Thank you Spidermom for the method and the rest of you for all the tips!
I just attempted to trim my hair for the first time and am pleasantly surprised by the result :)
Glad to have found this forum. My unkempt ends were in dire need of a trim and this was exactly what I needed.

MusicalSpoons
September 5th, 2018, 02:17 PM

This method seems to be very successful for many people. I have a couple of questions though:
When you comb, is it straight down from the parting, with the comb parallel to the side of your head? What about ears - behind the ears or in front?
Also, how do those with hair longer than fingertip manage this, please? I quite like the look of JJJ's method but I don't get how the hair all stays even when pulling it round from the back to front, and my ends are so thin there's no room for even slight unevenness if anything has crossed over or not quite straightened out in the process. I will only want to microtrim/dust when I start to trim next year, so I want to maximise my chances of getting it right first time :)

littlestarface
September 5th, 2018, 02:31 PM
This method seems to be very successful for many people. I have a couple of questions though:
When you comb, is it straight down from the parting, with the comb parallel to the side of your head? What about ears - behind the ears or in front?
Also, how do those with hair longer than fingertip manage this, please? I quite like the look of JJJ's method but I don't get how the hair all stays even when pulling it round from the back to front, and my ends are so thin there's no room for even slight unevenness if anything has crossed over or not quite straightened out in the process. I will only want to microtrim/dust when I start to trim next year, so I want to maximise my chances of getting it right first time :)

With spidermoms way you comb it as if you have no ears so don't tuck the hair behind the ears and try to comb it so that the front hairs are in front and back hairs are toward your shoulders so that its a nice even cut.

With JJJs way you comb it you know like with the brush around the waist so that all the ends are lined up together, then you gather the hair from the side and push it in so that it gathers in your hand then bring it around your hips and cut like that. The first time I did it I got a really straight cut I couldn't believe it, cuz with feyes method I kept getting lopsided hair.

https://i.imgur.com/FvUJy9I.jpg Thats after JJJ method, iv'e since cut it using spidermoms since I like U better.

leayellena
September 6th, 2018, 12:02 AM
I use feye´s method to trim a mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWRJ57j1AyI

MusicalSpoons
September 6th, 2018, 07:03 AM
With spidermoms way you comb it as if you have no ears so don't tuck the hair behind the ears and try to comb it so that the front hairs are in front and back hairs are toward your shoulders so that its a nice even cut.

With JJJs way you comb it you know like with the brush around the waist so that all the ends are lined up together, then you gather the hair from the side and push it in so that it gathers in your hand then bring it around your hips and cut like that. The first time I did it I got a really straight cut I couldn't believe it, cuz with feyes method I kept getting lopsided hair.

https://i.imgur.com/FvUJy9I.jpg Thats after JJJ method, iv'e since cut it using spidermoms since I like U better.

Oh fab! Great explanations, thank you - and your hair! Stunning as always :thud: :cloud9:

I have a couple of other questions but not much brainpower right now, so just wanted to thank you for your response :)

Deborah
November 13th, 2018, 01:18 PM
I just cut my hair, about six inches off :scissors: , using Spidermom's method WITH a generic Crea Clip that I already had. Easiest ever, and I was able to have complete control.

The Crea Clip worked well, but I really needed someone else to do the actual cutting at my back. Now I can do it myself. I used to do Feye's method, but it was trickier and I usually had to work to even it up. Now it's a breeze! Thanks Spidermom! :flower:

sugar&nutmeg
November 13th, 2018, 09:00 PM
I wish there were a video of trimming using Spidermom's 'book' method. I struggle to visualize instruction steps from words.

HAJ
December 15th, 2018, 10:25 PM
I wish there were a video of trimming using Spidermom's 'book' method. I struggle to visualize instruction steps from words.
I just tried this and was confused by the book part as well. I ended up using my flat iron (unplugged) as my guide which worked really well. I just followed the ponytail down with it to the ends then slowly cut across.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 04:19 AM
I just tried this and was confused by the book part as well. I ended up using my flat iron (unplugged) as my guide which worked really well. I just followed the ponytail down with it to the ends then slowly cut across.

Welcome to the forum! :)
Congrats on your "maiden" post!

HAJ
December 16th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Welcome to the forum! :)
Congrats on your "maiden" post!
Thanks 😄 I've been looking around threads here for years and decided I really needed to join up. It's great to finally be a part of it all 😶😆😀

Corvana
December 16th, 2018, 05:36 PM
~snip~ iv'e since cut it using spidermoms since I like U better.

I'll be trimming on the first, and thought I'd start getting prepared! I love soft U hems, and would like to use spidermom's method. How would I make sure it's a U shape and not straight across? Will it go that way automatically, or should I be tilting my head a little bit one way or the other?

littlestarface
December 16th, 2018, 06:00 PM
I'll be trimming on the first, and thought I'd start getting prepared! I love soft U hems, and would like to use spidermom's method. How would I make sure it's a U shape and not straight across? Will it go that way automatically, or should I be tilting my head a little bit one way or the other?

For a U like mine look straight forward while your sliding down the book, for a softer U then tilt your head abit up. And yes with spidermoms method its gonna be a U cuz its bringing the hair forward but the tilts or straight a head is for deepness or softness. Also make sure when your combing the hair out in front of you, that your laying your hair right like in spidermoms diagram. I never get a wonky trim with this method so I hope it works for you too.