PDA

View Full Version : Buzzfeed sympathizes with our long hair problems :P

LongHairLesbian
April 1st, 2014, 05:14 PM
Found this on buzzfeed's facebook wall today. What would you ladies and gents add?

Personally, I would disagree that long hairs use tons more shampoo than short hairs. I use the same amount of shampoo on my hair at waist length as I did at shoulder length. Conditioner, on the other hand...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hillarylevine/21-problems-only-people-with-long-hair-understand

Aderyn
April 1st, 2014, 05:51 PM
Having shed hair get everywhere. Felt they didn't do that justice. And just generally being in the way when worn down no matter what you do. And the wind. Oh dear god, the wind.

Larki
April 1st, 2014, 06:01 PM
The more shampoo thing is probably only an issue if you're shampooing the length as well as the scalp, which I don't think anyone here does. That's the only way I can see long hair meaning more shampoo.

PrincessIdril
April 1st, 2014, 06:36 PM
The more shampoo thing is probably only an issue if you're shampooing the length as well as the scalp, which I don't think anyone here does. That's the only way I can see long hair meaning more shampoo.

I'm sure plenty of folks here shampoo their length. I do

Long_hair_bear
April 1st, 2014, 06:43 PM
I lightly shampoo my length. ;)

Even so, I use gobs and gobs of conditioner!

Hootenanny
April 1st, 2014, 06:51 PM
Is it just me, or does the "shampoo" in the vid look suspiciously like conditioner? In which case, I agree with the "using tons." ;)

Nadine <3
April 1st, 2014, 08:12 PM
If anything I use less shampoo. When my hair was short I had to wash daily because the grease on my head had nowhere to go. The longer it gets, the less I use. I use a ton of conditioner though, so that makes up for it.

I eat my hair a lot lol and shed hair is EVERYWHERE.

Jumper
April 1st, 2014, 09:11 PM
I shampoo my length. The people who claim the length of their hair doesn't really get dirty must not spend time in dusty barns.

I have a big "people petting me" problem if I leave it down. Or if I do a fun braid.

TheHowlingWolf
April 1st, 2014, 10:21 PM
LOL! I thought the "bun never stays centered" and "neck dreadlock" was just me! all the others are funny too! But I think they should have said conditioner instead of shampoo because I go through conditioner like nobody's business! Not shampoo.

MaryO
April 2nd, 2014, 03:12 AM
I identified most with the fear of hairdressers one! :-O

Long_hair_bear
April 2nd, 2014, 12:50 PM
I identified most with the fear of hairdressers one! :-O

me too..... /cringe

Vanilla
April 2nd, 2014, 05:24 PM
I giggled about the neck dreadlock. I always have a few of those :)

Brattina88
April 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
I laughed at the dip part. I seem to always have that problem ;)

spidermom
April 2nd, 2014, 05:49 PM
Most of the time, I only shampoo the scalp. My length gets cleaned during the rinse when the suds run down the length, also when I massage conditioner through.

I don't use a lot of conditioner, either. I used to get 8 or 10 pumps and work gobs of it through my hair, but really - it doesn't take gobs. 2 pumps massaged and finger-combed through my length does a good job.

truepeacenik
April 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM
In the comment, there's a reference to "special time" and the need for a tie for particular activities.
Related to eating your hair....:eyebrows:

melusine963
April 2nd, 2014, 11:01 PM
I love that video. That said, many of those problems are completely avoidable if you wear updos. :)

GoddessLocks
April 3rd, 2014, 12:02 AM
Lol! I agree with lots of these problems

LavenderStar
April 3rd, 2014, 01:35 AM
What about getting caught in doors?

Bagginslover
April 3rd, 2014, 05:29 AM
I love that video. That said, many of those problems are completely avoidable if you wear updos. :)

This^ Plus the 'its still down, even when its up......ponytails aren't really up though, are they?

browneyedsusan
April 3rd, 2014, 07:50 AM
Very funny!
I'm experiencing those things for the first time in my life. :)

Scarlet_Heart
April 3rd, 2014, 09:53 AM
The cuddle snag and the neck dreadlock spoke to me personally. :P

The headbanging though, eek. Never!

Stray_mind
April 3rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
hehe.. Funny video. And truth. I can't wait untill i'll have these "problems" again :D

Toffeemonster
April 3rd, 2014, 10:43 AM
That was funny but obviously not true for everyone. Made me giggle :)

AmyBeth
April 3rd, 2014, 12:19 PM
The neck dreadlock, ugh! Even through updos and braids, there is no escape.

tetisheri72
April 3rd, 2014, 02:51 PM
I have to admit, I do occasionally headbang. I did as a teenager, and sometimes the kids at church talk me into it again. They think it's so funny. So, I do. It doesn't hurt every now and again.

YamaMaya
April 3rd, 2014, 03:30 PM
DIRTY BRUSHES! I so have this problem and I constantly have to wash my TT because it gets that greasy fluff.

darklyndsea
April 3rd, 2014, 04:49 PM
DIRTY BRUSHES! I so have this problem and I constantly have to wash my TT because it gets that greasy fluff.

Ugh, yes. How can I get a comb dirty in one combing session on hair that's just been washed? It makes no sense.

Allie_snowflake
April 3rd, 2014, 05:46 PM
I constantly run mine up into the seatbelt and I've rolled it up in the car window MANY TIMES. I look like a weirdo leaning over into the passenger seat just so I can power up my window. Caught on bag straps too. I'm trying to wear it up more often now... But then I get the off-center droopy bun.... I'm just a mess :cool:

tigereye
April 3rd, 2014, 05:53 PM
I shampoo my length. The people who claim the length of their hair doesn't really get dirty must not spend time in dusty barns.

I have a big "people petting me" problem if I leave it down. Or if I do a fun braid.

Oh yes, I know the dusty barn problem. Having been around horses much of my life, I know the mess it can make. Though braids usually at least limit the damage. :p
That said, I never did shampoo my length often. I just found massaging conditioner in did a far better job at cleaning the dirt out than shampoo ever did for my length. Probably because shampooing the mength meant wet tangles, and tangles meant trapped dirt.

cathair
April 3rd, 2014, 06:15 PM
I have to admit, I do occasionally headbang. I did as a teenager, and sometimes the kids at church talk me into it again. They think it's so funny. So, I do. It doesn't hurt every now and again.

What's the point if you can't headbang every now and again :)

tetisheri72
April 4th, 2014, 12:14 AM
What's the point if you can't headbang every now and again :)

Exactly! It's a lot of fun.

ravenreed
April 4th, 2014, 12:52 AM
I typically shampoo my length and not my scalp. My scalp hates SLS but my hair actually likes it.

lapushka
April 4th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Hahahaha! I thought that video was cute, nonetheless. :D

In my case, since it's a clarify wash weekly, I do use more shampoo, and more conditioner as well.

chen bao jun
April 4th, 2014, 01:25 PM
All the people pictured have very different hairtype than mine so not everything applies. And some of the problems are just 'lots of hair' problems, so equally apply to thick hair. I can never keep shower drains clean at any length and I basically bust hair ties as soon as my hair is long enough to put into one. Ditto with people stroking my head. they do at any length because people are attracted to curls. And I would never have a problem with my bun staying in the middle of my head. My hair stays where I put it. It's not slippery. As for the 'neck dreadlock' I never even heard of this until recently. I never get dreadlocks if I braid my hair every night and I always start to get dreadlocks all over if I sleep with loose for a couple nights, not only at the neck.
When I flat iron my hair (which I don't do partly because the texture change is annoying to me, I hate it flipping all over, probably because I'm not used to this), then I have the bag strap and issues of that type.
My hair does have a certain amount of movement, even if its not exactly 'flip' in its natural state though once it gets long enough (past the 'triangle' stage--you curlies know what I mean) and I tend to think of that as 'my hair is all over the place, in my eyes, my mouth, under my bra strap, in my glasses joint, making me hot and annoying me' so I always wore it up or pulled back a lot even before LHC and as someone else pointed it, that solved 99% of the issues.
It was a funny article, I enjoyed it.

AmberMuffinz
April 4th, 2014, 01:46 PM
SHEDDING. There is hair on everything in my house! Okay well, probably anyway. It's ridiculous. I don't know how I can have so much hair with how much I shed LOL. I have almost eaten my hair on several occasions as well.

I don't wear my hair down unless I'm just at home all day... I think the reasoning for this is obvious hahaha. Long hair problems though.

YamaMaya
April 4th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Ugh, yes. How can I get a comb dirty in one combing session on hair that's just been washed? It makes no sense.

It's a mystery for the ages :hmm:

hypersensitive
April 4th, 2014, 02:59 PM
HAHA! Love it! All of them apply except like others have mentioned, the shampoo thing. I only shampoo my length when there is product or oils in my canopy. Thanks for much for sharing! I'm gonna repost to my fb feed ^.^

ScarlettAdelle
April 4th, 2014, 09:21 PM
I use more shampoo, but only because I want to get the product out that's been chillin' in there for a week from my roller set and daily hair spray. Because of this I wash 3 times and then condition once, and only condition the last 10 inches, so I use a ton of shampoo...

Ocelan
April 5th, 2014, 10:37 AM
Car doors. I rarely wear my hair down when I go out but for a special event, when I am about to safely lift my hair away from the seatbelt, some strands just love staying hanging out around the door when I pull it shut. This happens especially when I'm in a hurry. Normal doors still are a new experience to me, unless it means door knobs...