PDA

View Full Version : I need hair advice/help please!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2014, 03:04 PM
My hair began looking as if it had too much coconut oil in it, so I decided to CO it out. I put CO on and let it sit for an hour before washing it.The oil didn't come out. I tried shampooing (twice). No result. I tried CO again (a different one), letting it sit for an hour. Didn't work. I tried a clarifying shampoo (twice), it improved a little. I tried shampooing with dishwashing liquid as a last resort (diluted) - it didn't seem to help much.
Now I feel as if I have run out of ideas plus I feel as if I am torturing my hair. It has never felt like this before. From the ears down it feels, oily, sticky and grabby, as if it has had glue spread through it. It is slightly better than it was, and I had thought that clarifying would fix it - it didn't - so help, please? Does anyone know what the solution might be? You can sort of see it in this photo from last night: Would it need moisturizing? It always gets plenty of conditioner/small amount of oil. Or protein?

Advice please...

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF3950.jpg

sarahthegemini
April 1st, 2014, 03:08 PM
If your hair is still oily, what about using dry shampoo to soak up the excess oil and then shampooing that out?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2014, 03:13 PM
I just can't believe it would still be oily after all that shampooing though, surely not? But no, I haven't tried dry shampoo....Normally oil just comes straight out with a CO soaking.

sarahthegemini
April 1st, 2014, 03:21 PM
I just can't believe it would still be oily after all that shampooing though, surely not? But no, I haven't tried dry shampoo....Normally oil just comes straight out with a CO soaking.

It is strange! Maybe try full strength dish soap, lather it and leave it on your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing. It'll dry your hair out tho :(

lapushka
April 1st, 2014, 03:34 PM
It is strange! Maybe try full strength dish soap, lather it and leave it on your hair for 5 minutes before rinsing. It'll dry your hair out tho :(

I recommend doing this with a "regular" clarifying shampoo, *not* dishwashing liquid, surely!

Maybe you haven't clarified enough in between CO washing? Maybe the oil just got to be too much at this one point?

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2014, 03:36 PM
I did use a clarifying shampoo - twice! With some improvement but not a lot. Should I try it again and just let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before washing it out?

OhiKennedy
April 1st, 2014, 04:17 PM
Good grief, how strange! Sounds like you may be in uncharted territory, & perhaps dealing with a rare stubborn mixture of oils on your hair.

Since you say your hair is sticky & grabby & feels like it has glue in it, you might try adhesive remover on some hidden test strands to see what happens. Adhesive/glue remover is used to remove the glue when you take out hair extensions. There are oodles of brands & forms; you should be able to get some in a beauty supply store.

FWIW, I have used liquid dishwashing soap on my hair, followed by shampooing & conditioning, when it was filthy-oily (camping without free access to water except salt-water-marsh water--I was afraid I'd get brine shrimp! ;-). It didn't do any noticeable damage, tho' of course I'd only recommend it in exceptional circumstances.

sarahthegemini
April 1st, 2014, 04:23 PM
I recommend doing this with a "regular" clarifying shampoo, *not* dishwashing liquid, surely!

Maybe you haven't clarified enough in between CO washing? Maybe the oil just got to be too much at this one point?

A clarifying shampoo has already failed, hence the dishwash liquid suggestion. Although I suppose it might be worth trying it again and leaving it in for a few minutes before rinsing. Then try the dishwash soap if that fails.

I did use a clarifying shampoo - twice! With some improvement but not a lot. Should I try it again and just let the shampoo sit for a few minutes before washing it out?

Go for it :)

darklyndsea
April 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM

Letting clarifying shampoo sit for a bit does increase its effect. It's worth a try.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 1st, 2014, 04:44 PM
I forgot to mention that we have hard water here, don't know if that would have any effect or not.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 4th, 2014, 09:24 PM
I clarified and let the shampoo sit there for a while. Today I tried chelating my hair as we have hard water. I have before and after pics:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF3994.jpg (before chelating)

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF3999.jpg (after chelating - hair is dry and combed through)

Have you EVER seen anything so disgusting?

To sum up, I have shampooed, tried soaking it in conditioner and washing it out, tried a dry shampoo, tried clarifying, and today tried chelating - I am getting desperate here - what else can I try to get my hair looking normal? The only thing I did with it before it started looking/feeling odd was use a little coconut oil, mineral oil and Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve. From the ears downwards.

Honestly I am at my wits' end. I just want to CUT IT OFF. What else can I try? My SO says not to worry, it will come right, but HOW????!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME....

Marbid
April 4th, 2014, 10:10 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/archive/index.php/t-51737.html

http://www.short-hair-style.com/sticky-residue-on-hair-no-matter-what-i-wash-it-in.html

Um this is what i have to add..

I have come across this on this forum before, not just once... Some one once said it was hydral fatigue... Other say it is because of a bad chemical reaction ... Some people say they had success with dawn dish wash soap..

You said that a clarifying shampoo helped.. Just a bit.... If you want to cut it because of this, don't be afraid to go all out first... Try full strength dawn dish wash soap... I read success stories on it.

Try thoroughly drying out your hair, perhaps the cortex is overflowing with moisture and is producing this sticky substance... Dry out your hair after you try dawn..

Also, look thru the lhc archive.. ( i spend my days just reading stuff here endlessly ) this has happened before to others... The one i posted, and once again not too long ago.. Read what people suggested there and if they fixed it..

It would be a shame to cut your hair, before you do that, exhaust all of your options... Otherwise, even if it happens again, in the same situation after cutting it, you would still not have an answer and cut again.

Go hardcore.. Try your best first.

Tini'sNewHair
April 4th, 2014, 10:12 PM
Thats so strange!! :o I always have to wash 3times to get the oil out which is why i dont oil anymore, cant be bothered with all the after nonsense. The only time I had a very very hard time getting my hair back is when I used a voluminizing spray, it left this super sticky glue gloss on half of my head and nothing I tried for weeks at end didnt take it off, I was distraught. I cant even remember what took it off but I do remember just having it up and wearing hats then ignoring it, maybe it just needed lots of washes over time until it came off. Thats one scary bit about experimenting, you just dont know what will happen. And now a change of subject, Sarah look at your hair its waist!!!!! Its grown so much since your siggy, claim it already!!! :)

Marbid
April 4th, 2014, 10:22 PM
What tini says could work too...

You can always try ignoring it for a while and it might just go away on its own.... Things tend to never stay for ever....

spidermom
April 4th, 2014, 10:45 PM
The original formula of Dawn dishwashing liquid will take Vaseline out of hair; I learned that first hand.

I have seborrheic dermatitis and have a special shampoo that I have to lather in and let sit 5 minutes. I was afraid that medicated shampoo would dry my hair out, but honestly, it seems to have only benefited my hair.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 4th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Thats so strange!! :o I always have to wash 3times to get the oil out which is why i dont oil anymore, cant be bothered with all the after nonsense. The only time I had a very very hard time getting my hair back is when I used a voluminizing spray, it left this super sticky glue gloss on half of my head and nothing I tried for weeks at end didnt take it off, I was distraught. I cant even remember what took it off but I do remember just having it up and wearing hats then ignoring it, maybe it just needed lots of washes over time until it came off. Thats one scary bit about experimenting, you just dont know what will happen. And now a change of subject, Sarah look at your hair its waist!!!!! Its grown so much since your siggy, claim it already!!! :)

Nope! Still half an inch to go - honest! If I ever get my hair sorted out I will leave the experimenting alone for a while I think! Marbid, thanks for the links I will hop on there and have a look. All advice is welcome!

ErinLeigh
April 5th, 2014, 12:46 AM
What is your usual routine?
This is so crazy! I wonder what happened. Are you using cones in the products or no? I wonder if another type of oiling can help loosen the coconut then wash out easier? I am sure you never want to see oil again though! IT may work though..something slippery like olive to help that coconut and shea slide out, then..

I would try one more gentle thing before going back to harsh detergents. This way even if it doesn't work you haven;t stripped hair so worth a try. I would try a honey cowash. Almost Equal parts Honey and VO5 or Suave, heavier on the conditioner side. Regular honey not raw...I think the raw would be too gummy after all you have been through. Mixing honey takes out the heaviest oiling for me and I go bananas with oil. Follow with a lemon, citric acid or vinegar rinse.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 01:15 AM
The shampoo and conditioner I normally use do have cones. But I have been using cones all my life and have never had any problem with them.

My usual routine is S and C, then apply a little mineral oil - a couple of drops whilst damp. Sometimes a little coconut oil. Just recently tried Nightblooming's Hair Panacea Hair Salve.

When I remember I do a water/white vinegar rinse after washing. That's all. In my mister bottle I have water and a couple of drops of lavender oil, but don't mist very often.

We have hard water here.

I have just washed with dishwashing liquid (cringe) and am waiting for my hair to dry now....

ETA: My SO just saw that I was upset and came and gave me a hug and said "Don't worry about it sweet cheeks, it will sort itself out. Your hair is beautiful just like you are." Sniff - he's so sweet!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 04:03 AM
So, I washed with undiluted dishwashing detergent. Whatever it is is STILL there. I'm pretty tired of trying things now, so may just let it be for a while and see if it will go away on its own:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF4002.jpg

two_wheels
April 5th, 2014, 04:39 AM
I think you're doing the right thing letting it be for a while. Worth having a couple of weeks where you're not happy with it, and then maybe it comes out, vs cutting and having to grow again and not knowing whether it might have solved itself.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 04:41 AM
Exactly. I would be heart broken if I cut it. And maybe it will sort itself out with time. Poor hair has been suffering...

Tini'sNewHair
April 5th, 2014, 04:46 AM
Yeah Sarah just let it be for a while - It could take upto 50 washes (hopefully not tho) until it comes out but obviosly you cant do all that many washes at once so you will have to let it happen over time. Im pretty sure thats what i did after trying a crazy ammount of things to get the sticky crap out (I even used mouth wash, crazy). Please dont even think about cutting it, we all know how LONG it takes for you to reach a milestone because your back is soooo long haha we just had that convs. :p

threadOfGold
April 5th, 2014, 05:01 AM
If this helps all the pictures you've posted of your hair, are beautiful! Your hair looks gorgeous. Maybe you can feel a weird substance but I can't see it! I remember years ago I used a shampoo that stuck in my hair for like a week, it made my hair really flat and greasy looking. It came out after a few washes, but I sympathise with how you feel. Luckily enough you have so many updo and braid ideas on LHC that could help you disguise it! Good luck. P.s: please don't give up and cut your hair! Elle

MinderMutsig
April 5th, 2014, 05:36 AM
This is how my hair looked and behaved after a MO experiment. I'd nix the MO and give it time and a couple of washes. IMHO MO is nasty stuff that should never be used on hair. And yes I know there are users that claim succes with MO.

Carolyn
April 5th, 2014, 06:16 AM
You said you tried CO washing to get the stuff off your hair. What conditioner are you using? You said your products contain cones. If your CO conditioner has cones I suspect that might be the problem. I would just suggest VO5 or Suave without cones, put it on dry hair and leave for 2 or 3 hours. Really load your hair up with conditioner. Don't be afraid to use A LOT. Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap and cover that with a Turbie Twist or some kind of hair towel. Your body heat and the towel will get your hair really warm. Even if this doesn't work it's not going to be as harsh as the dish washing liquid. If that doesn't work put your hair up in a bun or braid and leave it alone for a while.

CurlyCap
April 5th, 2014, 06:22 AM
Having read the thread, I wonder if it's a nasty reaction between the cones and the oil you used.

Back when I used coney conditioners and serums, I never really noticed that they left the lightest coating on the hair. That's what they were for and that's why they smooth the hair. I also used to heavily oil my hair because I'd been taught to since I was a kid. It was my hair stylist who pointed out that sometimes my hair had this tacky texture, like the worst tarry build-up ever. My hair texture masked it and I didn't see it, so she stuck a lock of my hair in a hot roller for a few minutes, and the result looked a lot like your first picture.

Basically, the oil was stuck to the cones and the cones were stuck to my hair. It didn't matter how much I shampoo'd because the soap wasn't getting to the hair shaft. It was just...sliding...off the coating.

The good news is that it went away with several (4-6weeks) of co-washing. If you quit adding more water insoluble products to your hair, the conditioner slowly washes it away until you get back to the hair shaft.

The bad news is there is no short cut. I did a lot of what you did (shampoo'd my hair to the point of torture), only to realize slow and steady wins the race.

I'd co-wash or use a gentle SLS-free S/C regiment for a few weeks, keeping your hair out of sight and mind until you can re-evaluate.

Toffeemonster
April 5th, 2014, 06:28 AM
This is really odd! I can't imagine it's the coconut oil itself, it sounds like it's bonded to something else in your hair. Is it definitely 100% coconut oil you used? I'm sure being a lhc member, you know your oils! But I did once have my husband buy me coconut hair oil, that it turned out was mostly mineral oil with a tiny bit of coconut! And mineral oil pretty much makes my hair look like yours right now! (although it washed out fine but I only used a little and washed out with shampoo, rather than co or any other weaker options)

If you get desperate enough to use dishwasher liquid, don't worry, I have done it too, it's not bad at all, not much worse than regular shampoo imho. Just be careful to choose one that rinses easily, some are very thick and hard to get off anything. Best of luck, I'm sure it'll be fine in a week or two, keep washing :)

Toffeemonster
April 5th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Oh and it's probably really obvious, but did you try using quite warm water? As coconut hardens when cold, cold water may cause it to stick.

Soltimus
April 5th, 2014, 06:34 AM
Wow, I really hope you find a solution to this and soon! Maybe try not using cones, MO etc for a bit so as to let nothing that can stick to your hair, well, stick to your hair? Just have a period where you only using simple products to see if it'll clean out your hair over time (the nearest future, I'm hoping for here).

Brattina88
April 5th, 2014, 06:43 AM
I always gave to use conditioner to get out oil, shampoo never seems to work for me, so I usually CWC. I've never had your exact problem though :( I feel so bad for you. I was going to suggest sumilar to above (condition with suave or VO5) but mostly I just wanted to wish you good luck <3

lapushka
April 5th, 2014, 06:46 AM
The only thing you can do is keep it up and meanwhile on your regular wash days keep clarifying. That's all. And live with it for a while. I'm sure it'll get better slowly. Meanwhile lay off all of the oils and the panacea! Seriously. I strongly suspect you are over-oiling!

swearnsue
April 5th, 2014, 08:53 AM
Sorry to hear you are having a problem with your hair. You are one of my Hair Heroes that inspire me every time I see your siggy.

I have a long term type of suggestion. Install a shower head water filter. They don't cost that much and filters only need to be changed every 6 months and are often on sale.

I have very hard water and I HAVE to have a shower head water filter for my hair and my skin too. It really makes a difference.

Remember, underneath that weird combination of sticky junk is beautiful hair.

spidermom
April 5th, 2014, 09:00 AM
The picture near the end of page 2 looks a lot better than the picture before it. I know others have enjoyed success with it, but I don'l like mineral oil in my hair, either. I never have problems with prewash coconut oiling, though. I'm pretty conservative in the amount that I use on my length (never on my scalp).

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 03:25 PM
Wow, thank you all for your replies! I may try cone free CO washing for a while and see if that helps at all... see if it gradually comes out over time. I am guessing it is products sitting on there being incompatible with each other which are causing it. They may be coating the hair shaft and preventing the water actually getting through to clean it. ETA: Swearnsue, I am your hair hero! LOL but thank you, you have brightened my day!

I did soak my dry hair in VO5 conditioner, really glopped it on and left it on for an hour before washing it out. Maybe it needs to be left on longer.

I have been using warm water to wash it with too.

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
I had something similar happen with a conditioner that had waxes in it. I switched products and something didn't like something else. I got a horrible gummy feeling that took a while to go away. IIRC, I clarified several times and used SLS shampoo before conditioning instead of doing the CO method that I normally use.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I had something similar happen with a conditioner that had waxes in it. I switched products and something didn't like something else. I got a horrible gummy feeling that took a while to go away. IIRC, I clarified several times and used SLS shampoo before conditioning instead of doing the CO method that I normally use.

Ravenreed, what is SLS shampoo?

lapushka
April 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Ravenreed, what is SLS shampoo?

Sulfates-containing shampoo.

ravenreed
April 5th, 2014, 04:49 PM
I find 'regular' shampoo with sulfates work better for my hair than shampoos without sulfates. Additionally, they are better for me at removing buildup, which is pretty much the only reason I shampoo at all. Normally I CO. However, we have insanely hard water here and I find that a good shampooing now and then goes a long way towards keeping my hair happy.

kidari
April 5th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread but my 2 cents: anything that has shea butter in it used as a leave-in leaves my hair feeling exactly like how you described. A regular shampoo or a chelating one (different from clarifying) lathered up and left in a couple minutes prior to rinsing very thoroughly has helped me. I noticed you said that you recently added the Nightblooming salve to your routine and I think it has shea butter. In the past I have used commercial leave-ins as well as my own mixes with 100% natural shea butter in it and it leaves my hair feeling sticky and frizzy and dull and it is difficult to remove. I'm not sure if you are opposed to cones but a deep conditioner followed by a leave-in laden with cones works well for me after the chelating shampoo.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 5th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Well the only thing I have done differently with my routine has been to use the Nightblooming salve. So it could be that causing the problem. It is certainly sticky and gluey and dull. Now, how to get it out - that is the question. ETA I normally always use cones.

excentricat
April 5th, 2014, 09:38 PM
You've mentioned your hard water and doing acid rinses when you remember. It might help to make them a priority for awhile. Just S/C/A and put it up for several regular wash cycles and see if that helps.

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2014, 02:05 AM
Well, today I went to the hairdressers' in desperation to see what advice they had. They said to slather my hair in undiluted dishwashing liquid on dry hair and let it sit there for a few minutes, then massage it into the hair before rinsing. Then to re-apply, re-massage, rinse. Then shampoo with shampoo, not to use any conditioner.

So this is the result - hair feels much lighter in texture, not so sticky and grabby. It still looks and feels oily though, but better than before. Maybe I am on the right track.

They also told me I should be washing it three times a week... I doubt that. I think slow and steady repeats of the above will solve the problem but it may take a little time.

Hair tonight:

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF4070.jpg

Natalia
April 9th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Did you try baking soda yet? That can be drying and helpful for removing oil. I would try dissolving 1 teaspoon in a tiny bit of hot water then add to whatever amount you use to wash with. You can up it from there if you want to. Glad its improving hope the rest of that ick feeeling goes away

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2014, 02:53 AM
Yes I have tried Baking Soda. It didn't do much. :)

Toffeemonster
April 9th, 2014, 02:58 AM
It's looking much better Sarah! And none the worse for the washing up liquid, I'd say it'll wear off in the next few weeks, if your hair is up no one need know :D

Toffeemonster
April 9th, 2014, 02:59 AM
ps seriously! Your waves, shine and colour are amazing!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 9th, 2014, 03:30 AM
Thank you so much Toffeemonster, you are making me feel better!

Yes I have a feeling it will gradually wash out over time...

Natalia
April 9th, 2014, 11:49 PM
Im sorry the baking soda didnt work i hope the rest of what your trying keep diminishing it

Sarahlabyrinth
April 12th, 2014, 04:23 PM
Well, the problem seems to be resolved now. I had to wash another 4 times with dishwashing soap, undiluted, and then twice with normal shampoo and not use any conditioner at all. My hair is feeling silky once again:)

two_wheels
April 12th, 2014, 04:24 PM
Yayyy! Happy for you :flower:

spidermom
April 12th, 2014, 04:43 PM
I had a similar experience years ago when I was still experimenting with recommendations that other LHC members liked. My hair got icky and grabby and I thought I had ruined it. Then my snake released musk all over me while I was handling him (horrible smell). It got in my hair, and I had to wash it 4 times in a row to get the snake ick out. Lo and behold, my hair was shiny and silky and wonderful again. So either a) snake musk is very good for hair or b) I needed to get a lot of buildup off. I'm going with b.

Isilme
April 12th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I'm glad you are back to normal! I did a heavy oiling two weeks ago to get rid of some excessive henna, I think I used 3-4 dl of olive oil. Well, never again! I wouldn't lie if I say I think it took me fifteen shampoos to get rid of all that oil!

alanna77
April 12th, 2014, 09:57 PM
I had a very similar experience about a year ago after using coconut oil for the first time and using way too much of it. Undiluted Dawn dish soap all the way. It still took me a week to stop looking like a grease monster, but I'm not sure shampoo would have had enough oomph to get it out.

ErinLeigh
April 12th, 2014, 10:26 PM
I am glad you found something that helped.
You hair looks fantastic :)

Sarahlabyrinth
April 13th, 2014, 01:55 AM
Thank you, Erin Leigh!:D It's a big relief!

retrotussi
April 13th, 2014, 03:10 AM
Wow, I am very glad your problem is solved! OMG that was a journey, huh? :D
I hope your hair will regenerate soon! :)